Hunt the Wumpus (Sudden Death Picocube) (WIP)

Shivan_Wumpus2.jpg
Cube Size: 21
Players: 2

Concept:

Hunt the Wumpus is a two-player Magic minigame you just shuffle up and play.
The goal is to find, resolve, and then swing with the single copy of Shivan Wumpus to instantly win the game.

Rules:
Other than the following, it's a normal game of Magic.
Players start with 5 life, a token copy of each basic land in their command zone, and a token copy of Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds in play.
The library and graveyard are shared between players.
Should the library run out of cards, shuffle the graveyard and turn it over - it becomes the new library.
The library has no lands. You can play the token lands from the command zone as though they were in your hand.
As they are tokens, any land that leaves the battlefield will disappear forever, permanently reducing the maximum mana and number of colours to which you have access.
If a player is ever in a position where they will never have the mana to cast the Wumpus, they lose. (No Mountain? You lose. Don't have access to 4 mana? You lose.)
Testing Rule - Creatures other than the Wumpus cannot attack, nor can they deal combat damage or damage to players.

Design Goals:
Hunt the Wumpus is a mini-project to entertain myself and (eventually) pull out to play with a friend when we're up for Magic but want something immediate.
As a result, it's quite small and kept to a very low budget.
It's also heavily themed around hunting for that one card that can actually end the game - ideally the only creature that can be used to reduce an opponent's life total to 0 is the eponymous Wumpus.
It would be great to keep it singleton, mostly for the design challenge. Likewise, keeping it to (non-UB) MTG cards rather than customs. It's a project and a process.

Gameplay is intended to be a battle for position and a war of attrition. You only get so many mistakes resulting in being forced to sac a land before you're at the minimum number of lands required to resolve a Wumpus yourself.
To enable that jockeying for position and encourage the Hunt for the Wumpus, it should be possible to hold the gamestate in your head and track card locations reasonably accurately.

You should also be able to narrow down the lines of play available to your opponent.
A single basic of each type means you're not going to see two spells of the same colour in the one turn cycle, there's heavy signposting of available lines in which lands you tap to pay for colourless costs, etc, etc.

The 'downside' of Wumpus should act as a sort of "lives remaining", and as you 'lose lives' you should be less free to act - losing access to colours of mana, the ability to resolve a Wumpus with mana up to help it resolve, etc, etc. The token Terramorphic Expanse/Evolving Wilds is a freebie way to stop the first Wumpus, but can also be cashed in to shuffle the deck at any time.

There should be no "objectively correct" choice of basics to sac to the Wumpus. If Forest is always the first to go, I'd rather cut Green entirely than hang onto a bunch of cards that are obviously the least valuable. (I'd also love to be in a position where I felt like cutting cards to substitute other colours was a valid approach but we'll get to that later!)

As such, the list should feature an equal number of cards for each colour, with the possible exception of red. (The Wumpus justifies holding onto the Mountain)

Colours should have an identifiable theme, so that the loss of a colour costs you a kind of effect or way to interact with the Wumpus Hunt.

To cement that war of attrition, there's no way of gaining card advantage - the goal is to not give it up in the first place. If you eat a discard effect or choose to double-spell during a turn cycle, you are down a card in hand until you skip a turn to draw back up naturally.

Despite attrition as a goal, I don't want games to stall - there should be constant jockeying and fighting over hands, deck and graveyard rather than "draw, go" or otherwise repetitive gamestates.

Should never get to a point where the game cannot be won, so no use of the exile zone. Might break this one but probably won't.

I am willing to allow for perfect information to be momentarily possible, as long as there are ways of disrupting that so individual games don't get too solved.

Cards:
This was the hard part.
Like absurdly hard.
Like it's been so so long and I'm still not done.
There are only 20 cards other than the Wumpus in order to select, how hard could it be to find 20 cards?
Here's how hard:

R: (1)
Shivan Wumpus

W: (5)
Oust
Clockwork Drawbridge
Not Forgotten *
Lapse of Certainty
Cathedral Membrane

U: (5)
Brainstorm
Mental Misstep
Dress Down
Memory Lapse
Telling Time

B: (5)
Thoughtseize
Misinformation
Omen of the Dead
Harsh Scrutiny
Infernal Grasp

G: (5)
Noxious Revival
Natural State
Serene Rememberance
Adventure Awaits
Clinging Mists

(0)

There's also an (In-progress) multiplayer module! Its a little heavier on creatures and ways to interact with them, but keeps the Wumpus killing to a minimum.

