Charm Cube (Shards/Wedges)

Rob Dennis

Developer
I think the theory is sound sound, and you have Boros Charm as wipe protection so I think it'd work. I'll put some thought into my build and post over the weekend. I think your opponents are going to be worried if they get down to ~8 just thanks to the Blood Artist effects plus the other reach.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hey Rob - no idea if you or your playgroup is interested or not, but I figured I'd capture some fleeting thoughts before my increasingly limited memory purges them entirely. Below is my draft post-mortem of the first 22 rounds, as much as I can remember it.

============================================================

I was fortunate enough to be in the 8th seat, so all my picks came two at a time with the wheel position.

From a cursory glance over the list, my initial impressions were that many of the stand-alone powerful cards that didn't require synergy - your Olivia Voldarens, Lightning Helixes, Grenzos, and Bloodbraid Elfs - were in all the colours except blue, so my general plan from the outset was to avoid blue. It's possible that blue had enough synergy cards to make up for its lack of raw power, but in a rotisserie draft where those synergies could be stolen or even just inadvertently blocked, I didn't want to take the risk. Lingering Souls seemed like the out-and-out strongest card in the cube, so I was delighted when it fell to me 8th pick overall. Blood Artist is a bit of an underrated man, but is straightforward when pairing with the best token maker in the business. In retrospect, I should have noticed that Casey was probably gunning for this archetype with his pick of Goblin Bombardment 5th overall, which is far and away the best sacrifice outlet available. But despite that, I was loathe to pass over the raw power of Souls, and no one else had yet staked an explicit claim on this archetype.

While it could be argued that this is an early spot to be taking a four drop that relies on synergy, I valued the redundancy that Falkenrath Noble provided, as there's nothing quite like these two vampires. Rob's opinion was that Secure the Wastes is a stronger token maker than Triplicate Spirits in this environment, and without having played his list, I have to assume he's right. Without in-depth knowledge of the format, I figured the evasion would come in handy, though it’s hard to argue with the flexibility and surprise factor in Secure the Wastes. In any case, these first four picks allowed me to plant my flag on the tokens archetype, and hope that other folks would keep a safe distance. Zealous Persecution was nabbed immediately after my picks, which is perhaps the card I didn’t get in the draft that I most would’ve liked to have. That also made it clear that I would be sharing Orzhov with possibly multiple other drafters, but it never really crossed my mind to switch out of black or white, as I felt that the actual token build-around cards would not be fiercely contested.

Unlike most of the other drafters, I hadn’t branched into a third colour yet, but at this juncture I couldn’t pass up a juicy Rabblemaster, which somehow had not yet been selected by the four other red players in the pool. While it wasn’t my intention to go deep into red and fight over scraps with the other players already solidly in the colour, I reasoned that a small splash for a three drop that can dominate without any synergies would be worth stretching the manabase for. Dual lands were also starting to be nabbed, so I had to lock down Scrubland for my main two colours.

Marsh Flats would have been more ideal, letting me fetch both white and black duals, but the other Mardu drafter laid his claim to it early, which I think was a great move. It may have been a little early to take Maw of the Obzedat, but as one of the better finishers in this archetype that does double duty as a sac outlet for Blood Artist, I didn't feel like taking any chances.

If Rabblemaster was a minor gamble, Gavony Township was me stacking my pile of chips high and pushing them towards the middle of the table. Again, it was a case of a tempting, powerful, stand-alone card that I was thrilled was still available, and couldn’t resist stretching my mana for. While I wasn't gunning for a 1/+1 counter theme, like the Abzan drafter two seats to my left, I figured that Township could help crack open board stalls and go over the top of my midrange opponents with medium to large ground pounders. With only ten fetchlands available in the list, Windswept Heath was a consolation prize, with my ideal choice Verdant Catacombs having already been claimed.

Aw, nuts. Bayou being taken a few picks before mine forced me fall back on Savannah as a Plan B, which made my Windswept Heath from the previous round a little worse. It was at this point in the draft that I observed cheap, unconditional removal was being snapped up, so I opted to get in on the action with Tragic Slip, which I feel is slightly better in a deck with lots of tokens to offer up as cannon fodder. It's also clear now that there are three Orzhov drafters, me included, but I think we occupy deck types far enough away from one another (control, +1/+1 counters, and tokens) that there's space for everyone involved.

Two cards I was desperately holding out for - Unmake and Orzhov Pontiff - were both nabbed in the round preceding my pick, and still in the hunt for another removal spell, I opted for a downgrade in Sandblast. In looking back, a conditional removal spell like that probably would've remained in the pool for a couple more rounds, but seeing both Door A and Door B slam shut right in front of me had put me on tilt, and I failed to readjust my strategy while in that frame of mind. Maybe having three Orzhov guys in the draft was making things more crowded than I initially realized, especially when it came to straight up removal. I decided I also needed to start taking some actual token-making spells, especially cheap ones, so Raise the Alarm got the call.

A few more spells to push towards an aggro tokens build, rather than a slower midrange version. In retrospect, Gather the Townsfolk was almost certainly wrong. While it fits into the vaunted two-drop slot, it's very low power without any human synergy, and the evasion and instant speed of Midnight Haunting would almost certainly have been better here. I wouldn’t get a chance to rectify that mistake, as Rob snapped up Haunting on his turn.

I had to scrape my jaw up off the floor when the other Mardu drafter picked up Mikaeus, the Lunarch, a card I wasn’t aware was even in the cube, as it would’ve made for a great finisher alongside Township. Nevertheless, Carrion Feeder was a natural fit, as I felt I needed more sacrifice outlets to give the deck a little bit of a combo slant, and Curse of Shallow Graves filled out the obligatory three-mana generic token maker slot.

