[dbs's Mox Cube Seat A] Brad - :pogchimp:

Super lost on the power level. So much higher than mine. Wanted to do something broken and the Shop didn't look too supported here, so I'm going for storm. Took Typhoon over Frantic Search because I was more scared to be light on pay offs than light on enablers, based on these 50 cards. Dig over Petal because my two pay offs so far don't work with Petal and Typhoon->Dig is sick.

Brutality is a great pick overall and also defends my own plan by not letting someone else get it. Sea over Brainstorm because perfect dual seems better than a likely replaceable cantrip. Wurmcoil because my "storm" plan kind of looks to be spell spam midrange and this looks great to ramp into. Delta as more great fixing over Forager. It's my perfect fetch-dual, so I'll take them. Last pack is tough. Sai gets me on the board with artifacts and pairs with Sedgemoor vs Hangarback is kind of awesome if I storm up some mana AND I know I passed a Workshop. Went with Sai because he seems to have higher spam potential.

Was nervous blue had been cut. I'll take the red splash land as a kind of safety pick. Then there's three great draw spells and the very tricky Remand as a counter or storm generator. Mirari Conjecture looked cool but seems likely pretty slow, even if it's cheated out.

Alright. I see almost no blue in these packs. Time to make use of the Badlands from earlier. I'm moving into a Grixis token midrange thing, I guess. The mana is strong, at least. Maybe next pack will give me more to do. I don't love that I took mostly 4 drops here.

No blue unless I want to play Standstill, which I suuuper don't. God, how is Cradle still here? Do I take it for token spam? Fuck it, let's go! Bolt is a nice removal spell, cheap storm+, and reach. Guttersnipe looked so good a couple packs ago... Gotta take the Push. Same with Frenzy, which isn't getting taken vs the more reliable Damn. Finally, Ancient Tomb looks better than Song for the midrange plan.

Did I misdraft the hell out of this? Is it the nature of rectangle draft? Is it that I got cut from my plan? These packs all look pretty poor to me. Took Phyrexian over Scrubland, although I doubt I'll play either. I can imagine wanting to retrieve something more than I expect a late W splash. The 5 cards in the next pack all feel pretty narrow. Guess I'll take the difficult to cast Kiki. Jet over Dismember for possible Citadel interaction, plus I'm worried about my life with Ancient Tomb. Panharm could do some stuff here, but the cards in this pack look rather narrow, as well. Riders over Past in Flames, which also looks very narrow, as I think i'm much more into the midrange plan plus it can ETB with Kiki and Panharm. This pack especially felt like I'm staring at a bunch of cards meant for specific decks but I can't even consider them as picks because I'm not in those decks.

Been a while...

Happy to blink the Redcap and have a couple sticky bodies for Opposition. Pack 3 and 5 were kinda empty. Can't believe no one took Entomb Griselbrand.

Electromancer might still work. Hate out a couple sweepers. Niv is not likely. Helix also not likely.

Took bodies and storm-y stuff. Hate out clasm.

I'm maybe playing 2 of these last picks. Nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbs

The basics could totally be wrong, I basically guessed. Double check that if you play it.
Ok, I can't get the deck to show up. Just quote it and copy the list or edit my post and tell me what to do to fix it?
KIRB EDIT: Fixed the decklist for you.

I'm gonna be honest. I really didn't enjoy this draft. Whether that reflects on the packs, the other drafter's decisions, my own decisions, or the cube's design, I'm unsure, but I'm gonna put my honest opinion here for @dbs.

Pack 1: Shop immediately stands out to me, but there's no other artifacts that are worth a damn with a Shop, so I discard it. I see Yawg Will, Pentad Prism, Misstep, Force, Wheel of Fortune, Cabal Rit, Frantic Search, Shark Typhoon, Lotus Petal, Flusterstorm. These all suggest to me that the format is fast, supports storm, and storm is strong enough that we need Misstep/Force/Flusterstorm tier counterspells to control the storm. So I start in on a fairly conservative 5 storm cards because I do fear storm's volatility.

