General Gifts Archetypes

Gifts Archetype

In my last two drafts, I've seen the rise of Simic Gifts as a distinct powerhouse archetype. Well, at least half an archetype - the UG decks I'm talking about focus heavily on tutors and recursion (with extremely good gifts piles) but usually have some other archetype grafted on top which give them unique flavor or wind condition. I was going to post the decklists, but first I feel compelled to share some wisdom from other Riptiders.

my favourite cube archetype to this day is Eternal Gifts, a UGx pile with Gifts, narrow answers, and tons of recursion. Any deck with a Profane Command + E-Wit loop is my jam.

This is a quick encapsulation of what I had in mind. In my particular cube, the Simic archetype focuses on cards like:

Black and white both seem like natural directions to extend the theme (safra's post instantly sold me on Profane Command - maybe also Cryptic Command). One can imagine UW, UB, or Esper versions although I think I'd want to expand my overall recursion suite a little - EWit and Regrowth are both so good.

Completely unsurprising to me, inscho has also been thinking along the same lines but with more of a midrage/combat focus. He posted a detailed breakdown of options in BUG:

Gigapede is a old favorite of mine, but is pretty bad these days....

I was actually thinking of writing a big post on this archetype I've been working on, but since the pede came up, and I will likely never sit down and commit to a full archetype analysis, I'll just dump this here:

To fetch any of:

Additional support:

(Plus any other relvant emerge, delve cards, or flashback....there's obviously a lot of options to adjust to fit your environment. )

The resulting deck being akin to teachings or the old nether-go decks that were a lot of fun in the past: https://archive.wizards.com/sideboard/article.asp?x=sb20010212a

I like the idea of incentivizing this type of control deck, and felt that Mystical Teachings was just a little too anemic for my environment.

This looks like a perfectly reasonable direction that the archetype could go. In my cube, I could imagine this taking the Seasons Past, Demonic Tutor loop direction where Gifts and extra recursion would really shine as an absurd value engine. Dom suggests another creature-themed direction which is even more my jam:

I'll write up more at some point but here's a longer look at Kami/Rav:

Kamigawa Block was already one of the most interesting and varied formats in a long time, and the great mana and gold cards that Ravnica brought spiced it up even more...The Gifts decks that dominated early Kamigawa block became retooled with better mana and lots of new toys; the card Gifts Ungiven ended up in shells ranging from draw-go control to Greater Good combo to Wildfire-Loam. One of the coolest, if overrated, decks was Fungus Fire, a WRG Control deck with Sunforger + Vitu-Ghazi providing inevitability even against control and a ton of removal to keep up with aggro. Here's a good summary of the format going into Worlds.

Worlds itself shook up the format a fair amount. The Japanese Ghazi-Glare deck with two different transformative SB plans - Greater Good + Yosei, and Congregation at Dawn into hate/Hierarchs, which often came together in the same post-SB configuration to let you chain Yoseis - dominated the tournament, but there with some combo innovations too with Frank Karsten's Greater Gifts deck and Akira Asahara (probably the most well-known wacky deckbuilder from the 2000s) playing Enduring Ideal.

Frank Karsten's first place deck from worlds 2005 is already like something straight out of my cube. Two weeks ago for example, I played a Rector/Pattern/Yosei deck:

Rector Sacrifice Combo

You can easily imagine adding blue for Gifts, adding some extra recursion or counter magic, and having Greater Good instead of Carrion Feeder. Looking over some of these posts has given me plenty to mull over as I push to support these shenanigans more. In fact, I want to push more recursion across all colors because it makes the combo games much more back-and-forth and exciting. I think I've mentioned this before, but when you're playing storm and get duress'd twice, it forces you to dig deep to find clever and roundabout ways to recur back your key pieces. This works fine if you managed to grab the Eternal Witness every drafter is fighting for, but if the whole cube were more suffused with recursion, then I could generally up the power of removal and disruption without worrying that pure control decks would take over.

Anyway, on to the two Simic Gifts decks from my own cube that sparked this whole post:

Gifts Alarm Storm

The first was this Intruder Alarm, Paradox Engine combo deck that stormed off with creatures. Basically the goal was to slowly get to the point where you could Retraction Helix, make infinte mana, draw your deck, and kill them with Aetherflux Reservoir. Gifts was an absolute monster - by far the scariest and most consistent card in a list that already naturally wants Regrowth and Greenwarden for resilience.

