I'm Back, Baby!

I started a new job that had me working nights and weekends about a year ago, and thus have not been able to play Magic or cube for a really long time. However, I discovered that a new LGS opened up near me that drafts on Wednesday nights (my night off), and hey, I missed Innistrad the first time around and I wasn't about to miss it again.

So I drop in, and lo and behold, the Magic bug has bitten me again. I was up until 4AM tinkering and updating my cube tutor page again. Since my old blog thread is horrifically out of date and some of my initial design decisions sort of embarrass me, here's a new thread for the old cube.

The great thing about Shadows Over Innistrad is that I realized that it plays a lot like my cube. The decks are synergy based, but not particularly linear. It's more like you have these general goodstuff decks that then have 5-6 card blocks of crazy synergistic combos within them, which I realize is the feel I've been looking for this whole time. I like synergy a lot, but I don't like decks to be on rails. Like, looking at the draft formats for BFZ and OGW, I like those a lot less because the mechanics are really parasitic and a lot of the decks look like they build themselves. Same problem I have with Modern Masters draft formats.

Anyway, here's the cubetutor list.

It's got a ton of new additions from the last three sets. I also took a look at the Minimalist Artifact Theme thread and gave some of those ideas a shot. Give it a draft and let me know what you think.

Here's a short list of themes that are currently supported:

Major Themes
Tokens (W/R)
Sacrifice (B/R)
Graveyard Shenanigans (U/B/G)
Artifacts (U/R)
Enchantments (W/B/G)
Spells Matter (W/U/R)
Flicker (W/U)
Devotion (U/B/R)
Flash (U/G)

Minor Themes
Tribal (Humans in W, Merfolk in U, Zombies in B, Goblins in R, Elves in G)
Colorless Mana (U/B)
Lifegain (W/B)
Whack the Pinata (R/G/Stuffy Doll)

There's probably more stuff in here that I haven't anticipated. My drafters surprise me sometimes.

In general I want decks to run 2-3 colors, with occasional monocolor or 4-5 color outliers. I deliberately do not run fetches, and in general I like to stick to singleton. There's like 1-2 cards I'd like to break singleton for, but only having those cards with singleton broken messes with some of my OCD tendencies, so I don't.

Current Thoughts and Possible Changes

Mana
I'm not super happy with the tri-lands. They're a relic from a time when I had Chromanticore in here. I want more lands that come in to play untapped, and I'd like more incidental colorless sources in case I want to include stuff like Thought-Knot Seer or something like that.

I've never played with the filter lands before. How do they play out? On that note:

Colorless Cards
I skipped BFZ and OGW, so I haven't gotten any hands on experience with colorless cards. What's worth running? What sort of support is required? One of the local guys went ahead and just included Wastes in his basic land box, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to go that far for what is sure to only be 3-5 cards.

Enchantress Support
White has a ton of enchantments currently, but no payoff cards like Eidolon of Blossoms or anything like that. I'm considering Blessed Spirits since a 2/2 flyer for 2{W} isn't a bad rate even if you don't pull any enchantments. What else does white have that goes well with enchantments?

Along the same lines, what do black's options look like? Like, is Blightcaster anything but embarrassing in a high-ish power environment like I'm running?

Boros Section
I currently have a hole in my Boros section that is being filled by the underwhelming War Flare. I had Gisela, Blade of Goldnight in there, but she basically never got played by anybody. Current plans are to swap out Ajani Vengeant for Nahiri since I don't want to run 2 walkers in a guild, but that still leaves War Flare sitting there looking weird. I'm thinking of running Soltari Guerrillas, but I'm somewhat allergic to shadow creatures. Do they work as the only shadow creature in the cube?

Filter lands are great, definitely recommend them over tri-lands.

I don't honestly think any of the colorless cards or Wastes are worth running. I feel like it was just for limited, standard and banning Eye of Ugin in Modern. You can try it, I think its way more jank than your list is though.

Enchantress is cute, I haven't found it worth getting deep into outside of a very low power level though. Blossoms is the good card. Blightcaster is embarrassing.

As for Boros, Boros Charm is pretty tech, Nahiri, the Harbinger is great. You should be allergic to shadow and other non-interaction mechanics. :p

You have some of the pinata cards, but I don't see Spitemare or Soulfire Grand Master.

