Site News How To: Riptide Drafts

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
1) Drafting Cards
First, log on to Skype and join the RiptideLab group. I will create a draft on drafts.in and post a link there for everybody to use. Click that link, then set your drafts.in name to your forum name.

Ccfa37a.png

After the draft, you can create your deck in drafts.in.

dD1l4yv.png

In the top corner you can add whatever basic lands you need. Once you are done click the download button to save your deck as a .dec file. Just in case, I recommend keeping the drafts.in window open until you've successfully loaded everything into Cockatrice.

(Note: Cards you put in your drafts.in sideboard will automatically be available to you during sideboarding. I advice adding some basics to your sideboard. Any cards put in "jank" will not be saved in the file)

2) Utility Land Draft
This part will take place in our Skype chat room. I will assign draft pick numbers at this point. I will call the group for an audio call, but the utility land drafting will take place in the text box itself. Please keep the text chat free of chatter during this time. After every 8 picks I will post in the chat the remaining Utility Lands.

3) Build Your Decks
S5PUp9Y.png

In Cockatrice, load the .dec file you added earlier, and manually add whatever Utility Lands you wish to use and save the deck.

4) Setting Up A Match
uFCw5Ia.png

Connect to Cockatrice and head to the chatroom.

w06s9v2.png

Set your filter settings to allow you to see password protected games.

EIWuiQr.png

Create a game name like "riptideA" or "riptideWBR2" or whatever and check the settings above. Set the password to "riptidelab". This will make it easy for us to bird on each other's matches.

5) Playing
Once your opponent has joined your game, set up a Skype voice call between the two of you. This makes it infinitely easier and more enjoyable to play.

Relevant Commands:
Ctrl + I: Roll for initiative
Ctrl + M: Deal your opening hand / mulligan
F2: Concede. This is important. Don't use your MODO muscle memory.

To sideboard, click the button to unlock your sideboard, then click "Ready to Play" once you have made the relevant changes.

6) Tournament Flow
I will post the bracket at the start of the tournament, and it should be pretty self-guided from there. If somebody set up a wiki page with an 8-man bracket that'd be great, but I have no idea how to do that.

Extra: How to Register on Cockatrice
http://www.woogerworks.com/index.php/accountregistration

This allows you to automatically save your replays to your account, and even reconnects you to a game in progress if you disconnect! Please do it!

Nice post of all the relevant things, question though, where the hell do you make an account for cockatrice so that you actually know what user and pass to log in with?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
FMSdp0W.png

There is now a draft recap button, commissioned by yours truly. At the end of your draft, click on that window then highlight and copy all (Ctrl+A -> Ctrl+C) and save it into a text file. That can be used to, say, make a thread or draft report article. We can criticize each other's draft choices.

you can get on woogerworks w/o a registered name but i dont recommend it because if you disconnect you'll lose your game state but its fine if you are registered

i havent tried it but a lot of ppl use challonge.com to do tournament brackets

Haven't tried that one, I've been using some page that I can't find at the moment. It is also possible to use the DCI tournament tracker for everyone.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Extra: How to Register on Cockatrice
http://www.woogerworks.com/index.php/accountregistration

This allows you to automatically save your replays to your account, and even reconnects you to a game in progress if you disconnect! Please do it!

I've made an account, but it didn't look like this. This is actually the third "create account" page I've seen.

Well, ignore me. I did it again on Jason's page and it worked, I guess.

Anybody using Cockatrice on Mac? I can't seem to import cards correctly. None of the online tutorials address my issue (only 1 card being imported???) and the Woogerworks manual only describes the process for PC.

Anybody using Cockatrice on Mac? I can't seem to import cards correctly. None of the online tutorials address my issue (only 1 card being imported???) and the Woogerworks manual only describes the process for PC.
if you can find where it put the cards.xml file you can just download someone else's and replace it. (i have no idea where that is on mac).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ygsa4m9sz8ppx4z/cards.xml here

edit: this is out of date dont use it

Got it to work. Thanks, anotak! Is that the most recent cardlist? It's a smaller file than another one I downloaded somewhere.

Got it to work. Thanks, anotak! Is that the most recent cardlist? It's a smaller file than another one I downloaded somewhere.
its got c13 and all the bng cards as far as i know, maybe its missing something and i havent noticed

CML

Contributor

yeah it's just a pain. run oracle a bunch and then fill in the sets it's missing manually