Decision cube (360 lower powered)

I’ve been kicking around with the idea of a ‘decision’ cube for a while. I wanted to make something where the theme of the cube was cards that forced players to make decisions when they played, hopefully creating a highly skilled environment where right and wrong decisions would affect how a game played out. I’ve tried to think about how cards would play out – some cards look like they present a decision to the player, but 9 times out of 10 there’s only one way to use it, the cube should be about making *meaningful* decisions.

So for a while I’ve just been chucking cards into a cubetutor list, without balancing or giving consideration for how the cube would play out, kind of an index of relevant cards. You can see the list here

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/1147

It'll give you an idea of the types of cards I’ve been considering. Now I’d like to try to put a proper list together – you can see my initial incomplete draft in the link below

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/24318

A lot of the cards that I want to use are clearly going to be lower power, so that will dictate the power level of the cube. Even though it’s lower power there’s a tendency to still end up with a lot of ‘good stuff’ cards – particularly things like charms and commands which although will provide you with choices when you play them, don’t contribute much to the drafting or deck building experience. So I’d like to try build in some themes into the cube to support this, and try to reduce (but not completely eliminate) some of the generic, independently good stuff (or at least tie it to a theme). So here’s where I’m at with some of the themes/principles/groups of cards:

Tribute

These give you a pretty good idea about the kind of power level that I’m aiming for, though I think unless you’re power maxing then it’s pretty hard to get a relatively flat structure. I know most people think they are bad, but some of the cards (these ones at least) are pretty cool and my hypothesis is that if you can construct your environment well you can make them be meaningful decisions. They clearly all have in common putting +1/+1 counters on them if you pay tribute. This makes them bigger and more of a threat but what if you also have other uses for the counters, making the decision on whether to pay tribute or not more tricky?

+1/+1 Counters

There are a lot of cards that either use or care about +1/+1 counters in my draft list. To be honest, my gut feel is that there’s probably too many – it feels a bit unsubtle and unsophisticated and I’ll probably need to prune some in this area. I’ve tried to spread this them across all colours and to try and make it open ended. These add quite a lot of complexity into board states, which adds to some of the decision making capacity but I’m aware that this might contribute to a bit of analysis paralysis, but is probably something that I’ll need to get a feel for when I take it for a test run. There are quite a few proliferate cards thrown in as well to supplement this.

Morph

I like the idea of having multiple morph cards as a mini theme in a decision cube. I think it fits the power level of the cube and it warps the format around it them a bit, making it slower and shaping decisions on which other cards to include. Megamorph overlaps with the +1/+1 counter theme a little too. Manifest is here to compliment it too (and there are a few top of the library overlap cards with the miracles).

I wanted to try not just to have morphs as stand alone good cards so looked to see what themes I could pick out from them (if any)! Black has a couple of sacrifice themed cards, red around difficult to block creatures of those that want to connect with the opponent, green has some overlap with the x-spells theme. White and blue were a bit of a struggle to pick anything out but I think I'm probably okay with this.

I need to have a check towards the end of the cube development to make sure I have a decent number of high toughness creatures that can hold off early attackers (including morphs) to give morphs time to develop. Probably look to have a few cheap combat tricks to make things not too straightforward on the battlefield.

I've got a few bounce and self bounce spells to recur the morph creatures too.

X-spells

I thought that x spells would add an interesting dynamic, around players making a decision over how long to hold out until they played their spell and how much advantage they could get from this. Ideally I'd want each colour to have a couple of options to choose from.

There are a few artifact ramp cards to support the theme that also get you to choose how long you build them up for, and also the timespiral charge lands. Green has some big ramp cards too.

Cycling/scry etc

These are great for giving players choices on when/how to use them and I'll probably run through at the end to make sure there are enough options in each colour to help things run smoothly.

I'll have some specific questions for you soon but just wanted to throw this out here now. First question though - do you have any suggestions for themes and synergies I could add based on the cards in the draft list?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think kicker would be great here. Especially the ones that might lure you into waiting for the extra mana to cast the spell at full value, whereas it's often correct to cast the barebones version. A prime example for your cube would be Kavu Titan.

In a world of morphs, the baseline 2/2 for two is great, but that 5/5 is so tempting. Oh, and it interacts with +1/+1 counters as well :)

I'm also missing charms, though that might be on purpose. The Swiss army knife kind of choices usually guide themselves towards a certain mode, depending on the game state. Maybe they don't exemplify meaningful decisions as much as they do versatility.

Regular morph (especially in KTK) isn't much of a decision - like a typical Charm, it's pretty clear when you're looking at the board whether you'd rather pay for your creature in installments, or pay one flat fee.

Megamorph is great though, no matter how much mana you have, there are good reasons to wait for the bigger creature, and good reasons to slap it down vanilla and get it moving.