Fuuuuck. Boros Charm. Of course, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Shows how rusty I am. I forgot that guy completely.

As far as Spitemare goes, I've already got Boros Reckoner, but you're right, I should probably have Soulfire Grand Master. I hadn't considered how gross that would be off of a Blasphemous Act.

Alright. Some tweaks before hopefully I get to draft this sucker again on Wednesday.

Artifacts
I cut five colored cards that either weren't pulling their weight, or whose inclusion I wasn't sure about to make room for some low drop artifacts that are nice to either sac or flicker.

IN

White
I cut Path to Exile. I'm trying to turn the knob down on the removal somewhat, as you'll see in the other colors. I also made some room for some enchantment incentives in white. Blessed Spirits and Sigil of the Empty Throne are in on an experimental basis. I fully expect to take them both out in short order, but maybe they'll surprise me. I'm also going to try Soulfire Grand Master instead of Seeker of the Way and see how that turns out.

IN

OUT

Blue
Blue got the most tweaks, as per usual. I'm rarely satisfied with my blue section. I decided to cut Fact or Fiction for being too powerful, Cumber Stone for being too weak, and combined them both (since I do like both effects) into Jace, Architect of Thought. Since I'm trying to keep my walker count low, that meant baby Jace had to go. Additionally, I cut Gush, once again for power level concerns, and swapped it in for Compulsive Research. I'm also swapping Vapor Snag for Sidisi's Faithful and Man-o'-War for Clutch of Currents on a trial basis. Finally I'm trying something wacky with Quiet Contemplation, since that's how I roll.

IN

OUT

Black
I swapped Executioner's Capsule for Dead Weight since the artifact theme isn't really in black, but the enchantment theme is, and I wanted to signal that better. I traded Tragic Slip for Raven's Crime in an effort to tone down the removal and give Loam and the big frog some more toys to play with. I also traded Shadowborn Demon for Grim Haruspex, since the big demon didn't really do anything the last time he was in here, and I really like Haruspex's effect. I just wish she didn't have Morph. She's the only morph creature in the cube right now, so I'm considering taking a sharpie and just striking through the line. Finally, I cut Triskaidecaphobia because while it's the sort of goofy, janky effect that I like, I'm trying to avoid that feel-bad moment of "Oh, you're already at 13? Here's an enchantment that ends the game immediately. Sorry you didn't know to play around it and this potentially interesting game is already over." I'm also trying Drana, Liberator of Malakir instead of Royal Assassin as a push for black aggro and to cut down on repeatable removal effects.

IN

OUT

Red
Lightning Bolt got traded for Fiery Impulse, once again to try to turn the knob down on the removal slightly. I traded Slagstorm for Whipflare in an effort to once again signal artifacts in red. I'm also trying Goblinslide over Sulfuric Vortex in an experiment to see if red aggro decks can win without it as a crutch. Finally I dropped Starstorm since while I love the card, I can't remember the last time I saw it cast.

IN

OUT

Green
I lied. Green actually underwent the most changes this time. I swapped Moldgraf Scavenger for Kalonian Tusker, since he nicely signals graveyard strategies without the irritating "wait it's HOW big now?" issues of Tarmogoyf. Since I'm taking away Sulfuric Vortex, I figured I should pull back on midrange stabilizers as well, so I traded Thragtusk for Titania, Protector of Argoth. I'm going to try her as an experiment to see if she does anything at all in a world without fetch lands. To give her some tools to play with, I traded Rampant Growth for Harrow and Yeva, Nature's Herald for Pack Guardian. Also, I noticed that green doesn't have a whole lot of tools to deal with fliers, so I swapped in Arbor Colossus for Creeperhulk. I traded Genesis Wave for Regrowth, since green is already full of big, dumb splashy effects and I wanted to give it a little finesse. Finally, I cut Ulvenwald Tracker for being repeatable removal.

IN

OUT

Multi
Just a few random changes. I went ahead and proxied up Nahiri, the Harbinger, and swapped her in for Ajani Vengeant. I also replaced War Flare with Boros Charm, since that makes way more sense. Loxodon Smiter came out for Knight of the Reliquary, since she's a lot more interesting and plays well with the new tools I intended for Titania and Loam. I'm trying Murkfiend Liege instead of Snakeform in an effort to find a Simic hybrid that isn't embarrassing. I traded Prophetic Bolt for Geistblast since it seems like the latter would make for a lot more interesting stories.