Meat and potatoes. Gravecaller is a card I’ve yet to see in action, but it reads well, and brings back memories of Cloudgoat Ranger, another card that can break games open. Strike Leader, like Curse, contributes bodies to the board and is decent enough in a long attrition battle. To my surprise, Butcher of the Horde was picked this round; I'd been hoping to save tri-colour cards until the latter portion of the draft, as there's naturally less competition for them. Many rounds later, I would fill in the missing "giant tri-colour four drop" slot with Siege Rhino, a card with less synergy with the rest of the list but a decent butt nonetheless.

Back to the... more ambitious picks! Travel Prep I reasoned could be a cheap, poor man’s Township, providing my small critters a tempo boost in the early going before my opponents set up shop, while Boros Charm had two viable modes that I cared about, having witnessed a run on board sweepers early in the draft. The moment I took Charm, two other drafters lamented at how valuable it would have been in their decks, so it seems I was lucky to take it when I did. I knew I would have to work on my mana base to support four colours, rather than the three that most people planned on running, but I felt that with 45 picks, there would still be ample time later to load up on dual and tri-lands.

Rob Dennis

Developer
out of all the colors, blue has eaten the most space for synergy strategies and cards, which is primarily due to the initial concessions to sultai / Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, fact I don't support draw-go style play, and the realization that I misbuilt the izzet section a little bit. I think we've seen over time that Sidisi doesn't actually need much help so I'll be looking to get some of those spaces back.

1-2 color Generically powerful blue cards in this list:
- Fact of Fiction
- Edric
- Prophet of Kruphix

these are all similar in that they don't really win the game on their own, but they don't ask much help.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
out of all the colors, blue has eaten the most space for synergy strategies and cards, which is primarily due to the initial concessions to sultai / Sidisi, Brood Tyrant, fact I don't support draw-go style play, and the realization that I misbuilt the izzet section a little bit. I think we've seen over time that Sidisi doesn't actually need much help so I'll be looking to get some of those spaces back.

1-2 color Generically powerful blue cards in this list:
- Fact of Fiction
- Edric
- Prophet of Kruphix

these are all similar in that they don't really win the game on their own, but they don't ask much help.
Future Sight actually is a really good reason to go blue, but I don't know if your cube can support it. I know I don't run any triple mana of a single color cards in my Khans of Alara cube.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, totally fair points, Rob. I don't know how you feel about looters - your Merfolk Looters and Compulsive Researches - but those are some examples of cards that are strong on their own, but are even better with synergy, specifically with Sidisi and other graveyard shenanigans in Sultai. I actually feel that Fact or Fiction might be a bit overrated in cube; it's one of those cards that was the end-all be-all in its day, but is Just Another Card Draw Spell in this day and age. Sphinx's Revelation is more of a strong generic blue spell, though it might be a bit much. Dragonlord Ojutai or Drogskol Reaver might do the trick, too.

Like you observed over the course of the draft, though, it was actually green that ended up being the most underdrafted by the end, as opposed to blue. Not sure how that happened, as four people were solidly in green by the third round, all adjacent to one another!

So here's my notes on the same rotisserie draft Eric Chan posted about.

Before I made my first pick, I wrote up a basic list ("Original Plan" below) of what kind of deck I was looking for at the end of the draft. I don't know how typical this is for cube rotisseries but I wanted something better than just picking cards without a real plan in place, so this is what I did.

Looking over 450 cards is a *lot*, and I ended up missing quite a few cards. Some I caught in time, some I didn't. Them's the breaks. As it turns out many other drafters felt the same way. I think all of us are going to do a better job scouring the cube (the WHOLE cube, including three-color sections that "aren't yours") next time.

In going through these notes to format them for the forum, I am making new notes as well but leaving the originals exactly intact; new notes will be written in italics.

Original Plan

1-2 CMC (8 cards)

< > Ainok Bond-Kin
[ ] Experiment One
[ ] Dromoka's Command
[ ] Silumgar Assassin
[ ] Ainok Survivalist
[ ] Thrill-Kill Assassin
{ } Wall of Omens and/or Wall of Blossoms
{ } Travel Preparations

3 CMC (8 cards)

< > Abzan Falconer
< > Curse of Predation, or Varolz
< > Twilight Drover
[ ] Salt Road Quartermaster
[ ] Abzan Charm
{ } Sandcrafter Mage
( ) Unmake
( ) Harsh Sustenance
-
{} Dead Reveler

4 CMC (5 cards)

< > Daghatar, the Adamant
< > High Sentinels
[ ] Corpsejack Menace
[ ] Longshot Squad
[ ] Crowned Ceratok
-
{} Siege Rhino
{} Galepowder Mage
{} Loxodon Hierarch

5 CMC (2 cards)

<x> Ghave
< > Swarm of Bloodflies

<> = on-color for other drafter(s) AND very important
[] = on-color for other drafter(s) OR very important
{} = only somewhat important and/or not likely to be taken
() = removal -- value changes depending on how much of my removal is taken

note that at the beginning of the draft, "on-color for other drafters" really only meant "single-color". once everyone was into a pair at least, that was revised (see: corpsejack menace)

====
draft thoughts

pick 1: -- taking ghave to stake the claim right away. current super-high-priority targets are daghatar, sentinels, curse of predation -- those are the single-color cards i really really want.

pick 2: -- with two other golgari drafters it's tempting to take the corpsejack menace before they can get to it, but one of those drafters is behind me and i don't think the other terribly wants it.

(between Rob and Panda, pick 2) no one seems to be threatening the deck too much; possible threats:
Jake - corpsejack menace
Panda - high sentinels, ainok bond-kin
Spencer - swarm of bloodflies, but w/e
Rob - high sentinels of arashin and ainok bond-kin? I don't know where he's going
of those folks, only the person threatening corpsejack is behind me. if the white drafters look like they might be headed for flyers, the high sentinels probably comes first; otherwise, i should snap the corpsejack before jake takes it.

