Design Diary: Cooperative Deckbuilder

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I feel like maybe the game shouldn't be cooperative.
Wasn't that what people liked about your game though? The puzzle of which cards to pass to reach a common goal? Removing the cooperative part might be a path worth exploring, but it will probably change the dynamics of the game quite drastically.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Wasn't that what people liked about your game though? The puzzle of which cards to pass to reach a common goal? Removing the cooperative part might be a path worth exploring, but it will probably change the dynamics of the game quite drastically.
I've been kind of procrastinating responding to this.

I think the game works two player. It's functional, but not sensational (in my opinion).

The problem really rears itself when you have more than two players. Take a simple card that says "Pass a card." You need to:
- survey what the other players at the table need
- consider what your current bottlenecks are also
- pick a card to pass and a player to pass it to

It's a lot of mental load, combined with the fact that the turns are happening simultaneously. Each player has their decision tree, and these trees are intertwined, and all of a sudden you've got this knotty mess of 3- or 4-pairs of wired earbuds you're pulling out of your pocket.

The highs of finding a great line were nice, but only really happened in a 2-player setting. Beyond that it was kind of a headache.

I think your musings from June 29th (where you were considering focusing on container passing) might be something to test, instead of essentially scrapping a good portion of your design. It even makes intuitive sense - instead of just tossing feathers and frogs and stuff at people, you're sticking them in a box and handing them over.