Pack 2: I'm not seeing what I envisioned as the storm deck I'd be getting based on pack 1, going into the cube blind. I'm not personally interested in Brain Freeze, as it's dead with a low storm count and this pack isn't showing me I can get there. But that's ok, I thought, it must just be a dry storm pack, I'll take some lands that I want anyways.

Pack 3: I'm really regretting not taking that lonely Shop from pack 1, but 50 cards were showing me it wasn't well supported. Maybe that's just the pack's doing. The first 8 cards show no blue and I get nervous, but the next 4 sets of cards show blue and I feel like I'm ok. I also feel like I picked up some classical storm cards.

Pack 4: Blue's gone. Again, could be the packs, could be the draft, could be blue's allure in the format. I'm giving up on my original plan already and take a Cradle as the best raw card along with some fairly conservative/safe picks.

Pack 5: Card by card: Set 1: I'm not W, I'm not the sac deck or creature heavy green, I'm not RG or looking for Shatter, I'm not WB, I'm not particularly trying to loop anything: I'm not happy. Set 2: I'm not Kiki combo and fear RRR cost, I'm not G, I'm not reanimator or other yard shenanigans, I don't hate my life, I'm not +1/+1. Again, nearly blank. Set 3: Nice removal, I'm not mill or yard shenanigans, nice generic W card, IDK what deck wants this, and nice removal. A more generic set of cards and that's relieving. Set 4: I'm not blink but can pair with the slightly playable Kiki, I'm not a goblin deck, I'm not dying to retrieve something as a -1, Finks and Anafenza are nice if I were Wx, but I'm not here. Nothing for me. Set 5: Narrow card, 2c card, decent green beater with high ceiling that I like, weird card that's kind of unfun to the opponent, aggro card. Not a lot there, either.

Pack 6: Set 1 is pretty generic stuff which I like because I'm able to make a good pick and would have been happy in Wx as well. Set 2: Ok, these are all amazing cards. Why are they still here? Is no one UR? Is no one using equipments? Is no one a graveyard deck even with Griselbrand in the same pack? Is no one planning to win by attacking? I might look into how these cards are left over because damn they're all huge additions to the right decks. What was taken instead? Set 3: I have nothing cute to pair with any of these and I can't afford another colorless land, so it's all kind of bad. Set 4: Why was no one interested in Oath? Seems like a bomb. Does Pyroblast's inclusion confirm my suspicion that U is very strong here? Last two cards seem not generic but not narrow, either, so I'm glad to see those and was glad to take 1. Set 5: Again, I'm not in any of these 4 fairly specific decks, so I have nothing to take. Storm/Artifacts/RG/SunCombo/Weenie are the specific decks I see for these cards. RG is less specific, but it's still narrow due to being a 2C card.

Pack 7: Set 1: Mono black? UR? Vial was somehow ignored. Set 2: Wrath is good. I'd be interested if Enlightened sees a lot of play, as it's a narrow -1. Mono red? Set 3: These 3 are all good, but I wonder if Loam is too slow outside a Wasteland lock, based on what I've seen. Set 4: 2c, 2c, aggro card. All narrow. Set 5: What's the Helix trick? 2c. Premier sac outlet is strong but a little narrow.

Pack 8: All sets, in order: Not a pod deck but pod's great, nice ETB/sac guy, narrow artifacts, narrow artifacts, cantrip, decent hitter with an added upside, really strong aggro hate, narrow yarder, narrow payoff, narrow and hard to use.

Pack 9: Nothing really left by now.

As you can see, for the cards I was offered, I wasn't in those decks and couldn't take them. I have no idea if this is typical, but that's how it went for me. There's a ton of stuff that feels like it only goes into one or two possible decks and isn't very good in the other decks. I felt like there was nothing to pick and my final deck ran into an issue of needing to add cards. I'm almost always over on card count and looking to cut cards when deck building. From the middle of the draft it felt like I was making end-of-pack picks because I was locked out of a pretty large percentage of the cards.

Last edited by a moderator: