General (LCI, REX, LCC) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park Testing/Includes Thread Mega Dino Danger Edition

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.

Including:

Testing:

Francisco

8d8ff25f-8b4d-4a76-a532-2b604ed8c96d_text.gif

elf-movie.gif

This set is great for the memes. Francisco, Abuelo, Earthshaker Dreadmaw, Basking Capybara, Dreadmaw's Ire, Diamond Pickaxe, Pirate Hat, Xolatoyac, the Smiling Flood, Furries, the Llama Land!?! This whole set is one massive shitpost with a few good cards thrown in as an apology for the original Ixalan. I think they did a reasonably good job. I like how most of the Jank in the set is stuff commander players might enjoy (read: those cards won't be entirely worthless, so I can trade them for the cards I actually want for my Cube). My only real criticism is that the Craft mechanic is too complex, and most of the funny cards aren't very good. All in all, it's a pretty decent set, although not excellent like Wilds of Eldraine.

FINAL SCORE:
Francisco/10

What are your plans for this set?

Last edited:
In scryfall order:

Not gonna map up until someone makes the explore post for us. Some are maybes.

Oh, shit. I misread Tishana's Tidebinder. It can counter fetches. I didn't see land listed in the card types and my brain made a wrong assumption about what the other text said lol.

Triumphant Chomp could get a custom for colorless creature.

Might add Restless cycle.

It's always hard for me to come up with these so early, but here are my first impressions:

Certain:

Just what I always wanted but better, because it's an artifact too.

Potentially:

Not sure if I can squeeze in another red 2-drop and a new counterspell.

Unlikely:

With two back-to-back sets that are almost spot on for my DnD inspired Ascension cube, I will have to put it on pause until I have it updated with Wilds of Eldraine and Lost Caverns of Ixalan cards.

Wilds of Eldraine has adventures, roles, treasures.
The Lost Caverns of Ixalan has traps, maps, exploration, treasures and caves.

All this is too important to me to ignore. I will be back with a list for this thread.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Already Know What I Want To Swap These For

Frogify is sort of a concession to a) blue not being the best removal color and b) Zur the Enchanter needing some targets in each of its colors, but it's not really a great card. Giving it flash makes it lightyears better imo, because suddenly this is a great combat trick (for ninjas) as well as a great alternative for Counterspell if you're keeping open mana.

I put in Tallion's Messenger in the last update, more because I wanted a "looter" than because I thought it was a cool card. Malcolm is leagues more appealing, considering that I do run a self discard theme, and faerie typal (better get used to that term) is not something I support.

This is a nice upgrade over Kitesail Freebooter. Now that I no longer have a human typal archetype, the lifelink and broader target range of the Bat look like a mighty fine exchange for 1 health. This is going to be a great target for one of the two Bonesplitters I run!

Maybe

A 4/4 for {4}{W}{W} with convoke and improvise is pretty sexy, especially because it actually qualifies for recursion with things like Call of the Death-Dweller.

The only battlecry creature in my current cube is Signal Pest. This one is a pretty interesting army-in-a-can variant.

Potentially interesting because it intersects with both artifacts matter (e.g. Emry, Lurker of the Loch) and self mill (Sidisi, Brood Tyrant).

Magnificent removal spell for the self discard archetype, and decent removal for any black deck, especially aggro decks that don't care about the life loss.

I might have mentioned that self discard archetype maybe. This is probably not as good of an effect, but it is a free "at will" (sorcery speed only) discard outlet, which can do nasty things with the likes of Faith of the Devoted.

I'm wary of the 4 toughness (with a decent 2 power), but the effect here is interesting. I think I want my 4 toughness 3 drops to be not monocolored or Courser of Kruphix though.

Sweet! Problem is that all of my pirates except one are in red's enemy (in my cube) colors black and blue.

These are some useful upsides on a combat trick. Trample means you're getting damage through, and destroying an artifact can be pretty good too!

This looks a bit above curve for what I want, but it's a super sweet effect! This card should be on anyone's radar who supports a red aggro deck and runs at a reasonably powerful power band, imo.

What I don't like is that this is one of the few discover cards I'm interested in, what I do like is the modal nature of this card.

This is quite a neat card. It's an artifact for historic matters, and it also works with convoke, which doesn't appear in red currently, but there are a handful of convoke cards in other colors, and {R/W} is a go wide color. Maybe it's time to put Stoke the Flames back in!

This is just funny, but realistically you are not going to have many creatures left in your hand once you hit 8 mana, and a number of creatures in my cube have {X} in the mana cost, which doesn't mesh well with this ability.