(removal plan: abzan charm, silumgar assassin, unmake, harsh sustenance) quite a bit of removal in the plan, one of which i am basically a lock on unless someone hates it. should make sure to keep an eye on those in the mid-draft though. ruthless ripper is a possible backup if things get real bad (or somehow all my early drops go away)

(panda takes alesha, who smiles at death and hidden dragonslayer) panda is in mardu, only really it's just boros right now. he's likely big on the white cards i want, esp ainok bond-kin. jake and eric are both behind me. nabbing corpsejack menace 3rd, then a white card 4th is probably the best plan.

also, how is herald of anafenza not on my list? fixing that stat. that's a spicy one for rob potentially as well.

right now, three different people seem to be doing a strategy based on lots of small guys potentially -- panda (because it's what mardu does, but he could still be boros), rob (monastery mentor), and eric (blood artist). being able to deal with that type of deck will be important.

with all that in mind, zealous persecution is a card, it kills blood artist (and his homies unfortunately) and a monastery army. the only person likely to take it is eric, who is behind me. if i leave it for him, i feel he is extremely likely to take it, as it's very good in the blood artist deck AND very good against it. however taking it involves leaving corpsejack menace for jake. how likely is jake to take corpsejack? i have no idea if it fits with his theme, but it's a pretty efficient creature before you even read its text box, so he may be willing to hate it even if it does nothing other than be a dude. given it has even a minor synergy with his likely plan (kresh, bloodhall) i think he's extremely likely.

corpsejack > zealous, because the card that's good for you is good against everyone. but i'm going to be looking hard at zealous for 5th pick. panda might take it too, but that's a risk i'm willing to take for now. ainok surivalist gets the bump to backup status; it's a sweet looking card, but surveying the distribution of counter-making cards, i feel ok without it.

speaking of the deck distribution, the plan currently looks like:
counters on one creature: 10
counters on multiple creatures: 6
caring about counters: 5*
i probably want more cards in that last category, and i can afford to pass on some cards in the first category. scale blessing is a very good card i didn't see before and is probably better than longshot squad. i somehow missed tuskguard captainp? and battlefront krushok might edge out swarm of bloodflies. that makes the distribution like this:
counters on one creature: 8
counters on multiple creatures: 7
caring about counters: 7
twilight drover is one of those cards i'm not really sure about. i'm kind of fine as long as eric doesn't get it.

on a completely different topic, abzan ascendancy is a card. no one is going to take it though. cards i can take if i get fucked on other things: murderous redcap; selesnya guildmage; strangling soot. also, valorous stance is a fine card to be aware of.

... hm. there's no cards in this list that fix, at all. all my fixing is going to have to come from lands. that should be okay, but good to know.

oh hey vinelasher kudzu, i didn't see you there before. reap what is sown is an ok backup for abzan charm (not really though).

pick 3: -- damn. with my thoughts above, shoulda seen that curse of predation snipe coming. oh well, i have a backup anyway. casey is mentioning switching colors because two of his key players are gone, i'll have to keep an eye on that.

brutal hordechief is a pretty good combo with sidisi, actually. still looking at zealous 4th, hopefully eric doesn't take it.

pick 4: -- jake mildly signals a move onto the +1/+1 counters theme, which i did see coming since a lot of jund's cards occupy that space. vinelasher moves up hard, tuskguard captain and wall of blossoms a little. this is going to be a tight draft -- several competitors for white value, lots of competition for black value, and what little jake wants of green is basically exactly what i want as well. removal is going to have to take a back seat to ensuring that i get the cards that make the deck sing first.

in retrospect i rushed this pick a little -- eric is the only one competing for zealous persecution, which i noted earlier and forgot about. ah well, these things happen.

no one but me is in selesnya; i can push dromoka's command. i think i need to get vinelasher next. after that i have a tradeoff to consider -- do i focus on the white cards to keep them from panda and rob, or the green cards to keep them from jake and ryan (and tailsy)? i don't exactly know which direction jake is going to go but he doesn't have many options. it'll mostly depend on what i see rob and panda do, though ryan's and casey's picks could shake things up.

casey sniped the abzan falconer, and took battlepriest (which *gasp* i deliberately didn't have on my list, too many fours). he's basically drafting the same deck as me at this point, so i'll have to cut hard on the green and white cards. twilight drover looks a little better at this point, since i might have to do a tad bit of go-wide. he also now competes for dromoka's command.

this sequence of picks is going to be pretty key; if casey takes a clutch card from me (tuskguard or krushok) it could be all over. but if i take both of those, it leaves high sentinels, which is also bad. rock and a hard place. given that he already has two +1 counter lords, i suspect he's likely to take a +1 counter creature with one of his next two picks; however he could also try to cut the lords from me. i think i need to hedge and take one of each.

pick 5: -- with an eye toward either bond-kin or high sentinels. vinelasher will have to wait. crossing my fingers, krushok is hopefully not going anywhere.

jake and eric take solid cards but nothing that hurts. rabblemaster is actually weak vs tuskguard and zealous persecution. abrupt decay -- another card i somehow missed (this cube is *deep*). i maintain that it's too early for fixing.

pick 6: -- casey, proceed to walk all over two of my critical choices. That is, I predict that after this pick he will walk all over two of my critical choices. I mention this because reading this in retrospect I was initially confused.

more fixing being taken; rob's deck looks insane etc etc. ryan's deck is shaping up really well too. i don't see any threats to picks though.

pick 7: -- it's the card jake is most likely to snipe for pure value. next will probably be bondkin, since casey is likely to take that one.

at some point i'm going to need to hop on the fixing train. fixing that's available:
bayou, godless shrine, godless shrine, overgrown tomb, overgrown tomb, sandsteppe citadel, sandsteppe citadel, savannah, temple garden, temple garden, evolving wilds, terramorphic expanse, windswept heath, verdant catacombs -- 14, and that's not counting all the fetches still left i could use to get a dual, or the trilands i could play in a pinch to get two of the colors.

i do need to pay close attention to other folks who might want my trilands.

also hey, casey didn't take anything i wanted that go-around! not letting my guard down though.

