General Looking for collaborators/leads: budget cube

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I am interested in designing / contributing to the design of a budget cube that can be put together from scratch for <= $100. Testing would be done with real matches on MODO, with RiptideLab purchasing and hosting the cube.

Currently I don't really have the time to do this solo, so I'm looking to gauge interest for anyone that can take on the project as a collaborator or lead. Would involve Skype calls (potentially broadcast) to break down themes, philosophies, and iteration.

This can be a community effort, but it'd be nice to have a lead with time / energy to keep things organized.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm definitely down for some playtesting. I don't have the hours to commit to leading the project, but I'll hop on anytime someone wants to draft or jam some games.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Sounds cool (really cool). I am not on the same level of design as you guys, but if it's on the forums I shall certainly lurk and post like always.

I am in. Frankly, I started cubing on a strict budget, and miss the days of poring over the $0.25 rares for hidden gems.

As a starting point, I have a $50 360 MODO cube that I lend out freely. I'm happy to share it with folks here to get the ball rolling. I had to buy some new cards ever since some dude walked away with a white weenie deck, but the list is here: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=337649

I never have time to get on MODO these days, so if someone wants to borrow the sucker for a while, let me know.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/4619

I finally uploaded and updated it. I now realize, however, that you are looking to only playtest a "real" paper cube on MTGO, so this is largely inappropriate. Ah, well.

I am still interested in helping create this, of course.

[EDIT] I just ran my online cube through tcgplayer, and it would be $350 shipped. It could very easily drop to under $200 once the few $3+ cards are dropped.

Sorry for overposting here, but... I've made a cubetutor list with 270ish cards (based on my old MTGO budget cube) that can be bought right now on tcgplayer for $119 shipped. It's a hot mess, of course, but it gives you an idea of what can and cannot be done on this budget:

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/4628

A few observations:
  • The land is by far the most expensive part. The painlands and Innistrad lands average over $2 each, which completely wrecks our budget. I'm running all the signets for supercheap color fixing more than for the ramp. If we went with guildgates and the like, we could save $30 or so. Having only CIPT lands screws the faster decks, of course, so it's a decision that will have to be carefully weighed.
  • There are no planeswalkers, and everyone loves planeswalkers. I suggest budgeting one in each color, if possible, although that will also wreck our budget.
  • We should also budget for the kinds of splashy cards that make cube drafting fun: Mimic Vat is around $1, but worth it. Fact or Fiction is a bit more, but iconic and awesome.
  • With an average cost of $0.36 per card, we will need to find lots of $0.10 cards to make up for one $1 splurge. Including a staple like Fyndhorn Elves at $0.60 is actually quite hard.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
aren't we budgeting for mtgo?

Ok I read the OP, it looks like I misinterpreted. But I think it would be real cool if this could end up being a cube we can draft together online. I know some sites do this; it would be really cool if cubetutor could run drafts at some point.

I'm not very established in the community here, but I'd love to contribute, this sounds like a great challenge. Is the intent to use it for an article series or anything? Chronicling it could provide for some great "start-to-finish" type content.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
aren't we budgeting for mtgo?

Ok I read the OP, it looks like I misinterpreted. But I think it would be real cool if this could end up being a cube we can draft together online. I know some sites do this; it would be really cool if cubetutor could run drafts at some point.

We would budget for paper, build on MTGO.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not very established in the community here, but I'd love to contribute, this sounds like a great challenge. Is the intent to use it for an article series or anything? Chronicling it could provide for some great "start-to-finish" type content.

Right now it's just a project, but I'm sure I'll write about it (or other people will). The goal is really to create a good cube that people can use to get into the medium for the cost of an 8-player draft.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, we'll hold a chatcast on the topic sometime. In the meantime, food for thought:
1) maximizing interaction on a budget
2) cost constraints affecting the color pie (i.e. more reliant on pyroclasm effects for sweepers, as opposed to DoJ)
3) unique archetypes that can be done on the cheap

I wonder how I might help. I guess while I'm working alone I have a lot of extra time to ponder.

It's funny my cube designs are budget besides the lands really but I think they are all a little out there for most peoples sensibilities.

Is this the idea discussed over one of the chattercasts?

