General Cubing at big events

Hi all -

What are your experiences on cubing at conventions/GPs/Opens etc? I want to take my cube to PAX but I'm a little worried about the potential of theft. What is the best way to safeguard your cube? Store and play off-site? Hand-cuff it to your wrist secret service style? Am I being overly paranoid? Please share your experience and advice with cubing in large environments, thanks!

CML

Contributor
I have never tried it, though I realize there's little reason for this as I'm carrying four figures in a backpack already, and it's probably cost me some social opportunities with Wizards employees as if I were a flailing Kafka protagonist.

AFAIK very few other contributors here play competitively ever

Rob Dennis

Developer
I've brought my cube to the only scg open I've been to in the last year and unfortunately never opened it. Perhaps an analogous situation is me lending out my cube to a friend when they draft at their other friends.

I don't worry that much about theft because I liberally proxy using a color printer most things over 10 dollars or so. It would be inconvenient to replace a deck, cube is the only hobby I spend disposable income on and feel like if it's not being played, why do I even have it?

When I'm hosting in my own house, with my normal group, I still don't sleeve up revised duals because of beer considerations.

Two things I've read on the subject, Anthony Avitollo (sp? From the third power) has players turn back in their sideboards after deckbyild to have less cards out of the box. Justin Parnell famously had his fully blinged out cube stolen at an event and he remade it as all proxies.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I cube in public all the time at our FLGS, but I don't think I'll bring mine to GP Antwerp later this year.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I brought mine to GP London a little while ago and had no problems. Then again, I didn't play in the event, I just watched my friends and eventually cubed. It was with me the whole time. Maybe I'm naive (read: I'm naive), but I don't really see how it can get snatched if you don't leave it lying around or something. Then again, I hear about these thefts now and then, so I suppose it happens.

So this story goes back to Worlds in San Fran in 2011

My playgroup is mostly cube and/or edh players at this point, and we drafted several cubes just fine.

1. Keep your cards with you. At BIG events, I tend to put my leg through one of the straps on my backpack when sitting down
2. If you are playing in the event, why do you have the cube? Depends on the day/tournament. Two of the four days for worlds I didn't take the cube to the event. I knew I was going to be doing other things.
3. Find that location away from the masses. Most big events have empty tables near the back, go cube there with your friends. Invite the new friends/players but if they want to draft, they come to you and your playgroup.

Never had a problem with getting stuff stolen from me, but my dumbass at a PTQ (if I recall correctly) set down a foil Ob Nixilis, the Fallen, foil Creeping Tar Pit, and foil All is Dust, which I had just had signed by artist Jason Felix (so I was letting them dry), walked off for like maybe a minute, realized I left the cards behind, and they weren't there when I returned...