General [Contest] Ravnica Reimagined (Entry Closed - Judging in Progress)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And that's it! Contest closed! I am amazed and thankful that so many of you decided to chip in and join the contest, and I'm looking forward to picking a winner. As a working dad, my free time is somewhat limited, so given the sheer amount of submissions to judge, I don't expect to be done before the release of Ravnica Remastered this coming weekend. I'll do my best to finish judging in a timely manner though!

wow, randomly came across this thread off Google and I gotta say all these mechanics and keywords are so inspiring. I definitely have my favourites, and part of me is tempted to make proxies and try running these as custom cards in my cube :0

wow, randomly came across this thread off Google and I gotta say all these mechanics and keywords are so inspiring. I definitely have my favourites, and part of me is tempted to make proxies and try running these as custom cards in my cube :0
Welcome! Here "borrowing" is allowed! Have fun and when you have questions about your cards/customs feel free to ask in the respective threads. (Or in true riptide style, deride a random thread!)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
INTRODUCTION
Hello everyone! Welcome to part 1 of the contest results! 17 users submitted 26 different designs, way too many for me to easily pick a winner, so I decided to use sort of a tournament setup to narrow my options. Presenting to you, the eight groups for the Ravnica Reimagined group stage! (As randomly generated by https://www.randomlists.com/team-generator; though, full disclosure, I did sort the entries in alphabetical order within each group ;))

Group A
Entry (Orzhov variant; by Rusje)
Scrutinize (by Brad)
Strike (landofMordor)
Subterfuge (by TrainmasterGT)

Group B
Brutality (by Kirblinx)
Consume (by Ravnic)
Genome (by TrainmasterGT)
Veil (by Ravnic)

Group C
Eclipse (by Nanonox)
Entry (Gruul variant; by Rusje)
Levy (by MilesOfficial)

Group D
Collection (by ellogeyen)
Flourishing (by MurphysHuman)
Decompose (by Modin)

Group E
Arise (by Brad)
Impart (by Mown)
Uproot (by PyreDream)

Group F
Experiment with (by LadyMapi)
Linger (by Tavakha)
Proficient (by Strionic Adventurer)

Group G
Empowered (by ellogeyen)
Galvanize (by Gamusino)
Thrive (by StrionicAdventurer)

Group H
Graverob (by Nanonox)
Hiding (by Mown)
Worldsoul (by LadyMapi)

You're welcome to speculate on which group is the group of death in this tournament. Since only the winner of the contest will receive eternal glory (and a Ravnica Remastered card), I'm only interested in my favorite design from each group. Sorry in advance to the number two in the group of death! Since all the pods are random, and only the winners advance, I will keep pairings for the round of 8 and the semis easy.

Tournament.jpg
With that out of the way, we're on to the group stages! This will take some time, as apparently I have a lot of thoughts I want to write down. At the speed I judged group A, it will take at least two weeks to get through the entire contest, sorry for slow-rolling you all!

GROUP A
Rusje
(Orzhov variant)
Entry M (You may cast CARDNAME for its entry cost from exile as though it was in your hand.)

CommonUncommonRare
Orzhov Loan Officer {1}{W}
Creature - Human Advisor

Entry—{3}{W}, Pay 1 life.
As Orzhov Loan Officer enters the battlefield choose a player.
When Orzhov Loan Officer enters the battlefield, the chosen player creates a Treasure token.
At the beginning of the chosen players upkeep, that player pays {1} or 1 life.

1/3
Phyrexian Nighthawk {1}{B}{B}
Creature- Phyrexian Vampire

Entry—{2}{B}{B}, Pay 3 life.
Flying, deathtouch, lifelink.
If Phyrexian Nighthawk would die, exile it instead.

2/2
Orzhov Arena {1}{W}{B}
Enchantment

When Orzhov Arena enters the battlefield, each player creates two Treasure tokens.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses 1 life unless they pay {1}.
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top two cards of your library, exile a card from a graveyard, and you lose 1 life.
For my second guild I want to use the same mechanic but then with a phyrexian twist. To show the inevitability of them. Yeah I know that they died for the trillionth time but hey, they always come back.

Orzhov: a religious cult that desires wealth (which they think means power) above anything else. They do this partly by being the loanshark. The other parts of having people indebted after dead, making them into thralls, the self-sacrifice of their followers to get to their goal fits quite well with phyrexia. Let's focus on loanshark and the endless phyrexian wave...

The flavours: loans which have to be paid back. These loans slow the game down or whittle the life totals, which is in favor of the phyrexians since they play the long game. The entry costs are often more expensive and require life, but some, especially the phyrexian exile themselves when they die.
First off, it feels unnecessary and strange to me that you're pulling the Phyrexians into this design. Not only because the Phyrexian Invasion has been halted, but also because the Orzhov already deal with the afterlife, so pulling back souls for a price should be right up their alley anyway. Then there is the fact that both cards with Nighthawk in their name were cards from Zendikar. All in all a curious decision that doesn't really resonate with me. That said, if any guild represents cards coming back from the beyond, and this is a bit of foreshadowing, Orzhov is the place, so I won't hold your Phyrexian flavoring against you.

From a mechanical point of view, black and white are the two colors that deal in reanimation effects, which this sort of is. Black is easily the color most in tune with exiling as a cost, and white has various exile effects as well, though those typically aren't used on your own resources. That said, this feels like a very hard mechanic to get the numbers right on for a few reasons. First, this is a classic A + B mechanic. You need exile effects, or this will do absolutely do nothing. This means you need to devote quite a bit of design space to support entry. Second, this mechanic runs the risk of creating repetitive board states. Phyrexian Nighthawk is a prime example, due to the self-exile clause. This card is a nightmare to get rid of, and I don't think it creates a desirable play pattern. Even other cards easily run into this problem if you have permanents that exile cards, like your rare Orzhov Arena. Third, these creatures almost by necessity need to be sub-par for the cost, simply because they keep coming back. How exciting is a whole guild full of Persistent Specimens going to be? While that may be an extreme example, it's going to be hard to justify putting too much oomph into creatures with entry. Fourth, this mechanic is potentially really dangerous to print. Cards like Food Chain do exist after all. I think you might have (consciously or subconsciously) realized this, since you put a life payment and higher mana cost on both your entry costs.

Going into the individual designs, I'm sorry to say that I've got additional gripes with all three of them. Starting with the uncommon, I think I've said almost everything I wanted to say about Phyrexian Nighthawk. The only thing left is that I don't feel like this is an uncommon. Since this self-exiles, you can always put it back onto the battlefield (provided you have mana). Because entry has no timing restriction, this means you can plop down a deathtouch, lifelink, flying blocker at instant speed, making combat extremely frustrating for your opponent. (Edit: Future Onderzeeboot here. As Rusje rightly pointed out, you actually have to abide by the timing restriction of the card, since you cast it. Entry is not an activated ability. So, no flashing in a blocker at instant speed, meaning you can work around it for a turn with a removal spell. Still very frustrating to play against in my opinion, because it will come back on the next turn.) This design definitely does not feel like an uncommon, and I'm unsure it should exist even as a (mythic) rare without further tweaks. On the other side of the medallion we have Orzhov Arena. After reading the name, I was expecting a cool Phyrexian Arena variant, but for a gold card, and a rare at that, it feels like the card does a whole lot of nothing. Yes it consistently fuels your entry game plan, but in a fairly lackluster and wordy way. In general, giving your opponent a choice makes cards worse than they read (see Browbeat), and this is symmetrical too, so you end up losing life or paying extra mana as well. And that is after you gave away two Treasure tokens for free to your opponent. I'm sure this design gets some Johnny's gears turning, but for the average player it would be quite an unexciting rare to open. Your best design, by far, is your common. I'm not quite sure how often this offers a real choice, but accellerating you (at the cost of some life) or irritating your opponent is a cute choice. That said, with all of the life payment involved (both in the entry cost, and the upkeep trigger), this is certainly not a mono-white card. Unfortunately, it feels too wordy and too impactful for a common as well. I definitely would have bumped this up to uncommon.

I feel a bit bad devoting so many words to basically burning your designs down :( It might not seem like it, but I hugely appreciate every submission to this contest a lot, including yours! Entry might not be a keyword I would personally pursue, but I think the Loan Officer has potential as an interesting custom!

Brad
Scrutinize M (M: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield, except it's an artifact and it loses all other card types. Exile it if it would leave the battlefield. Scrutinize only as a sorcery.)

