General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh thats the WoW Shaman Caster DPS Rotation, not DND.
For Eg: http://www.icy-veins.com/wow/elemental-shaman-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

Do people talk about DPS in roleplaying games? Aren't most combat systems in rounds anyways?

Conveniently, in D&D the optimizers talk about DPR, Damage Per Round. There's a DPR Kings thread that lists the most effective nova burst builds (i.e. the most damage in one turn). Not that those characters are fun to play for more than one session, as they thoroughly ruin all the fun for the other players (not to mention the DM) at the table.

Conveniently, in D&D the optimizers talk about DPR, Damage Per Round. There's a DPR Kings thread that lists the most effective nova burst builds (i.e. the most damage in one turn). Not that those characters are fun to play for more than one session, as they thoroughly ruin all the fun for the other players (not to mention the DM) at the table.
Yeah I used to occasionally indulge in making weirdly optimized characters at different levels. 4th edition was very gamey and lent itself to the sort of thing chris is talking about doing in wow like sequencing etc. 3rd edition was a little... different, things were a little more nebulous. Man this is really making me want to 1) play some neverwinter nights 2) make a bunch of 1st or 2nd level 4th edition characters.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, 4th edition is kinda broken. Games really start to unravel a bit once you hit paragon tier with a party of more than 4 players. One combat a day sessions are a lost cause because of daily powers, so you really have to chain your encounters. I wouldn't miss the myriad of statuses either, monsters and players alike end up with a tower of colored rings over here. "What's up with that guy?" "Oh, he's blinded, dazed, has ongoing damage 5 fire and ongoing damage 10 lightning, and he's slowed, marked and cursed." Good luck remembering that shit. I'm curious what 5th edition will bring. The Player's Handbook is underway as we speak.

I have the PDF for the rulebook open as we speak! It looks kinda neat, definitely closer to third, but the skill checks seem sorta simplified and much more things are on a "save" system. I'm just beginning to familiarize myself. I'm a little dubious because classes all have a standard "proficiency bonus" progression that applies to weapon attacks, skills etc, and I haven't really figured out the nuance yet but it seems like clerics will be hitting as often as barbarians will, which seems kinda dumb to me because some classes get spell casting or incredible skill packages etc and what does your fighting guy get? Proficiency? HP? A Rage?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well, 4th edition, for all its flaws, had a few great improvements over 3.5, one of them being mostly equalizing attack bonuses. I've read up a tiny bit on 5th edition, and it seems like they now have toned down attack bonus progression, so that the +1 to attack I assume the fighter still gets will have more than enough impact. It doesn't need to be twice as much as the wizard. Other things I really liked in 4.0 that are coming back in one way or another are healing surges and at-will attack powers for spellcasters. I also really liked the minor action healing on all the leader classes, but I don't know if that is making a return. I playtested one session pretty early on where the cleric had to use his standard action to heal a party member. Lame!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Spoony did a review of the new ruleset on his website (Spoonyexperiment.com)

It looks interesting. He has a gripe with the advantage system, and I see where he's coming from, it does look like it could lead to a lot of pedantic arguments.

(The system is if you are at an advantage, you roll 2 D20 and keep the higher. Disadvantage? 2 D20 and keep the lower. Even footed is no bonus)

He also mentions it's a system with no granularity: A guy with the sun in his eyes trying to kick you and a guy with 2 broken legs trying to kick you offer the same penalty, for eg

Don't we have a DND thread?
Yeah jeeze lucas this isn't a forum!

@Onderzeeboot and Chris if you wana PM me your emails I can see if I can email my copy of the pdf to ya. It's pretty cute all in all. I really dig that they give you a bunch of cultural presets to diversify the races (with different characteristic bonuses too) and I like the funny super-tacked-on super SJW addressing of equality, diversity and lifestyle choices for characters / factions. As if dnd players hadn't been making good drow or gay dwarves for ages.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
And I've got a hardcover PHB looking to find me by mail (go Amazon/UPS/TNT!) that I'm just itching to read on the couch with a cup of something as if it were a good book. Don't want to spoil that with a PDF, though thanks for the offer :)

Laz

Developer
Deck from last night's draft. I felt the need to show it, just because infinite anything is pretty awesome.

Struggled a bit against the 4-Wrath Esper deck, and dropped a game to fast-aggro, but arbitrarily large numbers of Golems got there (except when they didn't and blinking Thragtusk and Geralf's Messenger had to do, and that one time it actually had access to Falkenrath Noble).

Junk Combo Pod

For those who can't be bothered working it out:
Sac. outlet + Reveillark + Karmic Guide + Blade Splicer OR Falkenrath Noble

The draft went exceptionally, as the mana base probably shows. I think there were something like 3 extra creatures drafted that weren't played, none of which were notable sideboard material.
'Tech'-iest play of the evening: Swing Treetop Village at opponent, then second main phase, pod it away for a Carrion Feeder, then sacrifice everything with Falkenrath Noble out for exactly lethal.

Anotak, where's your cube list?

Laz, how good is the falkenrath noble? Obv good as it won you that game but always felt a bit clunky. Eric, I think you've had/have it too?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, it's been in here for a while actually, but I haven't seen it hit play yet. Part of the reason is that I depowered the black sac archetype, after it pulled off a couple of wins a few weeks in a row, in the hands of various pilots. Since I went down to two Gravecrawlers and a single Blood Artist, the deck's become less appealing to draft, so a lot of the narrower sac-friendly cards have started wheeling. I'm trying to bring its power level back up to a happy medium, so I'll see if I can weigh in on Falkenrath Noble soon.

I can offer that double Blood Artist was really good in my environment, though.