General [GRN] Guilds of Ravnica

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, you may have convinced me to make the swap. I have been powering blue's card advantage suite significantly recently, and have been enjoying Frantic Search a lot more than I ever did Compulsive Research (even though Compulsive is a great draw option).

Just to be clear, I really like Chart, and would understand if you kept that in. They are both fun interactive cards that create incentives for different things. It just depends on what the cube needs more.

I1wWJ0u.png

sure seems like a spicy pepperoni

Liches (Lichs? Lichen?) are always so cool. A fomat witha strong focus on liches, wizards, shamans, magi, etc with a strong baneslayer rather than mulldrifter (no or few ETB) emphasis would be kind of neat.

vjguaKj.png

Depending on the Curve of a "Spells" type deck in a given format, this seems really good? Geart blocking body, and flying tokens are the Bees Knees. See:

That's the way I see it. The body can be much more useful for this kind of deck. A slower spells deck doesn't really need to blast out 2/2's off of an abysmal non-etb body.

B471oE9.png

Same old story with the draws and the pings but with almost-Cruel mana.

u1uQ3Ul.png

The rare split cards seems pushed. They seem super nice with the instant -> sorcery and hybrid -> multicolor. A lot of diversity.

eX4nT5P.png

New Niv looks cool.

The split cards are pushed, but I can't stand how ugly they are. And my biggest fear is, with all that hybrids halfs, that we will not get our expected 30 hybrids from these two sets. I mean actual hybrids, that play (more or less) completely the same, when you're in either color and not both.

New Niv looks cool.

The split cards are pushed, but I can't stand how ugly they are. And my biggest fear is, with all that hybrids halfs, that we will not get our expected 30 hybrids from these two sets. I mean actual hybrids, that play (more or less) completely the same, when you're in either color and not both.

I mean of course. They will have to do something new every time we visit a plane.

Edit: They will have to do somethign new every time we visit a plane so that it is not just more of the same. The whole game is build upon change so change will happen every time we revisit a plane. For reference see Zendikar -> Battle for Zendikar, Innistrad -> Shadows over Innistrad and Ravnica: City of Guilds -> Return to Ravnica.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Split cards are a-w-e-s-o-m-e! I don't care that they're ugly if they are a blast to play with! Now show me the ones I can actually run in my cube!

Same old story with the draws and the pings but with almost-Cruel mana.

There's nothing "almost" cruel about that mana cost o_O

Also...

e7YxQ1N.png

(holy shit that flavor)

uwtjlx9.png

I mean of course. They will have to do something new every time we visit a plane.

Edit: They will have to do somethign new every time we visit a plane so that it is not just more of the same. The whole game is build upon change so change will happen every time we revisit a plane. For reference see Zendikar -> Battle for Zendikar, Innistrad -> Shadows over Innistrad and Ravnica: City of Guilds -> Return to Ravnica.

Hey, I am totally cool with them doing new stuff! I just want new hybrids, cause I run a hybrid section, and there are not many to choose from.

extremely good card is obviously extremely good, but I really like it for Cube, too. Splash hate on problem lands, enchantments, etc. while reducing non-games due to screw. I don't see any of us cutting Abrupt Decay, but if you're still playing Putrefy this seems like it does more for your format.

Yeah that looks like evidence that WOTC is upping common complexity a bit; the State of Design article earlier in the thread (I think?) mentioned that they regretted the extreme simplicity of Ixalan and wanted to swing it back a bit. Hopefully this is the first set coming out of the tubes with more complex design. I'm hoping for not only neat cube cards (especially more complex yet low-powered commons/uncommons) but some goodies for Pauper as well!

I'm not sure if this guy is good enough for my cube, but if they don't give me another homerun, I'm gonna test him out. Dimir is the one of 2 guilds I don't really have a hybrid for (Nightveil Specter acts more like a gold card with that cost), so I'm probably moving this to gold and try the Agent.

I mean, it works as ambush removal, it sets up a good draw and/or fuels your graveyard, and a control deck can just hold back mana and cast him eot when they had no need to spend their sorces to counter, bounce or destroy something. Not super powerful, but flexibility could make up for it.

Also, I am ALL OVER that art/flavour. This is everything I missed from most Dimir cards in Ravnica 2.