General [Custom Card Contest] Adventuring for Gold (deadline May 1)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Dear audience, I pondered my prize, and judged it a bit cheap to claim prize money when I was regrettably the only entry to Jason's New Meld / BFM / Fuse Cards contest. So, instead of claiming the $25, I got a custom forum title and the privilege of hosting my own contest! I'm an Ecstatic Orb indeed, for today I present to you your own chance for money or fame, and all you need to do is enter this new contest here!

The Contest
Design an adventure card.
  • The adventure half and the creature half must not share a color.
  • Both halves must have some internal synergy or interaction that would not work as a monocolor design.
  • No more than three entries per person.
  • Entries due on (or before) Sunday, May 1, 2022.

As a (relatively bland) example, I present to you Progeny of Korlis.

Progeny of Korlis.jpg

As in the previous Custom Card Contest, I will decide the winner completely subjectively. You are still free to express all of your opinions, who knows if they'll affect my final judgment ;) Please post your entries in this thread. The winner gets to choose money (the $25 prize previously offered by Jason) or fame (a custom forum title and the privilege of hosting a new Custom Card Contest)! Good luck and have fun!

Contest hints: While it is easier to create two-color adventure cards in Magic Set Editor (provided you have the right frame installed) because it auto-colors the frame parts correctly based on used mana costs, it can also be done in Card Conjurer. On the Frame tab, select 'Regular' in the first dropdown, and 'Adventures (Eldraine)' in the second dropdown. First select the required Frame Image and the Mask option 'No Mask' for the creature half and click 'Add Frame to Card'. Then select the required Frame Image and the Mask option 'Rules' for the adventure half, click on 'More options' and then click on 'Add Frame to Card (Left Half)'.
Edit: When using Card Conjurer, I like to open the resulting png in Microsoft Paint, scale it down to 30% of its original dimensions, save as jpg, and then upload that jpg as an attachment to my forum post. It's what I did with the card above. Card Conjurer's own png's are ridiculously good quality, way above what is needed for a forum :D

Last edited:
I cannot resist the technicalities.
Although it might not fit the second criteria looking at it again, which seems to only make sense if both halves are mono-colored even if that's not explicitly asked for. Well, I was planning on also making a couple conventional ones regardless.

edit: added two more, one bottom-up and one top-down, I guess they both ended up in BW.
also oh no the second card has a typo in the name
GigiRIM.png
z6049GS.png
Gei7hh6.png

Last edited:
I cannot resist the technicalities.
Although it might not fit the second criteria looking at it again, which seems to only make sense if both halves are mono-colored even if that's not explicitly asked for. Well, I was planning on also making a couple conventional ones regardless.
GigiRIM.png
yo i might end up using a cycle of these

yo i might end up using a cycle of these
It's probably somewhere between Steam Vents and Volcanic Island in power level so I'm not entirely surprised, under non-cube circumstances I probably wouldn't let you fetch it into play untapped either. (Which would be closer to the card I stole the mechanic from.)

anyway, done with my submission unless I change my mind about something, shame the showcase frame doesn't work as well for this context on cardconjurer, and I don't really want to fire up an image editor to fix it.

Laz

Developer
under non-cube circumstances I probably wouldn't let you fetch it into play untapped either. (Which would be closer to the card I stole the mechanic from.)
~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you played it from exile.

Maybe?

Odd synergy with the Red Impulse Draw, but the intent is pretty clear. It is a really neat variant on the MDFC Lands - and doesn't require anyone to take anything out of a sleeve, which is a big win in my book.

~ enters the battlefield tapped unless you played it from exile.

Maybe?

Odd synergy with the Red Impulse Draw, but the intent is pretty clear. It is a really neat variant on the MDFC Lands - and doesn't require anyone to take anything out of a sleeve, which is a big win in my book.
hey don’t go nerfing good lands lol

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's 00:00 where I live, but Monday's still a few hours away in some parts of the world. I'll leave the contest open until 00:00 PDT, which is in just under 9 hours from now. Good luck with your last minute entries! :D

Penitent Knight Re-Resized.pngMammon, the Greedy Resized.pngDefiant Conqueror Resized'.png