(jake takes verdant catacombs) ok there's only one fetch left that can get 2 different basics for me. hm. probably still need to take the ...

pick 8: ... , because there's like eleven other drafters that want that card here.

pick 9:
pick 10:
pick 11:
pick 12:

those four picks all made while i was away from these notes at eli's house. in the mean time, panda dances around a bunch of white-black removal without taking unmake (whew!) and casey takes experiment one, but i already had vinelasher. at this point, the only card i have marked as <> left is varolz, but i think the <> marking is inaccurate; jake doesn't want it and ryan doesn't want it, and no one else is in those colors.

rob was hounding me about dromoka's command at eli's house, and i'm thinking i agree, but i think i want that unmake before eric snatches it.

grim affliction > strangling soot lololololol

pick 13: -- planning on dromoka's command next. eric might be touching into green a little more than i'm comfortable with. if that's the case (we'll find out together when he makes his next two picks) i'll have to start protecting (that is, taking) my three-color cards way earlier than i wanted to.

oh hey, another card i forgot about: lotleth troll. oh hey, there it goes. eric didn't move to green yet. i think i can float that stuff just a tad longer.

pick 14: -- grim affliction's gotta be next, i think. if it gets snatched, spread the sickness is an okay substitute (but i should grab it right away).

eric is exposing that his green splash really is one card, though i don't know how much i believe him given that he's got both a dual and a fetch.

beastmaster ascension is a brutal enough card that i may want to hate it at some point soon, and it has slightly increased value in that i could play it if i really wanted to.

non-free fixing is down to 8 cards, of which i need 4.

pick 15: -- as discussed. scale blessing is the card casey is most likely to snipe from me, so that'll almost certainly go next.

oh man that thrill-kill assassin is clutch. did not expect that! ainok survivalist is probably what i will try to fill that hole with; not nearly as good but it also gives me access to pinpoint enchantment removal.

pick 16: -- as discussed. i think twilight drover is likely to get sniped soon, and i may have already waited too long on it. it's a great card for eric, but it's also a great card for casey. if by some miracle casey hasn't taken it, twilight drover is my next pick. that's the last of the really synergistic cards i'm worried about having sniped, so the pick after that is probably wall of omens.

following that, i think i start scooping up my non-free fixing. with 9 white cards, 6 green cards, and 6 black cards, with a lot of my early game being green and white, i think the order is temple garden, misty rainforest (last remaining fetch), overgrown tomb, godless shrine.

panda "snipes" mikaeus, the lunarch from me (i didn't actually want to spend that much mana on that kind of effect anyway).

pick 17:

thinking about it, since everyone else has gotten off the fixing train, it might be time to start sniping some of the lower value cards from people that want them. reap what is sown may be a good 18th pick; it does leave wall of omens for panda though.

pick 18: -- decided to float both wall and reap just a little longer (Note: a little? is there a Wall of Omens in my 45? :p); neither is at all critical, and the fetch is the last one left and so is likely to be snatched soon. i don't think i have any worries about the wall (esp since there are two), but casey is likely to snatch the reap soon. going into casey's pick (#20), if it's still there, i think i'm taking it.

that leaves #19 (next pick, going into eric). i'm not all that worried about any of the cards that are left i actually want (but an ascendancy snipe might happen). given that, i'm going to make the ballsy move and take a card multiple others -- but especially eric -- might want, but is a backup pick for me: swarm of bloodflies!

pick 19:
pick 20: -- in case i decide i need to adjust the deck makeup a little.
pick 21: -- given eric took travel prep right after this, i feel like i had pretty good timing here.

pick 22: -- let's talk about this one briefly because i don't think i mentioned it until now. comparing with sandcrafter mage, the card i originally had in this slot, i get the flexibility of making a 1/1 flyer instead, in exchange for 1 toughness and the ability to put the counter on something else (thus giving that guy an ability unexpectedly). i believe i like outcast's flexibility more; i'm not sure whether my deck needs a little go-wide at this point, so having that option will be a little hedge, and outcast is a stronger card in general.

so. we're coming out of pick 22 and the deck is essentially built, which feels great. i have 4 more slots to fill out for the cards i want to start: wall of omens/blossoms, ainok survivalist (which may actually end up in the sideboard), varolz, and ascendancy. of these i believe ascendancy the only one likely to be sniped, thankfully by eric who is behind me right now. so i think the next pick is ascendancy to make sure that doesn't happen. after that...

it may be time for a ballsy move. i still feel i don't need to be on the fixing train really, as all 8 of the non-free fixers that were there seven picks ago are still there now. as discussed above, my deck is essentially built; the remaining cards are either extremely unlikely to be sniped (varolz) or have good backups (omens/blossoms and survivalist/aquastrand).

prophet of kruphix.

hear me out here: first of all this card has a ton of raw power. it wins games. even with no synergies, it can completely dominate a board if unanswered. in this deck, given that i'm picking with the intent to maximize the impact of any one play (as well as produce synergies), my cards in general hit hard, meaning that being able to play more of them is even better in this deck than it would be in others. further, it allows me to turn on counter-lord effects as an instant, mostly by being able to flash a counter lord... but also any creature that can put counters on other creatures can make surprise counters with a prophet in play. just what the card does normally -- that is, let me tap out without tapping out -- is *insane* when it means i can turn on counter lords on your opponents turn way more often (both because of the available mana and because those lords now have flash).

also, what was the straggler fetch i ended up being able to get? ... misty rainforest!

this is happening. this is really happening. (i'm now crossing my fingers that ryan doesn't get this card -- it'd be bonkers in his deck, and frankly, i'm shocked it's still in the pool halfway through the draft.) but i need to make sure i'm responsible with my fixing.