For each player beyond the 2nd, add 2 cards of each colour from the follwing:

W: (4)
Boon of Safety
Holy Day
Visions
Impeccable Timing

U: (4)
Dazzling Lights
Fading Hope
Curate
Sigiled Starfish

B: (4)
Barrier of Bones
Nameless Inversion
Sinister Starfish
Transmutation

G: (4)
Saruli Caretaker
Once upon a Time
Regrowth
Split the Spoils

(0)

Cards marked with an asterisk have errata as follows:
Not Forgotten - Makes a 0/1 Spirit with flying

There are a few cards I have reservations about.

Oust, Infernal Grasp: Alter life totals and add to the density of ways to deal with a resolved Wumpus. I prefer the Grasp, as it turns the limited available life into a resource to be husbanded. Oust gets rid of the Wumpus and gifts life to the opponent, both of which move the game away from ending, and I worry that might lead to unfun states.

Not Forgotten, Cathedral Membrane, Castle Drawbridge: Creatures that aren't the Wumpus. Not Forgotten is the only other card like Noxious Revival, plus it can bottom things too so I love it, but the 1/1 spirit is a pain and makes me want to include an ugly additional rule. Its simultaneously one of my favourites, and one of the most irritating. I like the Membrane as it only kills the Wumpus if it attacks, and leaks 3 damage into the bargain, so its more interesting than a white Seal of Doom would be. Soul Snare would be great if it's activation didn't cost {W} and it didn't exile. Would replace Membrane with a white Pit Trap in a heartbeat.

Dress Down: My reservations are due to a lack of testing - It has interesting interactions with Cathedral Membrane and Wumpus (Can turn off the 'sac a land' ability, stops Membrane killing Wumpus at the cost of trample), it's never dead (Just cycle it lol) and justifies the presence of other artifact and enchantments and ways to interact with them. Just don't know if it plays well yet.

Thoughtseize: I prefer Harsh Scrutiny for hunting Wumpii, as it can only hit the Wumpus (Or Membrane...) but also interacts with the deck. Two pieces of hand attack has felt right though, and I can't run Cabal Therapy if it can be flashed back. Thoughtseize feels like the next most interesting, as it sets a limit on how small you can get your opponent's hand unless your opponent goes crazy on the Ousts.

Natural State: Only has three four targets, and only three of those are 'good' targets. Would love if it had Cycling, but is the 2 mana for Wilt is too much to ask? Is it more interesting to dodge or get hit by Mental Misstep? Like Dress Down, only testing will tell.

Pull from Eternity - When there was flashback in here this was a thing and I was excited to give this card a home. Then I thought about moving the Wumpus into and out of exile to justify it's inclusion beyond "Badly recur a spell that's already been recurred" in a format where the GY shuffles back in. Then I realized if the Wumpus was exiled and a player didn't have access to white mana, they couldn't get the Wumpus back and could be held hostage by their opponent, so you could never sac a Plains to Wumpus. Goodbye Pull from Eternity.
Unexpectedly Absent - I managed to play an entire test game with this without noticing it was double-pipped. I am a fool.
Stream of Conciousness, Stream of Thought, Whirlpool Whelm - Let U solo the Wumpus no matter where it was (Deck, Hand, GY, Play) and stole Green's shuffle+recursion thunder. They did interesting things but I wasn't feeling it.
Cabal Therapy - Would be running this over Thoughtseize if it weren't for the white creatures letting you flash it back. If I lose the dudes entirely, it'll go back in.
Inner Struggle, Chaos Warp, Breaking Point - Too many answers for a resolved Wumpus made for boring games. Also Breaking Point is double-pipped, I am again a fool.
Temporary Insanity - Intended as "Counterwumpus" that only Wumpuses when you let your opponent Wumpus. In practice, actually the safer way to go for the win, so it discourages Wumpus from being cast in the first place and leads to stalls if you can't isolate the Threaten in your hand before casting the Wumpus.
Mindclaw Shaman, Reversal of Fortune - One's a dude, one's double-pipped. Both are too much mana considering the curve of this deck. Lame, as I really wanted this effect in here.
Yeah red just struggles with this style of game. Can't burn face, can't burn dude, can't exile to draw, threaten effects too stronk. There's a reason it's 21 and not 25 cards. I would run Bitter Reunion though.
Krosan Reclamation - Don't run instants with flashback if you're going to have a shared graveyard. Just don't. Also, y'know, flashback - I wanted to avoid the exile zone entirely, there's no way I'm running Runic Repetition or Pull from Eternity (again), and Riftsweeper is a dude and you know my stance on those by now.