CommonUncommonRare
Automated Intellectual {2}{U}
Artifact Creature - Wizard Construct

Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
Scrutinize {2}{U}.

2/3
Statuesque Maiden {U}{R}
Creature - Elemental Merfolk

Haste
{T}: Draw a card, then discard a card.
Scrutinize {U}{R}

2/1
Scrutinized Experiment {2}{R}
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an artifact.
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, except it's an artifact and it loses all other card types.
Strangely, I like the rare the most. It feels like the kind of red rare that we always get and never really want.

I wanted to make it come back as a Clue in addition to its other types, but the reminder text got excessive.
It's funny that we get another "reanimation" mechanic right after entry, but I have to say this one feels a lot more balanced and design-friendly. I'm not quite sure how I feel about Izzet creatures turning into a lifeless artifact, but with the right flavoring this should work, and you're tapping into a very established Izzet identity here.

From a mechanical point of view, I like that the reanimation cycle is contained. This takes a page from unearth by including the exile clause to prevent cards from getting recast over and over again. There are some memory issues to overcome, but that didn't stop protoype from seeing print, so I don't think that should be too big a strike against scrutinize. I imagine this is quite a fun and intuitive mechanic to play with, so good job!

Going into the individual designs, these definitely feel pretty solid. Your common has the right power level and simplicity for a common. While it's no Goblin Electromancer, it's got decent stats for limited, and a nice rider if the environment had some more expensive spells. Your uncommon is actively exciting to play. It attacks well at two mana, but the haste also makes it a great looter. In fact, I think this is one of the best looters ever printed, especially because it comes back as an artifact at a cheap cost after it is killed. You can even loot away a copy of the card and scrutinize the copy. How's that for internal synergy? Get out of here Bonded Fetch! Looking at it like that, it might actually be a bit too pushed, but I sure like the concept! Your rare is a real Johnny rare, and I can see why you like it the most. Scrutinized Experiment basically gives scrutinize to any creature in your graveyard, which definitely makes for some delicious scenarios. Arcanis the Omnipotent, Leonin Abunas, Phage the Untouchable, the list of creatures you want to craft into a lifeless statue goes on and on. All in all a very solid submission!

landofMordor
Strike N ({T}, Tap another untapped creature you control: Put N +1/+1 counters on this creature and it goes on strike. Activate only once and only as a sorcery.)

CommonUncommonRare
Picket Enforcer {2}{B}
Creature - Gorgon Citizen

Strike 1
Picket Enforcer has deathtouch if it's on strike.

2/2
Drudge's Education {1}{G}
Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has ward {2} and strike 2.
Svogthos, Shelter of the Gateless {3}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Plant Zombie

Vigilance
Undergrowth - Svogthos enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever another nontoken creature you control with a counter on it dies, create a 1/1 Plant Zombie creature token.

3/3
The Golgari as we knew it is no more. Betrayed by their queen, the lowliest laborers of the Swarm suffered immensely at the frontlines of the Phyrexian invasion. Their efforts to rebuild are obstructed at every turn -- the unending tariffs of the Orzhov, the brutal policing of the Boros, and the Guildpact's newly interplanar ambitions. The guilds have failed the Golgari, and now they turn to each other for strength...
From what I know, this flavor fits the aftermath of the Phyrexian invasion (through Realmbreaker) pretty well. As a mechanic, strike feels like the spiritual baby of monstrous and outlast, except that it requires two creatures to go on strike. While Selesnya Evangel was quite the bomb common in its day, needing a second creature to activate strike feels like a pretty heavy burden. In addition, you can strike only as a sorcery, which means that after playing a creature, you have to wait a full turn cycle, and then tap it down on your turn, together with another creature. You best get a big reward for leaving yourself wide open for a full turn! As a minor nitpick, I misread strike as first strike several times while reading these designs, which is especially unfortunate for your common, because having first strike or not makes a world of difference for a deathtouch creature.

Speaking of which, at first blush, Picket Enforcer is a simple common that illustrates the mechanic well. That said, deathtouch feel like a weird reward for growing a creature. Drudge's Eductation is a cute uncommon. The ward {2} is useful immediately, and represents an impactful cost for dealing with the enchanted creature. That said, I have to, again, ask if two +2/+2 counters are worth tapping a creature at sorcery speed for. When commons like Bestial Bloodline exist, I'm not sure this offers enough value as an uncommon. The rare, finally, features a surprise return of the non-evergreen undergrowth keyword. It does synergize well with strike in two ways, both because it has vigilance, and because it makes additional bodies. It's not a hugely innovative or powerful design, but I definitely have a Commander deck or two where this would slot right in, and in the right environment it hits like an absolute brick! Great in limited at the very least!

In conclusion, I think your strongest submission is the rare. While your common and uncommon are fair representations of your mechanic, I fear it's simply too cumbersome to help the Golgari get back on top (or is it bottom, eh?) of the world again!

TrainmasterGT
Subterfuge (To commit subterfuge, look at the top card of an opponent's library. If a card type among cards in your graveyard or permanents you control matches one of that card’s types, you may reveal it and hit your mark.)

CommonUncommonRare
Spell Silence {1}{U}
Instant

Commit subterfuge. Counter Target spell unless an opponent pays {2}. If you hit your mark, counter that spell instead.
Sneaky Scoundrel {U}{B}
Creature– Vampire Rogue

Whenever you commit subterfuge, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. You may have that player mill a card.

2/2
Patrol Thoughts {B}
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast this spell, pay 2 life.
Target player reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. Commit subterfuge. If you hit your mark, that player discards the chosen card. Otherwise, that player puts it on top of their library.
The idea here is that you become a better spy as the game goes on. As you gain more knowledge by playing more permanents and casting more spells, you're better able to hit your mark consistently. This mechanic also provides a nice reward for playing a wide range of card types without explicitly counting.
This... is quite original! It does require rifling quite a bit through your graveyard, but that argument applies to certain other mechanics (*cough* reanimation *cough*) as well. If the number of subterfuge cards is balanced well, the incidental peeking to piece together what your opponent has in hand, definitely feels very Dimir in flavor.

Going into the individual designs, your common is an elegant amalgamation of Mana Leak and various more specific spells like Remove Soul and Negate, but I do wonder if it's not too easy to make it a full on two-mana Counterspell. In the early game, your opponent is not going to have an additional {2} available, and in the mid to late game, where they would, you probably have most (relevant) card types in your graveyard if you build your deck around it. Heck, even with fetchlands in the format this is going to be a hard counter 40% of the time right out of the gates. I think this pushes power a bit too hard if you hit your mark. Your uncommon, on the other hand, is wonderful! You staple together a black and a blue effect, and it feels so perfect! Not only do you get to peek at their top card whenever you commit subterfuge, you also get to bin it if it's too good, and while you deploy your slow information gathering tactics, you gain some extra health to keep peeking. Lovely! The rare, finally, clearly is a "fixed" Thoughtseize. I honestly have nothing negative to say about this design. Thoughtseize is a known and format-warping quantity, so having a (slightly?) weaker version available is pretty sweet. It's funny that with Sneaky Scoundrel out, you can choose to mill the card you just put on top, because the triggered ability will only resolve after you finished resolving the entire effect of Patrol Thoughts. I don't know if that was intended, but yeah, Thoughtseize at home it is! Another solid submission in this group!

GROUP A WINNER
If you've read my (long and winding) thoughts, you know what's up. This group is a fight between Brad's scrutinize, and TrainmasterGT's subterfuge. Thanks to both Rusje and landofMordor for your submissions! As for deciding the winner, it's a tough choice, as both mechanics honestly appeal to me, and the card designs are solid. Both players have a card that probably overshoots the desired power level for their rarity a bit (Statuesque Maiden for Brad, and Spell Silence for TrainmasterGT), so in the end it comes down to my gut feeling. For me, Scrutinized Experiment is a more exciting rare than Patrol Thoughts, which is really good, but also just very functional, and not that interesting in application. Train, congratulations on an exciting submission, sorry to see you go. Brad, congratulations, by the narrowest of margins you are through to the next round!

