Kaidan - Kamigawa Meets Innistrad

Kaidan

After years of working on largely high powered cube lists, I have decided to take a page out of Grillo’s book and attempt a truly low powered cube. This is a pretty daunting task if you approach it without an anchor of some sort. Thankfully, I’ve spent a lot of time recently looking at older draft formats and watching retrospectives. So anchor I have.

Two of the most flavorful sets in my mind are Kamigawa and Innistrad. “Kaiden” loosely translates to Japanese ghost or horror story, and so I feel it’s a good name for this project that aims to capture elements of both of these sets.

Some background…

I started playing Magic just before Kamigawa and frankly I found the set awful at the time. Power seemed way down from Mirrodin and prior sets which I had been introduced to first. I was very new to the game and it was just disappointed on first impression. Then came Ravnica which was just sexier with all the gold cards and sweet guild identities. Kamigawa just felt like a mistake and I ignored it for a decade.

I’ve always felt Japanese mythos was awesome and in hindsight I think the set was a lot better designed and more powerful than I originally gave it credit for. Much of the power was there just buried in different things like spirit craft and soulshift or splice onto arcane.

Innistrad, on the other hand, came out during a time when I had lost interest in anything but cube. So I wasn’t really paying much attention truthfully. Which is unfortunate because I think I would have loved drafting it. Lovecraft style horror is sweet and I have found memories of playing Call of Cthulhu when I was a kid.

Mechanically, I think a great deal of what Kamigawa was doing (soulshift) fits very well mechanically with all the graveyard interactions that Innistrad had. Kamigawa flip cards were the prototype for Innistrad transform cards too. So these sets feel like evolutionary decedents of one another. It’s a good pairing.

So what is this cube trying to be exactly? Well, a lot may change. But for now, I’d like to capture soulshift and merge it with all the graveyard interactions. That is the primary objective. I also like arcane/splice as a concept so would like to see that stick around. I’ve often lamented about how creature-driven modern Magic is and how I think there’s unexplored and largely ignored territory around spell centric strategies. And yet, in Kamigawa there WAS a spell centric mechanic that did a lot of what I’ve been pining for. Samurai are cool and where they failed a bit in Kamigawa limited (rares drove much of the payoff), we can address that in a cube setting by making those cards more readily available. Samurai is a really flavorful take on tribal magic and bushido is simple mechanic that makes combat more interesting. Ninja are great, though I don’t necessarily want to create another ETB value scenario to abuse them with. Ninja’s combat triggered abilities should be enough in isolation if the power level is low. From Innistrad, the graveyard interactions are very well designed. As a Jonny, I’m particularly tickled by things like spider spawning, burning vengeance, and mill strategies (which happen to overlap well with Dampen Thought). Shadows over Innistrad also brought back madness, which is a really great mechanic that I don’t feel works in high powered cubes. But this cube feels like a good place for it, and it plugs some guild holes while also being synergistic with other graveyard mechanics. There’s depth here for sure.

Side note:
I dislike Kamigawa flip cards as they are fugly and a bit confusing (which side is active??). Transform cards are great from a flavor angle - and they work very well online - but paper versions are fiddly. So both of these are not making the cut. That means werewolves (as cool as they are) are out. This exclusion hurts Kamigawa a lot less as I don’t think many of the flip cards are critical to capturing the broader themes. Innistrad loses considerably more with their exclusion, but such is life.

Guild breakouts. So here is what I’d like to see each color combination focus on.

WU - Arcane (Dampen Thought/Mill), Fliers
WR - Samurai, Boros Deck Wins
WG - Humans, Spirits
WB - Spirits, Samurai
UG - Self mill, Ramp control
UR - Burning Vengeance, Arcane/spells matter
UB - Ninjas, Madness
GR - Spiritcraft, Ramp beats
GB - Spirits, Warriors
RB - Madness, Ogres/Demons

Other smaller themes worth pointing out… mono black, green snakes, Gr shaman (super ramp), mono white Patron of the fox.

This is just a loose guide as I don’t want to get too focused on over engineering archetypes. This cube should play a lot more like limited than constructed. The intent is to create a very different experience from my combo cube.

Card breakouts are estimated, but I’m looking for over 50% of the cube to come from Kamigawa with maybe another 25-30% from Innistrad/Shadows over Innistrad. The remainder will be glue pieces mostly, fixing (bounce/scry lands is a nice combination), along with some cards I’ve wanted to run in my primary cube but never found room for.

Even with those parameters, this is a lot harder to put together than a high powered list because it’s not about card power levels as much as it is about finding a synergistic group of cards that will draft well together. While I can look at limited reviews, that only tells part of the story. Cards that are first pickable in Innistrad might be weak in Kamigawa (or vice versa) - or just be obsoleted in a cube setting where power will be higher no matter what you do. Speaking of which, I’m going to limit the rares to just 60/360. I may tweak that over time, but if I do it will almost certainly be down not up.