Feeling pretty Mardu today, I guess! The treasure-making Adventure needs to be a Sorcery, balance-wise, but I'd made it a while back when I didn't know how to save outside of the image. And fan cards are a bit cringe, I know, but I like Tom's art so much that I can't help but use it whenever I reasonably can.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
*Judgment Day*
Time to go over all the entries in this contest. Since I allowed everyone to submit up to three designs, I've got quite a few to go over, but first I want to take a moment to outline my judging philosophy. Since this is a Design contest, I'm mostly looking for cool designs that tickle my fancy. Mana costs, wording, creature types, all these things can be tuned in the Development phase, and as such won't be front and center in my evaluations. If I do mention them, be sure they won't affect my final judgment of a card by much, if at all. Likewise, while art can make or break a concept, none of you will have commissioned an actual artist to fit a particular card idea you had in mind, so I can't place too much weight on it. As someone who cubes with custom cards, I know all too well how hard it can be to find that perfect art. In fact, I've written off ideas that I just couldn't find any fitting art for in the past. Obviously, the entries must still meet the contest criteria, so for clarity's sake I'll repeat those here!

Design an adventure card.
* The adventure half and the creature half must not share a color.
* Both halves must have some internal synergy or interaction that would not work as a monocolor design.
* No more than three entries per person.
* Entries due on (or before) Sunday, May 1, 2022.

With that out of the way, let's get going!

*blacksmithy - Bedazzled Buccaneer*
blacksmithy - Bedazzled Buccaneer.png

This is a fun but dense design! You use three different keywords here, but no reminder text (four if you count Adventure itself, which also has its own reminder text).
Incidentally, you used the Ixalan set symbol for the card, but none of the keywords are used in that set. I feel like a Masters or Commander set symbol would have been more appropriate, but considering my judging philosophy it shouldn't be a surprise that I'm not going to dock any points for either detail ;) I do feel that the Surveil keyword feels a bit out of place as the third keyword, since the internal synergy is obvious between Investigate and Improvise. Maybe you could have used Scry as a simpler evergreen effect to make the card a bit less dense. I am a big fan of the play patterns this card promises. Sometimes it'll be correct to not cast this turn two and instead keep open mana to play (or bluff!) a Counterspell, and crack the Clue on your opponent's end step. All in all a very cool card!

*blacksmithy - Dreamer's Door*
blacksmithy - Dreamer's Door.png

This is one of those designs that I don't think can survive through the Development phase. Entomb is quite a broken card, and the adventure half of this card is an Entomb for any/card type without the downside of being able to accidentally draw the card you want to end up in your graveyard. And we haven't even talked about the incredibly souped up Scepter of Insight half of the card! While Scepter isn't up to snuff these days (hello Arcane Encyclopedia!), I don't think it needs a glow up of this magnitude. Needless to say, an adventure card that is both a more broken Entomb and the most efficient blue Tome in the game by a mile is a bit hard to evaluate, but if we isolate both effects and imagine them at an appropriate cost, I do like the interaction. Both sides have their own play patterns, one being mainly a combo tool I assume, the other being a card advantage machine with card selection that can pull you ahead if ever the game goes long. The fact that you can tutor then shuffle back a silver bullet, dig towards it by scrying away whatever's on top of your library, and then repeat the search by shuffling back your freshly cast silver bullet is sweet from the pilot's perspective. Things look less enticing on the other side of the table, which is why I'm pretty sure WotC doesn't print these kinds of effects at this rate in actual Magic. Repeatedly activating the scry 2 + draw ability means your opponent will basically always have the perfect foil to your plans, unless you can go under the card advantage machine, which can be pretty demotivating, I imagine. All in all it's an intriguing design, but I'm not sure it's fun for both sides of the table, and I think it's your weakest of the three.

*blacksmithy - Jinx Merchant*
blacksmithy - Jinx Merchant.png

The first thing I noticed is that you submitted your third proactive one mana adventure card. That makes running the adventure into the creature (or whatever permanent type happens to be there) quite easy. It's an approach WotC themselves have used on only a few designs, and I would have loved to see another approach from you. That wasn't the assignment though, which makes this nothing but a random observation :) I like this design a lot, even if I'm not sure the activated ability should cost no mana to activate. Like Bedazzled Buccaneer, the adventure side allows you to power out the creature side on turn 2, but at the cost (this time) of having less tokens available to shoot down your opponent's board. This one too, gives you a way to spend 2 mana (to gain 3 life) on turn two instead, if you want to. I must say I like the flavor here as well. This is a very solid design, and I'm not quite sure if I like this or Bedazzled Buccaneer better. Great work blacksmithy!