Sooo... Smokestack support much?

Holy moly, this creates two 1/1 attackers the turn it hits the board, and more if it isn't dealt with! Probably waaay too explosive for my cube, but keep an eye on this one if your power level is a bit higher than mine!

Only two enrage creatures from last (and first) time Ixalan was visited survived in my cube, so this effect kinda diminished in value. It's still a big butt and fighting on command is pretty good, so who knows? Unsure if it can replace any of my current choices though.

A descend package. Unlike 'descended' (see below), this version of the keyword plays very well together with the mill plan, as well as the Smokestack package. Unfortunately there isn't anything that I am truly psyched for, and there are a lot of random filler cards with the keyword.

An explore package. This one plays nice with self-mill, and generally smoothes well. Unlike the descend package, there are actually some cards that are interesting enough to include. Funnily enough (or maybe tragically), the explore cards this set has to offer pretty much invalidate my interest in any of the older explore cards, because they thread in the same space (except maybe Astrid Perth, but that one's not in the self-mill colors).

Actually you don’t have to.
As of today Tribal will be replaced by Kindred.

More here:

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/small-changes-to-mtg.3763/
Confusingly, Kindred is only replacing the card type tribal. Behind the scenes they’ve stated that they’re still going to be referring to decks and themes built around creature types as “Typal.”

I’m just going to call it Tribal unless I’m talking to a WOTC person.

Oh yeah sorry. I can understand if someone is confused after my write. I didn’t put that very well.

Also it was more of a joke actually.

However the news are real. Probably not super important but it opens the door for future changes. Maybe they need the word Tribal or Totems something in the future.

I'm hoping for a powercreeped Helping Hand, but for now it's more appealing than Recomission which doesn't have a lot of artifacts to return.
Confounding Riddle powercreeps Supreme Will and gives it some graveyard synergy which I'm perfectly ok with.
I don't really support sacrifice so Bitter Triumph looks like an upgrade to Bone Shards that is a nice support card for Death's Shadow since you can opt out of the lifeloss when it's undesirable.
Broadside Bombardier is funny with the beanstalk cards, the fact that it's once-a-turn makes it not automatically better with token spam, and I like the commitment of having to attack.

I would like Malcolm a lot if it just didn't have the whole counter. I like that it has flash, but I like my blue discard outlets not to be constrained to the combat damage phase.
I like Tidebinder a lot, but there's a lot of words on it that I feel like could be utilized better. I don't love my blue 3s though so it has a shot.
Stalker is one of the more interesting black 1-drops in a sea of recursive savannah lions, I'll probably find a spot for it.
Really uncertain about Inti from a power-level perspective. Maybe if it was just temporary +1/+1.
Trumpeting Carnosaur might be more appealing than the Balrog. It's kind of just a durdly value card, but it's at least 6 mana which should be punishable. I don't like the randomness of cascade though, especially for 5.
Contest of Claws fits the spell velocity theme, although I don't think anyone is yearning to storm with a bite spell. I think it mostly comes down to how many bite spells I want in green.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh yeah sorry. I can understand if someone is confused after my write. I didn’t put that very well.

Also it was more of a joke actually.

However the news are real. Probably not super important but it opens the door for future changes. Maybe they need the word Tribal or Totems something in the future.
I believe they are abandoning those terms for sensitivity reasons, that is, they are worried/convinced those terms are offensive to certain cultures and therefore don’t want to use them anymore.

I check every set spoiler for simple cards to add to my collection, and this one has more than I expected.

There's some handy incidental UGB mill available in there, and the "descent" cards can make some use of it.

Poison Dart Frog looks like a staple for my type of simple cube. I can possibly do away with Thornweald Archer in favor of this.

Chupacabra Echo scales as the game progresses and rewards you for milling and doesn't make it too easy like Ravenous Chupacabra. I wish it didn't say "Fathomless descent --", and I will always hate that type of italicized junk in rules text. This might be preferable to Keening Banshee in some ways for me, because the player can manipulate the game state to make the card work for the situation.

Hermitic Nautilus might not look like much, but I think it's a neat card for a low powered environment. It's a wall with some teeth for a control or aggro-control deck, but it could actually be an annoying attacker, depending on the board state. You don't want to take 4 damage too many times, but who wants to trade a off good creature to block this thing? If you do trade it, you can bring it back with artifact matters stuff, such as...

Oltec Archaeologists is cool for my purposes - it's artifact support that doesn't really consume a full slot in the cube, since it has a reasonable combat body and does something with blink.