General numbers I think I have to get close to in order for some more narrow or overarching strategies to work:

Spirits: 80/360 (concentrated in W/B/G - 15 soulshift cards at a minimum)
Arcane: 50/360 (20 with splice)
Burning Vengeance: 20 enablers (in primary colors - UR)
Spider spawning: 20 enablers (in primary colors - UGB)
Madness: 10/20 madness/enablers (RBu)

I used gatherer to figure out the ratio of cards in the actual sets themselves and thought about how this translates to cube drafting. Specifically with things like spirit and arcane, I can’t undershoot or I create a poisonous situation. Basically, what density do I need to hit for these mechanics to not be parasitic and worth drafting? I feel like the critical mass is very high. 69% of spells in Kamigawa were arcane for reference, so I’m well under what that drafting environment was like - but how many where not playable and/or not in a primary arcane color combination and how many slots can I afford to dedicate without just going overboard? All very hard questions to answer. It’s fine if you can only make one good burning vengeance or spider spawning deck (or it fails to come together most of the time). That’s not a big deal. But there have to be enough cards for multiple spirit and arcane decks to exist - this is a must I feel or the whole environment won’t work.

Human synergy may be short on actual humans right now, but finding cuts is not easy without impacting other themes. I just don't know where the target for that density needs to be. I could also just cut some of the pieces for that. I'm not sure.

Final note, I want to keep this list to modern frames only. Part of this cube is about the flavor and having old frames in here will be distracting IMO. Madness would benefit though so I might have to break it if that doesn’t end up working. We’ll see.

Here’s the list so far…

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/88922

BR Midrange from CubeTutor.com

First picked blazing torch since it's an artifact and removal, into blood-chined rager to utilize the equipment. Third picked Ink Eyes, but slowly sort of pivoted into a more midrangey deck. Would definitely have to do some more test drafts before I'd show up to a real life draft of this cube, it feels fairly deep and very techy. Some cards really felt like duds that I suspect aren't actually? For instance, I didn't immediately feel like I understood what the purpose of Shimatsu the bloodcloaked was. The tribal element was kind of fun.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll be honest, I never drafted Kamigawa limited so some of the cards are being included because a bunch of limited reviewers said they were good (either at the time or in retrospect). Other cards just seemed really interesting so I tossed them in (or they helped me hit some creature subtype count quotas). Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked is one of those cards (it's a demon spirit so ticks two boxes). My first thought is you build a zubera deck and then slam Shimatsu. Feels narrow to me. My guess is the original intent was to sac lands and get some triggers off of the land destruction goblins. But those cards seem bad and aren't in my list. There are some threaten effects but not enough to reliable use with Shimatsu. There could be something whacky with Homicidal Seclusion maybe - play some blockers early to get to the mid/late game, slam seclusion and then play Shimatsu sacing everything and triggering seclusion. This list being lower powered, something loose like that might fly. It has some synergy with Falkenrath Noble too? Card might just be really bad too.

Thoughts on replacing it with something? This list is very much a WIP. Yesterday, I tweaked several slots to try and fill out madness/vampires a little better.

EDIT: There's also some super Chrismas land BS with Shirei, Shizo's Caretaker. Sac those Zubera and they just come back at end of turn. Shirei is a card that looks awful - got bad initial reviews - and then got a whole other level of appreciation after people started breaking it. I don't think Shimatsu is one of those cards though.

Here's what Kai Budde had to say about it in his Champions of Kamigawa set review. One thing worth considering is that his review is based on your average limited environment (very few rares - so relatively low power). I think this cube is higher powered than Champions limited by a decent amount (consider in an 8 man, you will always see 60 rare cards - many of which can be considered bombs - and even the common/uncommons will be very high quality compared to average limited draft pick choices). So the reality of Shimatsu is it's probably between "good" and "unplayable" in this cube. I personally would not draft it without a ton of tokens or a heavy Zubera theme. But I could be undervaluing sacing 5 lands and some useless small creatures to make a 7/7 late game.

Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked - 3R
Legendary Creature - Demon Spirit
As Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked comes into play, sacrifice any number of permanents. Shimatsu the Bloodcloaked comes into play with that many +1/+1 counters on it.
Their dominion over dark and destructive forces twisted the oni into beings of pure malevolence.
0/0
186/306
Rare

Constructed: Unplayable
Limited: Good

Shimastu isn’t exactly a four Mana creature but it’s a very good late game drop. Just cast this as your last spell and sacrifice four to five lands and you have a very good creature for four Mana. Don’t take this too high but it is another card that shouldn’t be watching from your Sideboard.

UPDATE:

Spent some time drafting the list and have made nearly 100 card swaps. Talk about an evolution.

It's pretty fun exploring this sort of list though as it's so different than a high powered cube. One mechanic I just completely missed the importance of initially is "spirit craft". A bit of background... today, Wizard's uses keywords (things like "Raid") to tell you that a mechanic is part of a cycle. Pretty much everything now has a keyword. Back in Kamigawa though, they didn't always do that. Sometimes, a mechanic just had similar wording and you had to read it, see it was related to a theme. Not a big deal, but it does make things more subtle.