Last edited:
INTRODUCTION
Hello everyone! Welcome to part 1 of the contest results! 17 users submitted 26 different designs, way too many for me to easily pick a winner, so I decided to use sort of a tournament setup to narrow my options. Presenting to you, the eight groups for the Ravnica Reimagined group stage! (As randomly generated by https://www.randomlists.com/team-generator; though, full disclosure, I did sort the entries in alphabetical order within each group ;))

Group A
Entry (Orzhov variant; by Rusje)
Scrutinize (by Brad)
Strike (landofMordor)
Subterfuge (by TrainmasterGT)

Group B
Brutality (by Kirblinx)
Consume (by Ravnic)
Genome (by TrainmasterGT)
Veil (by Ravnic)

Group C
Eclipse (by Nanonox)
Entry (Gruul variant; by Rusje)
Levy (by MilesOfficial)

Group D
Collection (by ellogeyen)
Flourishing (by MurphysHuman)
Decompose (by Modin)

Group E
Arise (by Brad)
Impart (by Mown)
Uproot (by PyreDream)

Group F
Experiment with (by LadyMapi)
Linger (by Tavakha)
Proficient (by Strionic Adventurer)

Group G
Empowered (by ellogeyen)
Galvanize (by Gamusino)
Thrive (by StrionicAdventurer)

Group H
Graverob (by Nanonox)
Hiding (by Mown)
Worldsoul (by LadyMapi)

You're welcome to speculate on which group is the group of death in this tournament. Since only the winner of the contest will receive eternal glory (and a Ravnica Remastered card), I'm only interested in my favorite design from each group. Sorry in advance to the number two in the group of death! Since all the pods are random, and only the winners advance, I will keep pairings for the round of 8 and the semis easy.

View attachment 9168
With that out of the way, we're on to the group stages! This will take some time, as apparently I have a lot of thoughts I want to write down. At the speed I judged group A, it will take at least two weeks to get through the entire contest, sorry for slow-rolling you all!

GROUP A
Rusje
(Orzhov variant)
Entry M (You may cast CARDNAME for its entry cost from exile as though it was in your hand.)

CommonUncommonRare
Orzhov Loan Officer {1}{W}
Creature - Human Advisor

Entry—{3}{W}, Pay 1 life.
As Orzhov Loan Officer enters the battlefield choose a player.
When Orzhov Loan Officer enters the battlefield, the chosen player creates a Treasure token.
At the beginning of the chosen players upkeep, that player pays {1} or 1 life.

1/3
Phyrexian Nighthawk {1}{B}{B}
Creature- Phyrexian Vampire

Entry—{2}{B}{B}, Pay 3 life.
Flying, deathtouch, lifelink.
If Phyrexian Nighthawk would die, exile it instead.

2/2
Orzhov Arena {1}{W}{B}
Enchantment

When Orzhov Arena enters the battlefield, each player creates two Treasure tokens.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player loses 1 life unless they pay {1}.
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top two cards of your library, exile a card from a graveyard, and you lose 1 life.
For my second guild I want to use the same mechanic but then with a phyrexian twist. To show the inevitability of them. Yeah I know that they died for the trillionth time but hey, they always come back.

Orzhov: a religious cult that desires wealth (which they think means power) above anything else. They do this partly by being the loanshark. The other parts of having people indebted after dead, making them into thralls, the self-sacrifice of their followers to get to their goal fits quite well with phyrexia. Let's focus on loanshark and the endless phyrexian wave...

The flavours: loans which have to be paid back. These loans slow the game down or whittle the life totals, which is in favor of the phyrexians since they play the long game. The entry costs are often more expensive and require life, but some, especially the phyrexian exile themselves when they die.
First off, it feels unnecessary and strange to me that you're pulling the Phyrexians into this design. Not only because the Phyrexian Invasion has been halted, but also because the Orzhov already deal with the afterlife, so pulling back souls for a price should be right up their alley anyway. Then there is the fact that both cards with Nighthawk in their name were cards from Zendikar. All in all a curious decision that doesn't really resonate with me. That said, if any guild represents cards coming back from the beyond, and this is a bit of foreshadowing, Orzhov is the place, so I won't hold your Phyrexian flavoring against you.

From a mechanical point of view, black and white are the two colors that deal in reanimation effects, which this sort of is. Black is easily the color most in tune with exiling as a cost, and white has various exile effects as well, though those typically aren't used on your own resources. That said, this feels like a very hard mechanic to get the numbers right on for a few reasons. First, this is a classic A + B mechanic. You need exile effects, or this will do absolutely do nothing. This means you need to devote quite a bit of design space to support entry. Second, this mechanic runs the risk of creating repetitive board states. Phyrexian Nighthawk is a prime example, due to the self-exile clause. This card is a nightmare to get rid of, and I don't think it creates a desirable play pattern. Even other cards easily run into this problem if you have permanents that exile cards, like your rare Orzhov Arena. Third, these creatures almost by necessity need to be sub-par for the cost, simply because they keep coming back. How exciting is a whole guild full of Persistent Specimens going to be? While that may be an extreme example, it's going to be hard to justify putting too much oomph into creatures with entry. Fourth, this mechanic is potentially really dangerous to print. Cards like Food Chain do exist after all. I think you might have (consciously or subconsciously) realized this, since you put a life payment and higher mana cost on both your entry costs.

Going into the individual designs, I'm sorry to say that I've got additional gripes with all three of them. Starting with the uncommon, I think I've said almost everything I wanted to say about Phyrexian Nighthawk. The only thing left is that I don't feel like this is an uncommon. Since this self-exiles, you can always put it back onto the battlefield (provided you have mana). Because entry has no timing restriction, this means you can plop down a deathtouch, lifelink, flying blocker at instant speed, making combat extremely frustrating for your opponent. This design definitely does not feel like an uncommon, and I'm unsure it should exist even as a (mythic) rare without further tweaks. On the other side of the medallion we have Orzhov Arena. After reading the name, I was expecting a cool Phyrexian Arena variant, but for a gold card, and a rare at that, it feels like the card does a whole lot of nothing. Yes it consistently fuels your entry game plan, but in a fairly lackluster and wordy way. In general, giving your opponent a choice makes cards worse than they read (see Browbeat), and this symmetrical too, so you end up losing life or paying extra mana as well. And that is after you gave away two Treasure tokens for free to your opponent. I'm sure this design gets some Johnny's gears turning, but for the average player it would be quite an unexciting rare to open. Your best design, by far, is your common. I'm not quite sure how often this offers a real choice, but accellerating you (at the cost of some life) or irritating your opponent is a cute choice. That said, with all of the life payment involved (both in the entry cost, and the upkeep trigger), this is certainly not a mono-white card. Unfortunately, it feels too wordy and too impactful for a common as well. I definitely would have bumped this up to uncommon.

I feel a bit bad devoting so many words to basically burning your designs down :( It might not seem like it, but I hugely appreciate every submission to this contest a lot, including yours! Entry might not be a keyword I would personally pursue, but I think the Loan Officer has potential as an interesting custom!

Brad
Scrutinize M (M: Return this card from your graveyard to the battlefield, except it's an artifact and it loses all other card types. Exile it if it would leave the battlefield. Scrutinize only as a sorcery.)

CommonUncommonRare
Automated Intellectual {2}{U}
Artifact Creature - Wizard Construct

Instant and sorcery spells you cast cost {1} less to cast.
Scrutinize {2}{U}.

2/3
Statuesque Maiden {U}{R}
Creature - Elemental Merfolk

Haste
{T}: Draw a card, then discard a card.
Scrutinize {U}{R}

2/1
Scrutinized Experiment {2}{R}
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice an artifact.
Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, except it's an artifact and it loses all other card types.
Strangely, I like the rare the most. It feels like the kind of red rare that we always get and never really want.

I wanted to make it come back as a Clue in addition to its other types, but the reminder text got excessive.
It's funny that we get another "reanimation" mechanic right after entry, but I have to say this one feels a lot more balanced and design-friendly. I'm not quite sure how I feel about Izzet creatures turning into a lifeless artifact, but with the right flavoring this should work, and you're tapping into a very established Izzet identity here.

From a mechanical point of view, I like that the reanimation cycle is contained. This takes a page from unearth by including the exile clause to prevent cards from getting recast over and over again. There are some memory issues to overcome, but that didn't stop protoype from seeing print, so I don't think that should be too big a strike against scrutinize. I imagine this is quite a fun and intuitive mechanic to play with, so good job!