Relic's Roar is an interesting combat trick because it costs one, which is huge for combat tricks, and it hits artifacts. Previously, Gift of Tusks was the only one mana spell with this type of effect. I think it's cool that this can use a Treasure token to kill an attacker. It would also have a little extra juice with equipment or +1/+1 counters, both of which blue might be in on. I could see this card working in Ellogeyen's Jeskai cube.

Considering for my pushed Jumpstart cube:

This card seems pretty messed up. Not a huge fan of stuff that uses unique counters on a creature cus it can get kinda confusing with +1/+1 counters but def wanna see what this thing can do.

This card ALSO seems pretty messed up. Scaling threats that can be relevant in the early and late game and don't feel like a terrible play for either are something I'm always looking for for this cube, and this one is relatively clean.

Not insanely in love with this but green is hurting for higher end 1-drops that aren't just mana dorks so I'll give it a shot.

Intriguing card for sure and may end up being almost like a red Luminarch Aspirant. This cube is hungry for efficient beaters that end games quickly. This easily could have been a 3-drop but as a 2 I think it'll be strong enough for this cube. Discard synergies on this are just gravy.

Nice little Freebooter sidegrade. This is the kind of simple, solid card that I love.

Not sure this quite gets there on power level but it's the right vibe for this cube. Plays well with Regal Bunnicorn.

Considering for my mini artifact cube:

Not sure if this works for me but might give it a try. My least favorite thing about this card is that it's a 2-mana 1/4. Feels like it will just slow things down hard and shut down a lot of early aggression which I'm not really looking for for this cube. I like everything else going on here though.

This cube really needs more aggressive one-drops that care about artifacts. I've been pretty happy with stuff like Inventor's Apprentice here, so I think this probably gets there.

Considering for my budget fair stuff cube:

Currently running Supreme Will here and this cube has a lot of graveyard synergies so I might just replace it with this. Might be too pushed for this cube though.

This has very slightly more text than I generally like but it ticks all the boxes for this cube since it's got +1/+1 counters and graveyard synergies so I might give it a go. Could see this being a little too good but at least without fetches it's more of a build around.

Probably swapping out OG Chupacabra for this, I like that it encourages more synergies and playing to the board than its older brother.

I've really been liking Ob-Nixilis's Cruelty as a strong-but-fair removal spell for retail+ style environments, and this one ties in with the themes of this cube nicely, so probably will slot right in alongside Cruelty and Murder.

Picking up to put somewhere eventually probably:
Restless Prairie
Restless Reef
Restless Ridgeline
Restless Vents
Big creature land fan here.

Dusk Rose Reliquary
This'll probably be useful somewhere eventually, not sure where it wants to go yet though.

Overall I'm a bit lower on this set than most I think. I think I can attribute that to:
1. Explore has just always come off as an extremely clunky keyword to me. There is SO much reminder text on it and it just doesn't feel sticky enough. It's somewhat evocative but I could not tell you exactly how it works off the top of my head even like 5 minutes after reading it. Just doesn't do it for me. I play with a lot of mixed skill levels and new players so this kinda stuff matters a lot for my designs.
2. Map tokens have nested reminder text for an extremely wordy mechanic that I just complained about, so all of those cards are out for me.
3. A lot of the cool cards with discover don't have reminder text for it, which isn't great for my purposes, especially with it being such a wordy and complex mechanic.
4. I really don't like the way they handled "descend" and "fathomless descent" and "descend (number)" and how they mean slightly different things. Feels weirdly unfocused and uncharacteristically sloppy to me. Wouldn't really love having them in the same cube, which unfortunately means I might have to pick and choose with some of these includes.
5. Lots of DFCs which I basically don't run anywhere.
6. Most of the lands are doing the Caves-matter stuff and I'm just not going to make room for that anywhere.

Some cool stuff to work with here though and definitely a lot of support for weird niche stuff coming out of this set. Some cool art too. Not super down on it but nothing here is like a windmill slam holy shit I need this card ASAP for me.

Last edited:
Overall I'm a bit lower on this set than most I think. I think I can attribute that to:
1. Explore has just always come off as an extremely clunky keyword to me. There is SO much reminder text on it and it just doesn't feel sticky enough. It's somewhat evocative but I could not tell you exactly how it works off the top of my head even like 5 minutes after reading it. Just doesn't do it for me. I play with a lot of mixed skill levels and new players so this kinda stuff matters a lot for my designs.
2. Map tokens have nested reminder text for an extremely wordy mechanic that I just complained about, so all of those cards are out for me.
3. A lot of the cool cards with discover don't have reminder text for it, which isn't great for my purposes, especially with it being such a wordy and complex mechanic.
4. I really don't like the way they handled "descend" and "fathomless descent" and "descend (number)" and how they mean slightly different things. Feels weirdly unfocused and uncharacteristically sloppy to me. Wouldn't really love having them in the same cube, which unfortunately means I might have to pick and choose with some of these includes.
5. Lots of DFCs which I basically don't run anywhere.
6. Most of the lands are doing the Caves-matter stuff and I'm just not going to make room for that anywhere.