Colour Themes:
White - The colour that gets to interact with the Wumpus after it resolves. Oust, Cathedral Monument and Not Forgotten create ways for Wumpus to not be a one-shot by mitigating damage or increasing life-totals.
Blue - Can dig for the Wumpus, yes, but more importantly can dig for answers for the Wumpus while messing with opponent's draws beyond what a Scry 1 can salvage. Also stays card neutral much more easily.
Black - Can't guarantee you're the first to find the Wumpus, but you can rip it out of their hand and recur it to yours!
Red - Wumpus
Green - If the Wumpus is in the deck, Green will get it out. If it's in the 'yard, Green will put it back. If the order of the deck or the presence of a certain card in the 'yard matters, Green will mess that up.

You might have noticed some overlap/bleed between colours. That's fine - you get worse at doing a given thing when you lose access to a colour, but you don't totally lose that axis of interaction.
What's less fine is the little niggly annoyances like Oust gaining life and Not Forgotten creating creatures, and other such ways that reduce the elegance of "Find Wumpus, Resolve Wumpus, Win With Wumpus." Would love to smooth those over.

Very much welcome any input or feedback, of any kind at all.

Cube Link:
https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/327cc30c-4db9-4bcf-954e-0714d6e767c9

ravnic - Feedback and ideas
Inscho - Feedback and ideas
StrionicAdventurer - Feedback and ideas
LadyMapi - Feedback and ideas

Last edited:
Wow, that sounds so cool. You came up with that idea all by yourself? I am so tempted to go for my own attempt at that.

Have you considered giving red land destruction? A [Stone Rain] effect would probably be too strong under the current rules, though. Maybe having the lands go in the graveyard would be cooler? That way you would never lose a mana source entirely.

Did a little testing and had a chat with my partner about the list, and they've really helped sort out the concept in my head and put away some of my excessively fiddly concerns. Takeaway was, more creatures are okay as blockers due to the Wumpus' Trample, that lets me run ways of interacting with creatures that also do fun things with the deck, and that in turn opens up so so many options for cards to run. Updated OP with some changes to the list and rules, along with some ideas for extra cards for bigger player counts. This update sees a few 0/3 defenders rocking up, as well as ways of dealing with 0/3s that incidentally do cool stuff in the Hunt for the Wumpus.

@ravnic

I had the idea of a Sudden Death Wizards Tower built around Shivan Wumpus (name and all) for ages now but was worried about making a 100 strong pile of cards with only 1 win-con be fun. Got reminded by Dandan popping up all over the place recently and have been fiddling with the concept on and off since.

While I don't know how I feel about Stone Rain and friends, you did remind me of Need for Speed which could be pretty neat risk-reward minigame that further rewards tracking the answers your opponent has access to. That unlocked red as a concept for me - Double down on otherwise unplayable chaff like punisher cards that have a whole new meaning when life totals and land counts are so low! I'm imagining Custody Battle, Blazing Salvo, Molten Influence, stuff like that. I personally want to hang on to the sacrificed lands going away for good, if only because a shared GY is a big part of this working with the cards I've selected, and LD giving you opportunities to draw your opponent's destroyed lands sounds like a runaway problem that would dictate games far more than the Wumpus would. That said, would need testing, and this kind of concept is robust enough to being rebuilt any number of ways. If you do have your own go at something like this I would really like to see how you go about it.

@inscho

I hadn't considered Treasures at all until you mentioned them - part of me likes it as an out, part of me worries that being able to stockpile a few Treasures to go for a huge alpha turn with all the mana for interaction and countermana up might be a little bit much, especially considering how cheap all the spells are. Would be a great route to take red though! My previous musings have still left me light on red cards, and it's totally within that design space. Totally fine with chaos, so would definitely consider the everfull purse for the multiplayer extension to the deck. The current version of that extension features Saruli Caretaker as the "mana recovery" option, which is obviously much much weaker than access to Trasures but still allows for some ramp and fixing.