Going into the individual designs, these definitely feel pretty solid. Your common has the right power level and simplicity for a common. While it's no Goblin Electromancer, it's got decent stats for limited, and a nice rider if the environment had some more expensive spells. Your uncommon is actively exciting to play. It attacks well at two mana, but the haste also makes it a great looter. In fact, I think this is one of the best looters ever printed, especially because it comes back as an artifact at a cheap cost after it is killed. You can even loot away a copy of the card and scrutinize the copy. How's that for internal synergy? Get out of here Bonded Fetch! Looking at it like that, it might actually be a bit too pushed, but I sure like the concept! Your rare is a real Johnny rare, and I can see why you like it the most. Scrutinized Experiment basically gives scrutinize to any creature in your graveyard, which definitely makes for some delicious scenarios. Arcanis the Omnipotent, Leonin Abunas, Phage the Untouchable, the list of creatures you want to craft into a lifeless statue goes on and on. All in all a very solid submission!

landofMordor
Strike N ({T}, Tap another untapped creature you control: Put N +1/+1 counters on this creature and it goes on strike. Activate only once and only as a sorcery.)

CommonUncommonRare
Picket Enforcer {2}{B}
Creature - Gorgon Citizen

Strike 1
Picket Enforcer has deathtouch if it's on strike.

2/2
Drudge's Education {1}{G}
Enchantment - Aura

Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has ward {2} and strike 2.
Svogthos, Shelter of the Gateless {3}{B}{G}
Legendary Creature - Plant Zombie

Vigilance
Undergrowth - Svogthos enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each creature card in your graveyard.
Whenever another nontoken creature you control with a counter on it dies, create a 1/1 Plant Zombie creature token.

3/3
The Golgari as we knew it is no more. Betrayed by their queen, the lowliest laborers of the Swarm suffered immensely at the frontlines of the Phyrexian invasion. Their efforts to rebuild are obstructed at every turn -- the unending tariffs of the Orzhov, the brutal policing of the Boros, and the Guildpact's newly interplanar ambitions. The guilds have failed the Golgari, and now they turn to each other for strength...
From what I know, this flavor fits the aftermath of the Phyrexian invasion (through Realmbreaker) pretty well. As a mechanic, strike feels like the spiritual baby of monstrous and outlast, except that it requires two creatures to go on strike. While Selesnya Evangel was quite the bomb common in its day, needing a second creature to activate strike feels like a pretty heavy burden. In addition, you can strike only as a sorcery, which means that after playing a creature, you have to wait a full turn cycle, and then tap it down on your turn, together with another creature. You best get a big reward for leaving yourself wide open for a full turn! As a minor nitpick, I misread strike as first strike several times while reading these designs, which is especially unfortunate for your common, because having first strike or not makes a world of difference for a deathtouch creature.

Speaking of which, at first blush, Picket Enforcer is a simple common that illustrates the mechanic well. That said, deathtouch feel like a weird reward for growing a creature. Drudge's Eductation is a cute uncommon. The ward {2} is useful immediately, and represents an impactful cost for dealing with the enchanted creature. That said, I have to, again, ask if two +2/+2 counters are worth tapping a creature at sorcery speed for. When commons like Bestial Bloodline exist, I'm not sure this offers enough value as an uncommon. The rare, finally, features a surprise return of the non-evergreen undergrowth keyword. It does synergize well with strike in two ways, both because it has vigilance, and because it makes additional bodies. It's not a hugely innovative or powerful design, but I definitely have a Commander deck or two where this would slot right in, and in the right environment it hits like an absolute brick! Great in limited at the very least!

In conclusion, I think your strongest submission is the rare. While your common and uncommon are fair representations of your mechanic, I fear it's simply too cumbersome to help the Golgari get back on top (or is it bottom, eh?) of the world again!

TrainmasterGT
Subterfuge (To commit subterfuge, look at the top card of an opponent's library. If a card type among cards in your graveyard or permanents you control matches one of that card’s types, you may reveal it and hit your mark.)

CommonUncommonRare
Spell Silence {1}{U}
Instant

Commit subterfuge. Counter Target spell unless an opponent pays {2}. If you hit your mark, counter that spell instead.
Sneaky Scoundrel {U}{B}
Creature– Vampire Rogue

Whenever you commit subterfuge, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life. You may have that player mill a card.

2/2
Patrol Thoughts {B}
Sorcery

As an additional cost to cast this spell, pay 2 life.
Target player reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card from it. Commit subterfuge. If you hit your mark, that player discards the chosen card. Otherwise, that player puts it on top of their library.
The idea here is that you become a better spy as the game goes on. As you gain more knowledge by playing more permanents and casting more spells, you're better able to hit your mark consistently. This mechanic also provides a nice reward for playing a wide range of card types without explicitly counting.
This... is quite original! It does require rifling quite a bit through your graveyard, but that argument applies to certain other mechanics (*cough* reanimation *cough*) as well. If the number of subterfuge cards is balanced well, the incidental peeking to piece together what your opponent has in hand, definitely feels very Dimir in flavor.

Going into the individual designs, your common is an elegant amalgamation of Mana Leak and various more specific spells like Remove Soul and Negate, but I do wonder if it's not too easy to make it a full on two-mana Counterspell. In the early game, your opponent is not going to have an additional {2} available, and in the mid to late game, where they would, you probably have most (relevant) card types in your graveyard if you build your deck around it. Heck, even with fetchlands in the format this is going to be a hard counter 40% of the time right out of the gates. I think this pushes power a bit too hard if you hit your mark. Your uncommon, on the other hand, is wonderful! You staple together a black and a blue effect, and it feels so perfect! Not only do you get to peek at their top card whenever you commit subterfuge, you also get to bin it if it's too good, and while you deploy your slow information gathering tactics, you gain some extra health to keep peeking. Lovely! The rare, finally, clearly is a "fixed" Thoughtseize. I honestly have nothing negative to say about this design. Thoughtseize is a known and format-warping quantity, so having a (slightly?) weaker version available is pretty sweet. It's funny that with Sneaky Scoundrel out, you can choose to mill the card you just put on top, because the triggered ability will only resolve after you finished resolving the entire effect of Patrol Thoughts. I don't know if that was intended, but yeah, Thoughtseize at home it is! Another solid submission in this group!

GROUP A WINNER
If you've read my (long and winding) thoughts, you know what's up. This group is a fight between Brad's scrutinize, and TrainmasterGT's subterfuge. Thanks to both Rusje and landofMordor for your submissions! As for deciding the winner, it's a tough choice, as both mechanics honestly appeal to me, and the card designs are solid. Both players have a card that probably overshoots the desired power level for their rarity a bit (Statuesque Maiden for Brad, and Spell Silence for TrainmasterGT), so in the end it comes down to my gut feeling. For me, Scrutinized Experiment is a more exciting rare than Patrol Thoughts, which is really good, but also just very functional, and not that interesting in application. Train, congratulations on an exciting submission, sorry to see you go. Brad, congratulations, by the narrowest of margins you are through to the next round!
I just wanted to take a moment to commend you for taking the time to do such a thorough job with Judging. I know this is a lot of effort on your part, and I think you deserve recognition for that!

I just wanted to take a moment to commend you for taking the time to do such a thorough job with Judging. I know this is a lot of effort on your part, and I think you deserve recognition for that!
Definitely expected to have it be "Thanks for all the entries. _____ won, but A B C did a great job, too!"

The bracket is unnecessary, but pretty fun. And it's cool for all the entries to receive some feedback.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What an immense work you put in. One point though. Timing restrictions apply, just like with flashback.
Woof! Sorry I missed that! That does make the Nighthawk less egregious. I still think it would be very frustrating to play against though. I’ll add a bit of errata to my review when I have the time!

Woof! Sorry I missed that! That does make the Nighthawk less egregious. I still think it would be very frustrating to play against though. I’ll add a bit of errata to my review when I have the time!
Do not worry about it. It is an frustrating card to play against, that was also my intention with the phyrexians.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
GROUP B
Kirblinx

Brutality — Whenever excess damage is dealt [by ~] to a permanent an opponent controls, [effect]

CommonUncommonRare
Scab-Clan Grunt {2}{G}
Creature - Human Warrior

Brutality — Whenever Scab-Clan Grunt would deal excess damage to a permanent an opponent controls, you may put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.

3/3
Brutal Ambush {1}{R}
Instant

Target creature you control gets +3/+0 until end of turn. It deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don't control.
Ruric Thar, Taught by Giants {3}{R}{G}
Legendary Creature - Ogre Warrior

Vigilance, reach
Brutality — Whenever a permanent an opponent controls is dealt excess damage by a creature you control, you may draw two cards. If you do, discard a card at random.