i need 6 full fixers just in my three colors. misty rainforest is only half of one; sometimes it's going to have to grab tundra (or whatever), so it's not a whole card worth of fixing. most likely, i'm going to get 2 citadels. if i can avoid the basic fetchers it'd be nice, as they put lands into play tapped and i really don't think i want to be doing that. so one each of tomb/shrine/garden, plus 1 more of either of the green ones (since i have a green fetch). that makes a good plan for the 6 "responsible" fixers.

so how many blue producing lands? when i draw prophet i don't want to be stuck with it for too long. again, given that the deck is basically built at this point, i think the answer is ... basically all of them. well, all the duals. i don't want them to (always) come in tapped, so i think the trilands are a nogo, and also i'd prefer they all be fetchable. tundra and tropical island are the 2 nonshock blue-producing duals i care about that are still left, and they are both potential targets for other players. including both the duals and the shocks there are 7 remaining blue fixing lands; realistically i don't expect to get all of them but i don't know what number i'd stop at.

now. as excited as i am to get this thing rolling, the responsible thing to do is to take abzan ascendancy next rather than stab myself over eric sniping it; prophet is in no danger of being sniped by jake or eric (jake miiiiight shock me here though) but eric has indicated his green splash is for real. (...on that note, he may be threatening sandsteppe citadels?)

but after i take abzan ascendancy i am going to SHOCK THE WORLD (ryan please float this card just *one* more pick!).

next four picks are abzan ascendancy, prophet, tropical island, tundra. shocklands are backups the two lands (assuming i get the prophet in the first place), but i'm not sure which ones yet and am too tired to cogitate on it presently.

after those picks i continue to (finally) ride the fixing train, hopping off briefly to pick up cards whose redundancies have been snatched up. i'll be focusing on blue fixing first, but as soon as the first one of my duals is taken i'll be switching gears onto my "responsible" fixing.

there's 23 picks left. 4 i've described above; realistically i expect to get maybe 1-2 more blue fixer beyond that. 6 are going to be spent on abzan fixing. 3 more will fill out the nonlands i've been floating. that leaves plenty of room to "breathe" -- 8-9 picks to be spent on sideboard cards (i'm looking at you, loxodon hierarch; incidentally, that card is probably high on casey's list and i might want to take it soon... not thinking about that right now!) and hate picks (which absolutely WILL NOT HAPPEN after i take the prophet, i'm sure).

... with that, i'm going to sleep. i think i've written two pages on the prophet of kruphix plan here. i hope the reader is happy. :p

pick 23: -- hm, ryan took a tomb. this could mean i need to prioritize "real" fixing over the blue stuff. if the prophet ends up being a wasted pick because i can't reliably cast it, so be it. but there's enough picks left i feel like i can do this still.

pick 24: -- unfortunately i'm going into all the blue drafters, and the fixing train has restarted, so i'm probably going to lose out on both tundra and tropical island. in any case, the next two picks will be a little more on-the-fly than i'd hoped; i need to get a feel for how hard people are gunning for the abzan fixing i need before scooping up blue fixing.

an absolute flurry of picks happens now, while i realize that esper is a color combo no one is in, so i might be able to get both esper trilands with a little luck.

pick 25: -- in retrospect this should have been overgrown tomb
pick 26: -- the last remaining abzan dual :-(
pick 27: -- called eric wanting these
pick 28:
pick 29: -- at this point i realize that i missed panda taking my wall of omens. i cross my fingers on jake not sniping blossoms.
pick 30: -- *phew*.
pick 31:
pick 32: -- i like these picks more than i thought i would, because vinelasher kudzu
pick 33: -- the last card i would be super-sad about if it got sniped, going into jake. he's unlikely to want it but the potential downside is awwwwwful.
pick 34: -- neatly tidying up the 6 abzan fixers i need

so at this point i have all my fixers, and the prophet of kruphix plan has been realized. it's time to start thinking about situational cards, real hate drafts, and the straggling survivalist pick. one of the remaining picks needs to pick up the straggler (very possibly the next one); the other ten will be on sideboard and hate.

candidates for the late picks, in a rough pick order:

loxodon hierarch -- shocked this is still around; generally good card and also protects my army. i feel weak to sweepers and there are lots of drafters with a sweeper that loxo can protect from: rob has demise, spencer has act, jake has deed.

brago, king eternal -- lololol rob thinks this is unpickable by anyone. can reset the counters on ghave and daghatar (that's just my first two picks), or RETRIGGER ASCENDANCY, or flicker a wall of blossoms.

edric, spymaster of trest -- lololol rob thinks this is unpickable by anyone. the dream is flashing thanks to prophet: why thanks, i'll draw some cards

harsh sustenance -- insane for eric, pretty good for panda, pretty okay for me.

hunting triad -- a little go-wide, and some synergy with ascendancy's front side.

longshot squad -- vs fliers.

ruthless ripper -- can hide other morphs (meh) and can hold back a threat.

burrenton bombardier -- vs fliers.

crocanura -- vs fliers (but check how many decks you really want this against, do we need 3 sideboard cards for fliers).

aquastrand spider -- vs fliers (but seriously do i need this many cards against fliers).

spiritmonger -- generically good

eric is serious about that green splash, as suspected, so my next pick is hierarch assuming it's still around, then i'll pick up my survivalist.

pick 35: -- well damn, two of the above cards are already gone.
pick 36:

pick 37: -- taking the straggler before someone else does, and god dammit two more are gone.
pick 38:

at this point given how thin the pool is and how many cards i might want are going, i should probably look at blue cards in general. obviously i won't play very many in any given match (2, maybe 3) but hating those cards has value too.

treasure cruise -- HOW is this still here.

