General Good cards you don't run because they are ugly

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm a big fan of adding a white bordered card here and there so I can feel like I'm supporting the idea of "cube as a history of magic."
https://xkcd.com/566/

The bottom one seems appropriate here :p

Like, literally every white-bordered card was printed with a black border at some point. Of course, some of those black bordered versions are unaffordable nowadays...

I also am a huge fan of diversity in the cards I present in my cube. You can call us "heathens" all you want, but there are some white border cards that look absolutely fantastic. You can pry the white-bordered wrath of god from my cold, dead hands
http%3A%2F%2Fassets.dacw.co%2Fitemimages%2F8th-wrath-god.jpg

There really is something special about those iconic cards. It's like you can almost smell the booster-fresh smell from opening a new pack.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In all fairness, I don't really mind the white border, it's just that my minor compulsive disorder obsessive tendencies make me want to have as uniform a cube as possible. I'm not one to exclude cards because they're the wrong frame, but I did order the Elves vs. Inventors Pia and Kiran Nalaar because it has the new legendary frame ;) Way back when commander wasn't a thing and we simply played some wholesome 60-card casual multiplayer, I did own a mono black deck with only white bordered cards (yes, including the Swamps)!

Goodness gracious, I just realized this year marks my 20 year MtG addiction anniversary o_O

I used to hate white border cards, but as I've gotten a bit older I now really appreciate some of them.

Revised cards in particular. They are sort of washed out a bit and it makes them look older than they are. And with certain spells - particularly stuff that is clearly OP - it just adds flavor. Like my revised demonic tutor... it's like this ancient spell that no modern spell book would contain. This is magic no longer taught. But here is an ancient scroll with this super powerful spell on it. Same thing with my revised Dark Ritual... back before the oppression of the NWO you could cast a T1 Hypnotic Specter (or so the wise old sage says).

I also am a huge fan of diversity in the cards I present in my cube. You can call us "heathens" all you want, but there are some white border cards that look absolutely fantastic. You can pry the white-bordered wrath of god from my cold, dead hands
http%3A%2F%2Fassets.dacw.co%2Fitemimages%2F8th-wrath-god.jpg

The 8th edition symbol too...

giphy.gif

I used to hate white border cards, but as I've gotten a bit older I now really appreciate some of them.

Revised cards in particular. They are sort of washed out a bit and it makes them look older than they are. And with certain spells - particularly stuff that is clearly OP - it just adds flavor. Like my revised demonic tutor... it's like this ancient spell that no modern spell book would contain. This is magic no longer taught. But here is an ancient scroll with this super powerful spell on it. Same thing with my revised Dark Ritual... back before the oppression of the NWO you could cast a T1 Hypnotic Specter (or so the wise old sage says).

Sh.t

I might have to change my Judge foil Demonic Tutor for an ancient one now.. Damn you

Ok granted that this is a goofball idea but, is Hypnotic Spectre game ruining garbage? I've been feeling more intrigued to run 'classic' card suites in a cube rebuild lately (such as the cycle of powerful 2/1 for two like snapcaster and dark confidant), so I could probably be persuaded to run both a white boarded rituals and specter.. or will I lose friends?

Hypnotic Spectre is not game ruining garbage at all! It's a very nice card whcih I'm actually very fond on in a "modern" environment. Keep in mind that by the time he attacks the opponent will have played some lands and will be able to answer him. And if he doesn't, well, he'll suffer but he'll keep playing. At worst it causes yout opponent to go into topdeck mode, which is workable and doesn't undo the work he has done. The 1UB "play one card from the opponent's deck" guy in Guilds of Ravnica is far, far worse than Hippie is.

A first turn Spectre from Dark Ritual can happen, but it's unlikely and not overpowering. You can get rid of him with any removal spell and you'll have some at the beginning of the game. He's nice, but not GRBS at all.

Comparing 8E and M19 symbols is like comparing two sides of a sandwich that's been run over by a car. Twice. The only "core set" symbols that I actually like are 7th, Tenth and Origins I suppose.

Well I lke the 8e/9e symbols, they're very core set-y by shwocasing cards, they're much more decent and elegant and they still have a mtg feeling to them, whereas the newest version of core set symbol looks too fat and too sterile imo.

Ok granted that this is a goofball idea but, is Hypnotic Spectre game ruining garbage? I've been feeling more intrigued to run 'classic' card suites in a cube rebuild lately (such as the cycle of powerful 2/1 for two like snapcaster and dark confidant), so I could probably be persuaded to run both a white boarded rituals and specter.. or will I lose friends?

I tend to run slightly higher power cubes than most Riptide lists, but IMO Hippie is not OP in today's version of Magic even for lower powered lists. You could Penny cube it easily (though it has no real synergy with either list so wouldn't fit thematically).

With my regular group gone, I now just play a few times a year with 2-3 people. So I've abandoned my more ambitious cube projects for now. I built a small mostly PowerMax list to play with that still has a lot of the cool synergy cards that I enjoy while providing nostalgia for those who used to play magic (cards like Hippie) and some obvious power cards for the casuals that gravitate towards goodstuff decks. Still Planeswalker free of course, because that is still a stupid card type. IMO. ;)

Cube is badass enough to where it's really hard to screw up a list so badly that you end up not having fun playing it. I would definitely not worry about adding some bombs even if you think Hippie is too powerful. They aren't going to break your cubing experience and they will help make drafting easier for those who don't intimately know your list.

New is hands down better in every way except maybe the frame.

I find this card art to be incredibly ugly:

...Which is a shame, because I actually like the way this card plays a lot.

I wish she had this art:
Image.ashx

I don't like this card at all, but the art is superior.

Can you use this art?

Liliana.jpg

It is not a fan art but an artwork painted by the original artist as a tribute to the card during its release. He just wanted to paint her in two different ways. The original is copy-righted by Wizards and the second by Steve Argyle.