General Context Matters

Aoret

Developer
For certain cards, the overall context of your cube is very important. To put it generally, we make implicit assumptions about the contents of a given format when we evaluate cards. There are other cards which really don't care about context and will shine regardless: huntmaster of the fells, hero of bladehold, bloodbraid elf, etc. Now, obviously context affects all cards to a degree, but this is much more true of a select handful of cards. We can call these cards Context Dependent cards. Within this umbrella, there exist cards with both Implicit Context requirements and cards with Explicit Context requirements.

There is perhaps no more canonical example of an Implicit Context card than Brainstorm. When this card is brought up, most experienced players assume they'll be able to crack fetchlands post-brainstorm to shuffle useless cards away. The card is clearly good even when that play isn't possible and, of course, even with a fetch on-board there are times when you really do just want to keep all of your cards. The salient point, though, is that Brainstorm is markedly less powerful in an environment with less access to shuffle effects.

Another great example of implicit context is Entomb. Again, before I even bring it up, most readers will naturally think about Grave Titans or some other fatty being jammed into play on turn two. But the card doesn't actually say that it does that. Our context says that it does.

On the other hand, Explicit Context cards shout their context dependency right in the oracle text. There are thousands of examples of this, but a simple case is Ajani's Pridemate. If you have lots of incidental lifegain, he's really good. If you don't, he's just a bear. You might still want him, but he won't be awesome. Gravecrawler is another simple example. If you've got something like Jason's zombies archetype supported, he's really good. If not, still a decent dude, just not insane.

Context Independent cards largely don't care what else is going on the format. Generally speaking, these cards are finishers or value spells. Technically, they do care about context, but the context they care about is always present in a (normal) game of Magic: players always have 20 life, and having more cards or permanents than your opponent is always an advantage.

It is important to be aware of which cards are heavily context dependent and which cards aren't. This allows us not only to tweak the power level of certain cards to our liking, but also allows us room to utilize cards in different ways. Many designers already do this with explicit context cards; you often see these referred to as "build around me" cards or "archetype anchors". We can unlock a lot of cool possibilities when we start paying more attention to the subtler, implicit context. If nothing else, we should be aware of it when we make changes to our cubes.

We can tweak power level by understanding the fundamental mechanism which influences how a card performs. In the case of Entomb, the mechanism to examine is "well, what can I do with stuff once I have it in the 'yard?" essentially we're asking "entomb, then what?" The more things you can do, and the more powerful those things are, the more powerful entomb gets. In the case of Brainstorm we ask "what kinds of resource manipulation are possible when I cast this card?". If all we're getting is the ability to dig into our deck to grab some thing(s) right now, the card is still great, but not as good as it could be. We have a great deal of control over the quality of these cards in our environments!

We can utilize cards in unique ways when we understand these mechanisms. You can turn a card like Entomb on its head when you remove our preconceived notion of what it does. Generally speaking, this means removing the most degenerate use of a card from the realm of possibility within your cube. I saw mentioned on the forums recently that without any reanimator cards, entomb is basically a tutor for decks that care about the graveyard (eternal witness, gravecrawler, bloodghast, etc).

Astute readers may have noticed my careful avoidance of which cards lend context to others. In our Brainstorm example, there are a vast array of cards which care about instants being cast, or being in the graveyard, etc. It is worth bearing in mind that every card we include in our format contributes to the overall context of that format. The result is a complicated mesh of interwoven dependencies between all of our cards.

So, what interesting Implicit Context cards have you found? What cards can you totally turn on their head by altering the environment in which they're played?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I like your Entomb example. I never included it in my cube until I removed the Reanimation package. Similarly, Tinker can be a fun, skillful and fair card in the right setting.

Awareness of these contexts allows you to do some really subtle tweaks as well. I wanted to improve blue-based control, so I tossed in another Brainstorm. In addition to helping them dig for answers, it combines well with control Miracles like Terminus and Bonfire of the Damned. But the same change required me to remove Entreat the Angels, which was causing unfun games.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Auras are extremely context sensitive. Empyrial Armor is the best card in MVW draft, but is generally not cubed. This is because MVW has sparse removal, while cube has lots of removal and most of it is cheap, instant and non-situational. Auras can actually become extremely powerful if you include less removal plus hard to target dudes to the point of being game dominatingly unfun.

Everyone knows Life from the Loam is context dependent, but Stinkweed Imp can be very good rather then just "bad vampire nighthawk" if you include enough cards that want to get tossed in the graveyard via dredge. The combo of deathtouch stall plus setting up your combo has lots of potential.