sultai charm -- a nice "no" for big stupid guys, as well as naturalize

warden of the first tree -- this guy DOES get counters in the long game.

undergrowth scavenger is a monogreen card i somehow flat-out missed (i know that happened a lot to many folks in this draft, but a monogreen card i don't see until it's gone at pick 37 what the fuck)

pick 39: -- this has a pretty neat interaction with the counter-moving effects in the deck, which i didn't really give enough credit to earlier. i'm lucky this lasted as long as it did

i'm tempted to take treasure cruise next, going into all the blue drafters. but do i really want to float warden of the first tree any longer than i already have? casey, jake, eric, and ryan can all play it. two on my left and two on my right. i think it'd be a mistake to let that card go any longer. hopefully it survives even jake's and eric's next two picks.

pick 40: -- cruise gone, eric took it! wow.

sultai charm goes just before my next pick. i think i'll just take a remaining powerhouse:

pick 41:

from here it's pretty much just take the most situational card for my deck; there's some reach guys left and i can find other stuff i'm sure.

pick 42:

(the rest of the picks here are made kind of lazily, for one reason or another.)

pick 43:
pick 44:
pick 45:

Hey folks. I was drafter 3 in this Rotisserie. Here was my thinking as it happened:

I "called" Fact or Fiction when the draft was not much more than an idea, and when I got third pick, I felt I was duty-bound to grab it. Blue is my favorite color, and I usually end up there in this cube unless it's being cut off or I'm in hardcore win mode.

Neither of the first two picks was a blue card, so I felt pretty free to follow through and let everyone know what was going on. (D2 took Monastery Mentor, so I knew it was certainly possible he'd be blue too, but I was fine with avoiding the spell-heavy deck.) With the first two picks R/W (Firemane Avenger) and W respectively, I was feeling like Sultai might be the way to go. I love the color combo, and FoF even works well in a graveyard deck. I'd see how things shook out, but I was thinking about a Golgari card next, specifically Pernicious Deed.

Then drafter 4 took Sidisi. Welp!

I had no interest in fighting over Sultai, and less in trying to muscle him out (ironic, considering how it all went...), so it was time to reevaluate. I wouldn't have a pick til everyone else got two, so I felt I was in a good spot to see what was open at that point.

Drafter 5 took Goblin Bombardment. OK, I saw that as a tokens card, and I figured D2 would probably go tokens too. Tokens was probably out.

D6: Ghave. Oh no, Abzan is taken. What a shame. I wasn't losing sleep over this one; Abzan is my least favorite trio by miles. (I know it's powerful, but I've got a contrary streak.)

D7: Pernicious Deed. OK, Golgari is officially spoken for!

D8: Lingering Souls into Blood Artist. Souls was one of the cards I'd seen as a slam dunk first pick, so I wasn't surprised. With three perceived tokens decks, tokens was out out out.

D7: Broodmate Dragon. Jund flag planted.

D6: Daghatar the Adamant. A lock for Abzan counters.

D5: Consume the Meek. This pick should have given me pause. Tokens wouldn't have wanted a <=3 CMC sweeper in particular. At the time, though, I assumed he just wanted a good sweeper.

D4: Oversold Cemetery. Lock for Sultai Graveyard Shenanigans (c).

D3: Me again. I wanted to reserve a trio for me, since three people had. What was open? I saw:

-Four white decks

-Two Blue

-Five Black

-Most likely three Red (I didn't see D2 being able to avoid red with Mentor)

-Three Green

By the numbers, Izzet, and especially Temur, was the openest. But for whatever reason, I didn't feel like going Temur. This was a fun draft, I wanted to try something more fun for me. How about Grixis? Rakdos was shared by two people, but I could focus on Dimir and Izzet after grabbing some black/Rakdos cards to splash. And I was in the perfect position to nab a couple of the most desirable Rakdos cards. I grabbed Olivia Voldaren, with my eye on Grenzo and Bit Blast.

What I didn't think about was how I was taking some of the best Rakdos cards away from D5, who was clearly there. I rationalized it by saying that Rakdos was deep, but this would start a pattern of me snatching useful cards away from D5. Looking back, I think Bant or Temur were far more open, and something like Bloodbraid Elf or Jenara would have been smarter picks and given everyone stronger decks.

In fact, D5 had started out aiming for a Grixis combo/aggro deck, using Marchesa and +1/+1 counter-using cards to sacrifice creatures for value and get one-sided board wipes. And I just took one of the best cards of the deck. We tried to stay quiet about what we were thinking (a mistake? Still not sure), but I think he was pissed, and rightfully so.

D2: Sudden Demise. Oh, right, that's a card. *smacks self on the head* One of the most powerful single-color cards in this cube. Things would have been very different if I'd taken it instead.

D1: Alesha and Hidden Dragonslayer. Boros aggro, with possible Mardu. I knew this drafter liked Mardu, and decided to double down on getting everything I wanted out of Rakdos, fast.

D2: Tempt With Vengeance. Boros tokens.

Me. Well, we've got two tokens players, and three sweepers are gone. I was terrified of not being able to beat the tokens decks with no sweepers. Of what was left, Blasphemous Act was the strongest one in my colors, so I grabbed it. Of course, this was one of the sweepers D5 had wanted, further encroaching on his plans.

D4: Brutal Hordechief. This surprised me, but looking again it's a very strong card in any black deck. D4 probably had the same idea as me, to take the black cards he wanted before the six(!) other potential black drafters did.

D5: Curse of Predation. Around this point, D5 announced he was changing tack. I thought he'd been aiming for tokens and D2 was shutting him out... I didn't realize til the next round that *I* was the shutter!

D6: Corpsejack Menace

D7: Bituminous Blast. Dang, looks like someone else realized how crazy powerful this one is. One of the cards I most regret not having.

D8: Falkenrath Noble into Triplicate Spirits.

D7: Shaman of the Great Hunt. I didn't realize until later how great this would have been for me.

