GBS

Well folks, i finally have a MTGO account! I’m holding off for now on buying the upgrade or any cards or really anything at all if i can help it.
How much does stuff like Vintage Cube drafting cost?
Is it hard to stay FTP for cube drafting unless you’re a godlike drafter?

Well folks, i finally have a MTGO account! I’m holding off for now on buying the upgrade or any cards or really anything at all if i can help it.
How much does stuff like Vintage Cube drafting cost?
Is it hard to stay FTP for cube drafting unless you’re a godlike drafter?

Cube events cost $10 a pop on MTGO. The prizes consist mostly of points to play more events. Your expected value is about 78% of the entry cost with a 50% win rate, and you would need a 63% win rate to play for free indefinitely. In general, good players can spend money more slowly at drafting, but drafting for free is hard.

The $5 upgrade to make your account into a regular account that can acquire cards includes 100 play points, which is the entry fee for a cube draft, for what it's worth.

Cube is only available on MTGO at certain times in between set releases and over holidays and so on. Right now Double Masters events are going, and they don't have offer cube at the same time as release events.

I've never played one of their cube events, but I guess I could try that if I have time when they make it available again. I have some points sitting there. Overall, I wouldn't recommend making a hobby out of limited on MTGO unless you like to spend money.

thanks for the advice!
i am quickly learning just how bad i truly am at MTG... but i really like the looks of the Pauper metagame. looking at RG Madness, Ux Delver, and RW monarch as options for a first deck to work on. any suggestions?

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
thanks for the advice!
i am quickly learning just how bad i truly am at MTG... but i really like the looks of the Pauper metagame. looking at RG Madness, Ux Delver, and RW monarch as options for a first deck to work on. any suggestions?

Well, well, well... Look what we have here. This is now my time to shine.
Depends what you are really looking for and how you like to play. RG Madness isn't really a deck, so I wouldn't pick that.
Ub and Ur Delver are both pretty decent. I think the printing of cast down may help UB be the better delver deck in the future but we are yet to find out.

RW Monarch is the Jund of the format. It will forever be relevant and is pretty decent. Good creatures, good burn and a weird gameplan were you fog board and play baubles, then beat down with flyers.

I would start out with monarch, but I think Palace Sentinels are pretty expensive on MTGO.

I would probably even start with affinity. Deck is always super decent, just has a Gorilla Shaman problem which hasn't been around as much recently. Now that I think about it, with the amount of people on Tron at the moment I would try affinity.

I can probably even give you a deck if you want. Just PM me on the discord server and I'll see what I can do to help you out on MTGO :D

https://discord.gg/eSbNCE

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Thanks! I saw your UBG combo deck did well in a recent event! I’ll be in touch!

Oh, that thing... That is a meme.
A funny meme, but a meme nonetheless. I tried it in a challenge and went 2-4. It is okay, and I had some decent luck to go 5-0 in a league.
It is hard to win with that deck when people know what you are up to.

darn, it looked awesome!
and yeah Boros Monarch is just such a cool deck concept! the tix price of Strands and Sentinels is stupid nuts though.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
does anyone play Commander on MTGO? is there any fun to be had there, or is it horrible?

The fact that you have to pass priority all the time makes it rather painful. I think there is fun to be had though. I watch a decent amount of Pleasant Kenobi's EDH and Chill and it always seems like a fun time if you are playing with friends. I don't know how fun it will be with randoms. Depends how cutthroat they will be.

I'm looking for some advice on selling a part of my collection. Is the best route just CFB/SCG/CardKingdom buylisting? Anyone here have experience selling 300-500 medium value cards?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I suck at it. I assumed somehow that my Slay the Spire skills would transfer.

Oh no, it's a way different game :) practice makes perfect though, my first few rounds were also miserable ;) there's a lot of interaction between tiles, and those are worth exploring. I didn't catch your stream, but did you like it despite sucking at it?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh no, it's a way different game :) practice makes perfect though, my first few rounds were also miserable ;) there's a lot of interaction between tiles, and those are worth exploring. I didn't catch your stream, but did you like it despite sucking at it?

I think I'm not a big fan, but I'll try it further.

I don't like meta-progression in these types of games. It makes me feel like my progress is more a function of time than pure skill. It's also kinda lame that there are loops where I feel like the goal is to gather resources instead of win. It doesn't really give that satisfaction.

In Slay the Spire you can show up and just rock your first playthrough.

