Sets Kaldheim Charade

So... I found these cards on the internet...
Glimpse of Glory//Patch of Sacrifice (MDFC)
Glimpse of Glory u
Sorcery
Scry X, where X is the number of legendary permanents you control.
Draw a card.
// Patch of Sacrifice 2
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
When ~ enters the battlefield choose an opponent. They play with their hand revealed for as long as ~ remains on the battlefield.
Equipped creature gets +1/+1 and has T: Scry1.
Equip 2

Skatharvosk, Root-gnawer 1BGR
Legendary Creature-Elder Squirrel
Sacrifice a Forest: Untap ~. It gains indestructible until end of turn. If that Forest was a snow permanent, ~ and each snow creature you control gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
3/3

Oko, Winter's Liege 3GU
Legendary Planeswalker-Oko
+1: Create a 3/3 green Elk snow creature token.
-2: Scry X, where X is the number of snow permanents you control. Draw a card.
-7: Gain control of up to X target nonland permanents, where X is the number of snow permanents you control. Each of those permanents that are creatures gain haste.

I have heard from other sources that there would be a legendary Squirrel in Kaldhiem. Whether or not Skatharvosk is that card, I don't know. Again, these could all be fake. However, given the fact that the original version of this "speculative post" was removed, I'd be a bit more willing to bet these are real. However, these could also be like the first Ikoria Commander deck leak, which were somewhat convincing but ultimately proved to be fake.

This does seem a little early for Oko's return, especially since he also makes Elk. While the card definitely fits snow world, I don't know if WOTC would want to gamble with bringing him back so soon, given that Okotober is still so fresh in our minds. Unless he's vital to the story, they could have replaced him with a different planeswalker in the time between Oko's first card and now.

I also think the Legendary Sword MDFC is weird. However, it's a cantrip, so it's probably playable.

I really need to get those double sleeves so I can run double-faced cards :p.

I thought they would keep their Modal Double Faced Cards that were instant/sorcery on the front and enchantment on the back for the upcoming set Hogwarts: School of Witchcraft and Wizardry (Strixhaven)

I very much like the design of easy value now vs slow value over time. Like Glimps of Glory.

From where do you have this information? Are you as well informed as you were doing Ikoria where you had spoilers weeks before everyone else? :D

Skatharvosk sounds a little like a combination of Ratatosk, the squirrel who lived in Yggdrasil, the world tree, and Nidhogg, the beast that gnawed on Ygdrassil’s root. It feels like the sort of bastardised Norse mythology I’d expect from WotC’s creative team.
Oko’s back, and this time at a much safer 5 mana.

From where do you have this information?
Reddit is the original source of these cards.
Are you as well informed as you were doing Ikoria where you had spoilers weeks before everyone else? :D
I'd say it's a toss-up. These were from a public source as opposed to a private one. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance these are real. Oko and the Cantrip are fairly convincing, but the Squirrel Legend seems a bit suspect. I'd be more confident without this Squirrel design, although I have been told previously that a Squirrel legend would be appearing in the set. Perhaps I'm just being nutty because sacrificing lands does not seem like something WOTC would want to push in 2020.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Oh man, how many years has it been since they printed snow cards? I remember having some fun with that red burn snow-card in pauper once upon a time.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh man, how many years has it been since they printed snow cards? I remember having some fun with that red burn snow-card in pauper once upon a time.
They reprinted five snow cards just last year :D

Okay, to be fair, Modern Horizons didn't do reprints, mostly, because you need to print basic snow lands if you want to support snow as an archetype ;)

2019: Modern Horizons.
The set wasn’t Standard legal so it wasn’t on MtG Arena. Modern Horizons introduced the first full art snow Basic lands.

2006: Coldsnap
Between the massively popular Ravnica block and the Time Spiral block that was suppose to give us the first planeswalkers came Coldsnap. The set was the third set of Ice Age block but it was standing alone in Standard since Ice Age and Alliances came out 11 years prior in 1995.

So we haven’t seen any snow in Standard since planeswalkers got introduced. However Equipments were already a thing.

The one thing that makes me dubious about this set of possible leaks is how outright BAD the name "Patch of Sacrifice" is. These cards seem reasonable mechanically (though maybe that makes them more suspect, not less . . . :eek: ), but there are two main things wrong with that name.

1) It is a boring name. If it's a legendary artifact, give it a cool name! I dunno, "James, Patch of Sacrifice" or, heck, even "Patch Adams of Sacrifice" would have worked better for me than this. Creative has been nailing everything on cards for the last couple of years (really since Dominaria for me), and this would be uncharacteristic of them. Unless someone let Weisman make a card.

