GBS

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, but you can still discuss them there with a cube slant, no? I guess what we were trying to do was give people a place to make threads for topics that they might not otherwise make or discuss if only the one thread existed.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Actually I think that will have a positive effect. Even though I am completely consciously aware of the change, I myself will be more likely to read the stuff posted there.
Just to throw in my tuppence, the custom card stuff is the only stuff I tend to skip here. It's a shame, because I don't have much interest in reading a post with ten custom cards that someone thought of, but if someone has 10 custom cards they want to throw out there, they totally should (discourse is an important part of the creative process blah blah blah). I really like having custom cards to fill holes when needed, but this site proves time after time what good things can already be done with the Wizards card pool. Much like sampling in music or collage in visual art I like the challenge of making a good cube out of what's already there. That said, I really appreciate variance and eclecticity, so a few custom cards is definitely a good thing.
Custom cards rarely tend to excite me, and now that I'm thinking about it, neither do the other ones. Why do I play this game?

Is there a way to include errata and things like environmental support like brainstorming in the mix here. Like there's just a lot more than just special personal cards that can come out of re examining the tools we have and what we wish we could have.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Do you subscribe to threads or something? I only get an alert if my posts get quoted or liked. You must be getting alerts for more than just that.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Yeah every thread I reply to gets watched. Fine with me, since I basically don't use the alerts. The only reason I do this is to squash the urge to immediately click notifications.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Actually I think that will have a positive effect. Even though I am completely consciously aware of the change, I myself will be more likely to read the stuff posted there.
Just to throw in my tuppence, the custom card stuff is the only stuff I tend to skip here. It's a shame, because I don't have much interest in reading a post with ten custom cards that someone thought of, but if someone has 10 custom cards they want to throw out there, they totally should (discourse is an important part of the creative process blah blah blah). I really like having custom cards to fill holes when needed, but this site proves time after time what good things can already be done with the Wizards card pool. Much like sampling in music or collage in visual art I like the challenge of making a good cube out of what's already there. That said, I really appreciate variance and eclecticity, so a few custom cards is definitely a good thing.
Custom cards rarely tend to excite me, and now that I'm thinking about it, neither do the other ones. Why do I play this game?

One thing I've noticed is you get a LOT more feedback if you post single cards. There's a lot of information overload when you dump 10-15 cards on people

This becomes hard when you've got a whole new idea for what to do with blue and need feedback on 8 new 2 drops *grumble grumble*

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I wish custom cards would do more is to excite me as a player, rather than just provide an appropriate amount of power on a variation of an existing effect.

I know that's difficult though, because some of my favorite cards I would think were ridiculous if they weren't "WOTC official". I don't know how you straddle that line, but... less gap filling and more excitement building. Maybe that's too steep of an order though.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Exactly! But I love me some DRS.

Also, I really get more excited when I see *BS threads active than any other. I don't know why. I love me some BS threads. They could have anything in them, which is some pretty sweet potential.

it strikes me as odd that mtgs seems to have a ton of very specific rules and then theres users posting entirely in purple comic sans and everyone is just ok with it

I thought GBS would be a good place to introduce myself :) Aussie bloke who happened upon Jason's CFB cube articles. I really appreciated the, err holistic? (might not be the term I'm looking for) approach to cubing. It was a definitely a refreshing change to the megalomania of MTGS.

I've only just got into cubing myself recently, and have my first cube put together. I'm looking at exploring a couple of avenues that have been mentioned here - Eldrazi Domain looks like a ton of fun, as well as fleshing out a cube with some custom cards.

I've been playing magic for ummm 18 odd years I think - with some big gaps in between though. Although I've been playing a long time, I'm still an average player who probably is too much of a Timmy to amount to anything spectacular :) (I'm ok with this I think).

Hopefully I will be sticking around :)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I thought GBS would be a good place to introduce myself :) Aussie bloke who happened upon Jason's CFB cube articles. I really appreciated the, err holistic? (might not be the term I'm looking for) approach to cubing. It was a definitely a refreshing change to the megalomania of MTGS.

I've only just got into cubing myself recently, and have my first cube put together. I'm looking at exploring a couple of avenues that have been mentioned here - Eldrazi Domain looks like a ton of fun, as well as fleshing out a cube with some custom cards.

I've been playing magic for ummm 18 odd years I think - with some big gaps in between though. Although I've been playing a long time, I'm still an average player who probably is too much of a Timmy to amount to anything spectacular :) (I'm ok with this I think).

Hey, thanks for joining us! I hope you enjoy your stay!

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Cheers mate! Love to hear another voice about custom cards around here :D

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
So Kuldahar kinda beat me to it. Pretty much the same thought, GBS makes sense as a place to introduce oneself.

Mostly a competitive player but really enjoy playing cube when I don't have a tournament that I need to prepare for. I started lurking these forums recently while trying to work on my own cube, figured it was about time I quit eavesdropping and join the conversation.

there's actual an introduction thread somewhere or another but i'm too lazy to dig it up

welcome to both of you anyway

Dougggggg

Reigning Draft Champion
Thanks, so is there a decent amount of players on here that use Cockatrice? It seems like I can never get cube drafts started on there very easily unless I want to play the holiday cube from magic online... I'll pass.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Douggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg and Kuldahar said:
Hai guise!

Velcome!

Thanks, so is there a decent amount of players on here that use Cockatrice? It seems like I can never get cube drafts started on there very easily unless I want to play the holiday cube from magic online... I'll pass.

Yeah I can never get a draft together round here. I would really like a way for us to draft riptide cubes together online. Maybe I should just go to Antwerp again.

Where you from Douggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg? Cuz if you live in London we could draft.... But who am I kidding. Nobody lives in London.