6/6
RURIC STARTS BECOMING MORE AGGRESSIVE
IN TURN OTHER GRUUL CLANS START BECOMING MORE BRUTAL AS WELL
GRUUL LIKE TO 'TRAMPLE'
BUT TRAMPLE TOO BORING
GRUUL NOW BRUTAL
This was, hands down, the funniest submission. Thanks for that! If you, reader, haven't seen it, check out Kirblinx's post, it's great :)

On to the mechanic then. While the flavor of brutality does fit Gruul extremely well, and technically it hasn't been "ability worded" yet, I did ask for "a brand new design". Now, many new ability words operate within the existing confines of Magic lingo, but almost all of them find something to look at that hadn't been looked at before, even if it's something really obvious like raid. A slight knock, maybe.

Looking at the existing cards that do something if excess damage is dealt, creature damage is handled differently from spell damage. For example, Maarika, Brutal Gladiator says "Whenever Maarika deals damage to a creature, if that creature was dealt excess damage this turn, ..." I think this is because in a combat situation you can, say, block an opponent's creature with both Maarika and another creature to kill it, and while the damage is dealt at the same time, you can't really tell which part of the damage was the excess damage. In other words, in cases like that you can't trace back fractions of the damage to the specific creature that dealt that damage. So, for Ruric Thar you could do something like: "Whenever one or more creatures deal damage to a permanent an opponent controls, if that permanent was dealt excess damage this turn, ..." Unlike in some other cases, I haven't updated the wording for this ability on your submitted cards because I wasn't quite sure they still had the effect you intended, but it is something worth noticing.

As for the individual cards, Scab-Clan Grunt looks relatively clean, but the use of "would deal" means it triggers at an ever so slightly different time than Ruric does. You probably worded it that way to get the counter on there before the Grunt dies, but the counter also affects the damage that would then be dealt? In my mind, at least, I think you could have unified the triggers a bit better. Ruric Thar is both pretty hilarious, and pretty scary. Man, there used to be a time where you had to jump through some serious hoops to get a 5 mana 6/6, but I guess Defiler of Vigor is a thing now. The vigilance on such a strong body for so few mana is pretty harsh on the opposing player though, especially in limited this seems like it would wreak havoc. Heh. Your uncommon, finally, synergizes with brutality in a fantastic way, but, but... +3/+0 and strike for only 2 mana is crazy. There's nothing currently available that comes close even a little bit! And sure, those effects are limited staples, but not too succesful in constructed, so your design could be a "what if we pushed this to constructed level", but I'm a little bit hesitant to go along with that reasoning. This seems downright terrifying in a red aggro deck. Also also, we've only seen this effect in mono red twice, the last time back in 2018. It's not exactly out of pie I think, but at this good a rate, it feels more natural to give it to green.

All in all, top marks in style and flavor, but your designs feel like they could have been a bit stronger (not to be confused with more powerful).

ravnic
Consume (Mill a card. Then if there are three or more creature cards in your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on this creature.)

CommonUncommonRare
Reassembling Swarm {B}
Creature - Insect Zombie

When Reassembling Swarm enters the battlefield, it consumes.
{2}{B}: Return Reassembling Swarm from your graveyard to your hand.

1/1
Consumption Shaman {B}{G}
Creature - Elf Shaman

If you would mill one or more cards, you mill that many cards plus one instead.
If one or more +1/+1 counters would be put on a creature you control, that many plus one +1/+1 counters are put on that creature instead.

2/3
Putrefication Intensifier {2}{G}
Creature - Plant Horror

At the beginning of combat on your turn, target creature you control consumes.
{2}{G}, Exile three creature cards from your graveyard: Return Putrefication Intensifier from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped.

3/2
Consume should work nicely with all previous guild mechanics, dredge, scavenge and undergrowth. There is also a lot of potential for mechanical overlap here with other guilds, most certainly simic, who usually care about counters. As you can see, I've submitted three creature cards, but as with explore, you could very easily put the rider "target creature you control consumes" on other permanents and spells as well.

My first design checked if the milled card was a creature to give a counter. That however would've prevented an important dynamic: as the mechanic is designed now, every consuming card makes the others better. That rewards you for drafting a straight golgari deck instead of just picking some good stuff cards.
This... Now this is a very solid mechanic. Mechanically it fits Golgari to a tee, and the flavor is also pretty good. Curiously enough, other than via the dredge mechanic, self-mill hasn't been too central a mechanic in Golgari designs, even though both scavenge and undergrowth would love it. The monoblack mill spells in Ravnica have mostly been Dimir-flavored, and there are no green mill spells set in Ravnica at all! This is the first time I will point out that I really like the thought process as well. Yes, this does fit well with previous Golgari mechanics, something that should absolutely please players who love the guild. I also love that you changed the mechanic to something that rewards going deep on the mechanic, rather than something that comes down to basically a coin flip.

Let's talk about your individual designs then. Your common is like the love child of Stitcher's Supplier and Sanitarium Skeleton. It actually both features the keyword, and synergizes with it. Is it a bit pushed as a potential 2/2 for {B} at common? Maybe, but cards like Court Homunculus and Wild Nacatl exist and feel easier to turn on, so I think we're okay. Your uncommon is quite a savage Winding Constrictor sidegrade. Increasing self-mill effects by 1 is probably a fair trade for not affecting you or artifacts you control, and only boosting +1/+1 (instead of any type of) counters. Very strong though, especially with consume! Your rare too, is a strong design. Nothing that seems egregious at first glance, but you again managed to design a card that feels appropriate for its power level and highlights your mechanic very well. The only negative thing I can say about your submission is that your rare basically does the same thing as your common, except stronger. It almost feels like you submitted just two cards, because your rare and common don't go in different directions, which is a real pity. All in all a strong submission still!

TrainmasterGT
[Keyword] genome M (M, exile this card from your graveyard: put a [keyword] counter on target creature. Activate only as a sorcery.)

CommonUncommonRare
Aerial Adaptation {U}
Instant

Target creature gets +1/+1 and gains flying until end of turn.
Flying genome {2}{U}
Smartscale Genomancer {1}{G}
Creature— Crab Lizard Wizard

Whenever one or more counters are put on another creature you control, put a counter of that kind on Smartscale Genomancer.

2/2
Vorel, Hull Clade Champion {1}{U}{G}
Legendary Creature– Human Merfolk Mutant (R)

Flying, vigilance, trample
Flying genome {1}{U}
Vigilance genome {1}{G/U}
Trample genome {1}{G}

3/3
With the Genome mechanic, you're giving your creatures useful adaptations from your previous experiments. Since the Simic are most likely going to appear with either the Izzet, Golgari, or potentially both in the next Ravnica guild set, I wanted to make a mechanic for Simic that could go on both noncreature spells and interact with the graveyard. The Genome mechanic is great for this, since it can go on any card type while still favorably interacting with counters. There is a lot of design space here, since the mechanic can work with any type of counter. A Shield Genome, +1/+1 Counter, or -1/-1 Counter Genome are all possibilities for cards. Even a Defender Genome is on the table as an option, since the mechanic can target any creature.
Another very strong contender. The more I look at it, the more I like this submission, in fact. Like ravnic your thoughts on the mechanic add some useful insight, and I think you did manage to make a mechanic that has some nice cross-synergy with the mentioned guilds. In addition, I can see genome being useful for other guilds as well, like a hexproof genome to protect the main threat in a Dimir control deck. I'm not sure it genome really lends itself to +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters, since it feels like you have a genome for a keyword (which is how I put it down in my own notes), but hey, there's stuff like prowess available for that! Flavorwise this mechanic matches the Simic Combine perfectly, what with their penchant for genetic engineering. In fact, I'ld say it feels more Simic than anything Wizards of the Coast themselves have put out so far, and that's no small feat!

Going into the individual designs, your common is an excellent and elegant example of genome on a noncreature spell. Your rare is a nice bundle of keywords with good stats (considering the keywords). Nothing too pushed, but versatile. Your uncommon though... How does this not already exist?! I think it's actually a bit too pushed as a bear, see e.g. Fairgrounds Trumpeter, but the design is delicious in general and synergizes perfectly with genome in particular. Another really solid submission!

ravnic
Veil (To veil a card, put it onto the battlefield face down. You may look at it. It's a colorless enchantment with " {2}, Reveal this permanent and return it to its owner's hand.")

CommonUncommonRare
Novice Conceiler {U}
Creature - Human Rogue

When Novice Conceiler enters the battlefield, veil the top card of your library.

1/2
Hidden Guildmage {U/B}{U/B}
Creature - Human Wizard

{3}{U}: For each player, return target nonland permanent that player controls to its owner's hand. Activate only as a sorcery.
{2}{B}: Each player discards a card. Activate only as a sorcery.