IN

OUT

Lands
Proxied up the filterlands. Swapped them out for the trilands. Am immediately happier.

IN

OUT

Wistful Selkie was a decent gridfiller that provides a boatload of devotion.
It's not bad, but I do expect more from a triple hybrid card. I mean, stacked next to Boros Reckoner or Nightveil Specter it's not great. You're right that I'm basically grid-filling at this point. WotC needs to Return to Shadowmoor so we can get some more decent hybrid cards.

In other news, a buddy of mine is selling off his pimped out powered cube, and I raided it for some goodies. So I've got a few more changes before Wednesday, when it should be able to be drafted again (fingers crossed).

IN

OUT

Commentary on specific changes:

Disenchant -> Enlightened Tutor: Narrow, boring answers turn into interesting, narrow enablers!
Ajani Goldmane -> Ajani Steadfast: I decided I like my walkers with more than one real mode, and my anthems to not be quite so oppressive. Plus the ultimate is more interesting.
Prophet of Distortion -> Mystic Confluence: Really this is more about wanting to cut Prophet of Distortion, who I realized is just a worst Azure Mage, and Mystic Confluence is just a cool spell that I wanted to try.
Black Sun's Zenith -> Living Death: Cool reanimation strategy that doubles as a sweeper. Why not?
Priest of the Blood Rite -> Tombstalker: Big fuckoff demon that supports the graveyard strategy instead of a big fuckoff demon that supports the sacrifice strategy.
Falkenrath Gorger -> Lightning Berserker: This one is more about signaling. There's plenty of vampires in the cube, but not a ton of madness enablers so I didn't want people to get the wrong idea. Plus this Lightning Berserker is all shiny and foil and I had to cut something for it (this reasoning plays into more of my decisions than I care to admit).
Ingot Chewer -> Fiery Confluence: Much more interesting artifact hate spell that is way less narrow. No brainer.
Goblinslide -> Pyromancer's Goggles: Way cooler way of supporting the spells matter deck and the artifact deck.
Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury -> Nissa, Worldwaker: This is the change I'm most ambivalent about. I <3 Freyalise, but I recognize that I may be the only one. Not a ton of other people drafted her. Whether this was correct or not, I'm not sure of.
Elvish Visionary -> Treetop Village: Little bit less support for the blink deck and the sacrifice deck, but I'm trying to seed a few more manlands in for Sylvan Advocate.
Genesis Hydra -> Seasons Past: I'm trying to make green not quite so creature heavy, and this is a cooler late game card advantage engine.
Wolfbriar Elemental -> Vengevine: I just really, really wanted to include Vengevine and this seemed like the most logical cut.
Far // Away -> Shadowmage Infiltrator: This is more about the fact that I just added Silumgar's Command and it's pretty much identical to Far // Away. Plus it's foil.
Fleecemane Lion -> Qasali Pridemage: I'm trying to give {G/W} more dimension than just the big dumb beaters deck, hence the Loxodon Smiter cut in the last update. Plus it's foil.
Chromatic Lantern -> Hedron Archive: I'm doing an experiment where I cut all the colored mana rocks to help green's identity. Colorless sources can provide ramp or fixing, but not both. Plus I just noticed that Hedron Archive is literally two Mind Stones stapled together, and I couldn't not include it. Plus it's foil.
Oblivion Stone -> Nevinyrral's Disk: This is more about me being a hipster and preferring the original version of an effect where I can get it. It's just more elegant than O Stone, too.

I have to say all your swaps are looking pretty good, they almost all look like things I would do. I happen to really like the tri-lands. I know they're come into play tapped, and I can see that bugging you, but I like how they give access to duals to a larger number of colour pairs.

Can I just ask you about your comment re Gush please? You said you cut it for power reasons - for being too strong or too weak?

Ps, if I had to play with a symic hybrid, it probably would be snakeform.

It's my attempt to support aggro mana bases without succumbing to the double shock/double fetch riptide orthodoxy.

As far as Gush goes, it was cut for being too powerful. Am I wrong?

Re: Snakeform. I tried it for a while. It never really saw much play. So I guess I'll try something different until I find what works.

