General Draft Strategy

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Curse of Shallow Graves has always been borderline in my own environment, but because it's on the weak side, as opposed to being too strong. It's not actually a given that you can attack on any particular turn without throwing a body away, especially once the midgame comes around - your opponents, especially the midrange ones, are often packing sizeable blockers by that point. Chump attacking to make a 2/2 isn't usually a profitable plan, and I'd wager a guess that the average number of zombies made per game, over the lifespan of my cube, is two. It's been arguably worse than Moan of the Unhallowed would be, if I ran that.

In practise, it's also been much worse at being wrath protection than 'real' token makers, like Bitterblossom or planeswalkers. After a sweeper, you need to a) draw and cast a single threat, b) have it survive a turn to attack, then c) get a single tapped token for your troubles, which itself can't attack until the third (!) turn after the wrath. That's the best case scenario.

To be sure, it gets better a) if the deck is packing a lot of one and two drops, and b) if a good chunk of them are evasive threats. That's been more difficult to assemble here than I thought, though.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Curse of Shallow Graves has always been borderline in my own environment, but because it's on the weak side, as opposed to being too strong. It's not actually a given that you can attack on any particular turn without throwing a body away, especially once the midgame comes around - your opponents, especially the midrange ones, are often packing sizeable blockers by that point. Chump attacking to make a 2/2 isn't usually a profitable plan, and I'd wager a guess that the average number of zombies made per game, over the lifespan of my cube, is two. It's been arguably worse than Moan of the Unhallowed would be, if I ran that.

In practise, it's also been much worse at being wrath protection than 'real' token makers, like Bitterblossom or planeswalkers. After a sweeper, you need to a) draw and cast a single threat, b) have it survive a turn to attack, then c) get a single tapped token for your troubles, which itself can't attack until the third (!) turn after the wrath. That's the best case scenario.

To be sure, it gets better a) if the deck is packing a lot of one and two drops, and b) if a good chunk of them are evasive threats. That's been more difficult to assemble here than I thought, though.

Also mutavault makes it real consistent