2/2
Disguising House Guard {1}{B}{B}
Creature - Skeleton Wizard

Menace
When Disguising House Guard deals combat damage to a player, you may return it to its owner's hand. If you do, veil any number of cards from your hand, then each player discards three cards.

2/3
Veil is a keyword action, that embodies all that dimir stand for - mechanically and flavorwise. They overwhelm their opponents with trickery and card advantage. They gather information, hidden in the shadows. And when the time is right, they use that information to beat their foes. Let me present you "Veil", a keyword action, that says: "To veil a card, put it onto the battlefield face down. You may look at it. It's a colorless enchantment with "{2}: Reveal this permanent and return it it's owner's hand." I added the reveal clause to make sure people who haven't bounced a morph before would play it incorrectly.

Most creatures and spells will let you veil the top card from your library, turning it essentially into a variant of investigate. Instead of artifact synergies, here you get enchantment and additional blink and bounce synergies. However, there would be some cards that also let you veil cards from your hand, as you can see in the rare I've created here.

Veil offers a lot of synergies. Azorius and sometimes Simic get to blink or bounce their permanents. Veiling cards from your hand can help you play with a hellbent-like mechanic in Rakdos. Also, all the enchantment synergies you often find in Ravnica would work with the face down cards. And, in the end, it's just card draw. Blue and black guilds should like that.
So, clues and shards are a known, and honestly fantastic, quantity, so we can safely assume that veiling the top card of your library is going to be good. In some cases better than good, if (like you point out) you have a way to blink enchantments. Using a face-down card for this mechanic is a bit unconventional, but cards like Yedora, Grave Gardener show that face down cards don't necessarily need to be a 2/2 creature without any types. My main concerns mechanically, then, with veil are a) the fact that it is often not that much different from a clue token, and b) the fact that when it is different (thanks to flicker effects), it can be game breaking. You have to jump through quite a few hoops, but if the payoff is strong enough, that jumping may be worth it. Finally, from a flavor standpoint, I think it's unfortunate that the rules require you to reveal face down permanents when they leave the battlefield, when Dimir are the guild of secrets, and the mechanic is called veil.

As for your individual designs, Novice Conceiler is basically a Thraben Inspector. Sometimes designing a super cool callback is better than designing a new card, and I know this card will play very well. Your guildmage is a clever design. A broader Peel from Reality on a seems fun to build around in limited, and making every player discard is a well-known effect. Cards like Liliana of the Veil and Rankle, Master of Pranks end up in cubes regularly, and I'm sure the discard option on both is sometimes the right call. The bounce ability works great with veiled cards, because you want to return those to your hand anyway, and the discard ability is great if you can veil cards from your hand, an option that you point out in your motivation, and show with your rare as well. Speaking of the rare, I'm unsure what to think of Disguising House Guard. It looks potentially powerful, but I find it hard to figure out how good this is if your opponent has a bit more than 3 cards in their hand. What do you do in that case, veil everything? This means you keep all your cards, but have to pay {2} for each one to return it. Your opponent might be down 3 cards, but the spells they did keep in hand aren't taxed. And if they cast something, your interaction costs {2} more to play. A difficult card to evaluate, but it does show off what how versatile your mechanic is very well.

All in all, I think you've done a good job of creating a useful mechanic with a wide range of applications (Frog Kidnapper but you veil an opponent's card, anyone?) that does feel very Dimir. I think you did a better job of creating a variety of cards than with compose too. Good job!

GROUP B WINNER
This group had four great, mostly flavorful submissions, but again, only one can win. The first to fall is veil. Not only do I have concerns about it being abusable, the flavor also feels off. Putting hidden (= face down) cards on the table feels very Dimir-esque, but being forced to then reveal that hidden information when you activate the return to hand clause just feels wrong. Next is brutality. Despite Kirblinx making me laugh the hardest with their submission, and the fact that brutality would be a great keyword for Gruul, I do think that in the context of this contest it was the least original of the four mechanics. It's also the submission (this round) where I had the most doubts about the individual card designs. That leaves genome and consume, which are both absolutely fantastic keywords. Honestly, I wouldn't be mad if WotC straight up stole these ideas (and brutality, to be honest) and put them in the next new Ravnica set, they're that good in my humble opinion. Great work, both of you! You also both submitted great cards for your mechanic, however, one of you showed a much greater range of designs than the other, and that is TrainmasterGT. In addition, your uncommon, while probably overtuned, is one of rare those designs where you go: "There's no way Wizards hasn't already made this," only to find out that it is indeed an original idea. I'm sorry you didn't get to kick yourself out of the competition ravnic. Congratulations TrainmasterGT, you are through to the next round!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I aimed to entertain and I did my job. I knew the wording on my entries was poor, but I wasn't in it for the victory.
Your explanations are really convincing me on your decisions as I probably would have different winners but I cannot argue with any of this logic.

I assume this was the death group?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Your explanations are really convincing me on your decisions as I probably would have different winners but I cannot argue with any of this logic.

I assume this was the death group?
Thanks for the kind words! :) Truth be told, while time consuming, forcing myself to write down my thoughts on each design really helps me figure out which design I like best.

To answer your question, I purposely didn't grade any of the entries beforehand, so I could enter the judging process without prejudice. I'm not sandbagging any results, you're really getting it as I figure it out myself. This also means I have no clue which group is the group of death yet, but yeah, this group was stacked for sure, and it is one of only two groups with four submissions, so it might be hard to top :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
GROUP C
Nanonox

Eclipse [target] (To eclipse, turn [target] face down. It's a 2/2 white and black Shadow creature.)

CommonUncommonRare
Rebirth to Darkness {1}{B}
Instant

Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, then eclipse it.
Shadow Collector {1}{B}{W}
Creature - Human Warlock

When Shadow Collector enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 white and black Shadow creature token.
Shadows you control get +1/+1

2/2
Occult Lumimancer {W}
Creature - Human Warlock

At the beginning of your end step, eclipse target creature you control.

0/1
The two colors that are the most in opposition in my mind are Black and White. Good vs Evil, Lawfulness vs Corruption, Light vs Darkness. So I wanted to make a mechanic to highlight that opposition and thought that the concept of an eclipse fit nicely. Blotting out the light casts darkness onto the world, hence the idea to flip the card into something indiscernable.
First things first, I changed the wording of your keyword's reminder text. You originally had eclipse mean "Turn target creature you control face down. Etc.", but your common says "eclipse it", which doesn't work under those rules, and I can't imagine you meant for your common to eclipse any target, flipping over one opponent's creature on each of your turns. I changed it to what you see above, and edited the wording of your common to reflect this change.

As for the actual mechanic, with cards like Ixidron and Cyber Conversion already existing, this is not a new ability, and it's reminiscent of morph and manifest as well. However, eclipse is a very evocative name, and a useful keyword, both for referencing the mechanic, and to use as an umbrella term. I will say you missed a big opportunity to turn the face down creature into a thrull, rather than a shadow, for extra Orzhov-y flavor. Not really a plus or a minus, but something I noted regardless :)

Let's go into the cards. I kinda hate that you put your rare first, your common second, and your uncommon third. That really tripped me up :p Anyway, Rebirth to Darkness is a really nice way to show off the possibilities of this keyword right away, but there is no way that this design is appropriate for a common. Zombify is the base vanilla effect for reanimation, and while cards like Return Triumphant show that you can return smaller things at two mana, all of these are sorceries, and the small reanimation effects can not return something broken like Atraxa, Grand Unifier! You can do reanimation at common, e.g. Rise Again, but not at this rate. Other than that, very interesting design though! Occult Lumimancer is a very cute and elegant design. At the bare minimum it's a nonlegendary Isamaru, Hound of Konda, which is pretty exciting, but you can use it to eclipse other stuff as well. Super sweet design, and a worthy rare. While those two ideas are very cool, even though the common needs some serious rebalancing, I think your uncommon offers a good rate, but forgive me for saying it does feel a bit uninspired. It's definitely synergystic, but also a bit bland for my taste. Despite some flaws, I still really like your idea!

Rusje (Gruul variant)

CommonUncommonRare
Freed Centaur {4}{G}
Creature - Mutant Centaur

Entry {2}{G}
When Freed Centaur enters the battlefield, destroy target artifact or enchantment. If you do, create a Treasure token.