I run tinker and goblin welder even though I don't include any "tinker targets" and they really still are a good cards. In fact, running cards to "abuse" them really makes them pretty depressing. In what world is tutoring a card and putting it directly into play for 3 mana not good enough unless that card is Inkwell Leviathan

Good post. I have to say it always annoys me that people will ask questions in 'this or that' threads without any context in their cubes.

I guess this could be illustrated by the inclusion of shatter in mirrodin, going up in value to how it was perceived in previous blocks.

As well as context vs other cards in your cube, you probably need to consider design principles, size of cube, powered etc.

Aoret

Developer
Awesome input guys! I think you've hit on an interesting point that this context awareness can help you avoid introducing game-ruining elements. I had focused in on what ways I could introduce more fun with context awareness, but I think both sides of the coin are equally important.

Spinning off of my "no fetchlands" Brainstorm example, I've also been able to include Steppe Lynx and Plated Geopede despite having a pretty low power level overall. In fact, this has made Harrow a pretty desirable effect and kind of a cool trick (especially when you cast some other pump spell off of the two untapped lands!)

What kinds of cards are y'all Tinkering into play in your examples? I'm trying to get a good picture of what these "fair but fun" uses are.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Since I've added a light reanimator theme, I've been very happy with the filtering cards in blue, which includes your usual staples like Thirst for Knowledge and Compulsive Research, but extends to role players like Enclave Cryptologist, Merfolk Looter, and Careful Consideration. These are all spells and creatures that range from marginal to decent in control decks that are looking to sculpt their hand and dig past land gluts for their powerful spells. But when your deck can benefit from pitching some high value creatures into the yard, these spells go from merely decent to becoming the lynchpin of the entire deck. Nothing says this more than seeing your Merfolk Looter immediately Bolted on sight, or pumping the fist when you open your third pack and finding Careful Consideration nestled in at the back.

The next example is obviously pilfered directly from Jason's cube, but passable Threaten effects like Mark of Mutiny that are normally sideboard material even in their respective Limited formats turn into outright powerhouses with the right density of sacrifice effects. When you can almost assuredly eat your own creatures at any moment for fun and profit, Act of Treason is a very real Magic card.

Aoret

Developer
Another one that I've been just destroyed by a handful of times is Sever the Bloodline (or, if you prefer, Maelstrom Pulse) type effects. Since I run a token theme, these cards are a way to keep the token decks honest. I had a WG deck last weekend that was splashing for Sarkhan the Mad and I was pretty sure I had the game locked with my pair of dragon tokens, Sarkhan, and Garruk Wildspeaker on board... until they got Severed. Yeah, that felt bad.

Of course, these have the unintentional consequence of hosing you for breaking singleton, which is worth bearing in mind, but honestly has been more of a funny value play than game-ruining the handful of times it has come up.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
If I have Disk, Masticore, and Sword of Feast and Famine in my counterpost style deck, having tinker to turn my manarock into the right one for the situation is hugely rewarding.

Tinkering a depleted Tangle Wire, Serrated Arrows or Sphere of Suns into basically anything is pretty awesome. Tinkering Perilous Myr or solemn simulacrum into basically anything is also pretty nice.

Any deck that has trading post in it benefits greatly from tinker both to find the post or get the recursion jumpstarted.

Tinkering to find a pithing needle if you need an answer, or a dude if you need a threat is very sweet.

I'm pretty sure that Whip of Erebus will be tinkered for in the near future.

It might be time to buy a baleful strix. I dislike the card because of its floor seems too strong for 2 mana, but I love the possibilities it provides.

Aoret

Developer
@FSR, that makes sense. It sounds like maybe Tinker is best utilized this way in an environment with fairly strong, but not totally busted artifacts. My lower power level cube probably isn't really interested in this effect, but my higher power level cube could definitely justify it. I'll keep this in my mental notes for when I inevitably switch projects back to the higher power environment :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
What kinds of cards are y'all Tinkering into play in your examples? I'm trying to get a good picture of what these "fair but fun" uses are.

Context: Hannes' lower power artifact cube. Tinker was a good toolbox card. Last time I saw it used, the player Tinkered up Elbrus and flipped it that turn. Then end of turn his opponent played this:
Image.ashx

It was astounding.

Aoret

Developer
@Jason, that is exactly the kind of weird, memorable play experience that makes what we do so cool. It is a story and an experience uniquely crafted by that designer, his players, and random chance on a given day. It can't happen anywhere else, and it is just damn awesome!

I really liked the original post. I wish I had more time to let it direct me when I had read it initially. Maybe I'll read it again before the next time I start working on my cube.

Aoret

Developer
@Lucre Thanks for the feedback :) I'd had this idea bouncing around in my head for a while before I shared it. I'm really glad to be part of this environment where we can all learn a bit from each other and even steal an idea or two!