Cards that say choose two tend to be a little less cut and dried than the Choose One charms, ymmv.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thats really smart running the tribute guys alongside the outlast cards that give bonuses for +1 +1 counters: it actually makes tribute much more interesting. It seems like you have an easy midrangy G/W punisher type deck, and you could even layer that with some heroic creatures.

Those outlast cards have been such a great addition for cube--its like there is now is a +1 +1 counter tribe, with them functioning as lords.

I think kicker would be great here. Especially the ones that might lure you into waiting for the extra mana to cast the spell at full value, whereas it's often correct to cast the barebones version. A prime example for your cube would be Kavu Titan.

In a world of morphs, the baseline 2/2 for two is great, but that 5/5 is so tempting. Oh, and it interacts with +1/+1 counters as well :)

I'm also missing charms, though that might be on purpose. The Swiss army knife kind of choices usually guide themselves towards a certain mode, depending on the game state. Maybe they don't exemplify meaningful decisions as much as they do versatility.

Thanks, kicker has been something I've been using but not consciously picking. Kavu Titania a good suggestion. Other kicker things that look interesting that might be worth considering

It's amazing how many kicker spells are awful in the unkicked mode.

I'll think about these for hole filling towards the end I think. Other than some counter themed stuff it all a bit generic good stuff at the moment, though I do like the idea of kavu Titan a lot.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The Battlemages are pretty good in a morph cube! Other interesting kicker spells (keeping in mind the morph cube):

Thanks for this. I did run through gatherer early this morning for my fairly uninspiring grudging selection above, I don't know why I was so curmudgeonly about my selection, just early I guess! I've added kavu Titan and kor aeronaut, gonna have to have a near end review of the mana curve. I'm mulling over some of your other suggestions above to get a feel for where I want to go.

I'm trying not to focus too heavily on two damage removal as morphs are not the only creatures on the cube, but there is some cool stuff here. One of the other things I'm conscious of is not having too many three drops as they compete with morph. Things I particularly like for this cube from your list above

sunscape battlemage
Urborg emissary
Thunderscape battlemage
Primal growth
Thornscape battlemage
Pincer spider
Oran-rief recluse

Anything I've not listed that people feel particularly strongly about?

The choice between the two spiders is interesting. Pincer spider can kill morphs and live plus has synergy with counters. The recluse can outright kill something and is perhaps more of a decision to hold it back as an expensive plummet. Thoughts?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Rushing River is way more awesome than you'ld realize on face value. I probably have to add that to my cube myself to be honest :)

The spider dilemma hinges on the number of large flyers in your cube I think. Pincer Spider is a better creature most of the time is my guess. It played really well back in limited back in the day as well, as a 3/4 was a pretty decent topdeck.

Rushing river does look really good, I wonder if its too good here? Maybe not. I am kind of wedded to force away and voyages end due to the scry and selection and peel from reality for the self bounce theme. I'll see how I get on, but thanks.

Thanks Meltyman for your suggestions, some interesting things there for me to think about.

I've succumbed to the battlemages and added sunscape, thornscape and thunder scape. As sunscape destroys flyers I've gone with pincer spider.

With all these kicker guys and morph triggers I've been looking at ways to recur creatures for advantage. I've added

I think this should be interesting. It compliments

And blues other more general bounce spells.

This leaves black and red a bit left out. For black I thought about gravedigger effects. I already have entomber exarch but then I remembered Laz adding

This seems amazing here.

On recursion for black, I also already have palace siege which is pretty powerful here I think. And also golgari guildmage. how much is too much? Any views on the following

With all the bouncing going on, I think the extort might be good and I don't have anything lined up for orzhov yet.

Easy to kill, which I don't mind, and semblance of decision making, deciding which card to discard.

I have a soft spot for this guy but already quite a lot of high curve green, so probably no.

I like clash in this cube as there's a decision on whether to keep the card or move to the bottom, potentially making things move more interestingly.

Can be removed before use, and there's good decisions on when to blow it and on what.

This seems quite powerful and links with the mini sacrifice theme, but I already have golgari guildmage which does something similar.

Maybe I should just push the boat out and add

But I worry that it might be too powerful. It does so much here though.

One of the cool things about building this cube is finding cool cards that fit the themes or synergies in the cube. Here are a few recent ones that I've added in, which I'm quite excited about:

I'm hoping the lens will cause some difficult blocking decisions, especially when combined with unmorphed creatures, especially the saboteurs.

Inferno fist helps make things aggressive, you have a decision when to use it and two is a good damage number re morphs.

War-torch is an aggro creature without too much hit so games hopefully lat a bit longer and cause tough blocking.

Sidisi's faithful does a lot. Do you make it early to block? Sac something else? Sac itself? Bounce it later with dream prowler and then bounce something of theirs? A lot of options for a one drop.

Any other suggestions at the moment?

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/24318

There's quite a lot of complexity in the cube, I'm not sure insanely complex is where I want to be :) good suggestion though, I will give it some thought.

I want to give black some more higher toughness blockers higher up the curve. Any thoughts or suggestions around the following?