3/5
Impulsive Thoughts {R}
Instant

As an additional cost to cast Impulsive Thoughts, exile a card from your hand.
Exile the top three cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards. At the beginning of the end step of that turn, put any cards exiled with Impulsive Thoughts that you didn’t play this way on the bottom of your library. (This includes the card exiled when casting this spell.)
Raidfire {5}{R}{G}
Sorcery

Entry—{2}{R}{G}, Exile a card from your hand.
Each player sacrifices four lands, sacrifices two artifacts, then sacrifices two enchantments. Raidfire deals 4 damage to each battle, creature, and planeswalker. You create two Treasure tokens.
At the beginning of the end step of your next turn, put all cards exiled with Raidfire on the bottom of your library.
Gruul: impulsive, chaotic, reckless, impatient, anti-civilisation.

Modus operandi: invade a part of the city, destroy everything and live off the loot until exhausted. Rinse and repeat.

Thing is: the modus implies that there are no lands for Gruul. Furthermore, translating the modus operandi to mtg would be something like target opponent sacrifices x (non-token and random) permanents (invasion and destruction), you sacrifice y (non-token and random) permanents (your losses in battle) and create z treasure and food tokens (the loot).

This does not sound like fun and is terribly difficult to balance. Maybe Gruul got shafted on interesting mechanics due to the flavour part being at odds with the core play style of mtg (lands).

There are only a few existing abilities that do fit: fight and the red temporary card draw. Madness (a great mechanic) seems like a fit due to the now or never character of the ability. However, it requires a lot of build around/thought to be able to use it and that is just not Gruul.

I think fight is a great mechanic, but it is build around creatures and I would love to have a Gruul mechanic which embodies Gruul, but eschews creatures. Is it possible to do something with the red temporary card draw and that is akin to madness? What if even better, the mechanic is generic but could be bended to the flavour of the guild?

The tempory draw (with returning the cards to the bottom of the library) fits the impulsive part without having to build around it like madness.
Gruul has cheaper entry costs than the casting cost, but often at the expense of resources like a card from your hand. This fits the use until gone.
Finally, the destruction for treasure.
Looking at this mechanic, I would say it can definitely feel red (casting spells from exile is kind of its thing), but not green at all. Additionally, while you cast the spell from exile, it feels more like reanimation, which is why I thought this fit better in Orzhov (though it would have been a good fit for Rakdos as well). The same concerns I had there are still valid. To reiterate, this is a classic A + B mechanic, meaning it eats up a lot of space in a set because you need enablers to get this payoff. You need exile effects, or this will do absolutely do nothing. This means you need to devote quite a bit of design space to support entry. Second, this mechanic runs the risk of creating repetitive board states. Third, these creatures need to be sub-par for the cost, simply because they keep coming back. And finally, fourth, this mechanic is potentially really dangerous to print.

I mentioned Food Chain before, but this time it's an even bigger problem, because of Freed Centaur. Not only is it in the same color as Food Chain, more importantly this card has an entry cost that is lower than its casting cost, meaning you gain 3 mana for every loop. I mean, Eternal Scourge and Misthollow Griffin already exist, but I'm not sure we need an additional guild's worth of creatures to cycle through Food Chain. Especially not if those creatures now suddenly have useful etb effects. Besides that concern, and the fact that entry doesn't really feel green, this feels a bit beefy for a common utility creature. This is, after all, still a 2-for-1. Looking at existing commons, only Conclave Naturalists comes close, but that was originally an uncommon, and it was only downshifted for double masters. A tad high on power then. Next we have Impulsive Thoughts, and man, I had to rewrite a lot there to get the template... sort of correct? .

MilesOfficial
Levy M (This creature can't be blocked unless defending player pays M for each creature they control that's blocking it.)

CommonUncommonRare
Passive Income {1}{W}
Enchantment

Whenever a creature you control becomes blocked, create a Treasure token. This ability only activates once per turn.
Obliging Sycophant {1}{B}
Creature - Spirit

Levy {2}

3/1
Relentless Parishioner {W/B}
Creature - Human Cleric

Levy {1}
Whenever a creature you control deals damage to a player, you may pay {1}{W/B}. If you do, return Relentless Parishioner from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped unless an opponent pays {1}.

2/1
Levy is an Orzhov mechanic that taxes blocking, so I made aggressive cards that love attacking and punish your opponent for blocking. I would enjoy playing with all these cards, personally, and I think that's a good metric for custom cards.
The moment I saw levy, I expected it to have shown up numerous times during Magic's life, but the only instance of it I could find was on the ancient Awesome Presence. Really, I have not much to comment on, it's a great ability to keyword, and Orzhov feels like a really natural place for it. Excellent work!

I do have to comment a lot on your individual designs though. Starting with your "common", I have two major problems with this card. First off, a recurring Treasure producer that is hard to touch should not exist at common in my opinion. This feels like an uncommon all the way. Second, and way more importantly, Passive Income rewards you for being blocked, but your mechanic discourages blocking. This is supposed to be your synergy card, but it doesn't work well with your levy card at all. Despite being a cool design in a vacuum, I think it's quite a miss. Your uncommon, however, is an excellent card. Marrying a low toughness aggro shitter to a keyword that makes it harder to block is great game play. However, I do wonder if it is exciting enough. Finally we arrive at your rare. I'm a bit sad that you can play this in monowhite or monoblack, but looking back at the wording of my contest rules, I didn't really make it clear enough that I wanted a card that required both colors, so I won't hold that against your design. What I will hold against it is that it's again a design that basically duplicates one of the other cards in form and function, only at a better rate. Yes this can conditionally return from the grave, but at its core, it's another aggro shitter that is a bit harder to block than normal. Solid but safe designs for a great mechanic both.

GROUP C WINNER
Only one may stand, and the first to bend their knee will be MilesOfficial's levy. I'll be honest, and say I think you played it way too safe. Levy begs for a saboteur mechanic, where the creature does something exciting when it deals combat damage to the opponent, but all we got were two straightforward aggressive creatures and an uncommon with anti-synergy posing as a common. I will say all of your three designs were very clean, and I wouldn't mind playing any of them, but they didn't grab me like I feel a really great submission should. Rusje, your designs pushed the envelope the hardest of all these submissions, but I fear they were also the messiest and most prone to abuse. I also think you put this mechanic in the wrong colors, with both {B/R} and {W/B} (which you did pick for your second submission) being more logical homes for this effect. That leaves Nanonox's eclipse, a very flavorful mechanic. I do think that, like morph, it places some restrictions on its environment, but your individual designs showed there are some great directions you can take eclipse in. Congratulations Nanonox, you are through to the next round!

I want to defend my ordering by saying I put the White card first, Black second and Gold third, but I didn’t do it for my other submission so it’s a load of BS.

I also want to thank you for taking the time to give such great constructive criticism, it will certainly be helpful in the future!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I want to defend my ordering by saying I put the White card first, Black second and Gold third, but I didn’t do it for my other submission so it’s a load of BS.
Hehe, it was my fault for not paying attention, but I did have to rewrite my entire review of your cards because I had evaluated everything at a different rarity XD

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey everyone, I'm back from the dead! :)

GROUP D
ellogeyen

Collection (Your collection consists of all creatures that don't share any creature type.)

CommonUncommonRare
Escape the Vat {1}{G}{U}
Sorcery

Create a 2/2 green Wolf creature token and a 1/1 blue Bird creature token with flying
Winged Behemoth {5}{U}
Creature - Crab Bird

This spell cost {1} less to cast for each creature in your collection.
Flying

4/4
Incubation Chamber {1}{G}
Artifact

{3}{G}, {T}: Create an X/X green and blue creature token without any creature types, where X is the number of creatures in your collection. Activate only as a sorcery.
A variation on Party, inspired by Volo, Guide to Monsters, that interacts with the whacky creature types of the Simic guild (see Sharktocrab). It provides a fun minigame during draft that works well with the other guilds (as they'll have different creature types) and evokes the feeling of puzzling together a biomancer's collection.
It's the first (sort of) batching mechanic of the competition! This mechanic makes you want to run as diverse a cast of creatures as possible. I love that you can actually make this really obvious on the table, for example by playing out your collection to the left, and the creatures that aren't part of your collection to the right. At its core, this is a counting mechanic, which makes it relatively easy to aim for a certain power level, because we know counting mechanics. Affinity, storm, amplify, sunburst, and a myriad of individual designs provide a pretty good benchmark to work off of. It also feels right at home in Simic. Leave it to a bunch of biomancers to be excited about an ever increasing collection of weird specimens!