I've been working on building a cube with a lot of cool build around me cards and a lot of my foundation is built on ISD which will provide a large number of cool build around me archetypes that you can expand on from other sets. GY matters theme is probably my favorite and it's been my main starting point. Spider Spawning (which can intersect with a sac theme) Grisly Salvage,Mulch, Commune with the Gods, Splinterfright, Kessig Cagebreakers(also intersects with a sac theme),Boneyard Wurm,Ghoultree, Laboratory Maniac and these also tie in well to something like Burning Vengeance,Flame Jab,Raven's Crime,River Kelpie which ties in to a spell matters theme Guttersnipe,Talrand, the Sky Summoner all of which I think can be immense fun and done within the budget

I've been thinking about it too and came to almost the exact same conclusion and list of cards. I also thought that it could be interesting to include a Cycling theme and bring back Astral Slide and Lightning Rift. Cycling puts cards into the graveyard easily (spells for U/R, critters and dredge triggers for B/G) and does a really good job of being an "invisible" mechanic when you aren't drafting around it. It also adds value to slower removal options like Miscalculation, Starstorm, Expunge, Ichor Slick, Complicate, Death Pulse, and Solar Blast which are probably healthier for a budget format where the usual suspects like Doom Blade and Swords to Plowshares can oppress the less impressive suite of threats.

Some other build around me stuff I saw for cheap:
Proteus Staff, Polymorph, Reweave - Budget Oath? Top of your library matters (Scry?)
Call of the Wild, Call to the Kindred, Impromptu Raid - More top of your library cheats = Budget Sneak Attack/Show and Tell?
Trading Post - Durdle hall of famer
Chamber of Manipulation
Melek, Izzet Paragon, Galvanoth
Auras/Heroic/Enchantress/Double Strike - Been topical lately, would be cheap to include, can play nice with Spells Matter

I have more individual card ideas, but I need to get some sleep so I'll post them as they become worth mentioning.

Would folks mind if I started trying to organize things? I may not be able to join in on a chatcast (I do most of this while malingering at work), but am happy to try and impose some order on these discussions. I feel quite strongly about budget cubing, having now built three of them, and find that the general cubosphere has no idea of the real limitations involved. I was just listening to The Magic Box, whose suggested beginner 360 skeleton cube costs almost $3000, and wanted to scream. On MTGSalvation I received an amazing amount of advice when my cube was starting (and in fact, many folks shipped me cube staples for free, incredibly), but they also couldn't understand why I couldn't consider $1 cards like Yavimaya Elder or Fact or Fiction. I have greatly enjoyed persuing the unplayed $0.25 rotated rares for fun cards, and there is an entire galaxy of them out there. In other words, this should be a blast...

Here is my suggestion: I will start a google spreadsheet for a 360 budget cube, and a cubetutor cube that mirror it for practice drafts. I will use tcgplayer prices, tracked on the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will also have a tab for suggested cards, so we can track the "on-deck" binder. We can all make and defend our ideas here on the forum (as in the post above). But you always need to post the price when suggesting a card!

We need to start somewhere, so I will probably post a cleaned-up version of my $50 MTGO cube with the expectation that it will get entirely torn apart. It is useful, however, to have a starting price so we can carefully decide when to break the budget with a $0.75 card.

First, however, we need to decide what we are building exactly. Are we building a budget cube that looks and plays as much like a "real" cube as we can afford? If so, we will have to budget for as many midpriced staples as possible that folks would expect to see--the cards like Fact or Fiction and Lightning Bolt and Mulldrifter. Our budget is unavoidably going to force us to play lots of cards no-one plays in any format, but we should decide if we are going to try all sorts of crazy archetypes as a result, or something less idiosyncratic. Is the expectation that this is a "starter cube" that folks will eventually grow into something more powerful and pricey, or a fixed, fun draft environment we're presenting? (Personally, I lean towards the former...)

I have one more suggestion: increase the price to $150 from $100. Why? At an average cost of $0.36 per card, every single $1 card wrecks our budget, and even $0.50 cards give us headaches. This means three things right off the bat: our lands are going to be painfully bad, many budget staples will be missing, and there will be no planeswalkers. I personally don't mind not playing with planeswalkers, but they are fan favorites and would make the budget cube more appealing to most. At the $100 level, the lands will either eat up 30-40% of our budget or all CITP tapped and hurt aggro strategies. I've priced a suite of painlands/bouncelands/fastlands/checklands/vivids, and it would be possible at the $150 level. And since that's pretty much what I've been using in my "real" cube (until the shocklands dropped in price during RTR), I can tell you that it works just fine.

What do folks think?

Auras/Heroic/Enchantress/Double Strike - Been topical lately, would be cheap to include, can play nice with Spells Matter
I actually was looking at an enchantress theme but unfortunately I don't believe it will fit in with the budget. I do like a double strike/equipment theme for white though. Auriok Glaivemaster,Fencing Ace,Court Homunculus,Kor Duelist, and maybe you can tie in an Auras theme with it with things like Madcap Skills,Ethereal Armor, and maybe even support a Hexproof theme by adding in Gladecover Scout,Slippery Bogle,Primal Huntbeast and other such things.

EDIT:Maybe there can be somewhat of enchantment theme with Ajani's Chosen and the new enchantment creatures on top of all stars like Oblivion Ring and the like

Both options are worth pursuing, but I'd personally be more excited about innovating and demonstrating design philosophy in a new cube environment than building an efficient starter list.

Both options are worth pursuing, but I'd personally be more excited about innovating and demonstrating design philosophy in a new cube environment than building an efficient starter list.

agree with this sentiment. I think it makes for a better cube when you build it from the ground up. you get to really layer in a lot of cool elements.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Would folks mind if I started trying to organize things? I may not be able to join in on a chatcast (I do most of this while malingering at work), but am happy to try and impose some order on these discussions. I feel quite strongly about budget cubing, having now built three of them, and find that the general cubosphere has no idea of the real limitations involved. I was just listening to The Magic Box, whose suggested beginner 360 skeleton cube costs almost $3000, and wanted to scream. On MTGSalvation I received an amazing amount of advice when my cube was starting (and in fact, many folks shipped me cube staples for free, incredibly), but they also couldn't understand why I couldn't consider $1 cards like Yavimaya Elder or Fact or Fiction. I have greatly enjoyed persuing the unplayed $0.25 rotated rares for fun cards, and there is an entire galaxy of them out there. In other words, this should be a blast...

Here is my suggestion: I will start a google spreadsheet for a 360 budget cube, and a cubetutor cube that mirror it for practice drafts. I will use tcgplayer prices, tracked on the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet will also have a tab for suggested cards, so we can track the "on-deck" binder. We can all make and defend our ideas here on the forum (as in the post above). But you always need to post the price when suggesting a card!

We need to start somewhere, so I will probably post a cleaned-up version of my $50 MTGO cube with the expectation that it will get entirely torn apart. It is useful, however, to have a starting price so we can carefully decide when to break the budget with a $0.75 card.

First, however, we need to decide what we are building exactly. Are we building a budget cube that looks and plays as much like a "real" cube as we can afford? If so, we will have to budget for as many midpriced staples as possible that folks would expect to see--the cards like Fact or Fiction and Lightning Bolt and Mulldrifter. Our budget is unavoidably going to force us to play lots of cards no-one plays in any format, but we should decide if we are going to try all sorts of crazy archetypes as a result, or something less idiosyncratic. Is the expectation that this is a "starter cube" that folks will eventually grow into something more powerful and pricey, or a fixed, fun draft environment we're presenting? (Personally, I lean towards the former...)

I have one more suggestion: increase the price to $150 from $100. Why? At an average cost of $0.36 per card, every single $1 card wrecks our budget, and even $0.50 cards give us headaches. This means three things right off the bat: our lands are going to be painfully bad, many budget staples will be missing, and there will be no planeswalkers. I personally don't mind not playing with planeswalkers, but they are fan favorites and would make the budget cube more appealing to most. At the $100 level, the lands will either eat up 30-40% of our budget or all CITP tapped and hurt aggro strategies. I've priced a suite of painlands/bouncelands/fastlands/checklands/vivids, and it would be possible at the $150 level. And since that's pretty much what I've been using in my "real" cube (until the shocklands dropped in price during RTR), I can tell you that it works just fine.

What do folks think?

Sure, take the lead.

When I first drafted one out, I was looking at all CITP tapped lands (gates, panoramas, bounces). I think for a new player that $100 is a far more attractive starting point (the cost of an 8-person draft), and that from a design perspective you can still have very aggressive environments with CITP / no fixing (see Gatecrash, Zendikar).

In theory the finished product could be sold via a retailer as a $100 starter kit. That means that the total value of the singles could very well exceed $100, as they would be able to get rid of a bunch of low demand cards in bulk. Say something like $120 worth of singles.

What are folks' thoughts on the $100/$150 threshold? Having budgeted this out a bit, the extra $50 would open up a lot of room for us to experiment, I have to say.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I also like the group-up approach. My first step would be to try to map out the themes and subthemes across 5 colors, knowing they are subject to change.