Designing my own custom Core Set Draft Sim

No list at the moment, but I want to get my initial thinking in writing to use as a reference and get feedback.

My overarching goal is to build something that can work as a teaching tool for limited play while hopefully still be interesting enough to provide satisfying games to me and other veteran players. Let's jump right into my current design framework:

1. Numbers breakdown

• Overall equivalent to a 504 card cube, so it can fire two 6-person drafts with 14 card packs back-to-back
  • 108 commons (three of each for 324 total)
  • 108 uncommons
  • 36+ rares (1 in each pack using a sticker on the perfect fit to find them between drafts)
  • 36+ old frame cards (also 1 per pack, similar to Timeshifted or DFC cards from TSP or INN block respectively)
I probably won't seed a specific number of uncommons per pack, which means there will be some unbalance there, but I figure seeding the rares and old frame cards is enough as-is.

The "rares" can pull from any actual rares or mythics. I'm not making a distinction between them here since I'm not trying to sell packs. Similarly, the commons and uncommons might have other printed rarities as long as they fit what I need for this set.

My hope is that the rotation of rares from a larger pool will help keep drafts and games fresh even after players become familiar with the foundation of commons and uncommons.

2. Other design goals
  • To restate what might be obvious, the core of the cube will all use the modern (8th edition onward) card frame
  • Commons and uncommons limited to a handful of non-evergreen mechanics (2-5?)
  • Rares and old frame cards can go hog wild
  • The majority of all cards should all have top-down or resonant flavor to match their mechanics
  • The small minority ~10% of the not explicitly top-down cards should fill in needed gaps in archetypes or mana curves
  • Depending on how deep I go, I may design a few custom cards or redevelop existing ones to fill in gaps or maintain play balance
My plan is to steal liberally from the more recent core sets (M10 onward), Innistrad, Amonkhet, and Ixalan as they all have lots of cool resonant cards.

Thanks for your interest! Our family had a baby in May, so my time for Magic, even just armchair cube design, has taken a back seat for the moment.

I'll let you know if/when this project ever sees completion.