General Counterspells

A core part of blue, hated by some, loved by others.

Even though my cube is low power and synergy-based, I think counterspells scale tightly with cube power level, so my suite is:

That's 9/408 = 2.20% of the cube

Which counterspells are interesting to run?

Which counterspells are just too frustrating?

How many counterspells do you run? Why?

Counterspells are crucial for blue as they are the colors only permanent answer to creatures ans all other kinds of spells - especially if you exclude claustrophobia effects. (Which I do because I think they undermine blues weaknesses)

I also think strong but fair counterspells make for fun gameplay, as they reward stuff like timing and bluffs. I never felt breaking anything at my lower power level with these:

I tried to have as many as possible in the objectively superior pre 8th edition frame

I like counters that are versatile (so I can do things if my opponent chooses to play around the counterspell)

or cheap (so I can cast other cheap spells to advance my game plan and still hold up protection)

I don't run all of these, but I could be convinced to add them.

There are also tempo counterspells which can help push the archetype in blue

To answer your other questions, I don't find any counters frustrating, but I do find Mystic Confluence too strong (I am still pressured by my play group to play it, but that is another matter). I run 9 counters so far to support 2 blue drafters (we are often only 4 players) and account for hate drafting. I'm not sure the number is correct, but so far it's been decent.

I'm surprised people here play so many powerhouses like CCommand, Exclude, Counterspell and Mana Leak.
Those are the ones I strongly consider:

Do you guys run nonblue counterspells? I forgot about these two:

Yes, they don't say counter, but if I count Willbender, I have to count Bolt Bend. And Shelter works so well in countering removal, bounce, stealing and auras (as well as combat trick, making creatures evasive, surviving earthquakes ...) that I count it as a counterspell of sorts.

I used to run Shelter but I don't like protection, even if it's temporarily, as I also don't like creatures getting unblockable so easily (flying and menace are exceptions). What I like is

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think counterspells are fun, and a core part of blue's identity, and (as ravnic rightly points out) necessary to answer various problems that blue can otherwise only temporarily answer. That said, I try to run not too many, because I like it when the blue player has to work for it a bit. The other parts of the color, like the massive amount of card advantage, already make it an extremely good color, and having too many catch-all answers, even though they are timing-dependant, can smother other colors, just because blue can protect its board too well.

That's all I run at 450!