I also don't like that there seem to be a lot of hidden mechanics. I guess it fits the theme of remembering and exploration, but any time a game makes me feel like I should consult some external wiki to learn the things (hello binding of isaac), I think that's a bad thing.

The dialogue seemed kind of dumb and interrupting, and I didn't actually get that it was a deck building thing until this morning. Maybe they communicated that, but I was already sick of the generic dialogue and in the habit of skipping text boxes.

Constantly reading the stats on the items you get is also not that fun, but I guess eventually your brain streamlines that part.

I know it's not the same thing as Slay the Spire, but so far I feel like my limited play time per week or whatever might be better served there.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Heh, your negatives are all things I actually enjoy about the game :) It could very well be a case of 'this just isn't a game for you' (in the sense that it doesn't appeal to you, I'm not trying to sound elitist here ;) ).

It's kinda funny, since I also wasn't much of a fan of Loop Hero from what I saw, and the reasons I was annoyed at it (and also Slay The Spire) really only partially line up.

Like, I thought I liked Slay The Spire when I started playing it in Early Access (and when I tried to pick it up again more recently), but it turns out that what I liked was actually the Sealed run modifier. I find that I get actually, legitimately bored by the game if I try to play it normally. I just don't vibe well with the "random loot to create replayability" aspect of the roguelite genre — I prefer the roguelike-style "here are all your tools, right from the beginning" thing.

I also think that the whole "do runs over and over again to progress" thing is a mixed bag, because it allows my brain to recontextualize the game as a linear game with a ton of randomized padding. And yeah, sure, that's fine if the "padding" is something I actually like (looking at you, Into The Breach and Darkest Dungeon), but for a lot of games in that genre... yeah, I wonder why they bothered.

I have a theory that run-based games are so popular for indie developers because a lot of them don't have access to someone who has strong level design skills.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have a theory that run-based games are so popular for indie developers because a lot of them don't have access to someone who has strong level design skills.

Or, you know, because there are people, like me, who actually like run-based games? It's not as if I don't appreciate strong "level" design either, e.g. Ori and the Blind Forest, Fez, and Braid are all in my top 10 favorite games, but I do like the Rogue-lite formula (including Diablo).

Alright, first off I'd like to apologize, because that came off as way more dismissive than I thought it did. In my defense, I had just busted the mirror off my brother's car, and my nerves were on edge.

My full thought is this:

A lot of indie games use PGC-based level building these days, and I don't think it's just because people like you like them (I also like them in theory — in practice, there needs to be a solid core loop for me to stay grabbed by them). I think there's a cost-benefit analysis going on — making a really good pre-built world takes a lot of effort and a skill-set that a small outfit of 3-4 people might not have. However, building levels by gluing together prefab parts, or by stringing together a set of encounters (like Slay The Spire does) is cheap, easy, and gives you results comparable to what a competent (if uninspired) level designer could set up. It's good enough and an engine that produces it can produce a lot of it, which is great if you're a small company and you want to focus your efforts on telling a story/building cool gameplay loops.

To point to a run-based game I do like, Into The Breach is technically a run-based game, in that you play through the same broad campaign (2-4 islands, and then the Vek hive) over and over again, with a random assortment of skirmishes, weapons, and level-ups each time to add spice. And hey, you can score coins to unlock new mech teams, can start with any unique mech pilot you've found, and get to keep one of your pilots across runs, so it even has some of that permanent, gradual progression going on. The difference, in my mind, is that you can make a bunch of decisions about how you want to play a given run before you start. I don't need to wait until after the first island to know what options I have available — if I want to light some fools on fire, that mech team is right there.

It also helps that Into The Breach's core gameplay loop is in a genre I adore, and that it doesn't gate any story progression behind running in a specific way.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It can be hard to tell weather you're dying because you're misplaying or because you haven't played for long enough, and that not great design wise.
I like both, even if I like Slay better.

I like the little narrative interludes mostly because I'm kinda fascinated by the world they made

I just wish more run-based games weren't so unforgiving, tbh. Am I really going to be able to stay interested in this game I'm trying out if I keep losing in the "introduction" level because I haven't reached a proper level of mastery apparently? I get tired of swinging around "rusty knife" as a level 0 scrub pretty fast. Maybe this is a bigger issue with the itch.io style of indie run-based game.
Sprinkle in a bit too much RNG and it gets tiring really fast. Give me the save button for chrissake.