Jesse's Cube

(As I wrote it this post got out of hand quickly, so I tried to use spoiler tags to make it easier on the eyes and as headings/reader's digest versions of everything.)
Here's the DeckStats link: http://deckstats.net/decks/3480/12196-jesse-s-cube
And the TappedOut link: http://tappedout.net/mtg-cube-drafts/jesses-cube/

I started this cube last summer on a whim, and after realizing what a blast cubing is, it's been in a state of constant flux. I'd like to think I've done a decent job so far, since my most frequent player and I are still loving it after 100+ drafts. But the experience is far from perfect, and I have a lot to learn from you all about cube design.

The top priorities for my cube design are, in order:
  • Fun---this occasionally just trumps the others. Even if a card doesn't seem to belong in this list, if it's consistently making players happy on both sides of the table, it belongs in my cube.
    Switcheroo is the poster child for this. There are certainly more powerful and more interesting options for this type of effect, so it's been on the chopping block a few times. But then I think back to every time it's ever been cast. The trio of art, flavor, and effect is just so damn amusing. Losing to a well played switcheroo feels almost as good as winning with one. :p
  • Interesting and memorable games, decks, interactions etc.
  • Balance
  • A skill testing, dynamic, and non-repetitive drafting experience
  • Rewarding unusual decisions/lines of play

Some other things to note about my cube:

Though I like being able to support more players, I usually draft with just one other guy, and most design/balance decisions are made from that perspective. The main effect this has is just that narrow archetypes are even less workable in my cube than in most
I have a very limited budget. I probably won't be able to include cards that cost more than a few dollars. However if something is a perfect fit, or a necessary staple, I will consider proxies. Currently the shocklands and fetchlands are the only proxies I have
There is almost a complete absence of vanilla creatures in my cube. The simple reason for this is that I love interesting board states and weird interactions. It's not really a rule, just something that came about, and if anyone has a compelling argument in favor of vanilla creatures, please enlighten me! One of the consequences of a low vanilla count is the prevalence of low P/T spreads, especially in 1,2, and 3 drops. They all have abilities rather than big bodies, so Electrickery for example, is very powerful, and almost always nets a 2 for 1
I am able to draft with a friend quite often, we usually draft this cube several times a week. We welcome little shakeups so there are almost always a couple oddballs in the mix that I just wanted to test out. Right now there's a bunch, partly because of DGM, and partly because i was finally able to trade my foil entreat the angels for a bunch of random cube goodies. :)
Some things I think could use work in my cube:
Up until recently I've just been looking at my cube on a card by card basis. I just assumed that super open ended drafting would be more fun than trying to push certain archetypes. In retrospect, I think this was part laziness, part naivete. In any case, I'm looking to start figuring out a solid direction to take my cube in. I figured I'd start out by identifying, then pushing some fun themes, then maybe trying to add support for specific archetypes. I'd be really interested to hear from you guys about possible thematic directions to take my cube. The two big ones I'm considering right now are counters+proliferate and etb+flicker effects. Any other cool ideas?
I think a lot of the reason this needs work in my cube is the aforementioned lack of direction. I'm not a very experienced drafter, but I'm beginning to feel like a bit of focus and intentional synergy could help the drafts be a more dynamic, and help decks feel less generic.
In closing, Any advice, criticism, commentary, card suggestions, praise, insults, and whatever else, that you have for me would be greatly appreciated!

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
This seems like a sweet cube! A lot of funky choices that I haven't seen in a long time, outside of their respective formats. I do think Switcheroo is a sweet one.

The creature size appears to be a lot smaller than in your typical cube, and heck, than even in some typical limited environments. You're probably right that the critical toughness of your cube is either 1, or 2. Out of curiosity's sake, have you tried to see what the effect of some larger, mostly vanilla bodies might do to your cube? Vanilla creatures might look boring on the surface, but when you throw them into the mix with a whole pile of 1/1 creatures, they might do better work than you'd expect. I guess I don't necessarily mean vanilla creatures, as in no textboxes, but ones whose main role is to get into the red zone, and do it efficiently. Arrogant Bloodlord might be fun to try, even though he'd be even weaker than he normally is. The Illusionary Servant line of creatures were a house in their draft formats. Something like Plague Sliver might be pretty hard to stop. He's a little boring, but Obstinate Baloth is never a bad man. Stuff like that. It could well be that these type of beefy creature have a role to play in an environment full of 2/1s, and would open up some different deck types. Just a suggestion!

And, man. One thousand drafts? I'm jealous.

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, the few large creatures in the cube now have a pretty interesting effect on combat. Druid's Familiar in particular is a powerful and interesting creature, even though it's primary purpose is to add 6 power to the board. I like Plague Sliver, but I'm thinking Arrogant Bloodlord wouldn't be very playable. Almost every deck is capable of profitably chumping it. The Illusionary Servant type creatures are an awesome idea. I'll have to see how often they'll be blanked by things like Gideon's Lawkeeper and whatnot, but I think at least a few of them will make a great fit. Thanks for the suggestions!
A gatherer search of the that "becomes the target of a spell or ability" term revealed the following bizarre gems:
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Image.ashx
Fractured Loyalty is just.... so delightfully odd, and makeshift Mannequin is probably the coolest combat trick ever. :p Horobi on the other hand is an interesting build around/gambit.