Sets Ikoria Inquiry

I did some more digging in the 4chan thread these came from, and someone posted a screenshot of an earlier comment!

XRlOHfC.png

This was posted 10 days before this thread.

All of this is real. Oh my god.

-Head Explodes-

There is no image in your hidden spoiler.

These look very fake because they use real world names/names from other media (Godzilla) which Magic hasn’t done for more than 20 years. Also the uncommon cards have the rare hologram treatment at the bottom center of the card. Of course Wizards could go down a whole new path.

There is no image in your hidden spoiler.

These look very fake because they use real world names/names from other media (Godzilla) which Magic hasn’t done for more than 20 years. Also the uncommon cards have the rare hologram treatment at the bottom center of the card. Of course Wizards could go down a whole new path.

I fixed the image!

These are Boxtopper promos (i.e. Not actual cards in the Main Set), so that's why the Uncommons have the rare hologram treatment. I think these are just cards from the regular set with a Godzilla skin slapped on them to make them special and promotional. Again, notice how the Rules Text refers to the cards by the subscript names under their Godzilla names.

As a godzilla fan I have to say, this card doesn't seem worthy of him. If I'd like to cube godzilla I'd probably make a render from Progenitus or an Eldrazi Titan. But lets see and wait.

As a godzilla fan I have to say, this card doesn't seem worthy of him. If I'd like to cube godzilla I'd probably make a render from Progenitus or an Eldrazi Titan. But lets see and wait.

Probably this is one of the biggest problems with referencing popular culture in a magic card. There's no reasonable way of matching everyone's expectation of how to translate the pop phenomenon into rules text.

It does seem a little weird to me that they would give Spacegodzilla a (presumably) important mythic from the set but Godzilla would only get an uncommon. Don't get me wrong, that 9-mana T-Rex could be very good, I might even play it if it's p/t is 8/8, 9/9, or god forbid 10/10, but that doesn't make it feel right for Godzilla.

As Onde said: I believe these could be real as a supplement set like My Little Pony. They will not be canon and in actual Ikoria. Not with names like Godzilla.

Wait wait wait, hold the phone right there mister!
Can we agree that Godzilla is a baby compared to Eldrazi Titans who travel between planes, devour literally everything, make everyone sacrifice themselves in terror and can only maybe be beaten by Magic spells? Also I don’t see Godzilla have protection from anything. Godzilla feels like a 12/12 that can’t be blocked or something.

Also Godzilla not being legendary seems far fetched. These feel very fake but it could be a whole new path Wizards is taking. Or they could be promo versions of real cards and have new names with their original names right below their new names. This is the only way I could see them be legit. But that still leaves Godzilla out of Ikoria.

And look at those jet planes!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also Godzilla not being legendary seems far fetched. These feel very fake but it could be a whole new path Wizards is taking. Or they could be promo versions of real cards and have new names with their original names right below their new names. This is the only way I could see them be legit. But that still leaves Godzilla out of Ikoria.

And look at those jet planes!

Anther possible option is that these are fan made mockups of real cards, with the art and name replaced.

Anther possible option is that these are fan made mockups of real cards, with the art and name replaced.

Also an option but doesn’t it seem very likely that a fan got his hands/eyes on real Ikoria cards that none of us have seen yet and also made a custom mockup version, right?

I think they are either 100 % fake or box toppers with new names and artworks of actual cards from Ikoria. The last would be weird and never be part of my cube. I like MtG planes lore when I play Magic.

Wait wait wait, hold the phone right there mister!
Can we agree that Godzilla is a baby compared to Eldrazi Titans who travel between planes, devour literally everything, make everyone sacrifice themselves in terror and can only maybe be beaten by Magic spells? Also I don’t see Godzilla have protection from anything. Godzilla feels like a 12/12 that can’t be blocked or something.