Anyway, in the case of spirit craft, the mechanic is triggered whenever you play a spirit or arcane spell. It's a very broad reaching mechanic and it's very easy to trigger in Kamigawa block. And some of these triggers are quite powerful too - IMO more so than the "Soulshift" ability even. Primarily because the effect is immediately realized versus something cashed in later (as is the case with soulshift). Another nice thing about spirit craft is that the effect cannot be countered since it triggers on cast, so it's resilient and it's hard to prevent someone from getting value off it. One of the most powerful cards in the Dampen Thought deck is Teller of Tales, and it's all because of spirit craft.

Here's a high level summary of the changes I made and the reasoning (listing all card changes would take forever so I'm not going to do that):
  1. Added more human support. Not more tribal elements per se, just more humans. Innistrad has a pretty high concentration of humans and my list was just way too light on them to make the archetype reliably draftable. I do like how it ties in with Samurai and how you can drift one way or the other due to the overlap.
  2. Tightened the power band. I culled many of the weaker cards and pushed the power level a little bit overall. It's still pretty low power but I think there are fewer unplayables now. I didn't want to run more rares and I didn't add many, but that count did technically go up.
  3. Added discard outlets and added some additional graveyard synergies. Not only does discard help the soulshift/innistrad yard themes but it provides additional options for Madness. To make that less linear, I also tossed in some delve/dredge cards, so there's even more reason to be tossing things into the yard. This is definitely the most dynamic gy centric list I've ever created and I'm pretty excited about that aspect of this cube.
  4. Cut back on soulshift, spirits but kept spirit craft and arcane support. It was too easy to build a spirit deck in this cube and I think this brings it to a more healthy level while pushing the more interesting spirit craft/arcane angle. Plus, many (most) of the soulshift creatures themselves are just so painfully low power it's hard to justify them in a list with any number of quality rare cards.
  5. Eliminated most of the singleton breaks. This weakens some of these decks - dampen thought, burning vengeance, spider spawning - all get worse with this change. But it frees up about 25 slots for other cards. I think it will encourage exploration and should make some more fringe and creative deck ideas viable. Zubera need singleton breaks and so do Brothers Yamazaki. And I left in double bounce lands as that's pretty nice with the singleton scrys. For a budget land setup, that is about the best I've run.
It's very hard to perfectly support all themes in a way to where they are equally easy/difficult to draft (I have no idea how much testing I'd need to do to get there, but what I do know is that I don't have the resources). But this should help even things out a bit. It's still not perfect, but it's a lot closer. Moreover, I've done a few passes in gatherer over the primary blocks this cube is based on (kamigawa, innistrad, shadows over innistrad) and I feel good about both the inclusions and exclusions. I've tried to avoid outright power cards or boring efficient cards and chosen mostly cards with a lot of interactions that have high ceilings in the right situations.

Cards from the sets outside these blocks provide useful support I think and there's even an easter egg or two in there to find. I've hopefully avoided obtuse combos as that was not the intention of this list. There are certainly some pretty broken things you can do, but they should require a lot of mana and a lot of work to build a deck around.

I priced the list and it's $212. Collective Company is the only card over $10. 4 cards are $5 or a bit more. And the rest are less than that. So quite affordable as far as cubes go. And CoCo is not a critical card either, so is very replaceable. Another pretty neat thing is that this list only has 29 cards which overlap with my combo list (and 14 are lands). So it's a completely different experience which was one of the objectives of this project. Now I just need to order the cards I'm missing and sleeve this thing up.

I took an extended break from Magic but recently got the urge to tinker with this list again. I originally planned to make some tweaks to it but ended up sort of starting over and then going back to retrofit the changes from my new list. Turns out I didn't deviate as far as I expected I would, which makes me think my first pass at this was pretty decent.

Main changes were as follows:
1. Lowered the spirit count down to about 1/3 of the cube. It was simply too easy to build a spirit craft deck and there was almost no reason to try to do anything else (in fact, it was punishing to do so). Not sure I have the right ratio still, but it's better now.
2. Upped some of the singleton breaks and made a large conscious effort to bring Odyssey into the mix. Flashback support plus threshold I think adds other avenues to what Kamigawa and Innistrad were doing.
3. Removed humans/Ogres/Demon themes. It was too watered down and a bit poisonous. Also, older cards were not good about calling out "human" in the creature type, so that just felt unclean. Vampires has replaced ogres in Rakdos and I'm happy with that for now.

I tried forcing decks of different guilds and everything came together reasonably well. GW feels like it needs work - tokens are a bit under supported and outside spirit craft it's just fair midrange and rather uninteresting. But maybe I'm just not getting creative enough. Anyway, not sure who was all that interested in this project but if anyone has feedback let me know. Cheers.