Just got back from my first cube draft in god knows how long. We had a 6 person squad for this round. The decks were:

UW Flicker 3-0
Sultai Control (me) 2-1
WB Tokens 2-1
UR Control splashing white for Nahiri 1-2
Temur Ramp 0-2
Abzan Stax 1-2

Things I noticed:

The flicker deck is really strong. I probably need to ratchet it back a bit. Any suggestions on how to do so without gutting the core of the deck? I like it as an archetype, but it might be a little out of hand. Some of it might be the fact that the guy who always drafts it is probably the strongest player in town (he just hit silver at the latest PT), so there might be a skill gap there too.

Another thing, looking at the card pool we drafted, was that there was a really strong Boros aggro deck in the draft that nobody wanted. Really strong red and white aggro cards were wheeling all over the place. Some of that might just be the fact that we were a 6-man and no one was in the mood tonight, but it's something to keep an eye on. The tokens deck was fairly aggressive at least to keep the control decks honest.

The stax player came to the conclusion that stax wasn't playable in the cube. He had Smokestack and Braids in the deck with a bunch of recursive stuff, but he just kept getting frustrated since there were so many tokens floating around that it didn't seem to matter. He may be right. One draft probably isn't enough to know yet, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Stax guy gotta draft all those token cards himself! But yeah, stax had a hard time in my cube too against any deck with the kinds of creature stax wanted. I probably run too many of those.

Cards that currently have targets on their heads:

Literally every time I dropped this, these exact words were spoken: "I don't think I can beat that." Maybe it's just the fact that every deck I faced was a slower, more controlly deck where Ashiok excels. It probably doesn't do anything against an aggro deck, and like I said we were light on those the other night.

Another card that wins games almost by itself. It kind of doesn't matter what you're blinking, but when it's stuff like Duplicant or Glen Elendra Archmage it gets out of hand.

I'm not making any cuts just this second, but the guy had a point last night that tokens and recursive creatures are a heavy theme in my cube, and that reduces the value of these cards by a lot.

I love this guy, but he kind of doesn't fit with either of the big UR themes (artifacts or spells matter). There is a minor devotion theme in both those colors, but Keranos is still almost never a creature. I'm considering swapping him out for either Electrolyze or Jori En, Ruin Diver.

Tried to get a Memorial Day draft together, but ultimately could only wrangle 4 people. So we decided to do a winston draft two-headed giant thing. It worked out a lot better than I thought it would.

My Team:
BG rock
UR tempo

Villain's Team:
UR artifacts
WR aggro

We only had time for a couple games, which we tied 1-1, but they were pretty sweet. Both teams were trying to make the artifact deck work at one point, until we just didn't get any enablers, so we pivoted into sort of a tempo/control deck.

I want to take a minute and thank everyone who has drafted my cube on cubetutor so far, especially Alfonso_Bonzo, who's drafted 9 decks in the last week. Everyone should check out his cube too, since it's really sweet.

For those of you who have drafted it, do you have any feedback? Any cards lead you down any rabbit holes that didn't pay out in the end? Any archetypes that are missing something? Random thoughts?

One of the things that really stood out for me was the planeswalkers. It might just be because I've tried to seriously restrict the number in my cube but there felt like there was quite a lot to me and that the right choice was often to take the planeswalker, even if I was trying to build a deck that had something more 'relevant' to take. This is tricky as they're good signals to move into a colour, but was something that stood out for me.

The only thing I think I struggled with was the spells matter deck, which just didn't really work out for me.

I had a good looking artifact sac deck, and I liked the way you could overlap the themes. Cathodian seemed like it would be cool there. I really like dictate of erebos here as well, might need to find a way to add that back in.

I want to talk about a very cool deck:

selesyna smokestack from CubeTutor.com

I can't seem to stop drafting controlling green/white decks at the moment, but I loved some of the things going on here. Enlightened tutor fetches both smokestack and glare of subdual (which I think leads to unfun games) and tokens synergise with both. Tutor can also fetch removal (duplicant) or threat (myr battlesphere) giving you lots of lines of play. Chord of calling delivers similar but not as good. I love how there's really good mana fixing here as well. I'm going to have to add enlightened tutor I think.