2) This is not how an eyepatch works. An eyepatch is a response to a physical wound, apocryphal stories of pirates preserving their low-light vision aside. Okay, okay, it's a ~~magical~~ eyepatch, but still, just handing it to some random 1/1 Saproling token is putting the cart before the horse. AND, if you're making a sacrifice to get it, the creature has to, you know, make a sacrifice.
2b) The hand reveal not being tied to the creature being equipped is very strange. I can't think of another equipment that has an ability that both works when it's not attached to a creature and doesn't directly facilitate making a new body (Batterskull, Ancestral Blade).

Cool. Now my players REALLY won't know what the back of their card does.

AND we get a lot of Snow stuff that won't interact with any new cards for another decade!

I think the eyepatch is a reference to Odin sacrificing his eye to Mimir’s well in exchange for a drink of its waters, which granted him wisdom and foresight (hence scrying).

I think the eyepatch is a reference to Odin sacrificing his eye to Mimir’s well in exchange for a drink of its waters, which granted him wisdom and foresight (hence scrying).

Oh, absolutely. But there's also nothing special about Odin's actual eyepatch, it's . . . just an eyepatch (iirc). That definitely seems like something that Wizards might change in their adaptation, though, as self-mutilation in the quest for knowledge miiiiight just be a little too R-rated for their corporate suits. However, if the eyepatch is magical and unique (because it's legendary), I'd think that there would be a proper name for it. I actually can't think of a legendary permanent without a proper name, perhaps with the exception of The First Sliver--does anyone else know of an instance of a permanent being legendary and not being named?

Oh, absolutely. But there's also nothing special about Odin's actual eyepatch, it's . . . just an eyepatch (iirc). That definitely seems like something that Wizards might change in their adaptation, though, as self-mutilation in the quest for knowledge miiiiight just be a little too R-rated for their corporate suits. However, if the eyepatch is magical and unique (because it's legendary), I'd think that there would be a proper name for it. I actually can't think of a legendary permanent without a proper name, perhaps with the exception of The First Sliver--does anyone else know of an instance of a permanent being legendary and not being named?

...There's actually a surprising number of artifacts with names akin to Patch of Sacrifice. That said, I would not be surprised if the card is called "The Patch of Sacrifice" and the name leak was just inaccurate (which has happened before- we had Oracle text for Ikoria Narset before we knew she would be called Narset of the Ancient Way).

Some of those... Karakas? Cromat? How is that not literally a homerun 'name'.

Leaving aside the fact that if these are the names people in-universe use to Refer to the legendary thing, thats by definition its proper name. The 'Washington monument' is just a random monument in Washington DC, USA right? Nope, its a very distinct and recognizable monument. Same for the Aetherworks Marvel on Kaladesh, the singular Mox Opal, etc.

@TrainmasterGT--That's absolutely true, thanks for listing those! I too am bemused by the number of generic-sounding legendary artifacts. Also, I totally didn't know that about names often being off on leaks--that would explain a lot, though I also am probably getting too hung up on a name.

@Sigh--yeah, that's a good point as well about names and about WotC's tradition of leaving out "the." Point to you!

@Velrun--o_Oo_Oo_O Got me there! It took me a minute, lol.

Packaging Leaked
84019d4d-r5wy5ndzxt161.jpg
Looks like Kaya is back in this set. I'm not a big Kaya fan- I think she's a very boring character who's only redeeming quality is a cool character design. Hopefully she get's the "Jace in Ixalan" treatment where they tell a story where we can have a deep dive into her character. Jace was extremely unlikable before he went on that journey of self-discovery, but now he's a pretty stand-up guy. I'd like to see the same for Kaya.

Otherwise, none of these pictures really tell us much about the set that the idea of "Viking World" wouldn't have already clued us in to. However, there were two commander deck leaks. Just the names. They are called:
Elven Empire
Phantom Premonition
So I guess the second one explains why Kaya is here in a broad sense. Elf tribal being confirmed is cool. I'd like to see Elf Vikings, but I don't think that's the direction they're going with this.

I'm not up on recent lore or stories, but what exactly is boring about Kaya? Especially since you say she is a cool character design?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not up on recent lore or stories, but what exactly is boring about Kaya? Especially since you say she is a cool character design?

The "all ghosts are bad and must die" mentality is a bit one dimensional, and she joined the Avengers Gatewatch.

I wouldn't know about the "all ghosts must die" angle, not knowing much of her story, but why would joining the Gatewatch necessarily make her boring?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wouldn't know about the "all ghosts must die" angle, not knowing much of her story, but why would joining the Gatewatch necessarily make her boring?

Not everyone likes superhero stories :) (I'm not saying I don't, but I know there are definitely people turned off by the Jacestice League)