So, I was so fascinated by your idea, I've tried to come up with my own variation.

It's called "Wurm & Wumpus"

https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/3362f8ec-cc29-4c95-a7b1-c1a01f9a9e25

The most essential change was the shift to have the lands in the library. Currently, I run three tapped fixers and 7 basic in the 25-card deck. Numbers could be wildly off, I am at my girlfriend's family's place with no access to magic cards :p

Furthermore I've cut white and black entirely. With just three colors I tried to reduce the now possible color screw. Blue is the main color with it's library manipulation. Than there is red and green for threats. I've decided to go with Argothian Wurm AND Hunted Wumpus to increase threat density with lands in the deck.

Many card choices are basically yours too. Brainstorm, Telling Time, Noxious Revival ... but I've also found some other cool cards. Lammastide Weavecadds to the ToL manipulation stuff and is my only live gain source. Thought Scour acts as instant speed mill, Surge of Seal can give you the hasty win with Wurm or Wumpus.

When DanDan started making the rounds recently I also started brainstorming shared library “game within game” formats.

I was interested in your list and came up with this draft list https://cubecobra.com/cube/overview/52234d6b-2007-44b2-9d0b-0cb717c8da6b

a few points on the design:
> I included lands in the deck
> I made the mana base revolve around Archaeological Dig and Life from the Loam (I think this has interesting implications for a shared graveyard format(
> There are two paths to victory: Argothian Wurm beat downs and Labratory Maniac wins.
> I tried to use Echo of Eons, Turn the Earth, and Runic Repetition instead of your no-decking mechanic
> I included two key dandan cards as 3-ofs: Brainstorm and Memory Lapse

Anyways, I haven’t tested it but I’d be interested to hear what everyone comes up with regarding shared library formats

I really like this suggestion. Its not that gold cards are against the design rules, more that every time I include gold cards in anything I feel compelled to make my inclusions symmetrical :p
Based on how the current list has played so far I'm planning on removing all creatures except the Wumpus and massively increasing the size of the deck, so sadly Wood Sage likely won't make it in in the short term, but when the next pass inevitably doesn't feel quite right either who knows?

It's fun as a mental puzzle as-is, but could be more exciting and replayable, so going to see if increasing variance is an improvement or not :D

As it is, it's really easy to get perfect information, which has made us try to play around every card the opponent has and set the goal to sculpting the opponent's hand. I like a lot of that, but it needs some work - I suspect the density of direct answers is just a little too high for one. I don't know if it's solved per se, but we've definitely hit a pretty consistent play pattern centered around forcing your opponent to pull the trigger on Thoughtseize and/or Infernal Grasp twice, using Brainstorm, Misinformation or Noxious Rev to get them stuck in their hand to waste draw steps, while also maneuvering Memory/Lapse/of Certainty and either Oust or Mental Misstep into your hand, then Wumpusing for the win - and saccing a land to stop that Wumpus is just a delaying tactic at that point rather than a chance to reset (same for Drawbridge, with the added downside that you're dead to removal as well). That could change if we played it more - I suspect the next level would be prioritizing saccing a land to deal with Wumpus over using Thoughtseize or Grasp if you're at 3 life, just so those cards and the Phyrexian mana spells remain options. But I don't know and I don't think anyone I play with has the patience to find out :p

Way we've been playing it, Thoughtseize is the real game. You kinda want to Harsh Scrutiny and peek at the deck a little before you pull that trigger and key targets are Noxious Revival, the counterspells, and Oust. Knowing when to stick the Thoughtseize in your opponents hand where you'll never see it again does matter too (Short of them discarding to hand size, which if you're ahead on life is a losing proposition for them) - It's important to use it to gain access to the answers they have in hand, but that tripped us up once and hasn't since been that much of an additional point of interest. Oust is really painful to pull the trigger on, as it's an extra Thoughtseize, Infernal Grasp, or phyrexian mana for the opponent. The current play pattern results in two groups of cards: the cards that manipulate the deck/hand or kill/counter the Wumpus, and the cards that don't. The first group determines the winner. The latter let the loser decide how long it will take.

Gaea's Blessing was the first one I found when paging through my boxes for initial ideas :p
That said you're entirely right and I'll make the swap - cards in hand do clog more than I expected.
I know I have exactly one copy of Dwell in the Past but have no idea where my box of Guay singles is, so Serene Rememberance it is!