General Commander 2017 Spoilers

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So a few of these have been spoiled early, and this guy looks pretty interesting.
taigamojutaimaster.jpg

That's not a horrible body for the cmc, and there's nice things you can do rebounding stuff. Plus it encourages attacking!

Also a few terrible things:
ramosdragonengine.jpg
theurdragon.jpg
okagachivengefulkami.jpg
wasitoranekoruqueen.jpg

The cat dragon token is just as adorable as you think it is :p

Laz

Developer
Your assessment mirrors mine. A cool UW spells-focused attacker (who for some reason doesn't have prowess?) and a bunch of multi-colour rubbish.

I do kind of like than none of them have ETBs...

I like that Taigem does not have prowess due to being targeted for EDH. Otherwise it would be much easier to abuse commander damage with him. For a cube perspective I would have preferred to add prowess, remove the first ability, change him to a three drop 2/2. As for the rest, I play enough EDH to like the Ur Dragon and Ramos. They provide something to five color deck. (I am thinking Scion of the Ur Dragon and Progenitus). However, I am more interested in playing the cat dragon as a commander because it is a cat dragon and makes the most adorable tokens. In short: ditto.

But, why did they water down the flavor of O-Kagachi? It should have focused on the spirit tribal themes that ran through Kamigawa Block in my opinion. (At least we know that spirits are not one of the selected tribes.)

Laz

Developer
I like that Taigem does not have prowess due to being targeted for EDH. Otherwise it would be much easier to abuse commander damage with him.

EDH, where stringing together 4-5 cheap instants mid-combat, then rebounding them the next turn for Prowess double dipping is 'too easy to abuse', but uncounterable rebounding Time Warps are fine. I sometimes feel I must be bad at having fun.

Honestly, I forgot Time Warps exist. My thought process was with the usage of something that gives him unblockable and protection of some sort. Otherwise, I have probably already lost or can remove it with ease. (My primary commander is Teysa, Orzhov Scion with a focus on combo and answering everything.)

Bloodforged Battle Axe

Cost 1 Equip 2
Equipped creature gets +2+0
When equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, make a copy of Bloodforged Battle Axe

---------

Seems pretty cool
I really like the idea of this equipment, seems a pretty easy swap in for Trusted Machete. Interesting that it is an equipment that plays quite well in a go-wide plan. Lingering souls seems like a good starting point...

Edit: and this starts getting absurd with double strike effects. The 2 equip cost is a very real considerration, but you can still end up with an ungodly pile of axes

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's another cat I want.

{4}{G}
Reach
When ~ or another cat etb, destroy target artifact or enchantment.
3/5

I cut all special lands, and while consideringPride Sovereign I discovered I secretly already had a decent amount of incidental cats. Also, I was looking for more decent reach in green! This is straight up replacing Acidic Slime in my list.

That card's wording absolutely rocks for multiplayer, and is utter unelegance in two-player Magic. Then again, Council's Judgment is a card I play because it's so awesome in practice (breaks up sacrifice shenanigans for example), so maybe I should try this as well?

For me, since I run 100% proxied cube anyway (not so much for $ as I want the same template and up to date wording on all cards) it's fine for me. I have no issues removing unnessecary rules text for 1v1.
Cut the first line and change the activation cost to "Choose your opponent:"

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've just re-added Curse of Shallow Graves, after cutting it for a while for being borderline overwhelming. I absolutely love the card in aggro and Stax archetypes, but I really don't feel it needs an upgrade (the upgrade, in 1v1, being the tokens etb untapped rather than tapped).

en_kkHomijBXx.png

Hahahahaha! PHASING! :') I love the conversation blurb from the mothership article:

Editor: What's important to you about how this card works?
Me: You're out of the game for a little while and nobody can mess with you. Also, that you can say "I'm out!" in an overly dramatic voice.

I'm so ready to say "I'm out!" in an overly dramatic voice :D

6aQ67oI.png

This is a sweet card*, and it sucks that they still print cards that are only available in foil :(

*Edit: Note that the bounty still works, even if they remove Mathas. Barring pre-end step instant removal, there'll be at least one creature whose death will reward you with a card and 2 life, no matter when you get around to killing it.

carta_destaque_idiomas.jpg

Oh my! That's pretty terrific if you have anything remotely tribal going on in your cube!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Is it bad I low key hope the +1+1 counter deck in my cube might have some sideline vampire tribal angles? A lot of the cards happen to be vamps already...