HannesVersmissen's Cube [construction]

after the novice cube, and my foray into wicked artifacts and multiples, i deconstructed the artifact cube. as of late i kinda feel like it's time to make something actually decent. i'm going to start from "fun" as the main driving force in the entirety of the cube eperience, no other drawbacks wath so ever. it shouldn't become too expensive though, so i'll try to keep the amount of "over 10€" cards down to a minimum, and'll vow to not foil this thing out before it reaches the age of 52 weeks.

okay, lets kick things of with some cards i've been gathering in my binder, and cards i'd like to play alongside those cards.

Ranger of Eos: I love this card, and never get to play with it. ever. i ow a copy, i had it in my cube several times, never got to draft it for myself, and only was able to cast it once in an old commander deck of mine. (i ran it 3 months and played about 5 to 10 games per week? pretty frustrating)

i'd like to combine it with

coming from a human theme ( i'd prefer a subtle one over a strong one) i'd bring in Mentor of the meek and blade splicer, maybe knight of the white orchid. they all care about etb triggers, dragging superstar restoration angel and the cool kids flickerform and dust elemental along. i like silverblade paladin here as well these are pretty recent cards though, and i might need a hint or a nod for some older cards. might be looking into veteran explorer though.

for blue i just have some random cards on my wishlist

i personally find opposition fun, but i'll leave it on the sidelines for now. Mindshrieker is a card i like to play, and it presents so great gambles. might be a reason to bring jace, the mind sculptor in as a proxy, and pull out a copy of sensei's divining top. i'm looking at a copy of intet, the dreamer as well then, alongside heretic's punishment and some bombs/topmanipulation cheats. polymorph ? i'm thinking about the options presented by conundrum sphinx and duskmantle seer as well. (all of the 4-drops!)

by this point i'll need some decent aggro, wich i'll stereotypically place in the hands of white and red, but that's okay. black might get a tertiary part of the agro-pie in the form of some black beaters and some hybrids (ashenmoor liege, thanks cml)

as for black' s actual identity i don't have a clue. i want to shoo away from gravecrawler shenanigan and straight up reanimator. some disciple of bolas meets thragtusk shenanigans look really intresting but might be way too durdely. i picked up an ophiomancer though, and i'm pretty sure it's going in.

red'll get it's straight up agro shtick, but sprinkled with elementals, etb effects and some crossover support. the other decks will want some of the cards they play and want. devotion, creature type, utility abilities will play into that most likely.

for green i'm thinking this:
the disciple is to stand next to thragtusk as ruler of mortal (non-life-gaining) opponents. again i have suspicions of this being to durdely midrange though.

for the multicolor gimmick, i feel like sprinkeling in three good-stuff targets, namely:

they areeasy to splash once you are in two of the colors, and great fun to play as the usually only step out of the shadows for a game of commander. karador, ghost chieftain feels like a similar card to me. none of the UBG cards feel worth playing though, and i'll keep it that way i think.

i'm gonna wrap up my little think-thank for now, and will be eagerly awaiting merciless feedback.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I used to run Shizuko and I loved that stupid card. The only fair way to ramp yourself that hard is to let your opponent do it first. On this route, I highly recommend Magus of the Vineyard and Eldamari's Vineyard for an awesome high risk ramp subtheme. The interaction with green devotion is awesome, you are making me want to poach from this idea! Get some combination ofpredator ooze, Strangeroot Geist (maybe KalonianTusker) and other good {1}{G}{G} creatures and you're in business. Karametra's Acolyte probably has a place here too.

If you are interested in something for black, I will shamelessly point you to the high synergy, grindy black value section I run. The key concepts are recursion loops and lifegain -> life payment. The vampire mini-theme is solely to support the amazing Kalastria Highborn, but you could go deeper with it and it wouldn't be terrible.

For your topdeck manipulation, Riptide Shapeshifter, Sphinx of Jwar Isle and Future Sight spring into my mind, but I've never really thought about this as a theme, so I'm sure there are others. Conundrum Sphinx is pretty much the ideal card you want here, great baseline and a synergistic ability. You could go silverbordered with Mise, that would be a bomby play.

Are you pushing monocolor and multicolor at the same time???

i expect it to work out with a high density of fixing and a decent amount of incentive "mono" cards. also trying to push it in a direction where both mono and multi are viable options. flexible cards like boggart ram gang and wiltliefe liege can end up in either type of deck, and "mono green with a double splash" or similar decks should be able to emerge. it'll be more about the flexibility of the format giving players a lot of diffrent options. i think every card except for some of the "anchor" cards should be viable in about 2 to 4 diffrent types of decks.

if one or two players dedicate to mono, one or two players will be able to get a higher rate of fixing in their decks, making them anle to go multi. at the same time they still are fighting over hybrids, utility, removal and artifacts in the draft.

these might make a nice deck ? i can see all of them being used outside of this setup, and the interactions proposed by this set of cards look pretty decent ! rewind might be a card i want to have close to this. izzet chronarch/numot and roon are mutually exclusive most likely (i hope they are actually)

next up some more support for the mono/multi thing, with an anchor card in lost in the woods, giving a mono-green deck the option togo sideways and all in withouth being overly fearfull for the recoil

giving a mono-green deck the option togo sideways and all in withouth being overly fearfull for the recoil

Having to trigger LitW for each individual creature sounds awful though, why not just playFog or a variant? Also spawnwrithe never met with any success in my list, he generally comes down too late and is too small.

Spawnwrithe has been working out in my list, but it needs to come out on turn two, and preferrably get a rancor or instant pump on it.

Having to trigger LitW for each individual creature sounds awful though, why not just playFog or a variant? Also spawnwrithe never met with any success in my list, he generally comes down too late and is too small.

Is constant mists any good ? (seriously though, is moment's peace the only decent fog in cube or are there fogs i missed out on ?)

Is avatar of discord just there to trigger morbid? :p

you saw right through it ! your amazing jason ;) it's there for value reanimator / devotion themes though.
spawnwright turn two seems to be quite doable for now.

why would you consider constant mists holy shit

no its not good but its good enough to ruin a lot of people's days while not being good

why would you consider constant mists holy shit

no its not good but its good enough to ruin a lot of people's days while not being good

I know how shitty the card is to play against. i'm just kind of looking for a very good fog with some kind of permanence. (somewhere between lost in the woods and constant mists)

im okay with this
but also not okay at all
haha.
the closest thing i can think of thats fun is tamiyo

he mentioned that

moments peace is a little less permanent, but it think it's okay to run this one instead of lost in the woods. it doesn't grant the same push to devotion, but it's so much less of a hassle it's worth it.

next up: i'm almost over the white section and how it ties into the other colors, so i'll go into that soon.