General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm trying to find playable reanimate spells at 3CC other than just Necromancy and Victimize. Do any others exist? I can't tell because every single one of these stupid cards is worded differently.

There's honestly not a lot. I used to run two Necromancy and a custom when I was on the 3 cmc reanimation plan still (that's been a while).

That's it, and while Bone Dancer is a really cool template, it hardly counts as you have almost no agency over what it hits (unless you run discard spells), and there's no guarantee that you will be able to get a hit in.

I like Corpse Dance a lot but it only works with either very strong monsters or cards that have an ETB effect. Which are the cards I avoid in an attempt to make for a "fair" Reanimator package.

Hello everyone,
I hope you can help me with my project. I saw that some people in their peasant cube cut full land cycles and uses 5-color fixing lands instead. For example 15 in a 360 cube (Evolving wildes, Gemstone Mine, Ash Barrens ...) I wanted to do this the same way but I wanted to use some "draft jokers" as some did with the signets in this forum (Choose a Signet, trade this for a signet of your choise).
I definitely thought of doing this with the Painlands and the Bounclands. In my 270 Peasant Cube I currently have 12 slots available.
How would you fill these 12 slots?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I definitely thought of doing this with the Painlands and the Bounclands. In my 270 Peasant Cube I currently have 12 slots available.
How would you fill these 12 slots?
Are you considering rare lands in your Peasant Cube then? Since you mentioned painlands. I think your cube would play better if you use great mana fixing, which isn't really available at common/uncommon. Also, if you want to support multicolor decks, running somewhere between 12 and 15% mana fixing lands is where you want to be imo. That means somewhere between 27 and 40 lands total (including the draft jokers).

If you want to stick to commons/uncommons, the best mana fixers, imo, are the bouncelands, vivids, lifelands, and a number of fetches.

I would not hesitate, personally, to break singleton on the Expanses, Wilds, and Barrens, just to ensure enough of those are there to satisfy everyone's fixing needs. Evolving Wilds in particular, has plenty of different artworks available! Do note that none of these lands are fantastic for aggressive archetypes, as they all enter the battlefield tapped. That's the real cost of running only commons and uncommons for your mana base, really, and it's something you can only fix with running rare lands or customs in your Peasant cube. Whether you want to go there is up to you though :)

In an environment where the 10 bouncelands, 5 Ash Barrens and 5 Terramorphic Expanse as well as the 10 temples are the fixing lands - would you say the 10 pain lands would be too good? I always liked pain lands as budget fixing, as they provide you the mana when you need it while coming into play untapped, but to a certain price each time you use it.

Just wanted to help aggro, but if the format in general is quite slow (eg no unconditional, monocoloured wraths for less than cc6, while cheaper wraths have to be multicoloured or have some condition attached to them) I guess painlands aren't needed? Aggro also doesn't need to have access to 3-coloured builds that easily, I guess.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In an environment where the 10 bouncelands, 5 Ash Barrens and 5 Terramorphic Expanse as well as the 10 temples are the fixing lands - would you say the 10 pain lands would be too good? I always liked pain lands as budget fixing, as they provide you the mana when you need it while coming into play untapped, but to a certain price each time you use it.

Just wanted to help aggro, but if the format in general is quite slow (eg no unconditional, monocoloured wraths for less than cc6, while cheaper wraths have to be multicoloured or have some condition attached to them) I guess painlands aren't needed? Aggro also doesn't need to have access to 3-coloured builds that easily, I guess.

They definitely wouldn't be too good. Whether you need them depends on how color-intensive your aggro deck's spells are, and how low your curve is. If you run CC spells (e.g. Goblin Wardriver and Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit) or a very low curve, where you expect your aggro decks to run 5 or more one drops (of two or more colors), painlands are going to be much appreciated.

I'll ask it the other way around:

would Midrange/Control appreciate the painlands as much as aggro would? Maybe 1 damage per coloured use isn't that much of a drawback? Would fixing be too good for 3C+ decks, so I might even cut the temples for painlands?

I guess I'll need to try, but as a lot of people here have a similar mana base for their cube, I just hope for some more input. :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'll ask it the other way around:

would Midrange/Control appreciate the painlands as much as aggro would? Maybe 1 damage per coloured use isn't that much of a drawback?
No, aggro definitely likes the pain lands better than midrange and control do. In fact, aggro likes painlands on the other side of the table as well, because if your opponent starts at ~18 life, that's 2 damage you won't have to deal yourself!

Would fixing be too good for 3C+ decks, so I might even cut the temples for painlands?
Painlands don't fix better than temples, or any of the other cards you're currently running, so they don't naturally lead to more 3C+ decks than your current mana base. If you are going to add the painlands by cutting nonland cards, then maybe. There is a point where you will have a critical mass of mana fixing and splashing a third color becomes so easy that there's no reason not to.

When I first built my cube with 2 sets of fetches, 2 sets of duals and 5 canopy lands, I also thought fixing would be "too good". Slighty greedy 3-colour decks were the norm in draft testing and I had just added more fixing. Would my cube end up with greedy multicolour piles?

As it turns out, those greedy multicolour piles only happen if people don't draft the lands highly enough. 5 lands per player is good enough to have solid three-colour or splashes but not good enough to do "good stuff.dec". So yeah. if there's "too much fixing" I haven't seen it so far.

Depends on your point of view more than anything else. There could be too much fixing ...
... to have monocolored decks be good, cause there are too many lands and too strong multicolored decks
... so it occupies unneccesarily many slots you'd prefer for other cool tools
... so gold cards lose their natural drawback of being harder to cast

Let's be more specific, because it's a topic worth discussing.

There is indeed a point in which players have "too much fixing" and the colours become irrelevant. However, I've never seen an actual cube where that was the actual problem. Most of the time, the cause is not lands but:

1) Poor drafting. Seriously, you are not getting 12 non-basics outside of Cubecobra.
2) High amount of signets. Signets are very strong cards that will make their way on most decks based on their ramping alone. But they also give decks access to colourless, permanent two-colour fixing. Cubes with signets will have a much easier time splashing other colours because they already have one or two sources of it in anyways.
3) No need for synergy. I feel one of the reasons I can build 5-colour monstruosities in Cubecobra is that there's no need to draft a particular archetype. You can pick cheap spells and bombs in every colour and win because there's nothing better than cheap spells and a big pile of planeswalkers. On the other hand, if the best deck in your cube is Aristocrats, you are sticking to two or three colors no matter how good the fixing is because you need certain cards to work. And it can be a very wide archetype, mind you, but the restrictions are there.

Of course, this is a general rule. Since you can make a cube a million different ways, you may have "too much fixing" or not depending on your goals!

I am looking for a cool azorius card that makes {W} a tenpting splash for a {U} or more often {U}{B} control deck. I thought of Drogskol Reaver, but so far couldn't get a copy and I was wondering if I couldn't find something better and/or cheaper.

Splashing a colour for CC doesn't look like a good plan. Reaver actually is a cool card, but unforgiving as a multicoloured 7 mana drop that doesn't do anything when being dropped to the board while also being open to removal of nearly every kind. Still, I want to try it as it actually looks very cool when pulled off.

back to the Painland vs Temple debate:
I guess often times people want to pick a Temple just for the scry if it's not completely off-colour. That's not true for Painlands.

Did you guys experience the same?

Personally, I don't want people picking up Temples just for the scry. I want to make it a bit harder for people to build 3-colours+ decks, but I don't want people picking the fixing just for the scry so others don't have access to it.

What do you think/did you experience?

I'm looking to cut Ravages of War and I want to replace it with another strong aggro support card that's not a creature. If I don't find one I'll probably add a creature instead. What's a strong aggro support card in white that I might have missed?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm looking to cut Ravages of War and I want to replace it with another strong aggro support card that's not a creature. If I don't find one I'll probably add a creature instead. What's a strong aggro support card in white that I might have missed?

Don't scoff, it finishes games :)

Rally the Peasants might be a good fit for boros, I might try it later.
Looking at similar cards, which any of these make sense:

Dictate of Heliod was way too strong in my cube. I think it's a very swingy card - if the environment allows you to cast it consistently, it's bonkers.

You didn't mention why you wanted to cut Ravages, but this is a strong aggro build around if you don't mind blowing up lands.

Token synergy and semi wrath-proof, this a good card!

You already have a bunch of planeswalkers, but this guy hits hard and helps your guys attack.

Is a strong creature that can play well in aggro or midrange and gives white a source of card advantage.

You might be missing a couple of equipments to make this guy worth it, but I notice you don't play Bloodforged Battle-Axe which is solid and there is Shadowspear that is coming out soon.

The reason for cutting Ravages was that I'm adding Bend or Break and some land recursion that combos with Strip Mine, and I don't want mass LD to become too common.

History of Benalia and Gideon Blackblade have been on my "maybe try this" list for a while, I might very well give them a shot in the next draft.

I felt like I didn't have enough equipment for Stoneforge, but I am at 9 now and I could see Bloodforged Axe and/or Ancestral Blade going in. Seems like that's probably enough to try it?

The reason for cutting Ravages was that I'm adding Bend or Break and some land recursion that combos with Strip Mine, and I don't want mass LD to become too common.

History of Benalia and Gideon Blackblade have been on my "maybe try this" list for a while, I might very well give them a shot in the next draft.

I felt like I didn't have enough equipment for Stoneforge, but I am at 9 now and I could see Bloodforged Axe and/or Ancestral Blade going in. Seems like that's probably enough to try it?

Do you think Bend or Break is a card anyone is going to actually play? It doesn't seem that good, especially in a fairly high-powered environment like yours. I say if Ravages of War has been good in your white aggro decks, then don't replace it because it already has shown results.