*Modin - Ravine Gorger*
Modin - Ravine Gorger.png

Talking about flipping the curve of the adventure and creature half, this is a great design. I think the adventure half should be red, since white is about equal treatment, and this allows you to very easily break the symmetry in an un-white way. That's a development thing though, and the card would meet the contest criteria regardless! I like the inherent tension of destroying all nonbasic lands on an, effectively, gold card. This asks you to solve a deck construction conundrum, and one of its colors (green) naturally answers that question with its Rampant Growth effects. All in all a lovely, balanced design that makes a lot of sense. Well done!

*Mown - Valley of Tides*
Mown - Valley of Tides.png

I love, love, love where you went with this design. This oozes flavor and the design is top notch. This feels like an appropriate way to reward a proper building of a deck's mana base, while also giving the player an out if the luck of the draw doesn't provide. Even if you have the correct mana, it can still be the correct play to not get greedy and play the tapland on turn 1. The adventure half, as well, rewards good gameplay, by not giving you all the information at once. I'm baffled this isn't an effect that exists, in fact. I get that Careful Study is more straightforward, but this is an interesting variant. Switching the effects to "Discard a card, then draw two cards, then discard a card" is even more interesting, in my mind, but that's very much a development tweak as well, I feel. The only thing I dislike is that this enters untapped off of a fetch. Regardless, !

*Mown - Transient Echo*
Mown - Transcient Echo.png

Once again, we have a second submission that probably won't survive Development. Two Mulldrifters for {2}{W}{B} feels a bit much, and that's far from the scariest thing you can do. The effects, however, play very nicely together. This card looks like an absolute blast to play, and will defintely start players' gears to discover the best ways to abuse it. I like that there's plenty of play to the card apart from the internal synergy as well. Sometimes a 2/1 flash for two mana is all you need to parry an attack or create some surprise extra damage potential on your opponent's end step. I do wonder whether the creature half is a good fit for mono white. Both Nightmare Shepherd and Body Double come to mind as adjacent designs, and that might problematic, since this means this conceivably could work as a monocolor design.

*Mown - Trisanda, Heir to Extinction*
Mown - Trisanda, Heir to Extinction.png

Well, we have been talking about edict effects on the boards recently, and this is one heck of an example. There's no doubt in my mind that you started this design with the artwork, but I must say the mechanical execution given the art and the contest criteria is spectacular. For starters, the adventure half might be one of the most interesting white wrath effects we have seen in a while. Great call on making it a red token as well, despite the spell being white. Sometimes it's right to target yourself, sometimes it's a great way to set back your opponent to the stone age (or Dragon Age :p). The creature half being able to target any player is great design since it gives you options! Either edict your opponent but give them cards, or edict yourself with a Village Rites on a stick. Maybe you shouldn't be able to sac Trisanda herself, and I feel the black half should have an "If they do, they draw two cards and each opponent loses life ..." to make this playable on turn 3 if your opponent doesn't have a creature out (instead of giving them 2 cards for free or forcing you to sacrifice a creature yourself), but that sort of stuff is, again, easily sorted out in Development. Another great design!

*kModz - Contracted Pitlord*
kModz - Contracted Pitlord.png

Now this is a glow up I can get behind. Tombstalker probably doesn't need to cost one less mana and come with a self-enabling spell attached, but it sure fits the contest criteria really well! Though it garners you no extra points, I appreciate you put in the reminder text! It shows the simplicity and strength of the design. You don't need many words to create a convincing design!

*kModz - Timely Skycaller*
kModz - Timely Skycaller.png

Oooooh, nifty! A 4/3 flying for {1}{G}{W} is quite the rate. In all honesty, I think flying might be slightly too much of a reward to ever consider casting this on curve for {1}{W}, unless you had some other way of putting a counter on it. Of course, GW typically has plenty of ways to do that, even on curve (hi there Rishkar, Peema Renegade!), so who knows, maybe it is the correct play! Another subtle thing I like is that this isn't an auto cast adventure despite it being one mana, since you need to sequence it with a creature in the same turn. Another good design.