Going into the individual designs, we start with a pretty spicy common. Looking at cards like Centaur Healer and Rubblebelt Runner, I think 3 power for 3 mana is certainly possible for a multicolored green spell, and this is a solid incentive to both go Simic, and aim for collection. Good design! This card on its own enables your uncommon on turn 4, which probably says more about how you costed your uncommon than about the power level of Escape the Vat. Looking at similar designs, we see Angelic Observer is a 3/3 (while probably being harder to discount), and Sky-Blessed Samurai has a mana value of 7. I think you made Winged Behemoth a bit too cheap for its size, but this effect has also been done before, so it's not too original either. I do like that you made it a Crab Bird, as this shows your keyword does offer some tension. After all, casting the Winged Behemoth after Escape the Vat means you reduce your collection to only the Wolf, because you'll have two Birds on the table. Your rare, finally, taps into typeless creatures, which is obviously the best way to grow your collection. I just wished it had said something like: "Create a blue an green creature token named Cytoplasm with no creature types. It has “This creature’s power and toughness are each equal to the number of creatures in your collection.” so the power and toughness wasn't fixed at the moment of creation. A strong submission for sure!

MurphysHuman
Flourishing (You are flourishing if you control more permanents than each of your opponents.)

CommonUncommonRare
Selesnya Grovetender {1}{G}
Creature - Elf Druid

When Selesnya Grovetender enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Saproling token.

1/1
Dawn's Light {3}{W}{W}
Sorcery

Create 2 2/2 green and white Plant Druid tokens. Then, if you are flourishing, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.
Thrix, Mindful Cultivator {2}{G}{W}
Creature - Insect Druid

Vigilance
At the beginning of your upkeep, if you are flourishing, search your library for a basic Forest or Plains card and put it onto the battlefield. If you aren't flourishing, create 2 1/1 green Insect creature tokens with flying instead.

4/5
Selesnya has a cool mechanic for increasing the number of permanents it has in play (populate) and a cool mechanic for using those permanents (convoke). Convoke is obviously a successful mechanic, but I wanted to riff on it in a way that didn't require tapping all the cool guys you've made. Outside of Ravnica, GW has a landfall/ramp-y identity, so I liked that flourishing also makes use of extra land drops (and that Thrix gets you more of them).

The common is a design we've seen before, but, weirdly, never in green! The uncommon is a hybrid Overrun/board builder which I think would be decent in limited. Both could be tuned up and down depending on the environment. The rare is designed to help you cast more of your cards when you are ahead and help you get to flourishing faster when you are behind. I anticipate a (hopefully fun) mini-game where you opponent has to decide when to try to take away your flourishing or not. (Also, she's a 4/5 so that you can cast Wildfire with her in cube).

It's possible that there's a play design issue here where constantly counting the number of permanents becomes annoying (this could be a bigger problem in Commander). I think it's wise to avoid passive P/T changes which turn on/off with flourishing, since post-combat damage math could get annoying. That's why here I've opted for a one-time and once-per-turn check. If this were to go into a set, you could imagine ensuring that all "flourishing checks" happened either upon resolution or on upkeep. A second play design issue is that in the early turns, flourishing depends heavily on whether you're on the play or draw. I think this can be solved by 1) making lots of the multi-permanent spells cheap, to help you get to flourishing even if you are on the draw 2) designing more cards like Thrix, which are modal based on whether you are flourishing or not, and 3) using flourishing as a bonus, rather than placing the bulk of each card's power budget within the flourishing mode.
I really, really like your insights on your design, because I think your worries are very real. This can be a relatively cumbersome counting mechanic. Threshold sort of was, back in the day, because you often had to check with your opponent how many cards they had in their graveyard (to play around certain effects) as well as your own (to make sure your effects were turned on). The big difference is that flourishing is a mechanic that you need to keep evaluating, there is no "stable state", and the numbers are much more likely to change both up and down too. And yes, this also runs the risk of being a runaway mechanic, where it basically comes down to the die roll to see if you are going to slaughter your opponent because you can keep exploiting flourishing, or languish because you never get there. I do think your solutions can help with the second case, but they will also ensure that you stay ahead much easier when you are on the play. A careful balance then.

Your individual designs are all great, really. Selesnya Grovetender is a green Goblin Instigator, a perfectly serviceable common that goes great with your mechanic. Your uncommon can be pretty spicy. The going rate for two vanilla 2/2's is about 3.5 mana, I'ld say, so you're obviously overpaying a bit if you're not flourishing... but if you are, five mana for two 3/3's is a great rate, and this could even buff some extra creatures too. Great payoff! Thrix, finally, is such a sweet concept too. Obviously triggering at the upkeep does make you wait a whole turn, but that gives your opponent the chance to influence the board state. I like the interactivity here, beyond the removal spell, I mean. That said there are two things that bug me about this design. First, the only intelligent insects on Ravnica seem to be the Kraul, and those are {B/G}. This character feels more like the Nantuko from Dominaria. Second, I don't know that ramping from four mana is actually better than creating two flyers, to me it looks like you get a better reward if you're not flourishing. All in all, this too is an exciting submission!

Modin
Decompose N (When this card is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile it. If you do, create N 0/1 Plant creature tokens.)

CommonUncommonRare
Shambling Compost {1}{B}
Creature - Plant Zombie

Decompose 2

2/2
Resourcefulness {B}{G}
Enchantment

When Resourcefulness enters the battlefield you may sacrifice another permanent. If you do, draw two cards.
Whenever a card leaves your graveyard, you may have target creature get -1/-1 until end of turn.
Moldervine Goliath {2}{G}{G}
Creature - Plant Giant

Decompose 2
When you exile Moldervine Goliath from your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.

5/3
So I've been getting a little into commander recently (I know, I know... but it feels a bit like cube design in that everything is possible) and I've become obsessed with making Tormod, the Desecrator work. Thus my Golgari mechanic is inspired by him. Decompose is what the Golgari always did, they just now found a name for it. I like the idea of some organic thing that has served its purpose and now gives way to new life expressed in the card being exiled rather than just hitting the yard. It is now permanently gone and something else was created in its stead.
I've got a Tormod, the Desecrator + Ghost of Ramirez DePietro deck, and it is super fun to play :) It actually won its last match on the back of an army of Desecrated Tomb bats ;) Oh right, contest! Focus Onder! Decompose looks like a useful mechanic, but to be honest, I'm a bit apprehensive about an army-in-a-can mechanic. That said, the flavor is super spot on, and the balance looks to be there at first glance. Your common is very decent. Obviously 0/1's don't have as much value... usually... as 1/1's, but creating three bodies for sacrifice shenanigans with one spell is very useful. I can definitely see this being a desireable pick in limited for the deck. If nothing else, it stalls a big attacker for multiple turns, which buys you the time to get your engine online. Your uncommon is a very exciting buildaround, though not having a limit on the -1/-1 ability is a power level concern for me. Bonkers with delve spells, for example. I would reword this to "Whenever one or more cards leave your graveyard" at the very least. Also, the second Resourcefulness can sacrifice the first, though you may not want to do that because stacking -1/-1 triggers is pretty powerful. Your rare, finally, is very cute, but it does run into the "this is just an upgrade of one of your other cards" issue I took with some earlier entries. Creating two 1/2's is just different enough from creating two 0/1's that I can sort of let it slide here, but at the same time I don't have much else to say. Solid entry!

GROUP D WINNER
I enjoyed this round a lot, and I think all of you deserve praise for coming up with such interesting mechanics. Only one may pass though, so I've got some choices to make. I'm sorry Modin, byt first to fall is decompose, for two reasons. First, I think your designs were a bit less exciting than those of the other two players. Second, I do think 0/1 tokens have a tendency to slow down the game if they show up in numbers, so I'm unsure how fun this will be as a mechanic. Obviously WotC themselves have done it before with eldrazi tokens, but that required a pretty specific environment to work. No need to hang your head though, because this was not a weak submission by any stretch of the imagination, it just so happens that I like the other two slightly better! The second mechanic that will not move on is... flourishing. Again, a solid submission, with an amazing motivation to boot, but I worry about the practicality and the balance of the mechanic. It's probably a hard mechanic to design cards for as well, because it easily leads to designs that facilitate runaway gamestates. The flipside is that if you mitigate that risk, the player ends up with cards where the reward might not feel great enough. To be really honest, I think the perfect variant of flourishing already exists. Ascend only requires you to count your own permanents, and once you get there, you stay there, regardless of what happens. Simple, elegant, and effective. Still, your designs secured you a second place here, with three very solid cards that just look like they are fun to play! That means we have a winner, congratulations ellogeyen! While I think your individual cards need some tweaks, they convey the possibilities of your mechanic really well, and there's something charming about building a collection of unique creatures. See you in the quarter finals!

Last edited: