General Looking for collaborators/leads: budget cube

Think about your/our design goals here. If that's 'make the best cube available for <$100' then ditching singleton to get that is probably a better plan than having the singleton restriction and compromising that goal. If that's not the goal, then I've missed the point a bit here; even still, concrete goals are useful to point at as a utility function in these kinds of questions.

My fear is simply that breaking singleton will, unfortunately, drive many people away from the final result. If the theoretical "best cube<$100" is full of duplicates and idiosyncratic card choices, the project is likely to be dismissed as Not-A-Real-Cube, but instead A-Limited-Draft-Format-From-Those-Crazy-Guys-At-Riptide-Lab. I do think we can work towards something that can both provide a widely useful structure for others to build on and a strong cube in its own right. There is going to be unavoidable tension between these, however.

well that list has been trimmed down to ~$110, i think that's a decent starting point for thoughts.
its pretty clear that izzet 'spells matter' is too expensive

Frantic searches faithless looting, firebolt, storm enablers, pyromancers, suspend guys, delvers and warrens / temporal fissures shouldn't be too expensive.

Dorky cards like snap, manamorphose, cloud of faeries and BTE all sorta give storm / spells matter some help keeping their plays tempo oriented so they are playing something closer to a normal game of magic and the cards can be sought after by more than one deck

in a 360 for $100, the average price of cards needs to be $.28. at least 3 of the cards you named are over $1

Yowza! I guess we need some cards that no deck in an online format wants to play.

Actually I had no idea how cheap this was until I went to MTGO traders. Like even young pyromancer is 12 cents. Which of my cards did you suspect was over a dollar?

Damn firebolt is like 36. Total bummer! I guess burning tree had to be nearing a dollar, and it was unwise of me to assume that cloud of faeries would be a reasonably priced pauper staple.

we are using CFB prices because of Jason's CFB thing, also this isn't for MTGO, he was just saying maybe test on MTGO

young pyromancer is $2.99
bte is $2.49
manamorphose is $1.79
delver is $.79 which can be acceptable for a handful of must-includes but this isnt one of them
cloud of faeries $.79 same story
empty the warrens is $.49 which is on the high end but can be acceptable... but this card needs support that wouldn't be there
snap $.49 this could be fine, except into the roil is just probably a better fit without the theme and cheaper

the rest is fine, but needs support from expensive cards and takes slots away from things that aren't so parasitic.

Yes, to be clear: we are pricing this out presuming a $100 paper cube. The MTGO version will be for testing (and will probably be a third the cost). (If anyone wants to draft and play my $50 budget MTGO-only cube, it can be seen here, by the way. I'm happy to lend it out.)

I guess you want to figure out what you want each colour to be doing then.

I really thought we were doing this on modo I guess I guess this is mainly for an article or public benefit? We teach people how to make a cube for 100 bucks using CFB discounts?

This is really making me wonder which cards I love playing with are super cheap. My boys are currently building a cube where no card costs more than 25 cents via face to face games. It looks like a zany limited format so far, but they probably aren't as good at doing research as you lot.

Man I keep searching for cool cards and hitting duds. I must not be feeling creative enough. I was pretty thrilled when I found out faith's fetters is 25 cents, but there is nothing interesting or novel about that card.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Dude! You need to start reading our forums.

The prices I listed were CFB. It's just a concept currently, with some preliminary talks, but here's the big idea:

Store X could sell a prepackaged product designed by our community and promoted by me in an article series. I would share whatever proceeds there are with the design team. This would be an opportunity to flex our design chops and share something meaningful with the Magic community, serving as a one-click entry into the cubing world and a demonstration of good design principles. I agree that worrying about out-of-stock is unnecessary at this point in time.

Part of the idea of doing it this way is that, even with donations, getting together 360 cards is a huge pain in the ass.

Yep, we need to figure out what each colors wants to do. Should we just launch into it?

WHITE: http://riptidelab.com/cube-academy/color-identity-white/
Typically, we have armies/tokens, pump effects/anthems, fliers, blink, some graveyard tricks, and wraths.

Now, what can't we do on a budget?

Wraths are really tough, but there are some options. It'll be worth splurging for Day of Judgment ($0.79), and... crap, have to run. Will edit this later!

My thing's white section makes a lot of tokens.
It gets along well with red and blue because of the spells matter themes, and tends to be very explosive.
It gets along well with green because of multi pump spells effects like travel preperations
It gets along well with black because it provides a wealth of bodies and death triggers.
It goes far in control decks because it's top end removal spells are usually splashable and it tends to be good at advantageous blocks.

