General Hollywood Squares

VibeBox

Contributor
the last few days my room mates and i have been playing a new format we call hollywood squares. it's a hybrid of grid drafting and auction, and it scales very well as the rules are the same no matter the number of players.

start with a pool of ~35 cards per player. (that number isn't certain, we've played with several. needs more testing to get nailed down)
each player starts with 100 points.
roll/rps/whatevs to see who is first and proceed clockwise
lay out a 3x3 grid just as though you were going to grid draft.
on your turn you nominate any of the 9 currently face up cards. that card is now the card up for auction and you have the right place a starting bid. (if a player has any points the starting bid must be at least 1)
bidding continues until no player wishes to make another bid, at which the high bid is the winner. the player with the high bid takes the card and replaces it with a new card from the pool.
the turn is then passed to the next player who nominates a card.

in the event that a player runs out of points, they still retain their turn to nominate but the starting bid is considered to be zero, and any bid will win over the active player.
when the pool is empty, build and shuffle

i already like it better than auction because auction can be too difficult for less skilled players since there is only one card available at a time. this leads them to get jumpy and bored, wasting time and points on cards they'll never play. HWS lets them look at 8 other cards and think ahead about what they want while two other players are bidding over a card unrelated to their deck.
i think it retains most of the depth of auction while mimicking the "gui" of gridding.

hope some of you will try it out and post feedback. i know i'll be playing this from time to time when i'm in the dreaded 2-4 player zone.

Interesting! My concern is that it would take a long time auctioning only one card at a time. I think we do our auction drafts in lots of seven cards, to speed things up.

Why are things set up as 3x3? The pattern isn't actually important, is it? Do you auction all nine cards before drawing nine more? One possibility (if you like stronger decks) is to only draft the first 2/3rds of each grid, so folks have to make a real decision about what cards to start auctioning. (As it stands, you can be sure every card will come up eventually.)

VibeBox

Contributor
we've been playing it that as each card is selected it is immediately replace, but as dom said if speed is a concern then you could up it to a whole row or columb.
the 3x3 structure is not important otherwise. if you choose to play it one card at a time then it serves only to assist the "hollywood squares" joke name : -)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Speed would also be my biggest concern here. I would also wonder how many players it works best with. With two-players auction mechanics usually don't work well, as there's pretty little actual competition over cards.

Auctions are pretty great ways for handling some sort of jointly-desired resource though. I've seen it used in other games to handle things like "paying victory points to go first".

VibeBox

Contributor
we were trying to capture the feel of fantasy football auctions. it's basically a roto you just take turns nominating. it's the funnest way to fantasy draft and i think the captures the element of strategic nomination well.
yeah, it's not great with 2 though, but i'll still choose it over winston

I came up with a rough idea for a "fantasy football league" version of M:TG that I still haven't had a chance to try out. Rather than post a wall of text, here's a link to the rules.

For your version, here's an idea to speed up drafting. Instead of giving everyone 100 points from the beginning, give out 10 points per grouping of 9 cards. Don't refill spots, just auction off all 9 and then reset with 9 more cards and 10 more points each. This removes the incentive for "hoarding points" and forces you to make tight bidding decisions, as a single point makes up a greater percentage of the potential bids on a given card.

Well, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but I had originally imagined it as a variant on an FLGS league format. So, just draft a number of packs. Since writing that, however, I have become an avid cuber, and imagine that beginning with a subset of the cube and adding more cards each 'season' would work as well.