The second example, puts Gifts in a more reactive prison deck instead of dedicated combo:

Stasis Lands Gifts

There's a lot going on in this list, so the Gifts packages were kinda hard to sort out. You could go for a lock out with Stasis, Winter Orb, Fatestitcher, Wilderness Reclamation when the coast was clear, or go grab bounce, counterspells, reclamation sage, recursion and/or card draw when your opponent was trying to do something scary. Very very fun to play.

I think at this point I'm ready to replace Deep Analysis with a second copy of Gifts. Any recommendations on solid recursion spells across the color wheel? Any thoughts on other directions to take the Gifts package or more dedicated Gifts archetypes?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

(EDIT: I can't figure out why, but this card image list looks like it's bugged. Only EWit shows. The rest of the list is Regrowth, Noxious Revival, Snapcaster Mage, and Archaeomancer.)

You put all the cards in a single [ ci ] tag, you need to use a separate [ ci ] tag for each individual card I believe. Nope, this is just wrong, it should work fine with one tag as long as the cards are on separate lines, see Edit2 below.

Edit: Holy crap... That's weird, I just did that in your quote, and it still doesn't show them?

But this works? WTF?

Edit2: Also, I'm wrong about every card needing its own tag apparently. I have absolutely no clue what's going on in your post and in me quoting your post...

One card that fits very nicely in this discussion is Life from the Loam. I don't know how good this is as they can just give you the Loam + land, so you would need some Deep Analysis type cards to round out the Gift piles.

Need a creature? These two cards plus the creature in question gives it to you.

Need an artifact? Same thing.

Need to close out the game?

Want to mana for the rest of the game?

and a few value lands.

These piles are slow, but they will close out a game over time.

I used to run Gifts Given but it was agony. Cutting that was one of the best one-card decisions of my cube’s career.

1. It steals your opponent’s 3’rd and 4’th best card.
2. It removes your opponent’s best and 2nd best card.
3. It takes forever to resolve because searching a deck you didn’t build takes time, writing down all the information you need for the rest of the game takes time and choosing the two worst cards out of four takes time.
4. Games sometimes last for a long time after it resolves because your opponent will still be in the game but not really have many ways to win the game afterwards.
5. It leads to confusing in-between-game sideboarding and shuffling because you will have to remember to give the cards back to your opponent.

Please, please, please don’t spend a fortune amd buy this horrible card for your cube unless you do not like your friends.

Ps. I really like this thread! I am going to find room for Gifts Ungiven and Regrowth in my cube. I am already running most of the other support. Thanks for sharing dbs!

Any thoughts on

as another semi-gifts? Would having this card indicate that you definitely have Bolas somewhere in your cube to drafters?

I really think a drafter could end up very disappointed if it turns out there isn't a Bolas in the cube, so I'd include one for that reason. Also Bolas is a pretty big bombastic planeswalker!

You could prox a variant without the bolas clause. As long as you keep the incredible art of course.

But it really isn't a gift variant right? It doesn't put cards from the library into your 'yard, it is "just" a cool recursion spell . Probably still useful for these decks.

Also, has this been mentioned?

Reactions: dbs
Gifts has become one of my favorite cube cards. It is a one of the few sources of card advantage/tutoring that can be built around, a quality that I value very highly in my cube. Compare it to something like Vampiric Tutor that goes with anything and compliments whatever strategy you're drafting. Vampiric Tutor adds no complexity, and rather reduces complexity as it becomes a functional duplicate of any other card you've drafted. Or compare it to Fact or Fiction, which at its most complex, simply fuels graveyard strategies.

Gifts on the other hand, provides raw card advantage, fetches win conditions, assembles engines, or offers toolbox utility. That's an awful lot of options out of a single card, and Intuition is a functional lower power substitute. I highly recommend exploring it in cubes of most power levels.

My favorite Gifts deck I've ever had was an Emrakul deck where I'd use it as a form of super ramp for Emrakul, the Promised End or as a means of setting up reanimation:

Emrakul Ungiven [Shamim]

I clearly remember these piles being agonizing decisions for my opponents that day:

This one was to turbo out an Emrakul stuck in hand by putting more card types into the yard + allowing me to ramp into it next turn off either Crawler or Temple.

This was just a choice of damnations. Either I get to play an early Emrakul off of reanimation or I get ramped into it. They gave me Emrakul + Temple, I ramped two turns later and won.

Gifts is easily one of my favorite cards ever in MTG and it's incredibly fun to use in my cube. The applications are endless.