General Errata'ing Cards

General question: have any of you created an errata for cards in your cube, like minor ones?

Like for example, for the sake of simplicity, say Lingering Souls or any other card that make spirit tokens make 1/1 Flying Black/White Spirit tokens instead of white tokens? Just to have the same tokens for spells that make tokens along with the new Afterlife mechanic in the recent set?

Or perhaps to push an archetype more, Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Precinct Captain make 1/1 Human Tokens to push Human archetypes?

Just curious to hear/see some examples - I see some on here make their own cards to get the affect they want, but I prefer not to go down that road.

Weren't you going to finish posting your cube 2/3 weeks ago?
Ugh, I've been busy...

General question: have any of you created an errata for cards in your cube, like minor ones?

Like for example, for the sake of simplicity, say Lingering Souls or any other card that make spirit tokens make 1/1 Flying Black/White Spirit tokens instead of white tokens? Just to have the same tokens for spells that make tokens along with the new Afterlife mechanic in the recent set?

Or perhaps to push an archetype more, Elspeth, Sun's Champion and Precinct Captain make 1/1 Human Tokens to push Human archetypes?

Just curious to hear/see some examples - I see some on here make their own cards to get the affect they want, but I prefer not to go down that road.

Ugh, I've been busy...

I can't really see a functional reason to do this other than making everything match ascetically, but I would say go ahead if you feel like it. Just make sure your drafters know before hand what you're doing.

Also, I would recommend making the "soldier" and "human" tokens all "human soldier" tokens, so that your cards are only gaining synergies rather than losing some.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Cross-quoting from the Draft Exchange thread:
Thanks for the drafts, Onder! For what it's worth, I've errata'd out the protection on the swords, so whilst they're still very good, you at least don't get randomly hosed by being U/R against SoFI.

I plan to do this extensively once I figure out the MakePlayingCards logistics. Also allows for foils of cards that don't come in foil!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Just beware of what players already know! I expect a Sword of Fire and Ice with "Protection from red and from blue" crossed out registers better than a custom print of the card where the text is completely absent. The crossing out actually alerts people to the fact that the card is errata'd, whereas players might play a card by heart, ignoring the errata, if the errata isn't visible on the card. I know I identify most cards by the card art, not by reading the text. I already know what the card does after all.

Aren’t they only doing Poker cards?
You can do custom front/custom back to make a Magic proxy. The cards are the same size as standard poker cards so it works out. I've tried doing this before and my issue was the print run came out too dark.

You can do custom front/custom back to make a Magic proxy. The cards are the same size as standard poker cards so it works out. I've tried doing this before and my issue was the print run came out too dark.

Well that changes things entirely! :)

So how do we do this? Can we use MSE custom cards and make them attach those files onto a Poker card and make it ready for print? Or does it only work for actual proxies of real MtG cards?

By the way it actually surprises me that Poker cards have the same sizes as MtG cards.

Metric
MtG: 88 x 63
Poker: 88,9 x 83,5

Imperial
MtG: 3,5 x 2,5
Poker: 3,5 x 2,5

Something is wrong here :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Just beware of what players already know! I expect a Sword of Fire and Ice with "Protection from red and from blue" crossed out registers better than a custom print of the card where the text is completely absent. The crossing out actually alerts people to the fact that the card is errata'd, whereas players might play a card by heart, ignoring the errata, if the errata isn't visible on the card. I know I identify most cards by the card art, not by reading the text. I already know what the card does after all.

106 - Blade of Brimstone.jpg
For eg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
To clarify, I meant printing a custom variant that keeps the name and the art, but has a different text, instead of visibly altering a real card. Printing a custom with a new name and new art certainly works as well, if not better!

Nice on the menace by the way, that really fits with the mechanics of the swords, without completely blanking one opponent.

I agree with everything above. Good job Chris!

Just name it something other than Brimstone when it is Ice and Fire with draw and damage. If you ask me at least. Brimstone is synonym for sulfur and is a yellow material (if you mix blue and red you get purple which is almost the opposite.) Sulfur is neither cold nor warn but exists in room temperature.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I agree with everything above. Good job Chris!

Just name it something other than Brimstone when it is Ice and Fire with draw and damage. If you ask me at least. Brimstone is synonym for sulfur and is a yellow material (if you mix blue and red you get purple which is almost the opposite.) Sulfur is neither cold nor warn but exists in room temperature.

Yeah good call.

Quick someone find me art of a steam sword! :D

I also tell everyone if they haven't played with my cube before that the swords don't give protection, although it does still sometimes get forgotten.

I followed this guide from Reddit. At some point (hopefully soon) I'm going to order a sampler to try to get the coloring right.
https://old.reddit.com/r/bootlegmtg/comments/7k34hy/so_i_like_yall_and_you_seem_to_like_my_proxies/

Tested it and it looks really sweet.

I did not order.

A few thoughts:
1. The guide is good. Follow it step-by-step to learn how to order a simple proxy order. The guide will also teach you most of what I expect to need when doing actual home-made custom card designs.

2. Card quality needs to be high. This is good! This means Scryfall will come in handy. I hope Magic Set Editor will be high enough.

3. It seems like the user could produce cards at 30 Cents/card and the cheapest I have found is 2,5 $/card if I max out and get 250 cards or more.

4. The program automatically zooms in on cards which means the images of cards we upload has to be edited somehow first. I am thinking of simply using paint and add some black color on each of the four sides of the cards before testing again.

I can't wait :)

Hey just so you know, I'm cooking up a python notebook to do all the image processing steps semi-automatically. I would imagine manually doing paint for 300+ cards would be a real pain in the ass. No promise on when it might get done, but knowing someone else (besides myself) is interested in it might motivate me to actually finish it, lol.

My cube uses a few cards with fresh errata:

Moonsilver Spear that costs {3} (because no one was taking it)
Sengir Vampire that's a 4/5 (because my fliers have crept up in power but very few have 5 power)
Ruthless Instincts that costs {G} (because combat tricks are fun but my cube has strong removal)

I'm considering

Deadbridge Goliath that costs {3}{G}{G} (because it's stepping on Arashi, the Sky Asunder and Rumbling Slum at present)

And those are all relatively easy because they don't use the textbox in any way. It's easy to replace the cost or p/t of a card with something obvious. I'm using thin purple sticky notes stuck to the inside front of the sleeve; I might replace them with proxies with obvious edits soon. My tongue-in-cheek CubeTutor images are: Moonsilver Spear, Sengir Vampire, Ruthless Instincts. I think slightly cleaned-up and professional-looking versions of those edits could work, especially when I start fiddling with the textbox.

hey, yeah my cube i've changed about 3 cards to put them in the place i want but not by leaps and bounds or making custom cards... they are,

1) I made this a (1)(R) cost (2cmc total) instead of 3, because i felt at 3 it was not even close to good enough and Red 3 is way to stuffed and i wanted a tappy effect here, 2 slot works

2) I changed this card to an INSTANT from Sorcery... at Instant it has many many many interactions offensively, defensively and is just a different card than you could previously get though still fitting white's identity.

3)As i play a bunch of multiplayer, i changed this from YOUR end of turn to EVERY end of turn to since the effect may take 3 or 4 turns now you can get it more often and make it cool. there are not enough cool cards with the ability to Sacrifice creature. I don't have really much combo or crazy power level so its just strong. I am waiting to see if it is TOO good from playing and will debate removing it at that point but so far it hasn't broken anyone.