General Green four drop creatures

It seems to me green four drops are less defined than they are in other colours. What are you running? Which ones do you like and which ones you don't?

I must admit, this is a section of the card pool I'm very ignorant about. I like Vinecrasher and I'm trying out Vengeive but I'm less sold on the rest. Whisperer is fun, though.

What are your picks?

Ripjaw Raptor
Polukranos
Master of the Wild Hunt
Bramble Sovereign

I haven't even played with all of them yet, though...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm very happy I managed to get Briarhorn back into my cube. It's surprisingly excellent. At worst it's a 6/6 blocker that leaves behind a 3/3 for future turns, but it can also act as a pseudo-haste by buffing an unblocked creature, or buff a blocked creature to completely turn around combat. Of course it gains additional bonuses in my cube for being an Elemental (relevant in Temur) and synergizing with both Yarok, the Desecrator and Muldrotha, the Gravetide. Briarhorn has never disappointed me, even when I played him in cubes with less synergies.

Another one I like is Temur Sabertooth. Can crash in without fear, and can rebuy those etb effects. After playing with both, I personally like it a tiny bit better than Bramble Sovereign, but ymmv. PS Killer combo with Mystic Snake in the late game.

Not really a 4-drop, but I do run it in that slot, is my final suggestion: Voracious Hydra. This is just a wonderfully flexible card that is often great as a 4/5 trample for 2GG, but offers other, better options down the line, and can also double as a sniper for utility creatures. Great card for ramp decks as well.

Other than those three, I also run Vengevine and Ripjaw Raptor, both of which I adore for different reasons. Vengevine is great with graveyard shenanigans, or simply as removal insurance. Great beatdown card as well. Ripjaw requires a density of fight cards and/or other ways to damage him to really take of. I run Pyrohemia, for example, and I run actual fight cards exclusively in green, over options like Clear Shot, which is a fine card, but doesn't trigger enrage. The RG Dino deck is fun to play, and this is a clear reward card for that deck.

Green 4-drops is pretty busy in my cube. As you might know, it's lower power than most, and slow tempo.

Cards I have run for a while

Briarhorn is awesome. Great for the flash deck, but playable in any green deck. A rare good combat trick, lots of room for skillful play. Highly recommended.

Blastoderm is inconsistent. It's there as a midrange beater and counters payoff. It's bad when it gets stalled, but good because it's very hard to get rid of, especially as a blocker against aggro.

Penumbra Spider is kind of boring, but because green needs so badly the defense against small fliers it has some stellar games. Great ground blocker too, but awful attacker. I like it in any control deck using green, especially RG Enrage.

Ripjaw Raptor also excels in Enrage, but is decent in pretty much in any deck. Being 4/5 instead of 5/5 is a larger issue than it looks, since it plain loses combat to 5/5s.

Vital Splicer is good in Blink, Tokens, and a reason to go into Golems. It suffers from the fact that Golems and artifacts aren't really green decks, so it is somewhat of a trap, especially for the latter. The card is fine in most green decks, though, especially slow ones. Regeneration for 1 mana is no joke.

Cards I am testing

Nightpack Ambusher I have played once with and it was cut from the deck. It had no synergy with the rest of the deck (RG Sacrifice) and did not work at all - I always wanted to play the card, not get a wolf! I thought it might be GRBS, but did not seem so at all. Still, it should be a cornerstone of UG Flash.

Dwynen, Gilt-Leaf Daen is being tested as an Elves payoff and fills the role of defense vs fliers. I don't think decks will play it apart from Elves, but I'm fine with that.

Immaculate Magistrate is being tested also as an Elves payoff, but also as a long-term payoff. The cube is fairly slow, so I think this might be good, but haven't seen it in action.

World Shaper is here for UBG Graveyard, but hasn't seen play yet either.

It seems to me green four drops are less defined than they are in other colours. What are you running? Which ones do you like and which ones you don't?

I must admit, this is a section of the card pool I'm very ignorant about. I like Vinecrasher and I'm trying out Vengeive but I'm less sold on the rest. Whisperer is fun, though.

What are your picks?

First- let's examine the role of 4-drop green creatures in the cube.

Green's primary strengths are the abilities to accelerate mana quicker and play higher quality creatures than any other color until the late game. A green deck, as such, is either trying to ramp or use big green guys to top a mana curve. Some green decks only use green utility creatures such as Fauna Shaman and Ramunap Excavator, but these guys have little to do with the 4-mana slot.

Green 4's are usually going to be the first true "fatties" played during the game. As such, they should generally be on rate or bigger than the other 4-mana creatures in the cube with little exception. This way, you can allow for ramp decks that are only trying to accelerate early instead of all throughout the game. Being able to go 4-drop 5-drop 6-drop a turn earlier than the opponent can often be just as good as 5-drop 6-drop 7-drop if the 4 drop is good enough.

Let's examine each of the 4-drops you placed in front of us and discuss a couple others you missed.
Beast Whisperer- Only some decks want this. The "Elf Ball" decks in which something like this would truly shine take up a lot of space in the cube and usually aren't worth supporting. Although this can be used in the mid game of some ramp decks to turn mana dorks into cantrips, it's usually just better to run a beefy creature in this slot.

Bramble Sovereign- Cultic Cube did a great video about this card. It's a good option for ramp decks, but also any green deck trying to go wide, such as G/W Hatebears.

Centaur Vinecrasher- You need a lot of support for the "lands" archetype for this guy to truly shine, but I can see him being good in some decks. This card is fairly narrow in a fetchland-free environment, but is barely playable otherwise. It's very bad without support.

Vengevine- The calculus on this card is simple. If your cube has decks which will be casting 2 or more creature spells per turn, play it, otherwise, don't. Vengevine is only explosively good in modern because of the plethora of 1 and 2 cost creatures which can both be used to get Vengvines in the yard and get it back into play.

Master of the Wild Hunt-This card was a cube staple when it was first printed, but now adays I feel like it's just a slower Polukranos, World Eater. Sure, you can theoretically re-use if it doesn't die to removal, but ultimately I don't think it's fast enough to justify inclusion in most modern cubes. Green 4s have evolved past it I would say.

Oracle of Mul Daya-unless your green decks are trying to hardcast 15 mana eldrazi like Emrakul, the Aeons torn, there is no point in running the oracle. This card's place on the mana curve means that it can't be slotted into decks that aren't dedicated to ramping, but it doesn't come down until turn 4 without other support. Being able to play an extra land every turn is nice, but most decks can't use this ability to it's fullest extent. It has fun applications with Experimental Frenzy, but that's the only place this belongs other than eldrazi ramp. Oracle of Mul Daya doesn't bring anything to the table that traditional creature and enchantment-based ramp can't handle. If you're not trying to ramp above 8 mana, don't run this card.

Polukranos, World Eater- This is my favorite green 4-drop. It can come down early in any deck running a 1 or 2 mana mana dork, it has an above-curve body, and it can act as a pseudo-board wipe in the late game. Although Polukranos gets worse in extremely high powered environments, he's still a reasonable pick even in Vintage cubes. Love your Polukranos and never let it go.

Thrun, the Last Troll- This card is un-interactive and just generally un-fun to play against. The only way to beat this card seems to be a Wrath of God effect. Although Thrun acts as a counter to control decks, "needing" to include this card is less of a sign that green needs a buff and more of a sign that control needs a nerf.

Here are some good cards you missed:

Chameleon Colossus- The classic green 4-drop and the God Father to all modern green 4s. I like this card for it's protection from Terror and other black-based removal.

Ripjaw Raptor-This card is so underrated it's not even funny. It's a card that aggressive decks can make use of due to it's stats and built-in card advantage, and something ramp decks are ok with lying down as a stonewall to aggro. Most red aggro decks can't beat this without dealing damage to it at least twice, meaning you get to draw two cards.

Voracious Hydra- I'm counting this as a 4-drop because that's the place it will be most likely played in the absence of it's fight effect being used. It plays somewhat similarly to the Territorial Allosaurus except you trade a little size for flexibility. At 4 mana, this is either a 4/5 or a 2/3 that kills their Dark Confidant when you play it. However, it comes with the ability to be scaled. For 7 mana, you get a 5/6 with a fight effect, which is very good.

Nightpack Ambusher- The sole reason Wolf Tribal has existed as a viable standard deck in the last 5 years. You can play this card on your opponents turn, and then just make free wolves whenever you don't cast a spell in a turn. This card's only downside is that it is only exceptional in U/G flash strategies, but that's not a bad thing at all- it signals an archetype without actually needing to be played in that deck.

Green 4s are probably my favorite section in the cube to build with and talk about. There are so many fun options- but some are better than others. There are a ton of great cards that I didn't even mention today- Shifting Ceratops, Territorial Allosaurus, Nylea, God of the Hunt, Questing Beast, Elvish Piper... the list goes on and on. Ultimately, just pick the cards that you think are the most fun to play, with the understanding that there are always 20 other equally viable options waiting in the wings if something doesn't work out.

Is also a decent 4 drop that can give you some removal protection (spreading into 2 bodies) as well as some random token or spell synergies. It is probably a little underpowered compared to the other options listed though.

Don't get distracted by the food flavour text, it's a green Nekrataal (that can hit more creatures than Nekrataal in my cube).

When you have literal 14 year olds in your playgroup sometimes you have to ignore cards with flavor text and just be blunt :rolleyes:

You're right about this card though. It is way better than it looks, even without the foodstuffs.