I suppose the other thing is (and this might be my predisposition) is that I drafted quite a lot of black sacrifice decks. Don't know if this shouts out more, or is just me.

One of the things that really stood out for me was the planeswalkers. It might just be because I've tried to seriously restrict the number in my cube but there felt like there was quite a lot to me and that the right choice was often to take the planeswalker, even if I was trying to build a deck that had something more 'relevant' to take. This is tricky as they're good signals to move into a colour, but was something that stood out for me.

Part of it is that I sometimes go for a 'best of standard formats past' feel in my cube, and planeswalkers are a huge part of modern standard formats. I often get the commentary "Hey, I'm playing standard from two years ago" from people who draft it. Plus, there's a Timmy part of me that just likes 'em. Let's see. There's 17 total walkers out of 450 cards, so about 3.8%. If I'm doing my as-fan math correctly, that comes out to about 0.56. I dunno if that's too high or not.

My philosophy when it comes to walkers is that I want them to fill very different roles, even when they're in the same colors. Like, there's a big difference between Ajani Steadfast and Elspeth, Sun's Champion, and while they do work together, they can also go in very different decks. This conversation is making me look at Garruk Wildspeaker and Nissa, Worldwaker, though, since they fill similar roles and go in very similar decks. It reminds me why I had Freyalise in here in the first place. Which do you guys think is the more interesting swap:

->

or

-> ?

The only thing I think I struggled with was the spells matter deck, which just didn't really work out for me.

What do you think was missing? Not enough cantrips? Too little velocity? Not enough quality burn?

I had a good looking artifact sac deck, and I liked the way you could overlap the themes. Cathodian seemed like it would be cool there. I really like dictate of erebos here as well, might need to find a way to add that back in.

I want to talk about a very cool deck:

I can't seem to stop drafting controlling green/white decks at the moment, but I loved some of the things going on here. Enlightened tutor fetches both smokestack and glare of subdual (which I think leads to unfun games) and tokens synergise with both. Tutor can also fetch removal (duplicant) or threat (myr battlesphere) giving you lots of lines of play. Chord of calling delivers similar but not as good. I love how there's really good mana fixing here as well. I'm going to have to add enlightened tutor I think.

Yeah, I saw that deck. That's easily my favorite one that you've drafted so far. I'm also very happy with the Enlightened Tutor add, since it overlaps with multiple themes that I'm trying. I'm considering Mystical Tutor as well, but I'm worried it might be too generically good.

I suppose the other thing is (and this might be my predisposition) is that I drafted quite a lot of black sacrifice decks. Don't know if this shouts out more, or is just me.

It's a pet theme of mine, so I've been trying to push it relatively hard. The Aristocrats is one of my favorite deck archetypes and I keep trying to see if I can recreate it in my cube, with middling success. The decks sometimes struggle when they do come together. I'm considering Nantuko Husk to help the theme among other things. Any thoughts?

Great analysis, by the way. Thanks for the feedback.

UPDATES

I went ahead and incorporated a bunch of feedback, both from here and from my players, as well as my own experiences and made a few changes.

IN

OUT

Commentary on specific changes:

White
Mother of Runes - She's there to promote white aggro some more. Hopefully she doesn't prove too oppressive. She replaces Emeria Angel, who just hasn't done much in all the time she's been in.
Devouring Light - Just a more flexible spell than Immolating Glare. I notice now that 4/5 of the colors have spells that can be cast while you are tapped out. I may want to add something to green and call it a cycle. Maybe Invigorate or Mutagenic Growth.
Leonin Relic-Warder - Since the enchantment and artifact themes have proven to be a success, I feel like white needs at least one piece of dedicated hate to counter them. It replaces Faith's Fetters in a subtle effort to boost aggro a bit (removal+lifegain might be too good).
Myth Realized - Since I cut Faith's Fetters, but I want to keep up a decent enchantment density, I decided to try this out. This replaces Sunblast Angel in an effort to tone down the blink deck.
Thraben Inspector - I asked my players if I should include this and the answer was a resounding yes. So we're giving it a shot. It replaces Rootborn Defenses, for no real reason other than that it just seems awkward.