*kModz - Ashi, Usher of the Pale Moon*
kModz - Ashi, Usher of the Pale Moon.png

Another design that has a greater mana value on the adventure than on the creature. I like that! This is a great on curve creature too, so it's not at all unthinkable that it is right to sequence this out before the impactful but slightly expensive adventure half. Funnily enough, despite being two mana more, this is the cheapest this effect has ever been, because it only ever appeared on commons! :) With black getting more ways to deal with enchantments, it's not unthinkable that this creeps closer and closer to a design that's doable in mono black, but for now this is a fun and very playable design!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
*MilesOfficial - Impassioned Demon*
MilesOfficial - Impassioned Demon.png

The adventure half of this is really cool, I can see all sorts of shenanigans with this once you get to a certain amount of mana. Recasting multiple Mulldrifters, Benevolent Bodyguards, Dauntless Bodyguards, Dawntreader Elks, seems fun! The black half I get less. It's great with the adventure half, but on its own it feels more like a spell than a creature. I think the problem is the cost to let it live, because I have a hard time envisioning a situation where it is correct to sacrifice two creatures to keep a 2/3 in play. I think the card would have been a bit cleaner if it simply said: "then sacrifice a creature". It's also a bit weird that this gains 2 life, when most black card draw loses you life. I guess Reckoner's Bargain exists, but that requires another creature to cast, when Impassioned Demon can just be "draw two cards, you gain 2 life" for {2}{B} if you sacrifice the card itself. That feels off. I think it's a fun design, but it requires some vital tweaking to really shine.

*MilesOfficial - Dismissive Scholar*
MilesOfficial - Dismissive Scholar.png

I love the idea behind this design, but I have two major problems with it. First of all, this would be the first black one drop with 2 power without a downside, ever. This is really missing a "can't block", "enters the battlefield tapped", or life loss clause, I feel. Now maybe black is finally due its Savannah Lions (red has been getting them too lately, after all), but the second problem is way more troublesome. See, the execution you chose actually makes this a monocolored design. Discarding a card to return a creature to its owner's hand is, without a doubt, a blue mechanic. That means this design doesn't meet the contest criteria, and I'm forced to disqualify it. That's a shame, because it could easily be redesigned to something actually black, like "{B}, Discard a card: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped." I also really liked that your design opted to give you a real choice between curving out the creature and getting maximum value. It's a one drop that retains relevance in the late game as well, precisely because of the adventure. Great concept, but unfortunately it can't win.

*Zoss - Penitent Knight*
Zoss - Penitent Knight.png

You've got some really great entries from a flavor standpoint, Zoss. The art choice is great all around. Nice. As for Penitent Knight itself, I find it is a cute interaction, but I fear that the full package at 5 mana (where both sides get to interact) is a bit of a let down, because at that price point, a 2/3 vigilance, lifelink just isn't going to have a lot of impact. You might snipe a utility creature, if it doesn't have a tap ability, but it's too small to trade with a lot of targets at that point in the curve. I think this would be much better as a 3/1 or 3/2 of some kind, which we see pretty regularly in white nowadays. This makes trading it in for a goaded creature a little bit easier, plus it makes it a bit more attractive to play this in an aggressive deck, which could actually (ab)use the hidden secondary feature of goad: "target creature can't block next turn".

*Zoss - Mammon, the Greedy*
Zoss - Mammon, the Greedy.png

Oh, this is costed interestingly. I know, I said I wouldn't judge cards on being miscosted, but look at how cute this is. You can cast the adventure on turn 3 for X = 1 and cast Mammon on t4 off of the treasure, or you can cast Hoard for X = 2 on turn 4 to give everything -2/-2 on the next turn when Mammon hits. This might very well be waaay too strong, but I really like the interaction and the various breakpoints this design offers. Good job!

*Zoss - Defiant Conquerer*
Zoss - Defiant Conqueror.png

At first glance this is a lot of text for what looks like not that much of a benefit. It took me a moment to realize that giving it raid means you can also cast recast the adventure side. That's kind of funny. You basically get a spellcraft/prowess trigger in addition to the life leech (nibble?) each turn. At 4 mana (and in three colors), this does look like an end game strategy. In the end, though there's definitely more to this card than meets the eye, to me it looks more cute than good, and I think your other designs are more elegant.

*TrainmasterGT - Colossal Firemaw*
TrainmasterGT - Colossal Firemaw.png

Wildfire! Great synergy, obviously, between both halves, and with fetches in the mix, it's not unfathomable that you just want to drop that fat 6/6 trample on turn 4 instead of waiting for the Dreadfire. That said, I don't know that Wildire needs an upside, or at least not this much of an upside. I feel like you should be jumping through more hoops than "cast my adventure spell" to cast a 6/6 trample for two mana. At the same time, you can't really cost balance this effectively. If make the dino more expensive, it becomes uncastable unless you specifically run its adventure, because it's going to be one of the only ways in your deck that bins that many lands. Maybe you can make the body smaller, but it's a difficult spot. I feel it's a compelling but inherently problematic design, and it kind of takes away the fun of drafting around Wildfire because you just get the entire package in one.

