General Draft Modifier Cards

I know that this little guy got some discussion when Conspiracy originally came out:

Do any of the other drafting cards look like they'd be any fun to toss into the rotation? Some that kinda call out to me are:

Another question - does anyone have experience with how these cards change if you give everyone 5 packs of 9 instead of 3 packs of 15?

Obviously Canal Dredger becomes way stronger. I would not run it in 5 packs of 9 cards. It would very hurtful that one tournament we tried 3 packs of 12 cards.

Smuggler Captain is low powered but really cool if you are low enough power. It's fun with cards like Approach of the Second Sun.

Deal Broker varies from playgroup to playgroup. Some just don't want to help other players out even though it benefits themselves because of the risk of them losing value which I guess makes sense. Others spend 10+ minutes on resolving Deal Broker's ability because they all want to offer something which also kind of makes sense. If you go into a playgroup blind, I would bring this card with you. The benefit of the doubt until proven useless.

Garbage Fire is a bad card. Best case it is removal at 3 mana. For the red slot I like Pyretic Hunter instead. Or the weaker colorless Lurking Automaton.

About Lore Seeker. It's always better for the player drafting it because that player will get the best options. However this feels very fair because that player also spend a draft pick on getting that ability. The rest of the table are getting bonus cards with an 'unfair' distribution. This can be somewhat fun but I wouldn't run it in 100 $ tournaments :p The moment you cut the booster packs from 15 to 9 and add more packs you change the distribution. I would think hard about this one before adding it to your new distribution.

A really cool card is Paliano, the High City you should consider. It's both fun and rewards good players. In the same boat I run Regicide and it's always fun. Just don't run too many because they take up mental space with all the writing and remembering.

I don't like too many of these, because als Vel said, they take up mental space. The only one I currently run is Dealbroker. I like the trading mini game after the draft, as it reminds me a bit of the good ol' times when you would actually trade for cards (with little knowledge of their actual worth). Also, I'd probaby cube a 2/3 looter for {3} anyways.

I don't like too many of these, because als Vel said, they take up mental space. The only one I currently run is Dealbroker. I like the trading mini game after the draft, as it reminds me a bit of the good ol' times when you would actually trade for cards (with little knowledge of their actual worth). Also, I'd probaby cube a 2/3 looter for {3} anyways.

Add five Deal Brokers and watch your playgroup become Wall Street brokers for a few minutes :p

Here's one you've overlooked! It does a decent impression of Metallic Mimic, but it gets actively good if you've got a Humans theme going. This is mostly because these effects get a LOT better in multiples--for example, while Ethereal Absolution is somewhat beatable Elesh Norn really isn't (if you don't have a kill spell ;)). Yeah, there's the tradeoff of a lack of flexibility and the fact that the Vanguard gives buffs and not counters, but a bear is a lot more plausible as an attacker than a 2/1.

I love the idea of having a bunch of Deal Brokers! I would be happy to run a lot of those and either Cogwork Librarian or Lore Seeker, if only because the bodies are actually kind of reasonable. The problem with Lore Seeker is that it's arguably an automatic Pick 2 unless you see the perfect card for your deck, as the numbers say that you're likely to get a better card out of fifteen than out of fourteen, but if your group isn't a bunch of statistics freaks like me it could be pretty good (though I'd still pass it because that sort of certainty sucks the fun out of the game for me. If I wanted certainty, I'd fill out a Sudoku or crossword puzzle, or just a regular jigsaw puzzle, for that matter.). I'd actually like it a lot more if it came with the text "Lore Seeker must be in your deck" to trade off for the fact that another first pick is such freeroll value.

I've run Paliano and it's been fine, although honestly city of brass is probably just better in that slot (a second one).

I did run an edit of garbage fire that said "any" but pulled that the first time it went 15th pick >.> I can see how they settled on single creature. These are better in multiples if you're not running singleton since they're all as good as the highest one you grabbed, but they're pretty low power in the 3CMC slot and there are better choices that don't involve book keeping