General Cube Drafting on MODO

For a riptide cube I'd guess about 1000€ +/-300. That said, I have no idea of modo prices right now. Cards that don't see tournament play should be cheaper...

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
With modern decks, I find that the MODO price is usually about half of what the R/L price is, so I would estimate most riptide cubes to be around 1-2k based on the date we were sharing when champion was released.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I was thinking about building one so that we could generate content (record matches and actually put them on CFB, for example), but I'm not sure the best way to go about it. Take donations? Kickstart it somehow? Bite the bullet and buy it? Sell my paper cube?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
How well does the Penny Pincher cube translate into MODO grillo? I'm not too familiar with the differences in price, but my brain remembers some random cards being a million bucks online and pennies in paper because of the weirdness of old set releases on MODO.

If your cube doesn't happen to have any of those anomalies, it'd be a decent candidate

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think the relationship would stay the same. Most of those cards are still cheaper online, with a few exceptions that I don't run in the list: e.g. daze.

I'm guessing it would come out to about $100 to build online, which is just hilariously cheap.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I just added up my proposed white section on MTGO Traders and it runs 53 dollars. That's probably fairly representative for the colored sections? I can't imagine Red costing much, but maybe Blue has some surprises.
Lands will be the most expensive section. Wasteland may get the axe for budget concerns.

The alpha lands are pretty cheap, or at least were the last time I looked. The Khans fetches are cheap as well but going up, but the Zendikar fetches are pretty pricy as you might imagine.

If it's for generating content for CFB, is there a chance they might sponsor some of the cost?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The alpha lands are pretty cheap, or at least were the last time I looked. The Khans fetches are cheap as well but going up, but the Zendikar fetches are pretty pricy as you might imagine.

If it's for generating content for CFB, is there a chance they might sponsor some of the cost?

It's possible. I'd like to think of it as an RL cube, that could be drafted even when I'm not around.

Just added up the blue section and it's $100+. Probably the most expensive colored section.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
If you are doing this as a marketing initiative for the site, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to start putting sudden budget limits on the cube. You're going to be competing with CF's normal MODO cube content, and the legacy cube's power level is already about the same as yours. You won't have a roster of pro players demoing the list, so the real appeal is going to be the curiosity of seeing a singleton breaking 360 list in action.

Watering down the interactions that were the entire reason to break singleton in the first place (e.g. wasteland) and construct a unique list, seems risky.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
If you are doing this as a marketing initiative for the site, I'm not sure how good of an idea it is to start putting sudden budget limits on the cube. You're going to be competing with CF's normal MODO cube content, and the legacy cube's power level is already about the same as yours. You won't have a roster of pro players demoing the list, so the real appeal is going to be the curiosity of seeing a singleton breaking 360 list in action.

Watering down the interactions that were the entire reason to break singleton in the first place (e.g. wasteland) and construct a unique list, seems risky.

It's more to promote the idea than the site. I think this type of cubing is fun, and most people haven't seen it in action.

Thanks. And holy shit, Liliana costs 93 tickets???

No reprints, best walker in Modern and the second-best in Legacy

there's a few individually-pricy cards that make up the lion's share of my Cube, too - a few budget tweaks might make a cheaper, but still great, environmen(on the order of like $200 cheaper)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like about 1300 tics, ~200 of that is for the Wastelands.

But a set of alpha lands runs just 43 tickets. Not bad.

On a tangent: I've been thinking about the logistics of recording paper Cube sessions. It was prompted again recently by this LoadingReadyRun Conspiracy draft, which called for two mics, three cameras(one wide) and a long table. MiloTheGathering who iirc Lucre plays with (among other Toronto crowd) has a couple of youtube videos of Good Cubes Being Played; the draft-cam he uses in this video is a cool idea (small phone stand?), as is the shakier oblique one-camera setup here. My laptop isn't powerful enough to stream MTGO video so I've thought about this a couple of times; if you have a consistent paper playgroup the expenses might be better-spent on video equipment. My plan is:
omni mic like my Blue Yeti
two cheap hd webcams
field recorder for backup audio
uhhhhh my phone for vox pops? people can use their phone to draftcam and maybe i'd edit it in

Anyone seen videos of paper Cube nights that were a) edited and b) good? I'd want to produce something I'd enjoy watching

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
On a tangent: I've been thinking about the logistics of recording paper Cube sessions. It was prompted again recently by this LoadingReadyRun Conspiracy draft, which called for two mics, three cameras(one wide) and a long table. MiloTheGathering who iirc Lucre plays with (among other Toronto crowd) has a couple of youtube videos of Good Cubes Being Played; the draft-cam he uses in this video is a cool idea (small phone stand?), as is the shakier oblique one-camera setup here. My laptop isn't powerful enough to stream MTGO video so I've thought about this a couple of times; if you have a consistent paper playgroup the expenses might be better-spent on video equipment. My plan is:
omni mic like my Blue Yeti
two cheap hd webcams
field recorder for backup audio
uhhhhh my phone for vox pops? people can use their phone to draftcam and maybe i'd edit it in

Anyone seen videos of paper Cube nights that were a) edited and b) good? I'd want to produce something I'd enjoy watching

Hmmm, I'll check out the LRR video. Can you really discuss your pics that way during drafting?
It's a nice idea, but I can't imagine the execution being as enjoyable as a MODO stream.

Hmmm, I'll check out the LRR video. Can you really discuss your pics that way during drafting?
It's a nice idea, but I can't imagine the execution being as enjoyable as a MODO stream.

Yeah, you lose this (although the two people closest to cameras can show things to them) but instead you get to capture table talk and do interviews more easily. Milo's mono-blue draft video (the first one i linked above) has him leafing through his hand for the camera with draft commentary added in post - but that's definitely an added hassle.

The idea, at least initially, was to bring elements of in-person Cube nights to the crowd who know it as a MTGO thing and show nonsingleton games at the same time.

It's not anything I was going to do soon, but I might try it for the (Limited!) GP in january

I wasn't aware of an option on MODO to make/draft cubes. I might look into getting on MODO then...

That being said, I would love to be able to draft with you guys

Hm... then why not just use Cockatrice or something similar if already using a 3rd party drafter? Saves ~$1000 for the owner at least.
I'm not sure, as I've never used Mtgo, is it THAT much better?

Hm... then why not just use Cockatrice or something similar if already using a 3rd party drafter? Saves ~$1000 for the owner at least.

The competition here I think is XMage, which is Java-based and has rules enforcement. I've never been able to get it to work but allegedly it's quite plug-and-play, and I think it has draft functionality.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

It has better visibility. I'm not sure the average channelfireball reader would take kindly to Freeware Magic, let alone whoever is the content manager thesedays.