General Fight Club

I would give it to Tanuki personally specifically because I like that you don't get both.
Other bonuses include instant speed, hitting the graveyard and being an enchantment.
Beanstalk is the more powerful of the two though, it even gets you the land untapped which is pretty huge.

Rex is awesome for reanimator. ...
Thanks for your passionate post, it reminded me why I run the reanimator package. I`ll go with Titanoth Rex and Waker of Waves, the turtle is not splashy enough for me.
Brings up an interesting question....

v. ?
I would go with the giant if you already run other adventure cards. Otherwise I think the tanuki is easier to parse, even though the enchantment type is very unexpected.

Next round:
vs.
Context: Medium powered cube with a {R}/{W} stubborn aggro archetype (that wants to attack with indestructible creatures: example) and a "hidden" 5 Color archetype (where the 5 Color payoffs are servicable on their own, but pop once you get access to all 5 colors).

Definitely Taranika, if that example list is anything to go by. :p

In all seriousness, the two cards have very different roles. Taranika upgrades your aggro dorks and utility creatures into actual threats, while Kyodai is more interested in protecting a single important permanent.

(Also, compared to the cards you're using as examples for your 5-color archetype, Kyodai is kinda disappointing, since it's literally just a huge flyer. I'd almost say that Paragon of the Amesha or Dragonsoul Knight are better rewards for going 5-color, and neither card is particularly good.)

Turning some random dork into a 4/4 feels much more rewarding imo (even if you just Hit a 1/1 Flyer.) and
can also be good with +1/+1 counters while the dragon is more like a gotcha card. I have come to prefer the former over the latter in my cube building.

Context: Medium powered cube with a small reanimator package:
vs. vs.
How many of these would you run? And which of these?
I like how these cards are two combo pieces in one (fatty + discard) for the reanimator archetype and are still relevant if you don`t draw into your reanimation.

I'm a little scared of the clock Taranika provides. Kyodai is a bit under statted with a great effect, which I feel is a fair trade off.

but i want big stats and big effect! and low mana cost!

fwiw taranika is cool and a very fast clock, depending on your power level might be too fast, or if you’re me, not enough

Definitely Taranika, if that example list is anything to go by. :p

In all seriousness, the two cards have very different roles. Taranika upgrades your aggro dorks and utility creatures into actual threats, while Kyodai is more interested in protecting a single important permanent.

(Also, compared to the cards you're using as examples for your 5-color archetype, Kyodai is kinda disappointing, since it's literally just a huge flyer. I'd almost say that Paragon of the Amesha or Dragonsoul Knight are better rewards for going 5-color, and neither card is particularly good.)
I think there is some overlap as Kyodai also enables you to attack with a fragile creature that could not safely do so otherwise. (This is part of the {W}/{R} archetype in my cube)
Taranika, Akroan Veteran really only works in aggresive decks, while Kyodai seems desirable in more decks to me. Creating an indestructible blocker and attacking in the air is not the worst thing in a controlling shell.
Also {W}{W} vs single {W}.
I totally agree that the 5 color activation could be something more interesting than just "become big". :(
Turning some random dork into a 4/4 feels much more rewarding imo (even if you just Hit a 1/1 Flyer.) and
can also be good with +1/+1 counters while the dragon is more like a gotcha card. I have come to prefer the former over the latter in my cube building.
Great insight, thanks. The ceiling of Kyodai eating 2 of your attackers and then swinging back at you for 8 in the air probably feels pretty bad, especially since you can not do much about it on the other side of the table.

Probably going to stick with Taranika, Akroan Veteran as she also sends the clearer signal.

too good for low power, not good enough for max power
And not as interesting as all the other white three drops for those of us on the knife's edge between the two.

I tested it for four months or so, saw it hit the table maybe once. Honestly, the double pip in the cost was a killer besides its power level and lack of compelling synergy.

This might sound a little heretical, but I'm of the opinion that you don't need to maximize agency in all your card slots. It's OK to have some cards that are literally just "attack with me every turn, kthxbai", because that pushes the game forwards.

I do agree, but I also like cards to be cool. Taranika's art is fine, if a bit basic. I don't get a sense of the character, and there's a lot to read and grok with the ability. It plays much more simply than it reads, which is fine, but makes drafting more complicated.

To wit, here are 3 MV creatures in white that are all about turning sideways that I prefer that would make it into my cube first:

While I'm at it (and because I was looking them up and wanted to share), here are weird, archetype-specific, or obscure three-drop creatures in white that I really like:

I currently only play with Loyal Retainers of the above cards, but Peacekeeper was cut just this last expansion and Preacher a year ago, after having both served in cube for nearly a decade each. Love those cards, and would add them back in if I made the color more supportive of their efforts.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Attacking is better than not attacking
This is big true

And not as interesting as all the other white three drops for those of us on the knife's edge between the two.

I tested it for four months or so, saw it hit the table maybe once. Honestly, the double pip in the cost was a killer besides its power level and lack of compelling synergy.
One piece of compelling synergy (and the reason I'm running the card) is +1/+1 counters synergizes real well with setting base p/t, so this can be +4/+4 with some cards.

This might just be splitting hairs, tbh. I think I value the simplicity of Barbarian Ring most of all, followed by the ability to hit creatures. But does anyone else run it over the Ruins? Is the prevalence of Ruins just due to it making bigger waves in standard?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Barbarian Ring is way way better
I think these are fairly close. Barbarian Ring has a cheaper activation cost and can target anything, but it's harder to turn on, and you can't dodge the life loss when you tap it for mana. FWIW, CubeCobra currently has Barbarian Ring pegged at an ELO of 1274 and a cube inclusion rate (CIR) of 1.72%, whereas Ramunap Ruins is sitting at a lower ELO of 1222, but a higher CIR of 2.35%. Two alternatives with much lower cube inclusion rates, but comparable ELO's, are Shivan Gorge (ELO 1265, CIR 0.52%) and Keldon Megaliths (ELO 1252, CIR 0.64%). All of these fill similar roles. Objectively, Barbarian Ring seems to be the best of the bunch, but not by all that much.

I think Barbarian Ring is my choice. It's a more interesting card to play with IMO, and doesn't have annoying trinket text.

It also hits creatures, which makes it's ability almost automatically better.

vampire is better, draw is free and triggers on tokens and blink stuff. there are situations you can concoct where bishop is better but they’re very niche in terms of decks that are actually draftable

This might sound a little heretical, but I'm of the opinion that you don't need to maximize agency in all your card slots. It's OK to have some cards that are literally just "attack with me every turn, kthxbai", because that pushes the game forwards.
As someone whose current design goals include catering to beginners, I have a huge appreciation lately for Savannah Lions, Watchwolf, Woolly Thoctar, etc.