Guild's Path

I've scrapped my ravnica cube.

As some of you might know or have guessed, I started playing the best game ever aka Magic: the Gathering when the original Ravnica block came out. And I still love it and I get that warm, fuzzy feeling of pacifism nostalgia just by looking at the cards. However, the 11-year-old ravnic didn't know about prereleases or limited in general, but instead he made very flavorful casual decks for most of the guilds and played with those against his friends.

For quite some time now I tried to somehow form a limited experience that recreates the feeling and gameplay of these days. However, a cube didn't work out, due to the high number of gold cards leading to 3+ colors, usually. Even my latest iteration with only 5 rotating guilds in a draft pool wasn't quite it. But then, a different idea evolved inside my head.

Back then we played with flavorful guild decks crafted from our limited card pools (we were kids with very little access to money and the internet). And then we tried to improve our decks. So how do duplicate that situation?

My answer: I crafted 100-card sealed pools from the Ravnica block's cards for each guild. They each contain of 60 commons (20×3), 32 uncommons (16×2) and 8 rares. I also tried my very best to balance them in removal density and overall power level.

Here are the lists:

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/guildspath

From these pools, both (theoretically it could also be played with more) players get only 30 cards initially. Because of a high variance in power level (Lightning Helix and War-Torch Goblin are both in the Boros pack) the initial decks players can then build from these 30 cards will have room to improve. And that's when these become relevant:

Build up a Defense.jpgEmbrace your Guild.jpgExploit your powers.jpgFocus your Skills.jpgGather your Troops.jpgGo on the Offense.jpgIncreasing Investments.jpg
(I'll post the other 7 in the next post)

Prior to the deck building process, one of these quest cards will be chosen at random. They don't impact the game directly, but they might impact your deckbuilding choices quite a lot, especially in the early rounds.To make luck matter less, winning a gane will give you an increasing amount of points:

Round 1 -> 1 point
Round 2 -> 2 point
Round 3 -> 3 point
... and so on.

For two players, depending on the time you want to spend, 5 or 7 rounds seem like a good number. For the final game, there won't be a quest.

I only got one actual play test done, and it went even better than I was hoping for! For me it really captured the feeling of old times. And the balanced and synergistic card pools in conjuction with the "level up" system, which almost gave it a RPG feeling, made for a great experience for my buddy as well. And he started later with Innistrad, so he did have no nostalgia bonus at all!

You obviously can't draft it on CC, but I thought it might inspire someone, so I figured I'll share it with you :)

so at the end of the round, you get however many cards from your pile that are on the card counter? Does each player have a quest, or are the quests global?

so at the end of the round, you get however many cards from your pile that are on the card counter? Does each player have a quest, or are the quests global?
Exactly.
So far my plan has been to use a global quest, and that's how we did it in the first test run. I think it reduces the complexity, since you also sometimes care about your opponent's quest. When we had revealed "Exploit your powers" in round 2, my buddy used his removal on creatures I played with activated abilities more generously.

Of course some guilds are better at fulfilling certain quests, but the way I designed the quests, the discrepancy won't be too large. In testing it was between 4 minimum and 12 maximum. Also, a little luck is part of this card game anyway :)

Can't you game the system by using a stall of a winning position to get a lot of cards in an earlier round to get a big advantage in later rounds?

Hm, I'm not sure. This hasn't come up in the one test I was able to play out so far. If this becomes an issue with some specific or even all quests, I would have to set an upper limit to each quest, so players wouldn't go on forever doing this. But maybe the option to concede will do the trick? I'm not sure yet. Time will tell.

Might I suggest some changes to your layout?

I don’t think you should write out “Your card count starts at X”

Instead I would add a planeswalker loyalty counter number at the bottom right (or some other layout you better like) In this way the players will only have to read that number. The cards will look cleaner and easier to understand.

I also think you can work on the wording of the growth-abilities. Maybe just write (+2) and then the requirement. Or the requirement first and then a +2 or something. You could also use the planeswalker template.