Pff, Godzilla is the King of Monsters. I'd love see him beat up those spaghetti-monsters in a movie. But I have to admit, I don't know much from the eldrazi lore. Anyway, if a handful of power rangers was able to beat emrakul, it can't be that strong.

I'd design a godzilla card like this:

Godzilla WWUUBBRRGG
Legendary Creature - Lizard Mutant
Trample, indestructible
When Godzilla enters the battlefield, it fights any number of target creatures, then you may destroy that many noncreature permanents.
13/13

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Pff, Godzilla is the King of Monsters. I'd love see him beat up those spaghetti-monsters in a movie. But I have to admit, I don't know much from the eldrazi lore. Anyway, if a handful of power rangers was able to beat emrakul, it can't be that strong.

I'd design a godzilla card like this:

Godzilla WWUUBBRRGG
Legendary Creature - Lizard Mutant
Trample, indestructible
When Godzilla enters the battlefield, it fights any number of target creatures, then you may destroy that many noncreature permanents.
13/13

Sooo... A one-sided Wrath + Armageddon. Seems fair :rolleyes:

Sooo... A one-sided Wrath + Armageddon. Seems fair :rolleyes:

I think that was the point :p Godzilla not being ‘fair’ :D

But I believe Godzilla would be a lesser Eldrazi compared to Emrakul, Ulamog and Kozilek. Godzilla is like a Krosan Cloudscraper. And of course our Power Ranger planeswalkers would much more easily overcome Tokyo’s biggest villain compared to the multiverse’s biggest annihilator. Also Emrakul is not beaten. Just trapped on a moon.

Obviously this is all speculation since they are not the same universe. Like comparing Batman to Spiderman.

Comparing Godzilla to Krosan Cloudscraper is insulting though. Godzilla is like the incarnation of nature's scorn, things that usually harm living beings tend to just make him stronger. He'd definitely be an unfair card!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Please can we not derail this thread with headcanon wars.

Hahahaha, you should have seen this forum five years ago. I can't remember a single thread that didn't get derailed multiple times :D And we're not even threading that far from the discussion, since pictures of Godzilla were literally posted on the last post of the previous page. I think it's part of the charm of this forum, but that's obviously a personal point of view. Every now and then, derailments will take discussions in unexpected but interesting directions or laugh out loud moments. I'm willing to sift through the shitposting for that :)

Close, I think they're real promo card with the art and name replaced.

Yeah, Velrun mentioned that as well. If they are, that confirms wedges, as well as a host of weird mechanics. Trample counters? Mutate (what does that even do)? Hybrid mana and cycling are back though, that's always exciting!

I for one sure hope we actually do end up with that "trample counter" mechanic. I've been curious if they've decided to do a black bordered version of the augment cards, and granting keywords could be a fun kind of design space.

Trample, Flying, Lifelink, Vigilance, First Strike, Double Strike, Deathtouch, Menace, Reach, Hexproof.

+Loyalty, +1/+1, and the other counter MaRo revealed. That's a total of 13.

I'm down for all of that, I would also hope that we can give any creature these counters like recycla-bird and not just a creature with mutate. That would open up a lot of design space, especially giving green more trample.

On topic, Godzilla isn't legendary because godzilla is a species not a specific creature, as explored in the incredibly canon 1998 movie Godzilla /s.

Well, Krosan Cloudscraper never could be an insult as big as that movie :D

I'd like getting Godzilla versions of cards actually, I'd cube one or two of they fit my cube AND are worthy of their depicted characters.

I mean if a movie doesn’t count then I say Oath of the Gatewatch set doesn’t count :p The only set where the Eldrazi Titans were vulnerable to super Magic humanoids.

I for one sure hope we actually do end up with that "trample counter" mechanic. I've been curious if they've decided to do a black bordered version of the augment cards, and granting keywords could be a fun kind of design space.

Yeah :D All that would be super awesome!

I fear Ikoria will bring parasitic mechanics with it. Like augment and host.