Going Green: Zendikar, Lush in Ancient Times

You can't read about Zendikar without coming across phrases "potent mana", "rich in mana", etc. Folks on the street'll tell ya that it's always been that way, and it's not thanks to the 'drazi. That rich mana is what drew the Eldrazi to the plane in the first place.

So let's go back to when Zendikar was young and wild - and free of gross extraplanar squids. That means no Eldrazi, and no cards that depict them or depict hedrons.

Other than those minor thematic restrictions, all other cards are fine.

Ideally I'd like to tap into some of whatever made RoE good for drafting, but I don't have direct experience with RoE like I do with Innistrad, so that makes it tough. I'm aware that ZEN/WWK were pretty bad for drafting, so I'll try to avoid Landfall and whatever else made the environment so fast and swingy.

Themes that might be fun:

Things that generate a ton of mana, or can use it. From some light research, that seems to be part of what made RoE great. That can be obvious levelers and Outlasters, but also more exotic cards like Inner-Flame Igniter.

I don't know whether Quests, Expeditions, or Ascensions are a good idea, but there are other interesting enchantments that, similarly, can be popped for effect or charged up with counters.

Elementals are always fun, and Zendikar had plenty of 'em.

This is also the cube I'll be using to experiment with focusing heavily on a particular color. This is inspired largely by the Desert Cube, which ended up being a lotta fun to play and draft. It's also, to a lesser extent, inspired by New Phyrexia, Torment, and the Mono Blue cube here on riptidelab. Anyway, this means the supported "color pairs" will be GU, GW, GR, GB, monogreen, and G-rainbow. There should be room to mix up the archetypes, though - GW tokens should go great with GB sacrifices, for instance. We'll see.

Here's the list so far: http://www.cubetutor.com/cubeblog/22348

I'd love comments and suggestions, there's still a lot to decide! Such as: green should be at least 50% bigger than the other color sections so that multiple people can "fight" over it without ruinously cutting each other. Maybe more than that? Tell me whatcha think!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Other mana sinks are X spells, (multi)kicker, entwine, flashback, activated abilities (which level up, in a sense, is, of course)

Laz

Developer
The main issue with Landfall is that you tend to only get it on your turn, which makes those Common +x/+x Landfall creatures (Plated Geopede, Steppe Lynx, etc) great at attacking, and terrible at blocking. Hence, the fast aggressive format.

I like this concept, and will be keen to watch it develop.

You do realize you're going to develop a midrange cube with all the ramp you'll surely be including, right? :)
That's certainly a risk. Ramp that generates mana every turn is not the only way to get "big mana" though. Rituals or other effects that poop out a buncha mana at once to pay for some big effect should, in theory, be an option for overwhelming the cross-country midrange player with a mean sprint straight for the dome. I think in the same way aggro is said to keep control players "honest", big single-shot servings of mana should keep midrange players honest.

So I guess that means that combo wins need to be an option in my cube? Or at least, combos that dramatically affect the board state. X spells, as Laz says, but serving not only as turn 7 finishers for ramp folks, but also as turn 4 blitzkriegs for combo folk.

Here are some off-the-wall options for the BG deck; not just Constellation, but expanding it to more of a "fill up your deck (and the battlefield) with permanents". And then probly sac 'em. The opposite of a Prowess deck, sorta.

Are any of these reasonable? A stronger card like Avatar of Woe seems like a great fit, except that the existence of repeatable any-size removal might discourage people from playing big things or investing in levelups/equips/enchants.

And as amazing as Spawning is in Innistrad, I don't think I'll have nearly as much self-mill to support it. But it'll be in BG if it's anywhere. Graveyard themes will be low outside of BG; Ancient Zendikar is flourishing with life, not with the recycled dead.

(Kinda joking but not really)
I have pretty mixed feelings about those, but yeah, they're worth considerin. They work fine for Voice of Resurgence, less so for Roar of the Wurm. I've got 2x intangible virtue in for now.

I put in the prowess dudes, as well as an assortment of lelementeles that I have no strong feelings about yet.
Legion Loyalist
Spitebellows
Smokebraider
Smokebraider
Crater Elemental
Glade Watcher
Flamekin Harbinger
Wolfbriar Elemental
Generator Servant
Phytotitan

Been adding a bunch of stuff all day. Stuff that I'm somewhat confident about: tokens/overrun, constellation, sacrifice cards. Check out the additions or just peep the list!

I haven't committed to a plan for Blue yet. I'm thiiiinking about going gonzo for TOL manipulation. Scry, clash, maybe some of the lower-impact "cast from the top" cards, delver, and maybe a miracle. Then UG will probably be control+huge green things.

Still curious what thoughts people have on the more zany cards I posted earlier. I threw the most appropriate sac-related ones into the cube, but I'm not sure about the rest.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Feedback 101: end on a positive note ;)

I love Hytonia. Add in some other Gorgons/Changelings though to leverage the tribal destruction ability :)

I finally have some cards in the Blue section. I love TOL manipulation! And sphinxies. I'll probably throw in a changeling or two and the "draw cards equal to the number of creatures you control that share a type" card.

BLIBDOOLPOOLP.jpg

Let me know if there are any power band outliers that might need to be trimmed in towards the middle of the pack. I haven't played with most of these blue cards.

I'll maybe tackle a Gorgon update next.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
!

Delve spells interact well with both sphinxes (draw, discard) and clash (expensive casting cost on the card). I would definitely include some.

Consecrated Sphinx is definitely a power outlier by the way. There are EDH players who decline to play it because it's so filthy.

Sweet, I threw most of those in along with a slime and a Vanishment.

Consecrated looked a little nutty to me. But then I was like "6 cmc is supposed to threaten to win the game, right?" Arbiter Of is so much more interesting though. Fix accepted.

On the topic of powerlevel, isn't Treasure Cruise banned in like, everything ever?

One thing I been wondering about is gods. Gods seem like they might be a flavor fail in a set that purports to be Ancient Zendikar. But re-read that last sentence - I said set, and this isn't a set, it's a cube! Putting in the BG, UG, WG, and RG gods from theros might help a lot with nudging players in the right directions. Then again maybe that's too forceful of a nudge! And what are gods doing on zendikar anyways?

Thinking about revisiting green or bulking out red some next.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
I theory-crafted up a goblin cube, which was heavily red. It hard to find that fine line where you get people playing the same colour but have enough differences to have defined archetypes and not have people fighting over the same cards.
As you can probably tell by the train-wreck of that cube, I had no idea what I was doing when I first made it, it was just on a whim, but it was a great exercise in colour skewed cubes.

You can see my red (including gold) takes up almost 50% of the cube. I wanted people to see the large amounts of red in each pack. If you go down to 33% (Which is still a large portion of a cube for 1 colour mind you), drafters have the opportunity to not go your focussed colour. This may not be an issue, but in my cube I wanted everyone to have at least 5 cards that were goblin themed in their decks and it seems to work alright.

Also, colour skewed cubes allow you to put hate in for that colour without it feeling too mean, as it isn't the incidental hate like Mirran Crusader is in legacy cube that can shut out the poor person who drafted that sweet GB deck. Incidentally I have an EDH deck, called 'Dromar Hates Green' that fit into this very 'theme'.

Also, because hilarious and green-esqe :p: