General "Looking for a card"-Thread

I have a similarly specific request. I am looking for mono black cards, low to mid in power level, that work well with Wildfire and Destructive Force. I am thinking of cards like Tuktuk the Explorer, Epochrasite or Chimeric Mass, that survive those mass removal spells or leave you value behind.

Perfect example:

But I run that already. Sticking to singleton for nonlands.

Bonus points if the cards are below 4 mana, my black section could need a lower average mana value if anything.

Thnx for all the reach creature suggestions! I will be trialling a few of them in the next iteration of my cube thnx :)
On another note, I am looking for cheap, efficient removal with drawbacks (mana value 2 or less). I'd like the drawback to give the opponent tangible ressources.
In regards to giving oponent resources on removal, white has a few that gives card draw like these bad boys

I am looking for mono black cards, low to mid in power level, that work well with Wildfire and Destructive Force. I am thinking of cards like Tuktuk the Explorer, Epochrasite or Chimeric Mass, that survive those mass removal spells or leave you value behind.
When you say this, are you happy to just accept any card with a death trigger? Some things that don't mind dying could be Undead Butler and Flesh Carver. Then there are some enchantments that will stick around and provide value/enjoy things dying like Bastion of Rememberance, Open the Graves or Blight Mound. Search for Azcanta can flip after wildfire fills your yard to get you ahead on mana in a slightly more unorthodox way than a simple mana rock. Speaking of Ixalan, all of the gods flip into lands when they die which I think would be a dope synergy with wildfire decks, and they tend to be very good on their own Ojer Pakpatiq, Deepest Epoch into Temple of Cyclical Time. Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal into Temple of the Dead. Ojer Axonil, Deepest Might into Temple of Power. Oh and one last thing, Chrome Host Seedshark or Shark Typhoon trigger would spawn you a big fatty token that survives the board wipe and then provides immediate pressure too. Oh wait, you said mono black. Welp, half of these cards fulfil that criteria, my bad {B}. Oh, and one more non-black card that survives a wipe which I quite like is Levitating Statue

Last edited:
I have a similarly specific request. I am looking for mono black cards, low to mid in power level, that work well with Wildfire and Destructive Force. I am thinking of cards like Tuktuk the Explorer, Epochrasite or Chimeric Mass, that survive those mass removal spells or leave you value behind.

Perfect example:

Bonus points if the cards are below 4 mana, my black section could need a lower average mana value if anything.
I run Yaheeni, Undying Partisan and he does things. He's not overly powerful but it’s always nice to have more sacc outlets. I also like Chimeric Idol (in theory) for the nostalgia and "free" activation. Fountain of Ichor is also great as a card that fills two roles. Do the cards need to be black?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Perfect example:

Assuming this is for your Casual Champions Cube, I skipped Undead Butler because you already run it :) I would definitely consider some delve action, as those two are great both pre-Wildfire and post-Wildfire!

Perfect example:

Persist/undying/indestructible creatures?

When you say this, are you happy to just accept any card with a death trigger? Some things that don't mind dying could be Undead Butler and Flesh Carver. Then there are some enchantments that will stick around and provide value/enjoy things dying like Bastion of Rememberance, Open the Graves or Blight Mound. Search for Azcanta can flip after wildfire fills your yard to get you ahead on mana in a slightly more unorthodox way than a simple mana rock. Speaking of Ixalan, all of the gods flip into lands when they die which I think would be a dope synergy with wildfire decks, and they tend to be very good on their own Ojer Pakpatiq, Deepest Epoch into Temple of Cyclical Time. Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal into Temple of the Dead. Ojer Axonil, Deepest Might into Temple of Power. Oh and one last thing, Chrome Host Seedshark or Shark Typhoon trigger would spawn you a big fatty token that survives the board wipe and then provides immediate pressure too. Oh wait, you said mono black. Welp, half of these cards fulfil that criteria, my bad {B}. Oh, and one more non-black card that survives a wipe which I quite like is Levitating Statue

Sadly, many of the black things you've listed are a bit above my powerlevel. My creatures are more old school and stuff like Fleshcarver and Aclazoz are too pushed (and wordy) for my tastes.

Cards like Blight Mound or Open the Graves are more fitting, but I am not sure how often they would get played in the creature light wildfire control decks I see in my environment.

I run Yaheeni, Undying Partisan and he does things. He's not overly powerful but it’s always nice to have more sacc outlets. I also like Chimeric Idol (in theory) for the nostalgia and "free" activation. Fountain of Ichor is also great as a card that fills two roles. Do the cards need to be black?

Yaheeni is an interesting one. Would be really good once you get it with one other creature down before the sweeper.

The artifacts are already in :p

Assuming this is for your Casual Champions Cube, I skipped Undead Butler because you already run it :) I would definitely consider some delve action, as those two are great both pre-Wildfire and post-Wildfire!

Uuuh, some sweet suggestions. I think I should finally try out a delve creature.

Persist/undying/indestructible creatures?

There just aren't many in black that would be inheresting :/

Another one I stumbled upon:

Gives you some life, ramps you into turn 5 wildfire and then gives you some evasive power to finish the game quickly.

Perfect example:

Looking into your CCCube Thread, I am trying to find some suggestions that work with multiple themes in your Black section. From that thread, I assume the primary goal for this request is to strengthen Black's impact on your RB Wildfire Control Archetype.

A card that could work as a role-player in the more aggressive Aristocrats strategy you support as well as Wildfire (maybe?) is:

I see that you also previously supported a slight Zombie tribal payoff, and this guy could potentially assist that strategy if you ever feel like bringing it back. I love this little fella, and I think he would also satisfy your desire to leave value behind off of a resolved Wildfire.

A card that leaves value behind and would play well with your 'Swamps Matter' theme is one of my personal favorites:

Unfortunately it is somewhat of a 'nonbo' with your Devotion theme, and I also understand that trying to mix 'Swamps Matter' and Wildfire seems counterproductive. Both due to Wildfire requiring a multicolor deck, and with Wildfire blowing your Swamps (that matter) the hell out. In a Wildfire shell that manages to brings lands back to out-value the opponent over time, I wonder if it could work though...

As for the mutli-color part, I wonder if you could mix your mono-black theme with the 'feeling' of a Wildfire deck with the inclusion of:

As they can play quite similarly to one another.

And for my final suggestion, I wanna preface it with my realization that you include no Planewalkers. I understand that you most likely will not deviate from that design choice, and I wanna say I think that's totally respectable, but I thought I would include:

I think she would be rad in your list. She plays into devotion, swamps matter, gives you land fodder for discard, and can fetch by Land Type, which seems rare in your list. She sticks around after a Wildfire, and can help you dependably reassemble your mana base if you are going for the attrition angle. However, I feel like she is so fair. After a Wildfire, she doesn't have any modes of defending herself well, so other cards that lingered would be necessary for the best chance of success.

Last edited:

This Universes Beyond flip card is what you are looking for. You can cast it for 4 mana before the Wildfire, which it survives with its 5 toughness. Then you get a random ability! It could be anything, except it's definitely flying or indestructible. It also has artifact synergies. It's the total package, you're welcome.

More seriously, I think the faerie has potential. The 5 toughness means it survives Wildfire. The evasion helps it close out the game. The Bargain ties enchantments/artifacts/sacrifice and life gain. Plus, since you are wrathing the board, you probably don't care if you sacrifice a creature that was going to die anyways.

Oversized body with discard synergies.

Or you could just be a badass and run

Looking into your CCCube Thread, I am trying to find some suggestions that work with multiple themes in your Black section. From that thread, I assume the primary goal for this request is to strengthen Black's impact on your RB Wildfire Control Archetype.

A card that could work as a role-player in the more aggressive Aristocrats strategy you support as well as Wildfire (maybe?) is:

I see that you also previously supported a slight Zombie tribal payoff, and this guy could potentially assist that strategy if you ever feel like bringing it back. I love this little fella, and I think he would also satisfy your desire to leave value behind off of a resolved Wildfire.