I would like to add those observations/arguments 100% to my previous post. You perfectly described why I might end up just adding a single card from this set, even though it has cool art and flavor.

Had a Cube night with my core playgroup since 2013 for the first time in a year (I briefly moved to Europe) and showed them the cards I was planning on including from the new set.

They were excited by the new cards. But also, their eyes glazed over, and I could see almost all of them skipping past half the cards with a wall of text, and asking "what does Explore do again?" and "oh it's only at sorcery speed?"

I had originally planned on including Kitesail Larcenist in my inclusions list but the same thing happened to me when I stared at the wall of text, and while I was Cubing this weekend, I felt truly excited by all the classic cards in my Cube that had simple effects that could be used in myriad novel ways. Going to really take a beat to rethink a few things...especially because, true to our conversation per MARO about complexity vs. excitement, the most popular card of the bunch was Welcome to... // Jurassic Park. I'd like to save my complexity/wordiness for cards like that, if I can.

Also, per usual, Steve's hot takes got me to reconsider more than a few things.

This set is going to allow me to make the jump to 720, which I was not expecting to do for another year or so. Explore has always been one of Green's key mechanics in my environment, and tying that to a trinket artifact with Map tokens goes beyond "chef's kiss" territory into a full-blown "sommelier's smooch." As a bonus, this is also going to allow me to up the flavor diversity of the environment, with plenty of stuff from Kamigawa, Innistrad, Dominaria, Kaladesh, and now Ixalan providing a nice hollow-earth ancient-aliens vibe to the proceedings.

Welder's Seal of Quality Includes:

These cards are going in the cube, and something VERY PERFECT would have to get printed to dislodge them.

Scrapyard Novelties, Sundries, Curiosities, and Such:

Fabrication Foundry
Thousand Moons Smithy
Spring-Loaded Sawblades
Unstable Glyphbridge
Lodestone Needle
Subterranean Schooner
The Everflowing Well
The Enigma Jewel
The Indomitable
Tarrian's Journal
The Grim Captain's Locker
Diamond Pick-Axe
Dowsing Device
Dire Flail
Brass's Tunnel Grinder
Glowcap Lantern
Market Gnome
Cogwork Wrestler
Illustrious Wanderglyph
Goldfury Strider
Threefold Thunderhulk
Matzalantli, the Great Door
Paleontologist's Pick-Axe

"HoLy sHiT" - Slobad, probably

And Also, I have a Peasant Cube:

All the dinosaurs with typed landcycling abilities are going in, and I'm going to rearrange the lands to include the Dominaria typed taplands. Perfect designs, and each one includes a cool picture of a dinosaur, free of charge.

There are also two more cards I could see myself testing:

I wish it could copy opposing creatures OR be one mana cheaper on the flashback, but whenever I see flashback < mana cost, I am tempted to at least try it.

White sac outlets are rare, and this looks decent too plus can utilize artifacts, so maaayyybe ...

Well, if you either loot or rummage it into your 'yard or mill it, then it essentially draws you card. Or rather doesn't cost you one. I currently run 24 cards that rummage or loot and 24 cards as well that can mill yourself or otherwise put cards from your library into your graveyard. A free clone is a decent enough payoff to slot into a deck already doing those things. But I agree in that I'd wish it would be a nod better. And I'm not exactly known for cubing pushed cards.

Well, if you either loot or rummage it into your 'yard or mill it, then it essentially draws you card. Or rather doesn't cost you one. I currently run 24 cards that rummage or loot and 24 cards as well that can mill yourself or otherwise put cards from your library into your graveyard. A free clone is a decent enough payoff to slot into a deck already doing those things. But I agree in that I'd wish it would be a nod better. And I'm not exactly known for cubing pushed cards.

But then you have other options, right?
I’m not against having options though :) I just feel like you didn’t need this new card because you could already do the same. Like Quasiduplicate for instance. Anyways I have said what I wanted to say <3

White sac outlets are rare, and this looks decent too plus can utilize artifacts, so maaayyybe ...

I honestly feel that, disregarding everything else good or bad amount modern magic, the way WotC are utilizing artifacts and artifact tokens these days is great.

Here's another artifact sac card I'm at least spending a second thinking about.