General (LCI, REX, LCC) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park Testing/Includes Thread Mega Dino Danger Edition

We're on Arena now, baby! Additional thoughts from the first 6 days of playing with these cards in retail environments:

Inti, Seneschal of the Sun was my most hyped card of spoiler season and now I'm pretty confident it'll be my favorite new card of the year. I didn't process how good it was that it impulse drew for every discard. This has already come up in retail drafts. I love playing Magic: the Gathering, holy shit.

Helping Hand is even better than I thought it'd be, and Unearth is one of my all-time favorites. White really appreciates this effect a lot, and there are so many value creatures at 3 that are so powerful I can definitely tolerate them ETB tapped .

Echoing Deeps was, like Inti, absurd even in retail limited. My Cube has plenty of self-mill like this environment, and being able to double-up on fetch lands and the like is sweet. Wish I opened the normal art for this instead of the stylized one, as I love how small the Dino looks in the base version.

Master of Dark Rites is going to stay in the on-deck binder for a little longer since it only hits 25 cards in my cube currently, but as we've gotten more demons in recent years, I think this has some medium-term potential.

I saw Intrepid Paleontologist go off (against me, but whatever) and it only confirmed how cool of an upside this card is. Honestly, even just the GY hate text is enough to make this my top choice of 2MV mana dorks, but the dream is alive...even with only a dozen dinosaurs in my list total.

Listening to Lucky Paper Radio this week only confirmed for me how stupid I was to not include Sentinel of the Nameless City and Jadelight Spelunker in my initial testing list. Love Maps and exploring a lot.

Dreadmaw's Ire was sick and is worth more of a look for my own Cube.

Belligerent Yearling is historically absurd and plays accordingly.

Bloodletter of Aclazotz is interesting as a parallel to Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, but I just took out my beloved dwarf last expansion and don't think this is a good time to double-down in this direction, even if it plays extremely well.

Subterranean Schooner got purchased the moment I pulled over while listening to Lucky Paper Radio this week, I'm very happy to be able to get a pirate ship into my Cube and I had been going back-and-forth the last two weeks on whether anyone would ever play The Indomitable, who is a beautiful card but has an impossible self-reanimation clause that is very cool but distracts from the point of the card too much.

From an art POV, if we didn't just get art upgrades to these in LotR sets (that I strongly prefer) I would've been all over these:

lcc-241-explore.jpglcc-242-farseek.jpg

And this cycle comes out worse in person than online:

lci-287-plains.jpg

I love love love the style and the specific artistry at work here, but I personally saw these get thrown away because they look like ad cards. Do they? Yes, because they break a core rule in Magic: there's a card name at the top. I'll still be including most of the cycle in my basic land box, but I hope they don't use this format again. This wasn't as much of an issue with the synthwave Secret Lair cycle since they didn't come in a booster pack, but it was definitely more jarring than I expected to have cards without the names on top in sealed.

@TrainmasterGT
Never thought about it as an additional Fetch land. More difficult with the cyclers and the man land because then we would have to draw the cave in the late game.

Do you think it could be a 12th Fetch land in stuff like Commander? (I’m thinking mostly about competitive Duel Commander but it has the same card pool almost.)

@TrainmasterGT
Never thought about it as an additional Fetch land. More difficult with the cyclers and the man land because then we would have to draw the cave in the late game.

Do you think it could be a 12th Fetch land in stuff like Commander? (I’m thinking mostly about competitive Duel Commander but it has the same card pool almost.)
I would guess so! I don't really have an interest in Duel Commander so I can't say for sure, but being able to copy your broken lands out of the yard seems very powerful in some decks. It would combine nicely in a lands shell alongside cards such as Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Urza's Saga, and Field of the Dead in addition to just being extra fetches.

I was thinking about the Smithy, but I think I like Digsite Engineer more. It's less feast or famine and the baseline of 3/3 for 3 is serviceable. Spending mana to get your tokens isn't ideal, but if they are 3/3 or bigger, it's still a good deal! Plus it isn't a DFC.
The Engineer requires you to have a lot of actual artifacts to cast though, whereas this works with good old creatures.
The Digsite Engineer has been sitting in my head-maybeboard for a long, long time. The {2} always seems like such a big cost in addition to being a cast trigger. Probably its more than good enough if you already have two artifacts lying around though.

The backside of that looks like something someone would run pre-flipped in a powered cube :)

I think I saw someone mention that they wanted to play this card pre-flipped:

Which seems reasonable since it takes set-up and time to do it's thing and also it gets a finality counter and the land doesn't produce mana to cast the creature.

Barracks of the Thousand seems utterly broken to me though :D. Imagine playing this land turn one and dropping Thraben Inspector. You immediately get a 4/4 construct for free. Next turn you play a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben or something, have 2 6/6es in play and smash for 7. The turn after you play a creature or some removal and murder them!

I would guess so! I don't really have an interest in Duel Commander so I can't say for sure, but being able to copy your broken lands out of the yard seems very powerful in some decks. It would combine nicely in a lands shell alongside cards such as Dark Depths, Thespian's Stage, Urza's Saga, and Field of the Dead in addition to just being extra fetches.

I just saw the tapped.
So it will ‘never’ really be a copy of a Fetch land. It can be a Mirage land if you already have a Fetch land in the graveyard.

Last edited: