Card/Deck Green Aggro

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'll admit white certainly has it's glut. Elspeth, Ajani, x2 Armageddon, Wrath/Day...

I've always found the creatures to be more interchangeable, since bloody nothing emulates walkers or Armageddon, but the exact difference between hero of bladehold and emeria angel is by inches at best.
Blue seems to have a lot more variety in what it's 4's want to do (Cryptic Command, Control Magic, Fact or Fiction, Oppisition, Jace TMS etc) which makes my cuts all the more painful

CML

Contributor
cut gifts / da / cc / foresee / control magic / dungeon geists for these reasons

gifts -- getting cards 3/4 is kinda lame when you can't draw 1/2 anymore (i really wanted gifts to work in my cube, maybe it still can and i'm just being dumb, but players better than me incl. one who now designs kaijudo at wizards said so)
deep analysis -- it was bad
cc / foresee -- they were worse
control magic -- only need so many of these, sower and threads are my preferences for being more interactive / more conditional
dungeon geists -- meh

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I went to Google for ideas, doing a search on "green aggro cube". Guess where the first link led me? Yeah.

Green aggro isn't really working out the way I'm hoping in my own cube, so I've been brainstorming (very bad) ideas all week. I'm now up to Dumb Idea #X: Token Overrun. Granted, it's as much a midrange deck as it is an attacking deck. But I think it's more interesting than the usual midrangy three-mana hurf durf do nothings.

Token producers

Finishers

Is this remotely viable? Or just a pipe dream?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm cautiously optimistic for this archetype, because while you can put the blinders on and build it mono-green, I'm hoping it will synergize naturally with the other colours.

White has its own token makers and pump effects to offer.

Red has some sacrifice outlets, and can potentially get in on the token party if it's invited.

Like Jason mentions, black has plenty of sacrifice effects to peruse, and loves more bodies.

Blue.. hmmmm. Blue does have card selection. Overrun decks by their nature are midrange + combo, so looting for the right mix of effects could be useful.

Who knows, it could still very easily be a bust. But not for lack of trying!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of these things are already implemented in the Eldrazi Domain cube, so maybe that's a point of reference?

If you're putting Imperious Perfect, check how many elves you have and see if Elvish Archdruid can make the cut.

I'm looking at your list and i see Bitterblossom and Zealous Persecution, which were 2 big parts of the lrw-10th-ala standard bw tokens deck (neat). It isn't a green card, but Windbrisk Heights was a big part of what made that token deck tick.

Jade Mage has been okay in my list, one player picks it very highly and loves the card. He hasn't won yet though.

Empty the Warrens is the one storm card I'm fine with running without support for a dedicated storm archetype because just hitting 4 or 6 tokens makes it worth it (at least in my cube) and it isn't hard, and sometimes you can get a lot more than that.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
A lot of these things are already implemented in the Eldrazi Domain cube, so maybe that's a point of reference?

GRRR IS THERE ANY CUBE PROBLEM YOU HAVEN'T SOLVED ALREADY LEAVE SOME FOR THE REST OF US

But in all honesty.. I'd forgotten you'd done something similar with the Eldrazi Spawn theme in your secondary cube. I'll go take a peek.

If you're putting Imperious Perfect, check how many elves you have and see if Elvish Archdruid can make the cut.

I'm looking at your list and i see Bitterblossom and Zealous Persecution, which were 2 big parts of the lrw-10th-ala standard bw tokens deck (neat). It isn't a green card, but Windbrisk Heights was a big part of what made that token deck tick.

Jade Mage has been okay in my list, one player picks it very highly and loves the card. He hasn't won yet though.

Empty the Warrens is the one storm card I'm fine with running without support for a dedicated storm archetype because just hitting 4 or 6 tokens makes it worth it (at least in my cube) and it isn't hard, and sometimes you can get a lot more than that.

Some great ideas! Along with the Archdruid, I was wondering if Ezuri could cut the mustard. I like the built-in Overrun effect he provides. My main issue with elves as a tribe is that they're pretty much solely restricted to green, so that puts a hard boundary on the amount of creativity a drafter would need to put the deck together.

Windbrisk Heights is an awesome suggestion, and it's actually in my utility list already (as is Khalni Garden). One land that might get incidentally better with more token support is Kher Keep. Okay, maybe it's a stretch, but there have been worse ideas.

I don't like Jade Mage very much, because costing three mana to activate is a big hindrance to your board development. I'm hoping that more expensive creatures that continually produce cheap or free tokens - hello, Creakwood Liege! - fit the bill better.

Empty the Warrens is a good call, even when storm isn't officially supported. I'm already running Gut Shot and Gitaxian Probe, so four tokens seems trivial, and six bodies isn't an unreasonable goal. I'll stash this one on the back burner.