I'm sorta curious about the theme of returning lands / discarding them for value in a cube like this.
Lots of cycle lands
No price listed on CFB for Harvest Wurm, Tilling Treefolk, Shard Volley or Rushing River
Bog Down is pretty cheap
Grim Discovery seems pretty cheap
Mouth of Ronom is 25 cents
Crack the Earth and Raze type spells seem in range.
Lots of cards don't care what kind of card you are discarding to give you something that is in itself worth a card.
Cabal Pitand Barbarian Ring seem kinda in range
Coffin Puppets is 25 cents
Constant Mists is 49
Scythe Tiger seems like an incredibly fun card
Groundskeeper, Edge of Autumn, Trade Routes and Excavation are all cards I've always thought were kinda cool.

please no constant mists please

scythe tiger looks more fun than it is

please not constant mists

edit: past that initial reaction i can really get down with that theme. get the zendikar expeditions in there and some landfall guys too

Yeah if it didn't have shroud it would probably be a much more fun card. Like that elephant. I wonder how much that elephant costs. The one that used to be a big deal in pez / pauper.

Coffin Puppets, Rushing River and Bog Down are all cards I'm really interested in. I hope shard volley isn't too expensive or stuff that lets you consistently loot like faithless looting.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
My fear is simply that breaking singleton will, unfortunately, drive many people away from the final result. If the theoretical "best cube<$100" is full of duplicates and idiosyncratic card choices, the project is likely to be dismissed as Not-A-Real-Cube, but instead A-Limited-Draft-Format-From-Those-Crazy-Guys-At-Riptide-Lab. I do think we can work towards something that can both provide a widely useful structure for others to build on and a strong cube in its own right. There is going to be unavoidable tension between these, however.

I am pro-singleton for this cube.

I also vote for singleton in this case. Another design principle I'll suggest based on what most people presume a cube is: fun, splashy effects and gameplay should be maximized.

What do I mean by this? Most people who sign up for an MTGO draft do so for the chance to make plays that would never occur in a limited format--the "they Bribery'd my Ulamog and I Path'd then Reveillark'd my Karmic Guide back to..." kinda thing. This is very possible to do on a budget, and it's the kind of this that is largely missing from pauper/peasant lists. The base list we're working from is solid, but it doesn't have the flash that comes with rares with silly abilities.

In other words, I'm all for jamming as many $0.25 splashy rares into this sucker as possible, as long as we can keep things balanced.

Examples? I think we should consider breaking the bank for a $1.49 Mimic Vat. I've had so many great games featuring that card... Trading Post and Precursor Golem are other good examples that others have suggested.

-----------------------------------

There are a lot of great card suggestions made so far, but for now, let's focus on white. And more specifically, white wrath effects. Are they necessary? (I think so.) Are any affordable? Are 6-mana wraths worth it?

Possible affordable wraths:
  • Day of Judgment $1.49. (Dammit, this is easy to find at half the cost elsewhere.)
  • Phyrexian Rebirth $0.49
  • Sunblast Angel $0.79
  • Planar Cleansing $0.25
  • Akroma's Vengeance $1.49
Others?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I would think about red wraths (you know what I mean) and whether we can integrate any of the "critical toughness" stuff you see in real limited environments.

Not personally a fan of Mimic Vat, but I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Most people that play edh are probably really really really tired of seeing Mimic Vat, I know I am. It is not worth breaking bank for. Precursor Golem and Trading Post are only .25.

some cheap sweepers:
Shard Phoenix, .25, seriously this card owns so much
Rough // Tumble, .25, i like the flexibility
Rolling Temblor, .10, everyone knows flashback is the best mechanic
Infest, .25, not a huge fan of this card, but it is a relatively often used black sweeper

I would think about red wraths (you know what I mean) and whether we can integrate any of the "critical toughness" stuff you see in real limited environments.

Not personally a fan of Mimic Vat, but I'd be interested in hearing what others have to say.

Yeah I was really sad about how poor midranged looked in terms of the cards that looked exciting for my Peasant Cube, but from some of the limited testing I've gotten through, Earth Elemental or a flashbacked Roar of the Wurm are just such total monsters. That said, 4 points is the deep end for sweepers in a format like that and my PEZ list focuses a lot on 1 & 2cc spells and 4/4 madness wurms.

Breath of Darigaaz reprint at 25 cents.