Card/Deck Loners

(Moved from CBS)

Has anyone here tried to make the Loners archetype work?

I really like the idea of giving traditional draw-go some build around components. It works in tandem with a lot of other playable effects:

Manlands:

Manifacts:

Manchantments:

Manwalkers:

Maneries and Manstants:

Other Things:

As well as sweepers in general, creatures that can sacrifice themselves...and the evil eyes:

Thoughts?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This tends to be more voltrony for me, where you are heavily investing in one resilient threat: double strike creatures, heroic, and hexproof in general. Had not really thought of it from a control-centric perspective. I think you probably want more supporting pieces there can turn into finishers on an empty board.

Thrashing Wumpus and homicidal seclusion are both a lot of fun.

The manifact that I really like is:

That, is a control finisher

I think the biggest challenge to make this work is the power level of the loner cards themselves is low. Only Magister of Worth and Demonic Rising seem good. Fettergeist, Demonic Taskmaster and Haunted Plate Mail don't really go in any other deck. If you run the others in a small cube, though, I guess people could draft Esper control with loners flavor.

Yeah, this is probably only reasonable in a lower powered cube....If Fettergeist and Demonic Taskmaster have substantially better bodies for their cost than other creatures, it would incentivize the strategy. Fettergeist is already doing some work in my cube.

The manifact that I really like is:

That, is a control finisher

Such a cool card. I'm not sure if my removal suite can keep the board clear enough to be relevant.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that the loner strategy was considered a design failure in Avacyn Restored. Even if you can swing it, I am not sure how you integrate it well with the rest of the cube.

If only they were compatible. You need exalted creatures on the field to get their bonuses, but then the creature you attack with is not a loner.