A card that leaves value behind and would play well with your 'Swamps Matter' theme is one of my personal favorites:

Unfortunately it is somewhat of a 'nonbo' with your Devotion theme, and I also understand that trying to mix 'Swamps Matter' and Wildfire seems counterproductive. Both due to Wildfire requiring a multicolor deck, and with Wildfire blowing your Swamps (that matter) the hell out. In a Wildfire shell that manages to brings lands back to out-value the opponent over time, I wonder if it could work though...

As for the mutli-color part, I wonder if you could mix your mono-black theme with the 'feeling' of a Wildfire deck with the inclusion of:

As they can play quite similarly to one another.

And for my final suggestion, I wanna preface it with my realization that you include no Planewalkers. I understand that you most likely will not deviate from that design choice, and I wanna say I think that's totally respectable, but I thought I would include:

I think she would be rad in your list. She plays into devotion, swamps matter, gives you land fodder for discard, and can fetch by Land Type, which seems rare in your list. She sticks around after a Wildfire, and can help you dependably reassemble your mana base if you are going for the attrition angle. However, I feel like she is so fair. After a Wildfire, she doesn't have any modes of defending herself well, so other cards that lingered would be necessary for the best chance of success.

You kind of already pointed out, why Lashwrite and Lilliana are probably not what I am looking for here. And the problem with the Necromancer is, that I run some old cards, that are humans without saying it on the card, and for cards like Werebear or Willbender, it might not be obvious from appearence as well.

However, mentioning Death Cloud is very interesting. It does play similarly to Wildfire and Destructive Force I guess. I've had it in the list many years ago, but I will probably give it another try to make black a more natural pair for red wildfire decks.

That's pretty perfect. I wish it had menace instead of fear, but still ...

This Universes Beyond flip card is what you are looking for. You can cast it for 4 mana before the Wildfire, which it survives with its 5 toughness. Then you get a random ability! It could be anything, except it's definitely flying or indestructible. It also has artifact synergies. It's the total package, you're welcome.

More seriously, I think the faerie has potential. The 5 toughness means it survives Wildfire. The evasion helps it close out the game. The Bargain ties enchantments/artifacts/sacrifice and life gain. Plus, since you are wrathing the board, you probably don't care if you sacrifice a creature that was going to die anyways.

Oversized body with discard synergies.

Or you could just be a badass and run

The problem with 3/4 of those cards, is that they having 5 toughness isn't enough to survive Destructive Force. Having it instead of just a second Wildfire makes it harder to build around, but also harder to counterplay.

For this kind of deck, I see two variants.

For Wildfire, Destructive Force and similar, Black provides cheap interaction, discard and then, on a secondary level, it does provide some redundacy:

Now, if you are looking to synergize with the black recursive creatures, the answer is less Wildfire (Big mana control) and more Devastating Dreams or Pox:

It has good crossover with recursive aggro, aristocrats and discard. Living Death is a big win here, but it's not low power at all!

What are your favorite mono white cards that make you want to play a bunch of atifacts? Moderate power level, it's again for the CCC.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Digsite engineer is kinda awkward in that I find the artifact deck tends to involve colored spells that create artifacts, rather than actual artifact spells

Your milage may vary

Digsite engineer is kinda awkward in that I find the artifact deck tends to involve colored spells that create artifacts, rather than actual artifact spells
A good point, but you don't need very many artifacts to make a 3/3 for 3 worthwhile. If it triggers once or twice you are already happy IMO. If you can support Emry, Lurker of the Loch, you can probably use the Engineer too.

There is also the fact we are getting more and more colored artifacts to help support it. I incidentally run: Esper Sentinel, Dusk Rose Reliquary, Ethersworn Canonist, Staff of the Storyteller and Lion Sash. And that is just in White!

I want cards that aren't shitty that can kill Primeval Titan most/all 6 mana creatures but not kill Kozilek.

EDIT: Fuckin' inscho.
EDIT EDIT: I have Cast Down, Ultimate Price, and might play Unleash the Inferno.

Last edited: