Kirblinx vs Grillo: Non-Green Penny Pincer Grid Draft

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
If you want to draft this, either post in this forum or PM me and we can find a time to suit both of us to fire up this draft.
Pack 1

Row 1:
1 Auriok Salvagers
1 Blind with Anger
1 Orzhov Basilica

Row 2:
1 Lyev Skyknight
1 Young Pyromancer
1 Apostle's Blessing

Row 3:
1 Last Breath
1 Court Homunculus
1 Crypt Rats

Column 1:
1 Auriok Salvagers
1 Lyev Skyknight
1 Last Breath

Column 2:
1 Blind with Anger
1 Young Pyromancer
1 Court Homunculus

Column 3:
1 Orzhov Basilica
1 Apostle's Blessing
1 Crypt Rats
Pack 2

Row 1:
1 Trusty Machete
1 Prison Term
1 Resounding Wave

Row 2:
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Okiba-Gang Shinobi
1 Cloudfin Raptor

Row 3:
1 Volt Charge
1 Entomber Exarch
1 Temple of Malice

Column 1:
1 Trusty Machete
1 Swiftwater Cliffs
1 Volt Charge

Column 2:
1 Prison Term
1 Okiba-Gang Shinobi
1 Entomber Exarch

Column 3:
1 Resounding Wave
1 Cloudfin Raptor
1 Temple of Malice
Pack 3

Row 1:
1 Sensor Splicer
1 Dimir Doppelganger
1 Miscalculation

Row 2:
1 Sever the Bloodline
1 Boros Garrison
1 Goblin Sharpshooter

Row 3:
1 Jhessian Thief
1 Somber Hoverguard
1 Expedition Map

Column 1:
1 Sensor Splicer
1 Sever the Bloodline
1 Jhessian Thief

Column 2:
1 Dimir Doppelganger
1 Boros Garrison
1 Somber Hoverguard

Column 3:
1 Miscalculation
1 Goblin Sharpshooter
1 Expedition Map
Pack 4

Row 1:
1 Mana Leak
1 Goblin Glory Chaser
1 Courier's Capsule

Row 2:
1 Quicksand
1 Shelter
1 Persecute

Row 3:
1 Rally the Peasants
1 Needle Specter
1 Executioner's Capsule

Column 1:
1 Mana Leak
1 Quicksand
1 Rally the Peasants

Column 2:
1 Goblin Glory Chaser
1 Shelter
1 Needle Specter

Column 3:
1 Courier's Capsule
1 Persecute
1 Executioner's Capsule
Pack 5

Row 1:
1 Dread Return
1 Shrine of Loyal Legions
1 Somnophore

Row 2:
1 Telling Time
1 Flame Slash
1 Seeker of the Way

Row 3:
1 Juggernaut
1 Artificer's Epiphany
1 Krenko's Command

Column 1:
1 Dread Return
1 Telling Time
1 Juggernaut

Column 2:
1 Shrine of Loyal Legions
1 Flame Slash
1 Artificer's Epiphany

Column 3:
1 Somnophore
1 Seeker of the Way
1 Krenko's Command
Pack 6

Row 1:
1 Reckless Waif
1 Murderous Cut
1 Piston Sledge

Row 2:
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Journey to Nowhere
1 Pestermite

Row 3:
1 Izzet Boilerworks
1 Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer
1 Rakdos Carnarium

Column 1:
1 Reckless Waif
1 Mystical Teachings
1 Izzet Boilerworks

Column 2:
1 Murderous Cut
1 Journey to Nowhere
1 Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer

Column 3:
1 Piston Sledge
1 Pestermite
1 Rakdos Carnarium
Pack 7

Row 1:
1 Ninja of the Deep Hours
1 Temple of Silence
1 Triad of Fates

Row 2:
1 Emancipation Angel
1 Hordeling Outburst
1 Monastery Swiftspear

Row 3:
1 Reaping the Graves
1 Goblin Bushwhacker
1 Tormenting Voice

Column 1:
1 Ninja of the Deep Hours
1 Emancipation Angel
1 Reaping the Graves

Column 2:
1 Temple of Silence
1 Hordeling Outburst
1 Goblin Bushwhacker

Column 3:
1 Triad of Fates
1 Monastery Swiftspear
1 Tormenting Voice
Pack 8

Row 1:
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Kor Skyfisher
1 Golgari Rot Farm

Row 2:
1 Teysa, Orzhov Scion
1 Keldon Vandals
1 Phyrexian Rager

Row 3:
1 Master Splicer
1 Acolyte of the Inferno
1 Chromatic Star

Column 1:
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Teysa, Orzhov Scion
1 Master Splicer

Column 2:
1 Kor Skyfisher
1 Keldon Vandals
1 Acolyte of the Inferno

Column 3:
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Phyrexian Rager
1 Chromatic Star
Pack 9

Row 1:
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Snap
1 Think Twice

Row 2:
1 Dismal Backwater
1 Sultai Scavenger
1 Feat of Resistance

Row 3:
1 Darkblast
1 Sulfurous Blast
1 Temple of Triumph

Column 1:
1 Muddle the Mixture
1 Dismal Backwater
1 Darkblast

Column 2:
1 Snap
1 Sultai Scavenger
1 Sulfurous Blast

Column 3:
1 Think Twice
1 Feat of Resistance
1 Temple of Triumph
Pack 10

Row 1:
1 Regress
1 Condescend
1 Codex Shredder

Row 2:
1 Psychatog
1 Tortured Existence
1 Foundry of the Consuls

Row 3:
1 Sunscape Familiar
1 Brimstone Volley
1 Galvanic Blast

Column 1:
1 Regress
1 Psychatog
1 Sunscape Familiar

Column 2:
1 Condescend
1 Tortured Existence
1 Brimstone Volley

Column 3:
1 Codex Shredder
1 Foundry of the Consuls
1 Galvanic Blast
Pack 11

Row 1:
1 Tymaret, the Murder King
1 Thopter Engineer
1 Skeletal Vampire

Row 2:
1 Benevolent Bodyguard
1 Raise the Alarm
1 Devour Flesh

Row 3:
1 Firemane Angel
1 Kor Sanctifiers
1 Mycosynth Wellspring

Column 1:
1 Tymaret, the Murder King
1 Benevolent Bodyguard
1 Firemane Angel

Column 2:
1 Thopter Engineer
1 Raise the Alarm
1 Kor Sanctifiers

Column 3:
1 Skeletal Vampire
1 Devour Flesh
1 Mycosynth Wellspring
Pack 12

Row 1:
1 Echoing Decay
1 Nightscape Familiar
1 Eternal Dragon

Row 2:
1 Rakdos Carnarium
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Temple of Epiphany

Row 3:
1 Tranquil Cove
1 Wing Splicer
1 Rough/Tumble

Column 1:
1 Echoing Decay
1 Rakdos Carnarium
1 Tranquil Cove

Column 2:
1 Nightscape Familiar
1 Ichor Wellspring
1 Wing Splicer

Column 3:
1 Eternal Dragon
1 Temple of Epiphany
1 Rough/Tumble
Pack 13

Row 1:
1 Bonesplitter
1 Goblin Arsonist
1 Bloodthrone Vampire

Row 2:
1 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Wingsteed Rider
1 Repeal

Row 3:
1 Spikeshot Elder
1 Stormscape Familiar
1 Temple of Deceit

Column 1:
1 Bonesplitter
1 Artisan of Kozilek
1 Spikeshot Elder

Column 2:
1 Goblin Arsonist
1 Wingsteed Rider
1 Stormscape Familiar

Column 3:
1 Bloodthrone Vampire
1 Repeal
1 Temple of Deceit
Pack 14

Row 1:
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Aether Spellbomb
1 Dimir Aqueduct

Row 2:
1 Azorius Arrester
1 Death Spark
1 Oona's Prowler

Row 3:
1 Rewind
1 Riftwing Cloudskate
1 Galepowder Mage

Column 1:
1 Doomed Traveler
1 Azorius Arrester
1 Rewind

Column 2:
1 Aether Spellbomb
1 Death Spark
1 Riftwing Cloudskate

Column 3:
1 Dimir Aqueduct
1 Oona's Prowler
1 Galepowder Mage
Pack 15

Row 1:
1 Jeskai Sage
1 Mnemonic Wall
1 Guided Strike

Row 2:
1 Mulldrifter
1 Swarm of Bloodflies
1 Counterspell

Row 3:
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
1 Undying Evil
1 Tarfire

Column 1:
1 Jeskai Sage
1 Mulldrifter
1 Wort, Boggart Auntie

Column 2:
1 Mnemonic Wall
1 Swarm of Bloodflies
1 Undying Evil

Column 3:
1 Guided Strike
1 Counterspell
1 Tarfire
Pack 16

Row 1:
1 Flickerwisp
1 Peregrine Drake
1 Buried Ruin

Row 2:
1 Covetous Dragon
1 Nantuko Husk
1 Dread Statuary

Row 3:
1 Teetering Peaks
1 Icatian Javelineers
1 Ravenous Rats

Column 1:
1 Flickerwisp
1 Covetous Dragon
1 Teetering Peaks

Column 2:
1 Peregrine Drake
1 Nantuko Husk
1 Icatian Javelineers

Column 3:
1 Buried Ruin
1 Dread Statuary
1 Ravenous Rats

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So, uh I just got demolished by Grillo and his beast of an aggro deck.
Went 0-2 twice with UB Control splash sweepers and Jor Kadeen.
a6pgkeq.png

They were all interesting games though. The classic control vs aggro matchup, where I brunt the early beatings and try and take over from there. I got close in a couple of games (even the fist game where Grillo gave me like 10 more turns :p) but just seemed to get flooded more often than not. I did get to cycle resounding silence in two different games, so that should tell you enough.

As per usual, will do a more in-depth game posting later. Thanks again to Grillo for the games! (and the beating)

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
To be honest, that turn where I "gave" you 10 more turns was just me horribly misplaying and forgetting you had the shrine of loyal legions lol. I was just like...ugh..."I just wanted to see how the deck grinds...nothing to see here." When in reality I was cursing at myself for letting that one go, nor did I deserve at all that top decked galvanic blast.

On top of that my attack with the exarch to trade with your mulldrifter was just horrible.

Anyways, here was the deck:

Grid_Draft2.png

Which was great. I think I got really lucky in pack seven, when I was going second and managed to pick up a goblin bushwhacker, hoardling outburst, and temple of silence. The deck itself was a fairly classic R/B sacrifice tokens deck that I like to draft. I got most of the big payoff cards: okiba-gang shinobi, tymaret, the murder king, goblin sharpshooter, swarm of bloodflies, and goblin bushwhacker; as well as strong removal with murderous cut, and brimstone volley. I had a little reactive disruption with undying evil, and some strong value pieces with entomber exarch and phyrexian rager.

I knew he was going to probably be running a lot of sweepers, but I felt like I had the tools to value through those, and run a pretty dynamic midgame if I needed too. I also felt comfortable because I knew his draft had been less focused than mine, and I imagined he would be running a more complex, and less consistent mana base, which was a weakness I felt ready to exploit. Also, those types of U/B/x decks tend to lack life gain, so sometimes you can sort of blitz them and than stumble across the finish line, as they struggle to close out the game before you can find that extra ping effect or burn spell.

We ended up playing two matches; while I didn't drop a game in either of them, I felt like I got a little lucky with my openings and draws (as you will see).

m1g1 I open to a very controlling hand with removal, undying evil, piston sledge, and two scry lands: all I need is a threat, but I figure I lose if I can't find one, so I throw it back. My second hand is about perfect with an oona's prowler, goblin bushwhacker, and goblin sharpshooter. He goes turn 2 shrine of loyal legions, and I go about killing him, setting up a goblin bushwhacker play that runs down a somber hoverguard, drops him to six, than sharp shooter drops him to four. Than this happens.

Screenshot_10.png

What I should have done was sac my board to the husk, pinging him to death, but instead I just pinged him with the sharpshooter and let it die. Kirblinx thought I was being a nice guy, letting him make up for not using executioner's capsule in response to husk going on the stack, but the reality was I just wasn't paying attention lol. He cracks the shrine, and wipes my board.

