General [Custom Card Contest] Adventuring for Gold (deadline May 1)

Sick, I am glad I can still make use of my 14-year history of making up magic cards on the internet for something.

With regards to power level I normally have a somewhat reasonable understanding of where I want my cards to lie, but since I am designing it for cube enthusiasts it becomes very hard to know where to land. I mentioned that under normal circumstances I wouldn't have made the dual land work with fetchlands, which is an interaction I think is broken, but in cube you have to spend actual picks on getting that interaction, and it gives an interesting play pattern of whether you want to actually fetch a land or get another one since this one serves as a better topdeck.
Meanwhile, with the Spirit, I have to make a judgment of whether I want it to compare to actual Reanimate, Animate Dead, Persist, or the unplayable 4-mana options. One aspect of the card I didn't end up being too fond of is how much stronger it is played altogether than piecemeal, I enjoy the synergy I baked into it, but I wish it didn't overshadow the option of splitting it up.
And for your remarks on Trisanda, I'm not actually that invested in the design I ended up with, but for the comments about the creature itself, I wanted it to replicate some of the play patterns Fell Stinger have which really excite me, and the minute details around how it can be awkward to play are there to make it more of a sidegrade (plus I'm a boomer and I like those kinds of drawbacks).

As a last remark on the designs, while I liked a lot of the submissions, and I felt like several of them did a more elegant job of tying together two effects than I managed to, I do want to say that I think Jinx Merchant was design-wise probably the most flawed of blacksmithy's designs, as there is not only no opportunity cost to using the adventure half (outside of playing around negates and codex shredders), it also makes the card effectively mono-green, which is rather questionable considering it doles out -1/-1's.

Thanks for the context. Jason will sadly have to keep holding on to his money, I don't much care for it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
As a last remark on the designs, while I liked a lot of the submissions, and I felt like several of them did a more elegant job of tying together two effects than I managed to, I do want to say that I think Jinx Merchant was design-wise probably the most flawed of blacksmithy's designs, as there is not only no opportunity cost to using the adventure half (outside of playing around negates and codex shredders), it also makes the card effectively mono-green, which is rather questionable considering it doles out -1/-1's.
Oh yeah, it definitely needs tweaking somewhere, as the effect breaks the color pie without some form of fix, but like I said, numbers and mana costs can be adjusted :) I'ld probably change the creature ability to "{B}, Sacrifice X tokens: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn."
Thanks for the context. Jason will sadly have to keep holding on to his money, I don't much care for it.
Yesss! I'm looking forward to your custom forum title and the next contest ;)

Wow @blacksmithy those are impressive.

I especially like your Bedazzled Buccaneer and your Jinx Merchant.
There is something exotic about a card that creates two simple utility tokens.
I would have prefered Buccanner without surveil.

Also wow @TrainmasterGT I really dig the simplicity of your Colossal Firemaw!
It should probably cost a little more but I understand the reference/reason why it costs {4}{G}{G}. Pretty cool art too. It fits the card very well! Looks Hearthstoney. I laughed at your Sponge :p

@Mown
"Draw a card, then discard two cards, then draw a card."
Wizards should try this out. I can imagine several situations where it plays differently than what we've seen before (Draw 2 -> Discard 2 or reversed)

I am no judge but I just saw this thread and really wanted to give my praise to you three!

is the idea that I make up my own title because I don't know if I am capable of such a herculean task

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
is the idea that I make up my own title because I don't know if I am capable of such a herculean task
Yep! I was trying to set a precedent with the [Custom Card Contest] tag, and I'ld put the deadline in the title, but the part between those is entirely up to you ;)

That is a reasonable interpretation, but I was talking about the user title, a matter of much greater import.
I was going to suggest "Always Mowning about something," but I like Modin's idea much better :D:p

Also wow @TrainmasterGT I really dig the simplicity of your Colossal Firemaw!
It should probably cost a little more but I understand the reference/reason why it costs {4}{G}{G}. Pretty cool art too. It fits the card very well! Looks Hearthstoney. I laughed at your Sponge :p
Thanks Vel <3