General Custom Cards: The Lab

Taking a stab at the templating... I'd change it to: "If you do, search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that creature" and put it into your hand."
Unless by "spell" you meant "instant or sorcery" but I'm pretty sure I'm guessing your intent right with the above.
Yeah, that was the intent, I guess I indicated "spell" in order to exclude lands, but it probably doesn't matter. I the I've got the wrong effect here anyway. I'll correct and post back, thanks!

Laz

Developer
Just borrow the transmute wording:
"Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that creature, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library."

Also, that isn't how you spell Flying.

Cool card that is way less complicated than the volume of text on it suggests. You can probably cut the text volume by skipping the keyword, making it something like:
~ enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from ~ to it, if you do, you may pay U... GYAH! you may, if you do, you may, if you do... that is horrible. Lets try again.

Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may pay U, if you do move a +1/+1 counter from ~ to it, then search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that creature, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

I am not sure how that interacts with static P/T modifying effects that could let the creature live with 0 counters.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Just borrow the transmute wording:
"Search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that creature, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your library."

Also, that isn't how you spell Flying.

Cool card that is way less complicated than the volume of text on it suggests. You can probably cut the text volume by skipping the keyword, making it something like:
~ enters the battlefield with two +1/+1 counters on it.
Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may move a +1/+1 counter from ~ to it, if you do, you may pay U... GYAH! you may, if you do, you may, if you do... that is horrible. Lets try again.

Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, you may pay U, if you do move a +1/+1 counter from ~ to it, then search your library for a card with the same converted mana cost as that creature, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.

I am not sure how that interacts with static P/T modifying effects that could let the creature live with 0 counters.

This sounds much better

I don't care how good tutoring is, this dude requires too many hoops for too fragile a body. Make it ETB with 3 counters instead. At least then this strange blue take on Mentor of the Meek can pretend to be a cooler Concentrate.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but it IS asking you to do quite a bit as far as deck building goes.

1) Have a good number of creatures.

2) Draw this dude.

3) Keep this dude alive long enough to play another dude.

4) Play other dude, pay an extra U mana for it.

5) Have a card of the SAME CMC in your deck to search out.

Come to think of it, just makes this thing able to search out anything equal to OR less than the other creature's CMC. Now we have a cool Hill Giant body with a reasonable ability. Sound good?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Or you could do (which would radically change the card, but not the intent, I think, and it would certainly be less convoluted):

Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may sacrifice AEther Djinn. If you do, search your library for an instant or sorcery card with converted casting cost equal to or lower than that creature's converted casting cost and exile it, then shuffle your library. You may cast that spell without paying its mana cost.

Or you could do (which would radically change the card, but not the intent, I think, and it would certainly be less convoluted):

Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may sacrifice AEther Djinn. If you do, search your library for an instant or sorcery card with converted casting cost equal to or lower than that creature's converted casting cost and exile it, then shuffle your library. You may cast that spell without paying its mana cost.
I like this. And to keep it closer to the proposed you could just give it Undying or Persist

Hah! based on the arguments provided, this may just be a miss. I guess I was looking for sort of graft lord that imbues the recipient creature with some value add. Obviously there is more relevant to have +1/+1 counters than Wish counters ala Djinn of Wishes. I really find the Graft mechanic interesting. I like the suggestions, here, but maybe I should just turn this ship around
This is conceptual, would like to hear how to balance this correctly, the intended purpose should be clearer: Blink ETB Djinn enabler with "Returning to the Lamp flavor". May have to remove an ability or add a downside (maybe Graft 2 so you have to work more)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hmmmm. I like the abzan falconer text (He's great btw).

Small problems:
-I think the flavor text works better as just an unquoted statement (Also Technically it's a quote from Genie of the Lamp :p)
-Graft is an ability with a LOT of reminder text, and one where that text is mostly necessary since it's an unplayed mechanic from the 3rd set of a block...
-The Self Bounce is okay, but a REEEEEEEELLY slow way to put counters on things
-There's not much available to re-use if you want this guy to be a crystal shard expy, since most 187s or the like don't have counters on them (I'm seeing Spike Cannibal and Foe Razer Regent). Unless you graft them on, but then this card is slower than lux cannon at getting value and I fell asleep just imagining that sequence of plays.
-When's the last time you played a 5 mana 3/3 flier in cube?
-All this and he's mythic? o_O He does not look mythic

I think you're restricting yourself a bit too much, you're trying to make sure that the card you make jumps through enough hoops to do what it does because people will call it broken otherwise...
WE'RE PLAYING WITH CRYPTIC COMMAND HERE. Nobody cares :p
Juice the fuck out of it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
One word of warning though, juice it up any way you want, but self-bouncing often leads to repetitive game patterns, which a lot of players find unfun. Just saying.

Combining graft and +1/+1 counter lords though. Bliss!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Opposing Force {2}{U}{U}
Creature - Elemental
Graft 4
Creatures you control with a +1/+1 counter on it have "{T}: Tap target artifact, creature, or land."
0/0

Yep, Opposition as a 4/4 sounds fine, right? Right?

Opposing Force {2}{U}{U}
Creature - Elemental
Graft 4
Creatures you control with a +1/+1 counter on it have "{T}: Tap target artifact, creature, or land."
0/0

Yep, Opposition as a 4/4 sounds fine, right? Right?
shouldn't it be green?
24uw57p.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
New Nissa got me thinking, there's loads of design space in her etb ability that really tickles my fancy. Green is supposed to be the best at ramp, but really it just is the best at facilitating four- or five-color good stuff. We use mana rocks, which encroach on green's territory by giving every color access to ramp. What if we'ld restrict ramp to green, but make it mono green ramp with a "minor" upside, rather than color fixing? I'm seriously considering cutting most of the mana rocks and the traditional green ramp in favor of some of these. What do you think?

Green Non-Fixing Ramp

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Scry 2.

{1}{G}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your precombat main phase, choose one —
* Add {G} to your mana pool.
* Gain 2 life

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Reveal the top four cards of your library. You may put a land card from among them onto the battlefield tapped. Put the rest into your graveyard.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, put up to two land cards from among the revealed cards onto the battlefield tapped instead of one.

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, untap up to three lands.

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Choose one —
* Search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
* Destroy target artifact or enchantment.

{1}{G}
Enchantment
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target creature you control gets +1/+1 and gains trample until end of turn.

{1}{G}
Artifact
{T}: Add {G} to your mana pool.
{G}, sacrifice CARDNAME: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Scry 2.
like it

{1}{G}
Enchantment
At the beginning of your first main phase, choose one —
* Add {G} to your mana pool.
* Gain 2 life
too much life gain? And first main phase only kinda sucks...

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Reveal the top four cards of your library. You may put a land card from among them onto the battlefield tapped. Put the rest into your graveyard.
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, put up to two land cards from among the revealed cards onto the battlefield tapped instead of one.
Don't like it much. Idk

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Spell mastery — If there are two or more instant and/or sorcery cards in your graveyard, untap up to three lands.
Love it

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Choose one —
* Search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
* Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
Like it

{1}{G}
Enchantment
When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, target creature you control gets +1/+1 and gains trample until end of turn.
Love it Love it. Too good?

{1}{G}
Artifact
{G}, sacrifice CARDNAME: Reveal cards from the top of your library until you reveal a creature card. Put that card into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Love it

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
More options!

{1}{G}
Creature
Sacrifice CARDNAME: Search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
2/1

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Search your library for a card with the same name as target land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

{1}{G}
Creature
{T}: Gain 2 life.
1/1

{1}{G}
Sorcery
You gain 3 life.

{1}{G}
Creature
Vanishing 1
When CARDNAME dies, search your library for a basic Forest card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
2/4

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Ferocious — Search your library for a land card instead if you control a creature with power 4 or greater.

{1}{G}
Sorcery
Search your library for a card with the same name as target land card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.

"land card you control"?

The Pia and Kiran and Whirler Rogue cycle needs "completed"

Black Artificer 2BB
Creature - Human Artificer
When Critter enters the battlefield, put two 1/1 colorless Thopter artifact creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield.
Sacrifice an artifact: Put a -1/-1 counter on target creature.
2/2

(now somebody go find art and name it so I can test it)