Blue
Crush of Tentacles - Quiet Contemplation ended up a failure, so we're trying a much more powerful spell incentive instead.
Illusory Ambusher - Mizzium Meddler wasn't doing much, and this card caught my eye so we're trying it.
Scatter to the Winds - Glen Elendra Archmage was just too oppressive. It dictated almost every game I saw it played in, and was especially strong in the blink deck where it could be used to create a lock. I like the idea of a counterspell + creature, though, so we're trying this.

Black
Blackmail - This card is just cooler than Duress. It creates an interesting FoF-like minigame. We're trying it.
Sarcomancy - Carnophage was always the weakest black aggro card in the cube, which stayed as long as it did due to a combination of nostalgia and amazing art. Sarcomancy is also a classic, though, and it's an enchantment to boot. It can't be reanimated with Relentless Dead, but it can be flickered for value so I consider it a wash.
Bloodghast - I don't know why I ever cut this. I think I just didn't want too many {B}{B} cards and felt that for some reason Vampire Hexmage filled a vital role. It doesn't, and Bloodghast fills a more important role giving black stuff to discard for value.
Sever the Bloodline - Gild is a pet card of mine. I love the flavor of it, and the effect of giving black an exile on 4 is good. However, the gold token was kind of awkward and didn't really fit with most of black's strategies, and Sever has both utility against tokens, which are very strong in this cube, and it can be discarded for value like Bloodghast.
Dread Return - Diabolic Servitude was always intended to be more of a value play, but it just was too weak and never saw much play. Dread Return plays well with tokens and discard, so we're trying it instead.

Red
Shaman of the Great Hunt - I tried to remember the last time I saw Fanatic of Mogis get cast. I couldn't. I waffled between adding Shaman and good ol' FTK, who I have resisted adding up until now due to power level concerns.
Mogg War Marshall - Just giving red wide aggro and sacrifice decks some more tokens to play with. Lightning Berserker was kind of boring me, anyway.

Green
Vines of Vastwood and Become Immense - I realized that I didn't have a single combat trick in green, which is a major part of green's toolkit. We're gonna try these guys because they're super powerful and hopefully can compete in the removal rich environment I have. They replace Curse of Predation for being too powerful, and Garruk Wildspeaker for being a redundant planeswalker.
Ohran Viper - I just think this guy is cool and super green, and forces your opponent into a neat catch-22. It replaces Experiment One, who gets more awkward the more green aggro pieces I cut.
Evolutionary Leap - Moldgraf Scavenger unfortunately was a bust. Delirium proved to be too tough to turn on outside of a dedicated environment for it to be worth it. It gets replaced with Leap, which just feels like a better graveyard card with a lot of play to it.

Guilds
Jori En, Ruin Diver and Electrolyze - Artifacts turned out to be a pretty successful archetype in Izzet, and spells was pretty strong too. Izzet didn't also need generically good control tools like Ral Zarek and Keranos, God of Storms.
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury - I waffled between this guy and Blightning to replace Rakdos's Return, which just turned out to not fit with what Rakdos was trying to do. I'm gonna try this guy as an aggro curve topper.
Ezuri, Claw of Progress - This guy is just cooler than Bounding Krasis, and I keep struggling with an identity for Simic. I have no idea if he's good, but we'll try it.
Ghor-Clan Rampager - Boggart Ram-Gang wasn't really doing much, and as I stated before I was looking to add more interaction on the combat step with combat tricks.
Mistmeadow Witch - Venser, the Sojourner has to go. He's just too good, and a big reason why the blink deck has been so good. Witch at least forces you to commit resources if you want to blink stuff every turn.

Other
Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker - Honestly, this guy's just here because I got a specific request from one of my players to put him back in. Plus, thinking about it, Ugin is kind of an obvious auto-pick. He's super powerful and goes in almost any deck. Nicky B gets a second chance.
Jinxed Idol - Smokestack is too slow. Braids gets to stay for now since she keeps showing up in decks online. Idol is good in the same kinds of decks Smokestack works in, but in a different way. Let's see if it does any better.

Been almost 2 months since I did an update. I've made a few changes. EMN is full of goodies for me to experiment with. Since it's been so long, I'm not going to be able to detail all the changes (I tinker constantly), so I'll run down the most recent ones.

