Sets (LTR) The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth

From the panel at the PT, then shown on twitter:
FvY22JfacAA9hZP

FvY3UEeaAAEjF7z

and "the Ring tempts you" gets a double sided rules card to explain it:
FvY2_j9akAAWEtf

just like the real One Ring, it has absolutely no downside :)

From the panel at the PT, then shown on twitter:
FvY22JfacAA9hZP

FvY3UEeaAAEjF7z

and "the Ring tempts you" gets a double sided rules card to explain it:
FvY2_j9akAAWEtf

just like the real One Ring, it has absolutely no downside :)
Well, not true. The one ring has a real downside. It makes you visible to the Nazgûl. And the Nazgûl are stronger than any man (only beatable by a hobbit and a woman in the book). Tolkiens writing is kind of sexist, as most fantasy.

Well, not true. The one ring has a real downside. It makes you visible to the Nazgûl. And the Nazgûl are stronger than any man (only beatable by a hobbit and a woman in the book). Tolkiens writing is kind of sexist, as most fantasy.
wait wait wait, back up

the One Ring
forged by the malicious will of Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom itself
capable of tempting every living thing on Middle-earth except for Tom Bombadil and Shelob

...has a downside?!

(also if we're being pedantic, the Witch-King of Angmar is only beatable by non-mortal-men, but others of the nine were afraid enough of Glorfindel to flee from him, implying that a random powerful elf can do the job?)

can't believe a book from over half a century ago had conservative gender roles

also can't believe wotc managed to make a new gimmicky mechanic offloading complexity to an external card that is simultaneously underwhelming and overwhelming

fwiw I assume velrun's comment was a joke, the ring is obviously portrayed as having downsides, as gollum can attest to

Oh, I was reacting to
can't believe a book from over half a century ago had conservative gender roles

also can't believe wotc managed to make a new gimmicky mechanic offloading complexity to an external card that is simultaneously underwhelming and overwhelming
I'm not quite as against Tenpted By The Ring as Mown is, but it sure looks like a lot of mechanics that I've not enjoyed.

fwiw I assume velrun's comment was a joke, the ring is obviously portrayed as having downsides, as gollum can attest to
Maybe mistaken identity, maybe another thread? Idk.

But! We have cards now!! I underestimated until Onderzeeboot framed it as a bigger chromatic star.

I'm also a fan of
ltr-lobelia-sackville-baggins-v0-mW5WXxMX33APXHPZX_3nZtnEzqRcm7gwd3K8kUZjWbo.jpg

Flash? Menace?? Makes treasures and exiles from a graveyard??? Honestly, I think that she's pretty clunky (black 3s are always a tight spot for me), but she hits a sweet spot on design that makes me very hopeful for the rest of the set even if I'm hoping to not include the Ring mechanic. Plus the artwork is great, and I love that parts of this set will bring a much-needed levity to Magic.

Maybe mistaken identity, maybe another thread? Idk.
I'm used to Velrun posting news I guess, but yeah, it was Seeker apparently.

I do think it's extremely weird that they called the mechanic "the Ring tempts you" when it's purely upside, you would expect some sort of risk-reward scheme.

Wizard's Rockets is a neat card, can lead to some sillyness like splashing Cryptic Command in non-blue decks for the more ambitious drafters. I think that is partially why I prefer Star though, it's a bit more constrained in what it enables. Also less frustrating to topdeck when you need it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I do think it's extremely weird that they called the mechanic "the Ring tempts you" when it's purely upside, you would expect some sort of risk-reward scheme.
Hard same. Especially because the One Ring is dangerous to use. I was scanning it multiple times to discover the downside, but there is none. From a play experience point of view I get it, but it's a pretty big flavor fail.

delightedhalfling.jpg

Damn, this card is sweet. I think this is one of the better mana dorks. We're seeing an increase in the number of good legendary creatures a fixing dork could realistically ramp into. The fact that this is a 1/2 coupled with that powerful second ability makes me think that this card beats a lot of the normal old Llanowar Elves variants.
Yes and no. The one green is often a lot better than a colourless (Eldrazi shizzle/fake 6th colour forgetting) when playing more than one colour.
You need a shitload of legendaries to have the second ability be worth it.
Yes, the 1/2 as opposed to the 1/1 is important. But does it really matter for a mana dork?

tl:dr: it is a different variant of the og elves. Is it better? Mwah.

Can anyone answer this question for me:

Is The Lord of the Rings part of the Universes Beyond that will get its cards reprinted in a Standard-legal set one day like The Walking Dead were and gets in Wilds of Eldraine?

… or do I have to run Halflings in my Cube and Commander decks….?

Also why are they called halflings when halflings as a word was invented to bypass the copyright that Tolkien has on hobbits? They could literally be hobbits in this particular set.

Also why are they called halflings when halflings as a word was invented to bypass the copyright that Tolkien has on hobbits? They could literally be hobbits in this particular set.
My guess is backwards compatibility. Look at how much of a pain it is that the characters from the WH40K decks are Astartes and not humans, but picture that in a Modern where tribal can actually play a role.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can anyone answer this question for me:

Is The Lord of the Rings part of the Universes Beyond that will get its cards reprinted in a Standard-legal set one day like The Walking Dead were and gets in Wilds of Eldraine?

… or do I have to run Halflings in my Cube and Commander decks….?

"The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth is modern legal and comprised of Draft, Set, Collector, and Jumpstart Boosters, Commander decks, a Starter Kit, a Bundle and Gift Bundle, Scene Boxes, and Secret Lair drops." (emphasis mine)

Source: WotC.

So the set is not Standard-legal, but you can take the cards to Modern (and presumably Legacy and Vintage) tournaments!

No, that's currently only for Secret Lair exclusives. They might make in-universe reprints for certain other UB cards, but are unlikely to do so for all of them (like all of the warhammer 40k cards)

delightedhalfling.jpg

Damn, this card is sweet. I think this is one of the better mana dorks. We're seeing an increase in the number of good legendary creatures a fixing dork could realistically ramp into. The fact that this is a 1/2 coupled with that powerful second ability makes me think that this card beats a lot of the normal old Llanowar Elves variants.
I just made a thread for an Eldrazi cube with a legends subtheme. This adds <> AND supports that theme?!?!