*TrainmasterGT - Tulip Trader*
TrainmasterGT - Tulip Trader.png

I love it when you guys and girls make these cards break the curve. Tulip Trader is such a great, great one drop off of a fetch land, but you'ld also cast it on curve in an aggro deck as a simple 2/1 beatstick. Plentiful Harvest stands on its own legs as well. It's like Crop Rotation and Sylvan Scrying had a baby, and I'm here for it! Lovely little package, this card, and really strong without being stupid broken. Well done!

*TrainmasterGT - Karpantolon, Sponge Sultan*
TrainmasterGT - Karpantolon, Sponge Sultan.png

And we're back to the on curve adventures. This design, though certainly a good card, is a bit too on the nose for my taste. What you see is what you get, and unlike your other two entries, it doesn't ignite any draft ideas in my head. A boring comment to end on, for which I am sorry, but this is the entire reason why I let people create three entries. It's hard to gauge what tickles someone else's fancy, and while I love Tulip Trader, someone else might go bananas for Karpantalon (and I don't mean for just its art ;) ).

*The Suspense*
That wraps up my comments. Next step, to pick a winner! I'm going to leave you hanging for one more night, because it got right late over here, and I've got to go to work tomorrow. I'll not let the clock creep up to me on Monday, so you can finally find out who takes it all. Well, takes it half, really, since it's either the fame or the fortune :D See you tomorrow!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
*The Final Verdict*
Maybe you've been guessing along, since I posted my thoughts on each entry yesterday, or maybe you haven't. Maybe you still can! Who do you think made the final three? I'll pause, briefly, while you ponder the options...

There were many, many cool designs, but my favorite three designs out of all of them were Jinx Merchant by blacksmithy, Valley of Tides by Mown, and Tulip Trader by Train. Props and thank you, though, to everyone for sacrificing some of your time to create all these wonderful cards! Only one of you can win though, so here we go...

TrainmasterGT - Tulip Trader.png

First to miss out on the big prize is Train's excellent Tulip Trader. I absolutely adore the creature side of this, such a great effect on a red one drop! I suspect, however, that while the synergy between both parts is obviously there, Tulip Trader and Plentiful Harvest wouldn't often end up in the same deck if they were seperate cards. I think some variation of Grapple with the Past as the adventure instead would have worked a bit better, but I wouldn't even have thought of that design if you hadn't come up with Tulip Trader first and made me ask myself what other ways green has to get lands in the graveyard. Again, great design, worthy of an honorable mention!

PS No bonus points for the snazzy set symbol, but it is definitely worth a special mention! :D

blacksmithy - Jinx Merchant.png

Obviously this spoils the winner as well, but I wanted to highlight how great of a first entry this was to the contest. You set the bar really high blacksmithy, not only with the Jinx Merchant, but also with Bedazzled Buccaneer! In the end I went with this one, as I adore the slightly simpler execution. The Buccaneer is filled to the brim with ability words, with not enough room to even fit all the required reminder text to make it understandable to less enfranchised players. Jinx Merchant, though, makes use of one staple token type, and another that's easily grokkable. I love all the sequencing tricks this one allows for. Maybe some numbers need to be tweaked, but in the end, it's an extremely satisfying package! Congrats on second place!

Mown - Valley of Tides.png

From your cheeky 'I cannot resist the technicalities' to your gorgeous design, I knew this would be very, very hard to beat once I beheld Valley of Tides. This does, in fact, meet the criteria of the contest from my point of view, which, let's be honest, is the only point of view that matters ;) It appears I was so smitten with this design, that I didn't even finish my original commentary on it! While I would personally tweak some effects on this card, mainly having it enter the battlefield untapped only if you play it from exile, that does nothing to diminish the idea behind this design. Top marks, and a very well deserved win Mown! The choice now lies in your hands, money or fame, fame or money, what will you pick?!

Thanks to everyone again for your submissions. With this level of participation I hope there will be another contest, and I hope it draws as many cool designs as this one! Peace!