General Do You Not Update?! A poll to discuss static cubes

Who has 1+ cubes (or cube-like lists) that are not updated but still being played/enjoyed?

• I have at least 1 "cube" that is never updated (and at least one is *not* a set "cube")

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I have at least 1 "cube" that is never updated (only including set "cube"s)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • All of my "cube"s get updated at some frequency, but I hope to stop eventually (and still play)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • All of my "cube"s get updated at some frequency, and they will be updated as long as they are played

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very few of my cube-like entities haven't been updated or marked for updating in the past few years (maybe two); I'm always getting tempted by new card designs! Just wondering who here, if anyone, has at least a list that never is updated but still is played (and enjoyed)! Feel free to share links to any of your static lists or your rational behind updating (or not updating) your list(s). (Also feel free to suggest a better way to frame the poll Qs.)

If you take the poll, I am referring to a "set 'cube'" as a draft simulator based on a retail set (or collection of sets); it can be singleton or include multiples. My assumption is that these are the most likely to not be updated after a certain point but be still be enjoyed as a point-in-time representation of Magic booster draft.

I have two Ravnica-plane inspired grids that I aim to never update after playing a decent number of games/drafts to tweak them a few years ago:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/nonred_rav_grid
https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/nonblack_rav_grid

And I also hope to eventually have Grillo's Penny Pincher 2.0 updated to a static 450 or 540 list (as I feel the trend in new card designs feed into the spirit of the cube design so well), but I also have his last updated list: https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/inventors-fair

Reactions: dbs
I have designed many cubes in the past, but I usually only play one at a time. I really only keep my main 360 updated because that's the only one I play on average.

Penny Pincer Cube. Need I say more?

(although there have been some cards in the past which would fit in nicely)

I really only focus on my main cube, everything else I tinker with on Cobra is mostly just a theoretical exercise for fun. I keep my cube updated set to set because its just easier that way, and its fun to participate in spoiler season, but I usually don't pick up cards unless they're really cheap or I think they're going to become way pricier down the line. I don't really play paper Limited anymore and have way more disposable income than when I started building this in 2014 as a student so I just buy foils outright nowadays since one of my goals had been to foil out my cube for the long term. I'm close now, only a handful of cards left!

There are also a handful I'd like to upgrade, like getting a Torment Grim Lavamancer eventually, but that's just part of the fun with hunting down stuff like this over the years. I've always loved the collecting aspect of hobbies. I'm all for making updates if it means I get to play with a cooler version of a card that I prefer. Swapping from Release Promo Scavenging Ooze to the older border promos from this summer? In. TSR Retro foil printings? I'll pick up the reasonable ones. Foil Bitterblossom? We've got a lot of options now, but I'm waiting to find a NM copy from Morningtide that I can verify in person before purchasing. So yeah, I guess I do update.

I will say that it has become harder and harder to make swaps over the years but I feel close to a near finished cube. I'll swap cards here and there and mark flex slots accordingly for future reference, but I think it's accurate to say that near 90% of my cube is going to remain there long term. That makes it easy to make certain swaps and utilize the "free space" I have to work with, no matter how limited.

I've said this elsewhere but my cube is my Zen garden. A constant state of maintenance is half of the value for me curating it. I'm currently working on my reject cube (the ban list is cards in my "main" cube) and by nature, it will also be constantly evolving as well as new cards rotate in and out of my 720.

I didn’t vote.
I have one cube exactly and that one cube gets updated constantly. Every week.

Is this correct of me not to vote?

I've got a proxied power cube (printed using Magic Set Editor) I don't plan to update often. It's not my main cube, more of an opportunity to provide players with experiences they can't have in the average match by including a tight list of powerful spells. I'm happy with it where it's at, so updating it isn't a priority for me.