D6: Zealous Persecution
D5: Abzan Falconer
D4: Profaner of the Dead. Ouch, this might have been my very next pick. I haven't seen this card in action, but it seems amazing.

Me: Grenzo, Dungeon Warden. This seemed like the best Rakdos card still available, and completed my list of the cards I really wanted from it. At this point, D5 mentioned all the cards I'd yanked from him, and I realized what his game plan had been. I began to prioritize +1/+1 counters cards...again not realizing that the red ones would be exactly what D5 still wanted. After this point, I'm sure all my red picks seemed deliberately hurtful.

From here I'll just focus on my picks. I decided to slant more aggro/creature heavy, to distinguish myself from D2's spell-heavy Jeskai deck. I kept the counter combos in mind, but I didn't focus too heavily, since I don't think I could have gotten the needed support.

5. Minister of Pain - I probably jumped the gun on this, but I wanted one more sweeper card for the tokens matchups. This fell in the sideboard when I decided to lean more aggro.

6. Taurean Mauler - Counters, and a very strong card in this cube besides.

7. Polluted Delta - As soon as I saw a fetch taken, I grabbed this. I value mana fixing more highly than most, and fetches are my favorite form. I take the Dimir one before D4 (Sultai) and the Izzet one before D2 (Jeskai); I'd repeat this pattern going forward.

8. Scalding Tarn - See above. Very happy I managed to get two fetches. I missed out on a couple of useful cards by taking them this early (Jilt, Dragonlord Silumgar).

9. Cyclonic Rift - Useful tool and late game sweeper.

10. Volcanic Island - Dual lands are being drained away, and I wanted my most important one. There are two sets of Ravnica duals as well as the alpha duals, so I was fine with letting most of them slide for a while, since I can fetch either.

11. Baleful Strix - I'm realizing that I'm competing for D4 for Dimir cards, so I decide to grab the ones I want now. I wanted early drops, and Strix is just a great value card. Buuuut then Underground Sea gets sniped by D4.

12. Watery Grave - This was premature, plain and simple. Ravnica lands aren't being taken much yet, I have no other competition for Dimir (though D6 would splash blue), and D4 already had the dual. I panicked. I'm glad I got a U/B dual, but it could have been floated five picks or more.

13. Tasigur, the Golden Fang - Value, late game, great with fetches and early aggro. Slam dunk, and I was glad to get it with so many black drafters.

14. Prophetic Bolt - mentioned offhand by D2 as a card I didn't want, which made me realize I was low on removal. Love this card.

15. Far//Away - Removal, and just one of my favorite cards in the cube. It's never been bad for me.

16. Silent Departure - Finishing up my removal suite, since I was slanting aggro. I was very happy to get this before D2, who I was expecting to be aggro tokens--he ended up control, so this was probably early.

17. Ire Shaman - Now focusing on early game and counter support. I don't have a clear idea how good this is in an aggressive deck, but the pseudo-draw appeals.

18. Flesh Carver - I apparently got this at the exact right time, since several people groaned. Like Ire Shaman, I'm not sure how good it is for me, but the combination of evasion, sac outlet, counter support and overall value made it good in my eyes.

19. Bonesplitter - Now that I was leaning aggressive, I realized this was still around. I made a mental note to prioritize evasion afterwards.

20. Stratus Dancer - Again, possibly too midrange, but both modes seem useful. I'm happy casting this one for two against most decks, and it obviously carries Bonesplitter well.

21. Ashling the Pilgrim - Combination low-drop and late-game sweeper/Lava Spike, but may be too slow and mana-intensive. I'm starting it, we'll see.

22. Volt Charge - Nice combination with counter cards. This ended up replacing Cyclonic Rift (trying to keep non-creatures to a minimum).

23. Gore-House Chainwalker

24. Blood Crypt - After this is where Watery Grave should have gone. I took Crypt after the other one was taken--not having a B/R dual would have been catastrophic (by my standards, anyway).

25. Pyreheart Wolf

26. Steam Vents - Dual redundancy. With my two Crumbling Necropolises, I felt like my mana was now very strong.

27. Whip of Erebos - I did a double take when this was still here. It's another midrange card and it has anti-synergy with the eventual Marchesa pick, but it has too much raw power to ignore.

28. Flayer of the Hatebound - Combo with Marchesa and Whip. I'm maining this, which might be greedy, but I like the synergies and it seems fine on its own.

29. Marchesa, the Black Rose - I would have waited past 30, but D5 joked that I was going to be sniped, and people were starting to pick up blue splashes. Obviously losing her would have been terrible for the deck.

30. Chartooth Cougar - I don't really like landcyclers, but who knows. In the sideboard at the moment.

31. Crumbling Necropolis - Again probably early. But other trilands were being taken, and I wanted to make sure I got one. I let the other go; if it had been sniped, I would have lived.

32. Man-o'-War

33. Rockslide Elemental

34. Hellhole Flailer - these are three fairly similar picks from my deckbuilding standpoint. I'm unsure which make the maindeck.

35. Mogg War Marshal

36. Ruthless Ripper

37. Vulturous Aven - control sideboard

38. Spellbound Dragon - maindeck at the moment. It's filtering and a big hitter, depending on what's needed. Five toughness is a lot in this format, too. This may be greedy.

39. Crumbling Necropolis

40. Izzet Charm

41. Galvanic Juggernaut

42. Nimbus Naiad - maindeck. I want evasion and I value the split card ability.

43. Akroan Horse - Sideboard vs. aggro decks, if needed.

44. Void Stalker

45. Mistfire Weaver

Overall, I wish I'd been more proactive, as well as being more aware of open color combinations. I spent a lot of picks reacting to what I thought was being taken, instead of forging my own path and actively constructing my deck. I'm pretty happy with the power and the synergy of the cards I got, though.