IN

OUT

*Whew*

I'm not going into every specific swap, because that's way too many cards. I'm sure you can see that there are some major structural changes in there. For example, I ripped out the enchantress theme, since it never got drafted. I added a +1/+1 counter theme. I'm also experimenting with a blend of the RB madness deck combined with the RB sacrifice deck as an aggro deck that attacks from an interesting angle. I'm continuing to tone down the blink deck because it dominated yet another draft.

I ordered the last cards I needed from EMN from Star City, and it seemed like a shame to pay for shipping for like three or four cards, so I started ordering random stuff that I had filed away in the big random list of cards that I have in a Google Doc somewhere that I keep open when I'm reading Riptide Lab. Got some sweet cards I wanted to try out. I also replaced all my basic lands with the ones from Urza's Saga (10x of each art), because those lands are gorgeous and I'm an old man and want to show my nostalgia.

Anyway, IN

OUT

White
Ojutai Exemplars -> Coalition Honor Guard: Exemplars never really got played, and when it did most of the time it was a vanilla 4/4. Meanwhile Coalition Honor Guard is exactly the kind of disruptive pain in the ass card that I like in white. I chose it over Standard Bearer because it matches up well against a lot of the burn and -x/-x spell in red and black.
Scion of Vitu-Ghazi -> Luminarch Ascension: I've had a variation on the Cloudgoat Ranger army-in-a-can 3WW card since the birth of my cube. I decided to see what it's like without it. Meanwhile, Luminarch Ascension seems like a really cool win-con for a control deck.
Eldrazi Displacer -> Kor Hookmaster: More nerfs for the flicker deck because it's still too strong. I'm also trying to make UW spirits happen for now, and Hookmaster seems like a good tempo card.

Black
Phyrexian Reclamation -> Palace Siege: Reclamation never saw play, but I really like the effect. I'm trying a more flexible and hopefully more attractive version with Siege.
Dictate of Erebos -> Smothering Abomination: Trying some different goodies for the sacrifice deck.
Sarcomancy -> Curse of Shallow Graves: It's an enchantment. It makes zombies. The black aggro decks are having problems closing out games and making them faster without breaking singleton isn't really happening. So I'm trying to give them more reach instead.
Grim Haruspex -> Geralf's Messenger: I didn't think anyone would morph Haruspex, considering it's the only morph in the cube, but someone did and it triggered my OCD. So out it goes. I'm trying Messenger as an experiment to see if anyone can possibly cast it.
Thrill-Kill Assassin -> Unearth: No one was playing Assassin, so I decided to replace it with an interesting toolbox card.

Red
Flames of the Firebrand -> Blast from the Past: I finally broke the seal on silver border, but BftP is worth it. It fits into literally everything I want red to do.
Thunderbreak Regent -> Crater Hellion: Regent saw a bunch of play, but it was always kind of a boring value card. So I cut the boring value card and replaced it with hopefully an interesting value card.
Flamewake Phoenix -> Chandra's Phoenix: Decided I liked the other trigger better, especially since I added more burn that hits the face recently.
Thopter Engineer -> Greater Gargadon: I decided to put Gargadon back in despite everything I said in the elegance thread. I know it doesn't have reminder text for Suspend, which bothers me. But it's just too good for the sacrifice deck, and most of my drafters are experienced enough to know what it does.
Goblin Wardriver -> Stromkirk Noble: I got the opportunity to play against Noble in someone else's cube recently, and was impressed at how it performed. Meanwhile, Wardriver is a 2/2 for RR that doesn't really pull its weight.

Green
Hornet Nest -> Krosan Tusker: Nobody ever whacked the pinata. It made me sad. So I decided to try a green divination that feeds the graveyard and sets up reanimator stuff. Seems like a good trade-off.
Yeva, Nature's Herald -> Briarhorn: I want green to have a flash creature on 4. Briarhorn is more flexible and can do a decent Giant Growth impression, and I've been trying to add combat tricks into the cube.
Arbor Colossus -> Obstinate Baloth: Green's curve was screwed up. It had way fewer 4's than the other colors. I also added two reach creatures in the last update so Colossus was redundant.

Guilds
Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury -> Grenzo, Dungeon Warden: Grenzo is just cooler, and can fit into a lower curve deck easier.
Murkfiend Liege -> Lashweed Lurker: Murkfiend Liege was redundant with Prophet of Kruphix. Also, having had a chance to play some EMN limited, Lashweed Lurker is INSANE.