Things than become substantially more complicated (and awesome), as I drop a swarm of bloodflies, things start to die, and he goes off with a peregrine drake and mulldrifter. I entomber exarch sharpshooter back to my hand, he snaps my bloodflies, than ninjitsu's his mulldrifter back to his hand with ninja of the deep hours and recasts muldrifter :eek: I make an idiotic attack of running my exarch into his mulldrifter, and he drops jor kadeen

I'm now in serious danger of losing, with him at 3 life. I manage to chump block ping to get him down to 2, and than the turn where I have no hope, top deck a galvanic blast for the win :cool:

m1g2 I have a somewhat slower, turn 2 aggro hand, with a young pyromancer. Thankfully I top deck a goblin glory chaser for a t1 play and get to work. He is under extreme pressure, as I have a good mixture of removal and threats, but screw up when I decide not to trade a reckless waif with a wing splicer, letting him ninjitsu it back to his hand and hit me with ninja of the deep hours. But it didn't matter, I dropped him to 5 on the attack, and than setup a brimstone volley kill.

m2g1 I have another strong hand, with a turn 1 reckless waif into tymaret, the murder king, and an undying evil to disrupt his removal, which I soon have to use on a rough // tumble....than I add to my board only to have it get wiped away again with a sulfurous blast. I get a goblin glory chaser out on an empty board, but he condescends my entomber exarch, and I figure I am in trouble.

The rest of the game is pretty intense, as his deck starts to really come on line. He cycles a resounding wave to shut off my glory chaser, than gets out a crypt rats and mulldrifer (I kill the drifter and he trades the rats for the chaser). I hardcast an okiba gang-shinobi, and than he just goes nuts with peregrine drake into a stormed reaping the graves to get back crypt rats and mulldrifter and casts a sultai scavanger. He's at 13 life, and my hand is echoing decay, piston sledge, temple of silence, with a board that is only the shinobi. He has four cards in hand.

A piston sledged shinobi gang comes swinging in, he tries to snap block with mulldrifter, and I echoing decay in response. Temple reveals goblin sharpshooter is my next draw...just need to figure out how to leverage it. He brings crypt rats down, but my shinobi is just large enough he can't activate it without losing his own board. Than to make matters even worse, he ninjas in ninja of the deep hours, to recast peregrine drake again.

Now, this play I am not sure about. As on my turn he let me hit with okiba gang, instead of chump blocking with drake. I get a somnophore off of the hit, which seems pretty huge to me, and I drop him to seven. I drop a young pyromancer, because I have have a chump blocker for his ninja, otherwise he can just kill me with crypt rats if I ever fall below his life total.

My subsequent attack forces him to block with crypt rats, and I finally unload my hand of phyrexian rager and goblin sharpshooter. On his turn he hits me 3, and his board is peregrine drake, tapped sultai scavenger, and somber hoverguard. He is at 7, so I swing with shinobi and rager. He has to block shinobi with drake, letting me kill his hoverguard, and he drops to 5.

I look at the board, frustrated than I am going to die to sultai scavenger on his turn. Than I remember...tymaret, the murder king! I have enough mana to bring him back, sac, my board, and win.

phew!

m2g2 I have another kind of slow hand, with a spikeshot elder, swamps, and chromatic star. I of course, top deck a mountain. I put him under a lot of pressure, and eventually undying evil the spikeshot elder, when it gets in a tangle with a somber hoverguard. This helps me grind through his hand, even after he reaping the graves back his mulldrifter, and he ends up at three life in short order. He cycles a resounding wave to bounce my board, and this is the critical decision for the game for me, as I choose to not replay my board (suspecting a sweeper) and instead drop a phyrexian ravager, and the spikeshot with enough mana to activate it.

He sweeps at 2 life, than empties his hand, and we end up in a short stand off, with him picking at me with a hoverguard. His plan is to draw the game by killing both of us with a crypt rats, but is just short of being able to do so, and I close it out.

good games though