Rob Dennis

Developer
Yeah, totally fair points, Rob. I don't know how you feel about looters - your Merfolk Looters and Compulsive Researches - but those are some examples of cards that are strong on their own, but are even better with synergy, specifically with Sidisi and other graveyard shenanigans in Sultai.

What's tough is the two cards you mentioned do NOT trigger Sidisi :(. In practice though it doesn't matter because Sidisi has been shown to trigger more than enough. I've been keeping out on-board incremental advantage if it feels repetitive. For example, I kicked out Charmbreaker Devils but something like Curse of Predation is ok, because it's going to end the game really quick.

Wow! What a nice write up. This looks like a really fun cube to rochester, there seems to be a lot of depth and room for brewing. I hope you guys do more of them.

Laz

Developer
Oh wow. Those write-ups make me want to try Rotisserie. It sounds awesome, and the fact that this cube emphasises 3-colour means that everyone was constantly stepping on each other's toes, which made it seem even more interactive.

Got any tips for running it?

Rob Dennis

Developer
Got any tips for running it?

three logistical suggestions:
- google docs is useful for this (pretty common at this point)
- on one of the tabs, paste the entire cube list separated by sections. Have people make their picks using cut and paste so it's clear near the end what's left.
- By the end, we we found it convenient to "bank" a pick with someone behind you in the pick order so the whole thing doesn't need to block on you not being up when the person in front of you made their pick, and everyone behind you is up

I'm working on my writeup now

Rob Dennis

Developer
Thoughts on Rotisserie Drafting Your Own Cube
During the draft someone described rotisserie drafting a cube as a "450-space worker placement game" which is a metaphor I like because it really underlines one of my favorite parts of the format: you don't necessarily take the most important card for your deck, you take the card you want for your deck that you can get the best "price" on. To say it another way, you aren't helping yourself when you pick a card you want in an early round that no one else was going to take.
So if a rotisserie draft is about pricing cards/decks they go in, I have a little different perspective on this as the cube designer. I know what decks I supported, and I know the relative quantities of particular effects, but that doesn't actually give me the full picture. I don't know is what decks othersbelieve to be supported, and I don't know which effects people believe to be worth prioritizing. This is the interesting part.
My Initial Plan
I had the second overall pick and I broke it down like this:
  • there are 3 main glue themes that help the whole cube work right: tokens, +1/+1 counters, non-creature spells matter
  • each set of 3 colors does at least 2 of these, plus an additional 1-2 sub-themes
  • I wanted to prioritize a monocolor card that was extremely good for two these themes, and was a unique effect
  • I felt this would give me the best chance of being about to solidify myself in a "slice" (e.g. shard/wedge) with a lot of depth when it caught back around to me
  • I valued flexibility over "planting a flag" with a 3-color card because in a 3-color list like mine there are 10 slices for 8 drafters, and getting powerful and uncontested 3-color cards at the end for "free" seemed really powerful.
This led me two target two particular cards:
I haven't gotten a chance to player Mentor yet, and it's been fun watching it in legacy, so that's where I wanted to start. I was prioritizing these 3 types of cards as the most irreplaceable effects that go well together:
From there I had 4 different plans based on what was open:
The Draft
I'm not going to card by card, but rather, focusing on some of the key moments in the draft, speaking either to how I felt at the time, or in some cases how I think about it now.
  • Round1Seat1: Panda takes Firemane Avenger at the time I didn't think this was enough to move me off my plan, I felt like I could take the token spells and he could take the creatures who make tokens and be happy. If I was really trying to get an edge, curse of predation was a better pick in a vacuum. I think this is a good role player that you could reliably get after round 5 so I don't really like this one as a R1P1.
  • R1S2: I take Mentor of the Meek
  • R1S3: Spencer takes Fact or Fiction which, combined with his history, make me think he's going to be prioritizing blue control cards. This was widely discussed as a possible R1 pick earlier in the week and it's certainly the best card draw spell in the cube, and it supports blue's graveyard theme.
  • R1S4: Ryan takes Sidisi, brood tyrant. I was initially shocked after getting over the shock of seeing the first 3-color card, but I didn't have too much time to contemplate since P5 happened soon after. After thinking about it, this is 3-color card I can see being correct to select early, because it's completely irreplaceable to that deck. There's really no substitute at all, and if you like the deck it's worth fighting for.
  • R1S5: Casey takes Goblin Bombardment which I did not think of as a round 1 card, and really pushes me away from the {B}-based death triggers deck, and turns me off from {R} effects like Rage Thrower. This is probably the best sac outlet overall so if you want that effect, I can see it. I felt like this was signaling tokens to a lot of other people.
  • R1S6: Rick takes Ghave, Guru of Spores

Rob Dennis

Developer
List got a big update after the release of BFZ. I've been on hiatus after the birth of my second kid, and just now getting back into it.

The top-line change is no morphs (technically there's still rattleclaw mystic but you'd always just play it face up). This is because:
  • there's a narrow set of them that are being played, so there's not a lot of hidden information
  • there's a fair amount of space that's being taken up that I want back for other themes
  • there's some logistical hassles that make me not want to keep the ~5 really cool ones around (I feel compelled to bring the morph reminder cards each time)

There's a lot of tweaks based on information gleaned from the rotisserie draft. Some highlights:
  • Sidisi, brood tyrant is one of the key pillars of this cube, but doesn't really need help milling, she just needs help staying alive
    • out with marginal activators like screeching skaab and in with some early defensive creatures
  • There are still high impact, hard to kill non-creatures running around and I don't want it to be a requirement to have enchantment/land kill in your deck
    • the enchantments that are left can all be dealt with by removing creatures, or just going over the top
  • controllish Blue seems a little underpowered and it's worth pumping up their card advantage options a little
the list of up at cubetutor, and I am a champion there, so you can use the castle ai :). Draft some stuff up and let me know what people think.