Dwayne's Cube - 450 unpowered

First, here is the cubetutor link:
http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/2732

the missing card is steam augury, and signets are absent because i play them with the utility land draft.

The primary goal of my cube is to provide a fun and cheap drafting environement to my close friends, while being a bit reminiscent of the good old days (first ravnica block, kamigawa...)

My main worry is that the power level of the colors seem a bit mismatched. I fear white might have a bit too much juice compared to black and green.

I try ad support most fair themes, such as disruption, ressource denial, aggro and control (and the in-between themes like midrange by default)

An issue i find is that im having a hard time keeping an archetype overlap, making some cards super narrow (show and tell, emrakul) and they often end up never being picked. I fear my proportions of "glue" cards may be out of whack, but i fear i am unable to pinpoint more than a few minor issues, eve though it feels wrong when the cube s being drafted (i dont know if this makes sense...)

Combo is barely supported, mostly cheating big things. I encourage a mostly "fair" type of play with some spice.

thank you for your time

Dwayne

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hey Dwayne, at a quick glance, this looks like a well-balanced, fairly fine-tuned cube already. You've got plentiful fixing, a reasonable but not egregious collection of powerful colourless cards, a sane mana curve, and a relatively restrained gold section. This looks like a cube with a lot of thought put into it.

How often have you drafted your list? What are the kinds of decks that tend to come out on top? And have you noticed any decks in particular struggling to keep pace?

Pure combo is a difficult archetype to support, though I like how you dabble in the Big Cheats archetype. Could one possibility be to add even more of a ramp package in green, so that those archetypes can overlap? Even with a heavy ramp theme, though, Emrakul is probably overkill; you might do just as well with little brother Kozilek.

you bring up some solid points on the ramp / cheat archetype overlap, as mana dorks are glue that help both and midrangey decks

To answer your question, the cube has about 20-30 drafts in it so far. Typically decks including a white/blue shell typically come out on top, although 30-40% of the time some other madness somehow 3-0 with a 4 color wheenies splashing sulfuric vortex or other nonsense.

Combo is sweet, however since my cube is never drafted entirely at once I'm worried that combo will only sporadically be available as an archetype, and that worries me too much to fully support it. Sometimes we cannot have the whole 8 players for a draft, and the restricts eveen more the available card pool for a draft (assuming 3x15 cards per player)

Also for the records, i have stumbled on your cube recently, tried 1-2 drafts with it, and i really like it!