General Drafting Constructed Decks

(I'm not sure where/which thread to post this idea, so it's going here. Please feel free to move it to the proper location or remove.)

So maybe I've been playing/watching too much League of Legends recently, but, inspired by LCS pick-and-bans, I had this great idea for a pseudo draft (okay not really a draft) constructed format:

This is probably played as Modern because this requires a large pool of decks at about the same powerlevel. People in charge (TOs, WOTC, Riptide, idgaf) come up with a pool of decks to be used in this tournament, along with decklists. Players organize themselves into team of 3 (or 5?). When a team is matched up against each other, each player plays each other playing in a typicall Bo3 match, where seating matchup is determined (randomly/by players/by who picks second? idk)

Teams do a classic pick-ban phase. Team 1 bans a deck, Team 2 bans a deck, etc. until bans are done (depending on how large the deck pool is might determine exact number of bans). Then the teams snake draft decks until each player has a deck. Matches ensue. Each team re-drafts decks each round.

Logistically, this seems like a nightmare, but it sounds (atm) like a cool concept. Specifically in Modern I think it fixes a lot of issues like the infamous "matchup lottery", linear aggro decks being everwhere, and the need to ban OP decks/cards every 6 months.

Alternatively (and possibly more accessible to people who dont own/proxy all 50 Modern decks) you could try doing a Unified Standard format, where before the matches teams get to ban out 5-15 cards and then teams had an some time to deckbuild.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Abstractly I like the idea (what if constructed were drafting instead of deckbuilding). Not sure what I can add, sounds like a format that would only work on Cockatrice or something.

Mostly I wish CFB would release more Modern videos.