Site News Contest - You make the 'haha' reaction

200.gif

Guys waht's a pog

You are <3

In actuality, "pog" is derived from the English "Play Of (the) Game," and grew to popularity with the video game Overwatch (2016). In this game, after each match the players are treated to a ~10 second clip of what was algorithmically determined to be the best play of the game from that player's perspective. (As an aside, they did a really good job with this system.)

"Pog" has, of course, grown from there, especially on Twitch. Anything that's potential "play of the game" material can be described as "poggers," and over time "pog" has expanded to describe not only actions but people as well, especially those who are notable for generating these highlight real. It's quickly grown from there to be applied to just about anything exciting, and is often paired with the noun "champ" as in the phrase "pog champ" or the elision "pogchamp," which can be simply another intensifier. My friend's brother has two rats, one named "Pog" and the other named "Champ." This is not relevant, but he's like thirty, so it's very funny to me. While "pog" and the derivative "poggers" can still be used as nouns or adjectives, they've more commonly grown to be used as exclamations.

edit: right, the reason I bring up "pogchamp" is, of course, because that's why it's "pogchimp."

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You are <3

In actuality, "pog" is derived from the English "Play Of (the) Game," and grew to popularity with the video game Overwatch (2016). In this game, after each match the players are treated to a ~10 second clip of what was algorithmically determined to be the best play of the game from that player's perspective. (As an aside, they did a really good job with this system.)

"Pog" has, of course, grown from there, especially on Twitch. Anything that's potential "play of the game" material can be described as "poggers," and over time "pog" has expanded to describe not only actions but people as well, especially those who are notable for generating these highlight real. It's quickly grown from there to be applied to just about anything exciting, and is often paired with the noun "champ" as in the phrase "pog champ" or the elision "pogchamp," which can be simply another intensifier. My friend's brother has two rats, one named "Pog" and the other named "Champ." This is not relevant, but he's like thirty, so it's very funny to me. While "pog" and the derivative "poggers" can still be used as nouns or adjectives, they've more commonly grown to be used as exclamations.

edit: right, the reason I bring up "pogchamp" is, of course, because that's why it's "pogchimp."
Worth mentioning also, is the fact that the pogchimp face is very similar to the original icon Twitch used for the pogchamp emote. That emote is now banned because apparently the guy whose face was used for the emote made some questionable and potentially incendiary tweets during the Capitol riots a few months ago. Expect the pogchimp icon to be used when people want to express excitement at someone else's accomplishments, like Kirblinx t8'ing a pauper tournament, for example.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
You are <3

You da real pogchamp